ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

SLB nice 50% move from the mid-November breakout. Currently at resistance area, but once breaks on into $30's, should see a little run on up to $38ish.

Reactions: lz
Used a portion of IRA sales last week to get into TIPS if inflation is indeed rising for a prolonged period from here on out. I'm using STIP for this purpose.

From experience Covid worries still hurting cruise companies into early fall in Europe, I don’t know about points south, think out to 2022 and things will really be open.

Agreed. I’d certainly buy in slow over time. Any hiccups in Covid recovery and these will be the first stocks to fall.

Stimulus passed. Biden signs on Friday for some reason.....instead of now.

Of course, many are expecting a good dose of technology and alternative energy funds to be wrapped up in the bill. Also, I would expect the recovery stocks (airlines, gas, cruise lines, hotels/rentals) will see a jump from public spending.

Going up again today.

Some interesting things in the stimulus package as they "might" relay to the market.

1. They are looking to make the first $10,000 of unemployment pay tax free.
2. They are looking to give parents $250-300 per child per month from July-December as an advancement on the tax credit.......details are still being worked out.
3. Although no student loan forgiveness has been laid out yet, they did put in a provision that any forgiveness made over the next 4-5 yrs will be tax free......so, it's likely they are preparing to pay back some loans.

Reactions: jameslee32 and lz
Stimulus passed. Biden signs on Friday for some reason.....instead of now.

Of course, many are expecting a good dose of technology and alternative energy funds to be wrapped up in the bill. Also, I would expect the recovery stocks (airlines, gas, cruise lines, hotels/rentals) will see a jump from public spending.
He signed it today. It's a tailwind for retail stocks if you ask me. I think I read more than 80% of Americans will receive the $1400 alone.

With the recent rotation out of growth and tech, SPACs took a big dip back (too big of a dip and oversold a lot of SPACs) ... so rather than the normal swing plays I like with SPACs, I bought up the dip for some long plays with some of more conservative revenue (value over hype) generating SPACs.

Bought WPF (Alight) below the NAV at $9.98. Virtually a zero risk play. I think over the course of months/next couple of years this could get a 2x-3x return.

Same thing for BFT (Paysafe), adding to my position below $13, much like WPF, I think this could get 2x-3x in similar timeframe if not sooner ... BFT is getting ready to merge end of March, so it could pop up a bit sooner.

Also went with some longer play low risk value type SPACs with GSAH at $11 and CRHC at the $10 NAV, and parked some funds there in the midst of this volatility hoping to get a decent pop when the DA is made.

Still have some swing positions on IPOF, GIK, THCB, THBR, NGA ... all of which I think have some potential.

We will see how it goes ... whether volume returns to some of these more conservative SPAC plays or not ... not necessarily expecting the FOMO though.

Reactions: warrior-cat
With the recent rotation out of growth and tech, SPACs took a big dip back (too big of a dip and oversold a lot of SPACs) ... so rather than the normal swing plays I like with SPACs, I bought up the dip for some long plays with some of more conservative revenue (value over hype) generating SPACs.

Bought WPF (Alight) below the NAV at $9.98. Virtually a zero risk play. I think over the course of months/next couple of years this could get a 2x-3x return.

Same thing for BFT (Paysafe), adding to my position below $13, much like WPF, I think this could get 2x-3x in similar timeframe if not sooner ... BFT is getting ready to merge end of March, so it could pop up a bit sooner.

Also went with some longer play low risk value type SPACs with GSAH at $11 and CRHC at the $10 NAV, and parked some funds there in the midst of this volatility hoping to get a decent pop when the DA is made.

Still have some swing positions on IPOF, GIK, THCB, THBR, NGA ... all of which I think have some potential.

We will see how it goes ... whether volume returns to some of these more conservative SPAC plays or not ... not necessarily expecting the FOMO though.

Are you using a trading account or Roth?

Also, any targets for GSAH CRHC

I bought a couple SPACs too:
FTOC (Payoneer)
NEBC (Rover)

I’m looking to buy TSIA (Latch) tomorrow.

Are you using a trading account or Roth?

Also, any targets for GSAH CRHC

Both investment methods.

And, no firm rumored targets for either ... GSAH may be crypto or fintech, it actually has just a little fomo because it is Goldman Sachs ... it’s not clear yet on CRHC .... all of the stocktwits want it to be Plaid. I am investing in both based on the SPAC management track record and history, ownership and financials.

Both have about 1B market cap, GSAH about 25% public ownership and CRHC a little over 30%.

Reactions: gobigblue812
All of my 401k is pretax. I started a Roth last year and maxed it out $7000. I'm considering on changing my contributions to partial or total Roth contributions in the near future. Obviously, the only downside is not getting the tax break now.

For those of you with 401k, what are you guys doing?

All of my 401k is pretax. I started a Roth last year and maxed it out $7000. I'm considering on changing my contributions to partial or total Roth contributions in the near future. Obviously, the only downside is not getting the tax break now.

Me too. I maxed out a Roth IRA in 2020 and am putting future contributions in a Roth 401k with 10% small-cap exposure.
Also been rebalancing a Fidelity 401k. I took 25% of an S&P index fund and invested in FLPSX. A fund I owed back in the day that has some mid-cap cyclical exposure to retail.

I contribute just enough to the 401k to catch my company match.....then dump into a Roth. Anything over the allowed amount goes back into the 401.

As far as what I’m invested in, my work 401k only allows for about 20-30 options. I’m spread fairly even among many of these but weighted more with S&P......mixed large, medium, small cap funds.....down to bond, etc.

I max my Roth IRA and contribute 15% in my Roth 401k. And then I have RSUs from my employer, investments in Bitcoin and a personal brokerage account. I’m still learning myself.

Reactions: jameslee32
Are there any value investments anyone would recommend? I’m getting worried that I’m overexposed to tech and growth. I just added Walmart and Proctor & Gamble to my portfolio.

Are there any value investments anyone would recommend? I’m getting worried that I’m overexposed to tech and growth. I just added Walmart and Proctor & Gamble to my portfolio.

At some point the cruise lines will go up. Also, Boeing is likely a good value play.......the question is when will it go up?

Another one that's a bit out there. More and more analysts are saying that Disney is a value play........even after skyrocketing to close to $200/share. The idea is that the Disney+ train has barely left the station, the parks are not a full go, and sports/ESPN are still not a full go.

The reopening stocks have been major winners in this market. I'm not saying to chase but they might have much more room to grow. DIS went up so much so fast that I sold about 25%. Anything related to travel and energy has been yuge!

Large-cap value is another way to play. My long time favorite CSCO has really taken off in this rotation. Small-cap value is one more way to play. A name I picked up late last year M has more than tripled and has now become a mid-cap stock. I would definitely consider value ETF's at this point as well.

Reactions: Juvellino
Get ready. Jerome Powell is getting ready to speak this afternoon. Last time he spoke the market dropped out of panic even though he everything he said was completely benign.......in fact, it was rather positive. The market is very sensitive and fickle right now...... Might be a good time for some buys if you can get on the trigger fast enough in a drop.....

Reactions: Juvellino and lz
What kind of companies will you guys buy or hold onto if there is a recession?

They say that the Dividend Kings (also known as the Dividend Aristocrats) are great choices during downturns. Many of them provide slow growth opportunity, but all have been steady dividend providers for many, many years. ATT, J&J, Pepsi, Coke, PG, 3M, CL, Hormel, AbbVie, KMB, McD's, Walmart, etc.

I own a few of these but I tend to stay fairly diverse and don't concern myself with trying to be uber recession proof. I figure you can't predict it when they come.....and I don't foresee one happening any time soon.

I decided to follow your lead and picked up 50 shares of GSAH at $11.11 today. Also, picked up some more THCB warrants. BFT is slowly gaining steam. Merger coming soon. I'll probably hold on to BFT long term as well as THCB.

Reactions: AustinTXCat and rbs
Healthcare, consumer staples and those companies with better balance sheets generally fare much better in bad markets. KR is one I hold onto in an IRA and it may get hit as well. Just not as much as many others.
My value-guy self says KR might be a good buy soon. Waiting for some negatives in overall market before committing. I love KR. Always have, just have not jumped back in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT