ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/game...-up-another-100-in-after-hours-215604847.html

tenor.gif

Reactions: AustinTXCat
What are folks buying today? Anybody adding to existing or initiating new positions?

I initiated a new small position in KL by going long some July calls.

Added a little to an existing long position before the report after today's close: AERI

Added a little to an existing long: PSLV

Added a little to EXK

Added a little to MMNGF

Nothing substantial, just a little here and there.

What are folks buying today? Anybody adding to existing or initiating new positions?

Added a little to an existing long position before the report after today's close: AERI

Added a little to EXK

Added a little to MMNGF

Dayton, I’m on the moon, waiting for you guys! How’s the stock market down on mother earth? :p

What does everyone think of NEBC? It’s a SPAC that will merge with Rover. I assume the floor is $10 and that is about what the price is currently.

Well, those long UVXY Calls and SPY Puts sure had a good day today.

Not much else significantly green on the day, except for long Puts in BLDP.

FWIW, passing on an observation made today by an experienced trader:

"The “three pillars” of the equity rally are all very much still in play BUT they’re now beginning to push Treasury yields higher and the SPX is taking note. The equity narrative is starting to evolve – for most of the last few months the debate was around the strength of the pillars, but now those ballasts aren’t coming under tremendous scrutiny. Instead, investors wonder WHAT level in 10-yr yields will place material pressure on stocks. Vital Knowledge continues to think the point is approaching (if it hasn’t been reached already) – 10-yr yields seem headed toward 1.5% very soon and that will erode at least some of the 2020 PE expansion process."

Appears to have been a rather good observation. At least lz liked it there on his planet.

Reactions: lz
Let go of more of the copper play, FCX, much in same manner as did previously with the uranium plays.

With the "liquidity event" of last March still fresh in everyone's memory, want to ensure to have plenty of dry powder should the folks on margin sell off everything, including their metals and miners again.

-------------------------
Stocks hammered as 10-year rates rise to 1.5%.

I'm sure no one is surprised; it's been the topic of center stage.

I guess the question now is how much higher can rates go, and will equities respond in a sensible manner.
----------------------------

Last edited:
Reactions: jameslee32
They've run a lot in 6 months. KRE or IAT is a way to play a basket of regionals to reduce single stock risk.
Yeah, thanks, I'll take a look. Jumped into FHN today for a couple reasons. First, they raised their dividend every year since at least the past 8 years. Second, it's a well-established, regional brand name. If you recall Cats basketball game last Saturday against Vols at TBA, First Horizon advertised on the court sidebars. Decent southeast footprint. Perhaps not Regions, but widely known. Lastly, FHN announced a stock buyback last month.

I wanted something similar to PBCT and FHN checks many boxes. This issue is going very long for me. I'll look at KRE or IAT. Again, thanks.

Added a little to EXK

Added a little to MMNGF

Day early on those adds, except for AERI.

Added a little more of each of the above again today, including AERI this morning when it sold down early after the open. MM was playing games with AERI this morning. Now up 15+% on the day.

Also added to SILJ, as well as DSVMF, MTA and AUNFF.

Closed out the BLDP and SPY long puts and UVXY long calls.

Carrying only a bushel of Mar 19 SPXS long calls as more of an insurance policy should we get a violent sell-off that takes it down to the 100-day MA or below.

Let the return to the melt-up/blow off top continue......

Reactions: lz
Overall market seems to be looking forward to post Covid leisure and some cyclicals, but very carefully, people grudgingly letting go of high PE tech stocks that likely will bounce back after price adjustments...so difficult when to buy them, though.

Commodities, SPACs, bitcoin, natural resources, banks, I just don’t have the investing knowledge/comfort level, some of you do well in those areas. Hybrid stay at home stocks, great companies heavily invested in bitcoin, and various companies like IIPR missing EPS/Revenue numbers rapidly getting sold, many of them will eventually be good buys.

As investors, we really have some reading to do and patience to maintain while understanding Biden’s impact on medical stocks, defense, technology, etc. Just when I tried some clean energy stocks, the Texas storm smashed all of the ones I was holding, so where do we go under Biden? Sin stocks and long time holdings like NVDA, AMZN, MSFT somewhat holding up my portfolio, but doubt my 2021 return beats my 2020. Just rambling, keep up the talk here, most interesting.

Last edited:
The highly volatile small cap growth stocks ... I wish I knew where the bottom is on stocks like CBAT, EMAN, FCEL, MVIS, and a host of others. OCGN popped today. I bought a few of them at what I hope is the bottom ... but it's a scary proposition with this market.

Below is an excerpt from a news release put out by the SEC. I don't recognize any of those names or ticker symbols.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Washington D.C., Feb. 26, 2021 —

As part of its continuing effort to respond to potential attempts to exploit investors during the recent market volatility, the Securities and Exchange Commission today suspended trading in the securities of 15 companies because of questionable trading and social media activity.

Today's order states that trading is being suspended because of questions about recent increased activity and volatility in the trading of these issuers, as well as the influence of certain social media accounts on that trading activity. The order also states that none of the issuers has filed any information with the SEC or OTC Markets, where the companies' securities are quoted, for over a year. As a result, the SEC suspended trading in the securities of: Bebida Beverage Co. (BBDA); Blue Sphere Corporation (BLSP); Ehouse Global Inc. (EHOS); Eventure Interactive Inc. (EVTI); Eyes on the Go Inc. (AXCG); Green Energy Enterprises Inc. (GYOG); Helix Wind Corp. (HLXW); International Power Group Ltd. (IPWG); Marani Brands Inc. (MRIB); MediaTechnics Corp. (MEDT); Net Talk.com Inc. (NTLK); Patten Energy Solutions Group Inc. (PTTN); PTA Holdings Inc. (PTAH); Universal Apparel & Textile Company (DKGR); and Wisdom Homes of America Inc. (WOFA).

The SEC also recently issued orders temporarily suspending trading in: Bangi Inc. (BNGI); Sylios Corp. (UNGS); Marathon Group Corp. (PDPR); Affinity Beverage Group Inc. (ABVG); All Grade Mining Inc. (HYII); and SpectraScience Inc. (SCIE). Each of these orders stated that the suspensions were due at least in part to questions about whether social media accounts have been attempting to artificially increase the companies' share price.

Below is an excerpt from a news release put out by the SEC. I don't recognize any of those names or ticker symbols.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Washington D.C., Feb. 26, 2021 —

As part of its continuing effort to respond to potential attempts to exploit investors during the recent market volatility, the Securities and Exchange Commission today suspended trading in the securities of 15 companies because of questionable trading and social media activity.

Today's order states that trading is being suspended because of questions about recent increased activity and volatility in the trading of these issuers, as well as the influence of certain social media accounts on that trading activity. The order also states that none of the issuers has filed any information with the SEC or OTC Markets, where the companies' securities are quoted, for over a year. As a result, the SEC suspended trading in the securities of: Bebida Beverage Co. (BBDA); Blue Sphere Corporation (BLSP); Ehouse Global Inc. (EHOS); Eventure Interactive Inc. (EVTI); Eyes on the Go Inc. (AXCG); Green Energy Enterprises Inc. (GYOG); Helix Wind Corp. (HLXW); International Power Group Ltd. (IPWG); Marani Brands Inc. (MRIB); MediaTechnics Corp. (MEDT); Net Talk.com Inc. (NTLK); Patten Energy Solutions Group Inc. (PTTN); PTA Holdings Inc. (PTAH); Universal Apparel & Textile Company (DKGR); and Wisdom Homes of America Inc. (WOFA).

The SEC also recently issued orders temporarily suspending trading in: Bangi Inc. (BNGI); Sylios Corp. (UNGS); Marathon Group Corp. (PDPR); Affinity Beverage Group Inc. (ABVG); All Grade Mining Inc. (HYII); and SpectraScience Inc. (SCIE). Each of these orders stated that the suspensions were due at least in part to questions about whether social media accounts have been attempting to artificially increase the companies' share price.
Wow, might just be the start of more enforcement, glad I’m not even aware of those companies, hope others here don’t own them.

Wow, might just be the start of more enforcement, glad I’m not even aware of those companies, hope others here don’t own them.

Do you remember the boiler room days where guys called folks with "stock tips"?

Probably saw a movie or two, if never received one of their calls.

Overall market seems to be looking forward to post Covid leisure and some cyclicals, but very carefully, people grudgingly letting go of high PE tech stocks that likely will bounce back after price adjustments...so difficult when to buy them, though.

Commodities, SPACs, bitcoin, natural resources, banks, I just don’t have the investing knowledge/comfort level, some of you do well in those areas. Hybrid stay at home stocks, great companies heavily invested in bitcoin, and various companies like IIPR missing EPS/Revenue numbers rapidly getting sold, many of them will eventually be good buys.

As investors, we really have some reading to do and patience to maintain while understanding Biden’s impact on medical stocks, defense, technology, etc. Just when I tried some clean energy stocks, the Texas storm smashed all of the ones I was holding, so where do we go under Biden? Sin stocks and long time holdings like NVDA, AMZN, MSFT somewhat holding up my portfolio, but doubt my 2021 return beats my 2020. Just rambling, keep up the talk here, most interesting.
I'm a net seller again as most of my orders reflect that strategy. I've added to one SPAC, NGA, and that's about it. Anything else I might buy in the near future will be geared toward the consumer. Personal savings are up again and I only see that continuing.

Reactions: AustinTXCat and lz
I'm a buyer, as usual. I'll buy all the way down and all the way up.

Stumbled on AOSL when I was bored and did some stock screening. Semiconductor. Very small <1 B, but actually has a +PE ratio. Seems that it's harder to find in the stocks I like. And as we know, profits mean something now. So I started a position.

Also, more ZYXI. .5 B and also has a +PE ratio. Pain management.

Do you remember the boiler room days where guys called folks with "stock tips"?

Probably saw a movie or two, if never received one of their calls.
No, started investing in a small town in 1990, wasn’t a “big hitter.” My inlaw said he got some bothersome calls from a NY broker, finally told the guy “Hell, I bought Microsoft when it was a dollar a share!” No more stock tips from that guy, a lie went a long way. :p

I remember when Austin's Albertson's closed.

H.E. Butts is not to be messed with... and for good reason. Loved HEB.
+1

Our nearby Albertson's on Lamar/Braker closed several years ago, along with Kroger. HEB ran them out. Randall's, which is owned by Albertson's is still around Austin and Houston.

Totally agree. HEB is the bomb! I comparison shop quite often when traveling back to KY/TN. HEB usually kills Kroger from a pricing standpoint. I normally shop HEB Techridge or HEB Rundberg. My little brother, who is now an exec with Publix, can't believe HEB floorspace/shelfspace at Techridge. He swears it's double a Publix store.

Too bad HEB is private.

Day early on those adds, except for AERI.

Added a little more of each of the above again today, including AERI this morning when it sold down early after the open. MM was playing games with AERI this morning. Now up 15+% on the day.

Also added to SILJ, as well as DSVMF, MTA and AUNFF.

Closed out the BLDP and SPY long puts and UVXY long calls.

Carrying only a bushel of Mar 19 SPXS long calls as more of an insurance policy should we get a violent sell-off that takes it down to the 100-day MA or below.

Let the return to the melt-up/blow off top continue......

AERI up 8+% at 1 p.m., tacking that on to the up 16% on Friday. Sold a 30% tranche of the highest risk set of long calls position to take down some profits/manage risk.

All the other adds from the above post are down here or flat.

Re-initiated a small long UVXY calls trade here today with VIX off 8%, using Apr 01 expiration and $10.00 strike. Mostly a hedge trade. Paid $110 per contract.

Reactions: jameslee32 and lz
I expect things won’t pass the Senate as smoothly. They’ll negotiate back and forth for a few weeks before passing the package for good. The back and forth will keep the market floating......but it’ll get another bump when it passes.

Also, with Johnson and Johnson now shipping their vaccine I think we’ll see the economy come back much quicker. There is roughly 328 million people in the US. Figure roughly that 1/3rd of that are youth that shouldn't get vaccinated. So, there is roughly 200-250 million people of vaccination age. There have been roughly 75 million doses given thus far.....and we are currently vaccinating about 1.7 million doses per day. "If" demand and distribution remain steady, we'll see a good Spring.

Last edited:
I could sell now for a $1700 profit.

Decisions, decisions.

If it helps, when I was following it quite a bit several analysts said that RKT makes the vast majority of their profits off of re-finances and not off mortgage origination. Therefore, they saw it as benefitting a great deal from the pandemic and lowered interest rates but likely won't benefit as much when the economy comes back.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT