ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

Been seeing commercials for the Invesco QQQ fund, with that dummy Gumbel.

I've never seen marketing for a specific fund, has anyone else? Surprised this isn't an issue with the SEC or elsewhwere.

ARKX is now up and trading. Currently ~$20. Lots of 3D printing, computer chips, gov't contractors/defense, and heavy equipment.

Okay, so my big bet (CONN) two years ago finally popped. At one time, I owned 1200 shares in CONN @$12 average. Sold 800 shares and rode up a bit.

Mistake #1: failed purchasing at bottom last year around $2.83. I allowed sentiments regarding TX-based corps influence my investing decisions.

Mistake #2: failed to notice short interest.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Meh. Still way ahead. Next time, I'll go with non-IRA investments for tax write-offs.

Okay, so my big bet (CONN) two years ago finally popped. At one time, I owned 1200 shares in CONN @$12 average. Sold 800 shares and rode up a bit.

Mistake #1: failed purchasing at bottom last year around $2.83. I allowed sentiments regarding TX-based corps influence my investing decisions.

Mistake #2: failed to notice short interest.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Meh. Still way ahead. Next time, I'll go with non-IRA investments for tax write-offs.
If it makes you feel any better, there was a stock I had my eye on a few years ago, I KNEW it was going to do well but just got burned by a stock and got cold feet. The stock price at that time $23, the stock price today, around $342. Ol Blueballz still checking into work on Monday lol.

Seen them a lot. SPY did it if I'm not mistaken. They sold me.

Do you happen to own both? Or just SPY? My 401k and Roth IRAs are pretty set, but I've been wanting to put some money into index funds/ETFs.. nothing too risky, but something that has sustained growth, maybe 8-10%? Ally Bank just brought their savings rates down again, and it's near useless now at 0.5%.

Any recommendations for something that tracks a lot of companies and offers decent growth? I saw an article on some "green" funds that looked intriguing.

Two questions:

1) Any suggestions on the best semiconductor ETF’s that may still have some good upside left to run this year ...

2) What are your best recommendations for reopening stocks that still have some upside left to run this year ...

Do you happen to own both? Or just SPY? My 401k and Roth IRAs are pretty set, but I've been wanting to put some money into index funds/ETFs.. nothing too risky, but something that has sustained growth, maybe 8-10%? Ally Bank just brought their savings rates down again, and it's near useless now at 0.5%.

Any recommendations for something that tracks a lot of companies and offers decent growth? I saw an article on some "green" funds that looked intriguing.
No just SPY which tracks the S&P 500. I also owned IWM which tracks the Russell 2000 and has outperformed SPY lately. It has benefited greatly by the value trade. So much so that I took profits on 25% of my position.

Two questions:

1) Any suggestions on the best semiconductor ETF’s that may still have some good upside left to run this year ...

2) What are your best recommendations for reopening stocks that still have some upside left to run this year ...
SMH and SOXX are two of the oldest and maybe most liquid semi ETF's but I play this space with individual companies like KLAC, NVDA and AVGO.

Companies in the VLUE ETF might have more room to run with the value trade going strong. The 2020 comps in many of those names could keep the train rolling.

SMH and SOXX are two of the oldest and maybe most liquid semi ETF's but I play this space with individual companies like KLAC, NVDA and AVGO.

Companies in the VLUE ETF might have more room to run with the value trade going strong. The 2020 comps in many of those names could keep the train rolling.
Thank you ... consistent with research. If you had to rank those semiconductor stocks what would you do?

I wasn’t familiar with VLUE ... that’s helpful.

Thank you ... consistent with research. If you had to rank those semiconductor stocks what would you do?

I wasn’t familiar with VLUE ... that’s helpful.
I like them all. KLAC has been my best performer because I've held it the longest. The chip shortage makes this space very attractive right now. The can all easily raise prices. Becuase of 2020 comps, INTC seems attractive with a new CEO saying all the right things. AMD took a hit last week and might be a great buy as well. Can't forget the other semi equipment makers LRCX and AMAT either.

Alright I’m a big newbie to this using acorns betterment and Robinhood past couple years but just realized I have $1200 in my Robinhood account uninvested.

You smart stock dudes can invest $1200 today whatcha buying?

Alright I’m a big newbie to this using acorns betterment and Robinhood past couple years but just realized I have $1200 in my Robinhood account uninvested.

You smart stock dudes can invest $1200 today whatcha buying?

The guys in this thread are way more qualified than I am and can give you a much more in depth response, but personally, I'm a big fan of dividend stocks and dripping their returns back into them. Especially the ones that pay monthly like STAG and MAIN.

I've recently started a position in MPLX and am considering starting one in QYLD.

Do you guys have any opinions on either of them?

Reactions: Atrain7732
The guys in this thread are way more qualified than I am and can give you a much more in depth response, but personally, I'm a big fan of dividend stocks and dripping their returns back into them. Especially the ones that pay monthly like STAG and MAIN.

I've recently started a position in MPLX and am considering starting one in QYLD.

MAIN and QYLD seem perfect for this market in the brief time I've had to take a look. I think Austin would appreciate those yields as well. Thanks.

Investors be advised that REIT's like STAG are even more perfect in non-taxable accounts.

MAIN and QYLD seem perfect for this market in the brief time I've had to take a look. I think Austin would appreciate those yields as well. Thanks.

Investors be advised that REIT's like STAG are even more perfect in non-taxable accounts.
Thanks for the info much appreciated I’m going to look into these options right away. I’ve never done anything with the REIT’s but I know with things in that segment booming right now it makes perfect sense.

Reactions: jameslee32

Thank you

Reactions: Los Gatos

I have a position in MAIN, it’s a great dividend stock. It was starting to gain momentum right before Covid and dropped. I was lucky to get some shares when it was down, but may pick up some more in DRIP. Right now it’s about $3-5 from it’s pre-Covid levels. Now that things have settled, I can see it back in growth mode. It’s a good dividend growth stock with a good yield.

Last edited:

MPLX seems okay in the short/mid-term as oil prices are rising and should continue rising or stabilize for the rest of this year. I'd certainly consider it.

Some might want to take a look at STPK (Star Peak Energy Transition Corp.) Recently Star Peak Energy announced plans to merge with Stem Inc. ;a merger that's expected to finalize on April 27.

Stem Inc. is a smart energy storage company that uses artificial intelligence to optimize energy use efficiently by automatically switching between battery power, onsite power generation and a power grid.

Also, it is the first smart energy storage company to go public in the U.S. taking advantage of a largely untapped market.

The 52 week range has been: L of $9.60 and H of $51.49. I bought today at $29.64. This could work out to be a steal in in the next 1 - 5 years or so. Long play for me at this time. I like it.

Good investing fellows!

Do you guys have any opinions on either of the

MPLX does have a tasty dividend yield at 10%, even before Covid it was on a downward trend, but they kept their dividend steady. It's also an LP, which has different tax ramifications around tax time, so I try to stay away from those. I'm trying to relinquish my accountant from her grips.

Went ahead and opened a position in QYLD today. Hoping for the best and plan to add more to it over time. 🍻

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Some might want to take a look at STPK (Star Peak Energy Transition Corp.) Recently Star Peak Energy announced plans to merge with Stem Inc. ;a merger that's expected to finalize on April 27.

Stem Inc. is a smart energy storage company that uses artificial intelligence to optimize energy use efficiently by automatically switching between battery power, onsite power generation and a power grid.

Also, it is the first smart energy storage company to go public in the U.S. taking advantage of a largely untapped market.

The 52 week range has been: L of $9.60 and H of $51.49. I bought today at $29.64. This could work out to be a steal in in the next 1 - 5 years or so. Long play for me at this time. I like it.

Good investing fellows!
I'd rather be a customer right now I think.

I'd rather be a customer right now I think.

Why may I ask?

If you are willing to buy the service....don't you think other consumers will too?

That would make it a good long term investment especially under this "Green Energy' Administration we have in power now. Curious for your thought process.

MU has treated me well, NVDA flat after a long run up.

Reactions: Mayoman
Went ahead and opened a position in QYLD today. Hoping for the best and plan to add more to it over time. 🍻
Good find, I'm going to pick up a new position for my dividend portfolio. I don't see alot of growth as it seems to just hover around 22-25ish, but it pays a consisten monthly dividend and not that volatile. I'll treat it like my AT&T stock, it doesn't move alot, but it's consistent with low volatility.

Good find, I'm going to pick up a new position for my dividend portfolio. I don't see alot of growth as it seems to just hover around 22-25ish, but it pays a consisten monthly dividend and not that volatile. I'll treat it like my AT&T stock, it doesn't move alot, but it's consistent with low volatility.

Yeah, definitely not a growth stock, but appears to be a decent source for steady income. I believe the next Ex-Dividend Date is April 19th, with a pay date of April 27th.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT