ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

I have a question and figured this was a good thread to ask it in, and, yes, I fully expect the "paddock treatment." lol.

I am in the job market, and one company I am considering mentioned Restricted Stock Units (RSU) as part of the benefits package.

I am not familiar with RSUs at all and thought I would ask you guys for opinions, lessons learned, advantages or pitfalls to watch for with RSUs as part of a compensation package.
I did try to do a bit of research first, but I can not wrap my head around if these are really a good benefit or just fluff.

I will look at any bonus or potential compensation as gravy. But hopefully, it is a tasty gravy.

TIA.

No idea. Once had stock options that I negotiated and exercised in a new job but not sure if it's related. Might have to wait a period of time before selling.

Reactions: augustaky1
Earnings season. Last week, GT and IVZ performed well. I took some profits on OI, but still maintain a decent position. Earnings due out Monday on that issue. Also purchased MET, UVE and ORI using EMCI profits. A big one, ABBV, reports November 1.

I swore that I'd stay away from retail, but M looks mighty tempting right now.

Hopefully y'all are having a good month.

Reactions: lz
Earnings season. Last week, GT and IVZ performed well. I took some profits on OI, but still maintain a decent position. Earnings due out Monday on that issue. Also purchased MET, UVE and ORI using EMCI profits. A big one, ABBV, reports November 1.

I swore that I'd stay away from retail, but M looks mighty tempting right now.

Hopefully y'all are having a good month.
My entire year is embarrassingly down so far!

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Won’t give up, one of those bad periods. You must know insurance well, I’ve never known where to invest in that area!
Thanks! I'm slowly learning about insurance equities. I chose MET because it primarily operates in the life insurance sector and brand recognition is above-average. For example, our dental insurance is handled by the firm. They also hold DOD contracts. UVE, more of a property-casualty position, seems much like EMCI based on technicals. It's more of a small cap. @Sawnee Cat provided some great insight in the D-League thread, as he previously worked many years in that space.

MET, UVE and ORI are long-term plays and all increased dividends over the past few years.

Reactions: jameslee32 and lz
OI missed by .01 and is getting hammered after-hours (-9.66%). No biggie. I'm still ahead after averaging down and then selling on the climb back up over the past month.. Plan on riding this pony up and down for a while, and buying more soon.

Reactions: jameslee32
I got quite a bit of VIG and VOOG today, want in, but with hopefully less risk for awhile.
I own the DVY in an IRA but have been looking at the VIG. Although I like the yield I'm getting with DVY so I might add to it instead. I already own 3 of the top 10 names in the VIG anyway.

Right, but if solid companies, doesn’t hurt to have a few more shares.
And I have done that with JNJ and CSCO recently that not only have good dividends but solid balance sheets. Still want to get more of these type names and maybe a bond ETF to boot. Of course it gets hard to pass up some of those great software and tech names on sale.

What are people's thoughts on using a stop or stop limit to buy when the price goes up to a certain point?

For example, I haven't bought the JMIA yet. I have a stop order at 7.33.

My thinking is that I'm long term. When I buy I rarely sell so If I pay a few % more, so what. If I put in a stop order and the price declines 5 or 10% before it hits my number, I adjust down waiting for the uptick.

Thoughts?

$2.32 today. Unsurprisingly, this stock has absolutely tanked since you posted this six weeks ago.

As always, your picks are shit.

If you only take a single stock i mentioned.....utilize a fraction of the information.....then who’s the shit?

This thread is 49 pages long.
-I have mentioned that the vast majority of my money is tied up in much more sound funds, bonds, etc.
-I have repeatedly said that pot is extremely risky right now and that I invest only a little
-I also mentioned that I am casting a wide net that I’m willing to sit on for 5-10 yrs.
-I also mentioned that there will be time to make money off pot stocks in the future and that anyone that isn’t willing to risk they should avoid the sector right now.
-I’ve also said that because of how I bought/sold CGC multiple times that I’m still up in the sector even with the losses recently.....but it doesn’t matter because I’m going to ride the sector for the next 5-10 yrs.

I’ve also mentioned that I don’t do investing as a living and that anyone should take my comments with a grain of salt. I’ve learned through reading, research, doing, and engaging in discussions like this thread provides. Because of all the information in this thread I’ve learned and grown......whether the information is good or bad.

I’m still trying to learn from you. You seem to attack others while avoiding inclusion of meaningful knowledge. If you have some, please tell us.....let’s have a discussion.

What are people's thoughts on using a stop or stop limit to buy when the price goes up to a certain point?

For example, I haven't bought the JMIA yet. I have a stop order at 7.33.

My thinking is that I'm long term. When I buy I rarely sell so If I pay a few % more, so what. If I put in a stop order and the price declines 5 or 10% before it hits my number, I adjust down waiting for the uptick.

Thoughts?
Honestly, I rarely use stops. I always attempt buying as cheaply as possible and selling for as much as possible. For example, depending on how far down OI sinks tomorrow morning, let's say I see activity trending < $9.25, I'll set a limit order to purchase more at that price and wait until it hits.

Reactions: jameslee32 and lz
Honestly, I rarely use stops. I always attempt buying as cheaply as possible and selling for as much as possible. For example, depending on how far down OI sinks tomorrow morning, let's say I see activity trending < $9.25, I'll set a limit order to purchase more at that price and wait until it hits.
Some on here are traders and some investors. (No judgment here)

I think I'll trade more for fun in retirement. Right now I want long term returns i dont have to move in and out of.

I doubt it. I've made a lot of trades in the past 32 years and I've made a lot of money at it -- I'm past having to regret an individual buy. You probably didn't like it when it was at $18 - before it spiked up to $142 in a year and a half.

I'm aware of the challenges that pushed it back down. So was the guy who told me after talking with the CEO that he bought it -- and he's made more money on the market than everyone in this thread combined.

Regret it today? GRUB, LOL. Your boy Maloney is melting down on his conference call.

I invest in boring tax advantaged mutual funds which generally track the S&P. Boring, but easily outperforms all the loser dogs you brilliant insiders keep picking.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Limit orders sets the order at a price you're willing to buy the stock. The only way to go imo. If you miss it, raise the limit price or move on to the next stock. Never trust your broker to get you the best price.

Brag and boast time #1.

Fidelity 500 Index fund YTD: Up 24.82% I've held a position in this fund for the past couple years.

S&P 500 Index YTD: Up 22.65%

My TD Ameritrade IRA YTD: Up 29.59%

Brag and boast time #2: I bought into UVE last month for my taxable account. This is a long-term buy and hold (4+ years), along with ORI and MET. Earnings came out. Issue got hammered yesterday. I said screw it and purchased more via IRA around noon yesterday . The issue appreciated 5.88% by 9:42 am this morning. Sold during break. $158 profit. Loving this new "no-fee" structure + market volatility.

Also purchased BGS and TUP yesterday. Still holding GT (up 42% since 08/14) and IVZ. Life is good.

Wishing nothing but the best of luck to my fellow investors. Go Cats!

Difficult to say, I have owned it, but not currently, very high PE. I’m exercising lots of patience before I jump back in to pot stocks.

Still very early......and extremely volatile. I probably wouldn't dive in unless.....
a) you already have a very nice, rounded portfolio of stable options.....mut funds, etc....so that a very, very tiny portion of your portfolio is in risky stuff
b) you are willing to accept the risk. With the sector being so early, you have to be able to risk losing what you put in.
c) you are able to cast a wide net. There isn't a go-to stock yet. So, don't put all your eggs in one basket.....spread it around. I currently own TLRY, CGC, ACB, IIPR, HEXO, SMG
d) you are willing to wait a long time. Be prepared to wait 3, 5, maybe 10 yrs for things to take off.

You can minimize some risk though. IIPR is one way since real estate is often a good bet. SMG (Scotts Miracle Grow) is another. Its an already established company with a good number of profitable products.......and it just happens to be the world's leader of hydroponic equipment. TLRY may be a risky pick, but their partner is Anheuser-Busch......you could invest in Budweiser which would be a far less risky way to go.

But don't feel like you have to jump on pot now. There'll be plenty of opportunity in the future.

Reactions: lz
If you've been buying value, you're finally being rewarded. This change has to revert back to growth at some point one would think. Diversification is always the lesson to be learned it seems.

Still very early......and extremely volatile. I probably wouldn't dive in unless.....
a) you already have a very nice, rounded portfolio of stable options.....mut funds, etc....so that a very, very tiny portion of your portfolio is in risky stuff
b) you are willing to accept the risk. With the sector being so early, you have to be able to risk losing what you put in.
c) you are able to cast a wide net. There isn't a go-to stock yet. So, don't put all your eggs in one basket.....spread it around. I currently own TLRY, CGC, ACB, IIPR, HEXO, SMG
d) you are willing to wait a long time. Be prepared to wait 3, 5, maybe 10 yrs for things to take off.

You can minimize some risk though. IIPR is one way since real estate is often a good bet. SMG (Scotts Miracle Grow) is another. Its an already established company with a good number of profitable products.......and it just happens to be the world's leader of hydroponic equipment. TLRY may be a risky pick, but their partner is Anheuser-Busch......you could invest in Budweiser which would be a far less risky way to go.

But don't feel like you have to jump on pot now. There'll be plenty of opportunity in the future.

I've followed the marijuana stocks but never put anything in. I have my "personal" portfolio that I just play around with, then my retirement which is the bigger chunk. My personal is fairly conservative, higher yield dividend/small growth paying between 5-13% dividends. I keep an eye open on new positions or just watching my existing to buy in when there is a dip.

I've followed the marijuana stocks but never put anything in. I have my "personal" portfolio that I just play around with, then my retirement which is the bigger chunk. My personal is fairly conservative, higher yield dividend/small growth paying between 5-13% dividends. I keep an eye open on new positions or just watching my existing to buy in when there is a dip.
5-13% in dividends is quite impressive. Mind sharing a few?

5-13% in dividends is quite impressive. Mind sharing a few?

Oh yeah, sure. I've really just started building my dividend portfolio this year, although I had a few previously. My current portfolio I have NYMT, XOM, IRM, T, MO are the higher yields. Then I have ETR and PNW that have done well with growth and 2-3% yields which were my wife's before we met, which are good stocks so I've kept them. I did have APU, which was around 8%, then UGI bought them and the yield is much lower. I don't really care for UGI, but hanging on over the next couple of quarters to see if the dividend and growth go up since they've acquired APU.

I follow a Dividend Growth Facebook group which is really helpful in finding interesting stocks, in addition to this thread.

Congrats to those in IIPR, good eps sent the stock up nicely. One note of caution as I was up a lot until they diluted their shares with a big stock issuance earlier this year, and I got out. They have to keep buying a lot of property to grow the product to meet needs, takes a lot to fund that.

Congrats to those in IIPR, good eps sent the stock up nicely. One note of caution as I was up a lot until they diluted their shares with a big stock issuance earlier this year, and I got out. They have to keep buying a lot of property to grow the product to meet needs, takes a lot to fund that.

And they are doing that with recent acquisitions in IL,MICH, and FL. Love me some IIPR. Watch them in this 4th Qtr and 1st Qtr next year take off again.

Reactions: jameslee32
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT