ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

Just jumped into a large position with Owens-Illinois (OI), another great Ohio company. Debt is a little high, but technicals look good otherwise. Huge international footprint.

Good luck, everyone.
I’ve been left speechless, have experienced some of the market shocks many times before, but tough sledding as an investor when a new shock can come often out of Washington from either party. Right now I’ve moved somewhat from lots of Cash to dividend ETFs and still hold a smattering of stocks I’ve mentioned here before that I hope to buy more of late year. I anticipate no trade deal and a mild selloff by late year, maybe a bounce back, then who knows in an election year?

I’ve been left speechless, have experienced some of the market shocks many times before, but tough sledding as an investor when a new shock can come often out of Washington from either party. Right now I’ve moved somewhat from lots of Cash to dividend ETFs and still hold a smattering of stocks I’ve mentioned here before that I hope to buy more of late year. I anticipate no trade deal and a mild selloff by late year, maybe a bounce back, then who knows in an election year?
Agreed. Heavy on cash myself in all accounts. I also expect a mild selloff later this year.

Selloff = opportunity. Actually, considering the overall market, OI seems like a decent bargain based on projected earnings. Many other issues are just too expensive right now.

Reactions: jameslee32 and lz
Slightly OT:

I don't understand how Disney+ is supposed to be this giant Netflix killer. It's old Disney movies, played-out Marvel movies, and a Star-wars series that's getting worse by the day.

Now, you may have fault at that, and love the above.. but at the end of the day, it's about 100 worth-while films.. a lot of which people own on DVD format.

Even if/when Disney starts churning out new content, how is it supposed to pass Netflix which has new and worth-while content seemingly released every week? Who is going to spend $10 a month to watch Phantom Menace or Thor 2 for the 4th time? Market research shows that people are only willing to subscribe to 2 to 4 streaming services.

Agreed. Heavy on cash myself in all accounts. I also expect a mild selloff later this year.

Selloff = opportunity. Actually, considering the overall market, OI seems like a decent bargain based on projected earnings. Many other issues are just too expensive right now.
Indeed, will certainly take a look!

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Slightly OT:

I don't understand how Disney+ is supposed to be this giant Netflix killer. It's old Disney movies, played-out Marvel movies, and a Star-wars series that's getting worse by the day.

Now, you may have fault at that, and love the above.. but at the end of the day, it's about 100 worth-while films.. a lot of which people own on DVD format.

Even if/when Disney starts churning out new content, how is it supposed to pass Netflix which has new and worth-while content seemingly released every week? Who is going to spend $10 a month to watch Phantom Menace or Thor 2 for the 4th time? Market research shows that people are only willing to subscribe to 2 to 4 streaming services.
If we knew the ultimate big winner, we will all get rich!

Slightly OT:

Disney owns a heck of a lot more than that. And churns our more every day. It won’t kill Netflix but it’s going to hurt A LOT.

On a side note, it looks like Disney is going to kill account sharing. They’re trying to prevent it with Disney+.....and you know Netflix won’t be far behind.

Reactions: jameslee32
Disney owns a heck of a lot more than that. And churns our more every day. It won’t kill Netflix but it’s going to hurt A LOT.

On a side note, it looks like Disney is going to kill account sharing. They’re trying to prevent it with Disney+.....and you know Netflix won’t be far behind.
BTW, we’re trying to decide between Hulu and Utube TV, any preferences?

They seem to own redundant content though. Things for kids and families, and some space in the fantasy/action world. But it has nothing in the way of drama, comedy, horror, etc (at least I don't believe).

I just don't see people giving up on their Netflix account to watch what's a very limited collection of media.. media that's been out on other formats for years. While on Netflix's side of things, you have original high-quality shows being released all the time.

Maybe it will become a battle of content..

They seem to own redundant content though. Things for kids and families, and some space in the fantasy/action world. But it has nothing in the way of drama, comedy, horror, etc (at least I don't believe).

I just don't see people giving up on their Netflix account to watch what's a very limited collection of media.. media that's been out on other formats for years. While on Netflix's side of things, you have original high-quality shows being released all the time.

Maybe it will become a battle of content..

Disney owns things Touchstone Pictures....which has a bunch of variation.

I don’t think people who love Netflix will leave Netflix. But theyll lose a ton of things they may watch which means they’ll likely have to purchase both. Like I said, I don’t think it’s a Netflix killer but it absolutely will be a Netflix harmer.....

Though some may jump ship entirely. I have a family with young kids and have access to Netflix by account sharing. We don’t like our kids watching much TV.....and can’t watch a lot of stuff we would watch in front of them. Sooooo, if we lost Netflix it wouldn’t be the end of the world. We could switch to Disney+ and be happy. Especially with the original shows they’re planning.

BTW, we’re trying to decide between Hulu and Utube TV, any preferences?

Don’t know. We do Direct/Dish......Amazon Prime.....then share a Netflix account. We have young kids so our usage is this:

Dish/Direct 85%
Netflix 10%
Amazon 5%

Reactions: lz
Don’t know. We do Direct/Dish......Amazon Prime.....then share a Netflix account. We have young kids so our usage is this:

Dish/Direct 85%
Netflix 10%
Amazon 5%
No kids, sports and CNBC mainly, some NFLX for my wife we could get in an app.

Slightly OT:

I can't speak for Netflix but my daughter loves much of the original content on Disney channel. If they can repeat that success on Plus, they have a huge advantage with the younger viewer when they are not gaming.

The movies to be created just for Plus would be the game changer one would think. Just the Marvel/Pixar lineup gives them huge advantages I'd say. These are the characters breaking records at the box office so I see this as an extension of that. In full disclosure I also own the stock.

Disney has also just put in Star Wars, Avatar lands......and I bet Marvel land will be next. And they’re stacking up movies left/right for the near future. You don’t do that if it’s not increasingly profitable. Money hand over fist.

I think people will start treating a Netflix subscription the same as a HBO subscription. With HBO a lot of people only have it during the season of a show they like. They would only subscribe during Game of Thrones for example. I think people will start to subscribe for shows like Stranger Things and then cancel and wait until their next show gets a new season.

“We expect Fidelity and E*TRADE to react next and announce cuts to their own commission rates over the short-term, with both likely matching SCHW’s/AMTD’s zero rate,” said Credit Suisse’s research analyst Craig Siegenthaler in a note to clients titled “Finishing the Race to Zero.”

Oh, heck yeah! Let's get this done!

“We expect Fidelity and E*TRADE to react next and announce cuts to their own commission rates over the short-term, with both likely matching SCHW’s/AMTD’s zero rate,” said Credit Suisse’s research analyst Craig Siegenthaler in a note to clients titled “Finishing the Race to Zero.”

Oh, heck yeah! Let's get this done!
It certainly opens the door, though I’m trying to become more disciplined!

It certainly opens the door, though I’m trying to become more disciplined!

I would love it. I have it set up to dump a % of my paycheck into my Fidelity account. Once I save up a little.....usually monthly......I dump it into one of my funds, etc. All of those transactions add up.

Reactions: lz and AustinTXCat
Robinhood has no commissions but limits you to 3 day trades per 5 days. Now that others are also commission free do they have a day trade limit?

Hopefully, Boulder will chime in, but I retired at 59, not because I made a lot of money as a teacher, but mainly because I had invested wisely and had confidence that I would cautiously invest in stocks in the future to beat inflation and meet our needs along with our SS and my state pension. We’re still fine financially and health-wise after 13 years of retirement.

Last edited:
As someone who retired at 55 I recommend not investing in stocks. Yes maybe you’ll hit big, but more likely you’ll lose, Be conservative, diversify, go for the slow steady growth.
As someone who's "retired" in his late 20's, this isn't the good advice

Dish/Direct 85%
Netflix 10%
Amazon 5%
I haven't read through this thread but ATT and is in prime position to die over the next 5 years.

Just to comment on the streaming people are debating in here. They are mostly losers. Netflix was a winner bc it was out in front can it stay viable with originals? The burning of cash on originals says otherwise. Disney+ won't effect disney enough to push the stock short-term, but if they add all their subsidiaries well buying out netflix doesn't seem improbable to try and strangle the streaming market. Hulu is another top competitor and probably the only i'd consider investing in. Disney and Netflix are priced in without a merger.

Why OI? Plenty of bottom fishes
Great P/E. Target price of 15.4 over the next year. Gigantic worldwide footprint. Roughly 1/2 of all new glass bottles on the planet are manufactured by OI. The firm just purchased the furnaces producing glass bottles for Modelo in Mexico. Like NWL, this issue requires patience. Unlike NWL, this issue is a "small-cap" and requires increased intestinal fortitude, as volatility is way up there.

Great P/E. Target price of 15.4 over the next year. Gigantic worldwide footprint. Roughly 1/2 of all new glass bottles on the planet are manufactured by OI. The firm just purchased the furnaces producing glass bottles for Modelo in Mexico. Like NWL, this issue requires patience. Unlike NWL, this issue is a "small-cap" and requires increased intestinal fortitude, as volatility is way up there.
Thanks for the response. I honestly knew nothing about the company but will research. As for costco, just opened in china and within 7 days they decided to open another. Packed wall to wall, chinese desire a American consumer chain like costco. Its a good long term play even though business ethics are much different in china, much more theft and returns. I like this stock as a longterm 3-5 year hold if you've got the money to play with, and I rarely suggest long term holds.

I haven't read through this thread but ATT and is in prime position to die over the next 5 years.
I've been in and of T 4 times over the past 20 years. Still own spin-off shares (CTL and CMCSA). Recently completed a roundup to near 100 shares in CTL via DRiP because price is right. CTL recently outbid T for the Texas state government wired business.

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
Just to comment on the streaming people are debating in here. They are mostly losers. Netflix was a winner bc it was out in front can it stay viable with originals? The burning of cash on originals says otherwise. Disney+ won't effect disney enough to push the stock short-term, but if they add all their subsidiaries well buying out netflix doesn't seem improbable to try and strangle the streaming market. Hulu is another top competitor and probably the only i'd consider investing in. Disney and Netflix are priced in without a merger.

Lol. We were just talking about Disney+ and Netflix simply as what do people watch......not from a stock perspective. Though, it’s a stock thread so I certainly understand the confusion.

Thanks for coming on board. I love when people come on with good knowledge and experience. Keep it up.

As someone who retired at 55 I recommend not investing in stocks. Yes maybe you’ll hit big, but more likely you’ll lose, Be conservative, diversify, go for the slow steady growth.
I'm at roughly 35% in individual stocks. Rest are funds (equity + debt) and cash. Maybe 38% cash. A couple decent cash investments remain out there. Grabbed a 3.6%/40 month Roth CD via Navy FCU last year that still allows additional contributions at that rate.

Current equity valuations are lofty, in my opinion. For example, I've slowed RPM investments because 35 trailing P/E and 16 forward P/E seems far too risky for now. A correction is coming. The only question is when.

Reactions: jameslee32 and lz
I'm at roughly 35% in individual stocks. Rest are funds (equity + debt) and cash. Maybe 38% cash. A couple decent cash investments remain out there. Grabbed a 3.6%/40 month Roth CD via Navy FCU last year that still allows additional contributions at that rate.

Current equity valuations are lofty, in my opinion. For example, I've slowed RPM investments because 35 trailing P/E and 16 forward P/E seems far too risky for now. A correction is coming. The only question is when.

Right on. It all comes down to the individual. How much risk are they willing to accept? Goals? Stage of their lives? Etc.

In my 20’s I was risky. Nearly 100% stock....and not very good ones. No family....thought I knew it all. Swore I was going to be a multi-millionaire by 30. So much money wasted. Man I wish I could go back in time. I know vastly more now.......and still with much to learn. I’m trying to pass on knowdge to my kids. Maybe they’ll be smarter than me. Unfortunately the money lessons learned from my parents were all negative. They aced the loving, supportive family part, but with money.........ouch was it bad.

For my long term holders of stock. Invest in costco now. That'll be 10% thanks.
Costco is a great business with a solid track record of quality products, growth and recurring revenue in their yearly subscriptions.

That being said, I am very late to the party and would not start a position here at the current valuation. Should it get hit some and the consumer still very strong, it would be worth it for me to start a position. Not up here at 32x forward earnings. Last week was better timing.

Congress, foreign policy and tweets can not kill this market.
+1

Nice little run-up today. Sold part of OI because I averaged down earlier and opportunity arose.

Pro tip: Check out S&P futures as soon as you wake up. Good predictor for the 1/2 day. Seeing lots of decent momentum mid-mornings + early afternoons lately. Day trader's dream time. Loving these high beta positions right now.

+1

Nice little run-up today. Sold part of OI because I averaged down earlier and opportunity arose.

Pro tip: Check out S&P futures as soon as you wake up. Good predictor for the 1/2 day. Seeing lots of decent momentum mid-mornings + early afternoons lately. Day trader's dream time. Loving these high beta positions right now.
Futures can be a good harbinger of what's to come and can mean a good day in Asia or at least a good start here as you say. But surely we've seen enough reversals to know better for investing for the long haul. I can see myself trading a bit more in retirement and selling on the early strength though, to your point.

As to the resiliency of this market, it seems only the consumer slowing can hurt it now. With more rates cuts on the horizon, I'm not sure anything stands in the way of gains the rest of the year. At least until the December tax loss selling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT