ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

I thought the market was very volatile and erratic today. Some swing trading with 10+% intraday price swings up and down ... some very odd price action today.

Last edited:
I finished green today. Was nice after a lackluster Wednesday and Thursday. Looking good in after hours as well so far.

I took out some short positions today on small bank stocks that I think will be under continued pressure from FINTECH. FFIN, FFBI and TFSL.

I took out some short positions today on small bank stocks that I think will be under continued pressure from FINTECH. FFIN, FFBI and TFSL.
Got some FFBC thru my wife. It's been killing it for 5 months and the last bonus was pretty good. Any small lender will benefit from rising interest rates and I think it has. Last fall they had layoffs which have stopped as well. Longer term idk. Technology will play a huge part. Good to be a JPM big bank owner right now though. ARKF is on my shopping list in ETF land.

Last edited:
Reactions: lz
Got some FFBC thru my wife. It's been killing it for 5 months and the last bonus was pretty good. Any small lender will benefit from rising interest rates and I think it has. Last fall they had layoffs which have stopped as well. Longer term idk. Technology will play a huge part. Good to be a JPM big bank owner right now though. ARKF is on my shopping list in ETF land.

Some will do fine, but 25% of community banks have gone under since 2008 and I think with increased regulation, and the advance of FINTECH as a bank alternative that trend will continue.

Reactions: jameslee32
Some will do fine, but 25% of community banks have gone under since 2008 and I think with increased regulation, and the advance of FINTECH as a bank alternative that trend will continue.
Oh I agree without a doubt. V and KKR have been some of my biggest winners and I am optimistic about the future of SoFi.

Just observing. No predictions. Mostly supply disruption at play, a decade+ of under-investment, etc., compared to increase in demand ?

Texas is right in the middle of the energy disruptions.

FCX is my copper play. Sold my first tranche recently.
PXD and EOG for oil.
WY for lumber. Also have been selling.
ALB for lithium. Sold 25% last week.
Been keeping an eye on BG and ADM for farming. Closest thing I got is DD but the CTVA spinoff has the most exposure.

Reactions: lz
Texas is right in the middle of the energy disruptions.

FCX is my copper play. Sold my first tranche recently.
PXD and EOG for oil.
WY for lumber. Also have been selling.
ALB for lithium. Sold 25% last week.
Been keeping an eye on BG and ADM for farming. Closest thing I got is DD.
Got some SMG for gardening (and cannabis now) early 2021, ran up too fast, now going down, but a solid play most of the time in cycles.

Looking to ease out of some of my FCX long calls position as I've been riding this one up for quite some time.

Tomorrow will add shares to PSLV, which is a Sprott ETF that actually buys unencumbered, fully-allocated, physical silver.

Thursday and Friday of last week added decently to long position in SILJ (long calls with various strikes and expiry dates).

Had previously built long position in various miners to cover exposure to uranium, platinum, nickel, etc.

Reactions: jameslee32 and lz
Placed positions in SXOOF and UAMY this week. UAMY stopped trading right after I bought it, but did well Friday. I'm big on SXOOF. It did well this week and looks positive for the future. Also added to KMPH and SENS. Think they both have good long investment upside.

Reactions: Mayoman
Just sold to close the TSLA Feb 19 puts for a double. Still holding the Mar 19 and Apr 16.

Dark red on the Mar 19 SPY PUTS and UVXY calls. Still holding.

Sold to close 1/3 of the TSLA Mar 19 Puts here just a minute ago to book a nice profit on first tranche. Haven't touched the Apr 16 expiry ones.

Still deep red on those Mar 19 SPY Puts and UVXY calls.

Sold to close 1/3 of the TSLA Mar 19 Puts here just a minute ago to book a nice profit on first tranche. Haven't touched the Apr 16 expiry ones.

Still deep red on those Mar 19 SPY Puts and UVXY calls.

Just sold another tranche of the Mar 19 TSLA Puts on this dive down to 712ish......

Added some more UVXY calls before the close here.

Added significantly to long position in PSLV this morning as planned.

Rolled some of the TSLA Puts proceeds into some more SILJ calls with an Aug expiry.

Like seeing Silver close above $28. Silver shorts could get squeezed on a sustained break thru $30.

Sold more FCX at $39.

Been a nice bullish move in copper off last year's lows. The add on move from $3.50ish since 1st of Feb has happened quickly.

Get silver on a sustained rally thru $30 and could test the 2011 highs rather quickly.

Keeping a close eye on the dollar; could be telling.

Been a nice bullish move in copper off last year's lows. The add on move from $3.50ish since 1st of Feb has happened quickly.

Get silver on a sustained rally thru $30 and could test the 2011 highs rather quickly.

Keeping a close eye on the dollar; could be telling.
Dollar has rallied this month but the trend should be even lower with more stimulus. That's good news for hard assets.

Reactions: DaytonKat
Morning news while drinking coffee.....

------------------------
Microsoft Corp. (NASDAQ: MSFT) co-founder Bill Gates is not bullish on Bitcoin (BTC) and is cautioning others to reconsider such investments — unless they have more money than Tesla Inc. (NASDAQ: TSLA) CEO Elon Musk.

What Happened: Gates told Bloomberg on Monday that he isn’t worried about Musk’s Bitcoin randomly going up or down.

“Elon has tons of money and he is very sophisticated,” the tech entrepreneur said, adding that he is more concerned about people getting into such manias who don’t have as much money to spare.

“If you have less money than Elon, you should probably watch out,” Gates told Bloomberg.
-----------------------

To paraphrase Bill Gates: Get your vaccine and be careful with BTC.

• Haha
Reactions: Juvellino
Whelp. The suits just crushed the CCIV price. The CCIV/Lucid deal is pretty much a "go" now, but at the last minuted they doubled Lucid's valuation. Articles over the last few wks indicated that the deal would value Lucid at around $12-15 billion...........but instead it sounds like they valued it ~$24 billion. This completely caused the stock price to tank.....currently down ~30%.

I bought in earlier.....so, I'm not going to be quick to sell. I think the price will go back up soon.

Last edited:
Brutal last week or so for Nasdaq.

I have been slowly loading up a cash position in anticipation of a correction ... but apparently not fast enough as it turns out. I had previously sold most of my CCIV and WKHS positions for good gains, but still held some positions ... today was brutal for those remaining shares and other SPAC positions.

Fortunately, I had a large position of THCB which helped.

Hoping to not be trying to catch a falling knife, I took some of that cash and invested early today in RIOT, GIK, and CBAT when they dropped ... hoping to recover some lost gains. We will see soon if that was wise or not.

Reactions: gobigblue812
ADVERTISEMENT