ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

Just purchased 100 shares @ $5.39. Stay tuned.
If you are looking for income, you might look at JEPI and JEPQ. These are JP Morgan ETFs which write covered calls against large cap growth companies to generate extra income. You still participate in some of the growth of the underlying stocks while getting 7.5%-9.5% dividends. The JEPQ is NASDAQ focused and JEPI is more diversified. Dividends are paid monthly and is taxed as ordinary income rather than qualified dividends. Thus its better to hold this investment in an IRA/401k account if you are in an upper tax bracket.

Last edited:
If you are looking for income, you might look at JEPI and JEPQ. These are JP Morgan ETFs which write covered calls against large cap growth companies to generate extra income. You still participate in some of the growth of the underlying stocks while getting 7.5%-9.5% dividends. The JEPQ is NASDAQ focused and JEPI is more diversified. Dividends are paid monthly and is taxed as ordinary income rather than qualified dividends. Thus its better to hold this investment in an IRA/401k account.
Looked at JEPQ a while back. May give another look later. Thanks.

If you are looking for income, you might look at JEPI and JEPQ. These are JP Morgan ETFs which write covered calls against large cap growth companies to generate extra income. You still participate in some of the growth of the underlying stocks while getting 7.5%-9.5% dividends. The JEPQ is NASDAQ focused and JEPI is more diversified. Dividends are paid monthly and is taxed as ordinary income rather than qualified dividends. Thus its better to hold this investment in an IRA/401k account.
Looked at JEPQ a while back. May give another look later. Thanks.

I purchased some. Thanks!

Reactions: DSmith21
ALLY down 17.6%. Owned the stock since market meltdown, 2020. Not pretty.
Ally said that its clients were under increased financial stress which hurt the stock. Also Jamie Dimon made some negative comments about the economy. The bank stocks are all getting hit. JPM is off 5%.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
I am retirement age, so income is a little more of a priority than growth ... but I like a bit of both ... thus, I own a bit of JEPI and JEPQ.

Got a general question. Just had to setup my Wife's Roth Ira and transfer her old 401k to Vangaurd IRA (Her job doesn't offer one). She's 37 and collectively, she only has like 30k in there (.. i know). I have a 401k and a roth Ira, and both have been funded pretty aggressively for 10+ years, I'm on track for myself very well, but for my whole family (seeing as how her retirement is starting from scratch), it's hard to say.

I kind of have a "set it and forget it" with the retirement accounts. Both of mine are in target funds for 2050, and that's what her Roth IRA is as well. I'm about to invest her company's rollover one, and I just wants to know: should I spread this out more into different funds, target dates, etc? Or is it more or less fine with using the same target funds?

Got a general question. Just had to setup my Wife's Roth Ira and transfer her old 401k to Vangaurd IRA (Her job doesn't offer one). She's 37 and collectively, she only has like 30k in there (.. i know). I have a 401k and a roth Ira, and both have been funded pretty aggressively for 10+ years, I'm on track for myself very well, but for my whole family (seeing as how her retirement is starting from scratch), it's hard to say.

I kind of have a "set it and forget it" with the retirement accounts. Both of mine are in target funds for 2050, and that's what her Roth IRA is as well. I'm about to invest her company's rollover one, and I just wants to know: should I spread this out more into different funds, target dates, etc? Or is it more or less fine with using the same target funds?
I'm currently investing with a target fund, Blackrock Target 2025 for my 401K. Fund assets will soon transition into Blackrock Target 2030. Total return so far: 3.28%. Kinda crappy. Most under-performing retirement asset in my portfolio. However, I'm also dollar-cost averaging into the fund monthly.

Check with a couple posters here. A few posses some solid financial planning experience. They can provide much better advice than I.

Good luck.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14

37 is young with a lot of runway, I would favor a total stock market index fund, an S&P 500, or a 2060 fund as that will be more stock heavy than a 2050. Also not sure if you’ve read it or not but there’s a book called “the little common sense book of investing” by Bogle who started Vanguard that is a super easy and simple read that provides great insight imo.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14

I don't like putting everything into one fund (even though its diversified). That 2050 fund has underperformed Vanguard's S&P 500 fund fairly significantly over the 5 and 10 year time frames. At a minimum, I would put a portion of your money in the S&P 500 fund and monitor the performance of the funds over time.

Last edited:
For those looking for monthly income from relatively safer investments, you might look at these ETFs.
Data was obtained from Charles Scwhab ETF screener. Due diligence warranted, as always, of course:
ETFMorningstarMorningstarCurrentExpenseDate
SymbolTypeOverallRiskYieldRatioPaid
VRPPreferred5-StarBelow Average6.03%
0.50%​
23​
FTSLLoan4-StarLow7.55%
0.87%​
30​
SJNKBond4-StarBelow Average7.44%
0.40%​
6​
SHYGBond4-StarBelow Average6.38%
0.30%​
6​
HYSBond4-StarBelow Average6.58%
0.56%​
5​
BSJPEquity4-StarBelow Average6.23%
0.42%​
23​
JEPIEquity4-StarBelow Average6.73%
0.35%​
5​
BKLNLoan3-StarLow8.25%
0.65%​
23​
SRLNLoan3-StarAverage8.64%
0.70%​
6​

Last edited:
Reactions: AustinTXCat
For those looking for monthly income from relatively safer investments, you might look at these ETFs.
Due diligence recommended, as always, of course:
ETFMorningstarMorningstarCurrentExpenseDate
SymbolTypeOverallRiskYieldRatioPaid
VRPPreferred5-StarBelow Average6.03%
0.50%​
23​
FTSLLoan4-StarLow7.55%
0.87%​
30​
SJNKBond4-StarBelow Average7.44%
0.40%​
6​
SHYGBond4-StarBelow Average6.38%
0.30%​
6​
HYSBond4-StarBelow Average6.58%
0.56%​
5​
BSJPEquity4-StarBelow Average6.23%
0.42%​
23​
JEPIEquity4-StarBelow Average6.73%
0.35%​
5​
BKLNLoan3-StarLow8.25%
0.65%​
23​
SRLNLoan3-StarAverage8.64%
0.70%​
6​
Can you include PDI to the chart?

Can you include PDI to the chart?
I got my information by screening ETFs through Schwab. I will see how PDI stacks up. I primarily screened for Morningstar 5 and 4 star rankings ... and for ETFs with over $1,000,000,000 in asset value. Using ETF screeners (and other screeners, of course) is a good place to hunt for investments that fit personal risk/reward and investment profiles and objectives, imho.

PDI is a closed end investment fund, versus an ETF. My listing strictly included ETF's that I screened for relative safety as income producers, while attempting to preserve invested dollars.

Here is what Schwab shows for PDI:
1) Morningstar: Overall 4-star, 3-year 4-star, 5-year 3-star, 10-year 4-star
2) Morningstar historic return: Above average
3) Morningstar historic risk: Above average
4) Market Edge is LONG as of 10/04/24
5) Current premium to NAV is 18.21%. with closing NAV of $17.41, as of 10/04/24.

Per Yahoo Finance for PDI:
1) Forward annual dividend yield of 16.65%
2) Forward annual dividend rate of $2.65
3) 5-year average dividend yield of 10.65%
4) Payout ratio of 394.93%
5) Held by institutions at 15.42%
6) 52-week change of 21.22%

Looking at the Max Chart, it appears to be a stock that pays a high monthly dividend, but has experienced gradual principal erosion. If purchased for the long-term, my quick impression is that DRIP-investing may yield an overall increase in total value, but I'm not sure of it. Due diligence and discussion with those much smarter and qualified than me are warranted.

I am retired (age 72) and it does not suit my primary investment objectives of current income and capital preservation.
Fwiw ... I do own a PIMCO closed-end fund, symbol PTY. Along with DNP, they are the only closed-end funds I currently own.

"The Fund seeks current income as a primary objective and capital appreciation as a secondary objective. The Fund seeks to achieve its investment objectives by utilizing a dynamic asset allocation strategy among multiple fixed income sectors in the global credit markets, including corporate debt, mortgage-related and other asset-backed securities, government and sovereign debt, taxable municipal bonds and other fixed-, variable- and floating-rate income-producing securities of U.S. and foreign issuers, including emerging market issuers." ... per Schwab.

GOOD LUCK with PDI and all of your other investments.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayoman
I got my information by screening ETFs through Schwab. I will see how PDI stacks up. I primarily screened for Morningstar 5 and 4 star rankings ... and for ETFs with over $1,000,000,000 in asset value. Using ETF screeners (and other screeners, of course) is a good place to hunt for investments that fit personal risk/reward and investment profiles and objectives, imho.

PDI is a closed end investment fund, versus an ETF. My listing strictly included ETF's that I screened for relative safety as income producers, while attempting to preserve invested dollars.

Here is what Schwab shows for PDI:
1) Morningstar: Overall 4-star, 3-year 4-star, 5-year 3-star, 10-year 4-star
2) Morningstar historic return: Above average
3) Morningstar historic risk: Above average
4) Market Edge is LONG as of 10/04/24
5) Current premium to NAV is 18.21%. with closing NAV of $17.41, as of 10/04/24.

Per Yahoo Finance for PDI:
1) Forward annual dividend yield of 16.65%
2) Forward annual dividend rate of $2.65
3) 5-year average dividend yield of 10.65%
4) Payout ratio of 394.93%
5) Held by institutions at 15.42%
6) 52-week change of 21.22%

Looking at the Max Chart, it appears to be a stock that pays a high monthly dividend, but has experienced gradual principal erosion. If purchased for the long-term, my quick impression is that DRIP-investing may yield an overall increase in total value, but I'm not sure of it. Due diligence and discussion with those much smarter and qualified than me are warranted.

I am retired (age 72) and it does not suit my primary investment objectives of current income and capital preservation.
Fwiw ... I do own a PIMCO closed-end fund, symbol PTY. Along with DNP, they are the only closed-end funds I currently own.

"The Fund seeks current income as a primary objective and capital appreciation as a secondary objective. The Fund seeks to achieve its investment objectives by utilizing a dynamic asset allocation strategy among multiple fixed income sectors in the global credit markets, including corporate debt, mortgage-related and other asset-backed securities, government and sovereign debt, taxable municipal bonds and other fixed-, variable- and floating-rate income-producing securities of U.S. and foreign issuers, including emerging market issuers." ... per Schwab.

GOOD LUCK with PDI and all of your other investments.
TY for your very thorough reply.

One of my longtime freinds that is 71 spurred me to invest in this monthyl income vehicle. I have been pretty satisfied with its steady prodution as has he. It was his broker that sold the idea to him and then he to me. We both watch it closely as does his broker.

The most imnportant thing to both of us is the nice dividend that it pays consistently...we have not experienced any principal erosion since buying this stock but have riden an increase in value so far. I also own JEPI and it does pretty well for monthly income just not as well as PDI.

Again TY for your time and reply. Good fortune to you too.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT