ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

Wait. Stocks go up and down?

Goddamn. I’ll be shit.
And woe unto those coming here to speak the subject! We have a turd dropping by with no advice nor knowledge, just guffawing if anyone mentions buying or considering buying a stock months or years ago. He has the time to track back at what price we “might” have bought and what it’s worth right now with no consideration that we might have already sold the stock at its high.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

OR, he's ridiculing people who are essentially playing the lottery who think they have some incredible insight into finances that sharp folks on Wall Street don't.

Keep picking single stocks and giving money away, we'll beat you with our boring passive index funds over time.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
OR, he's ridiculing people who are essentially playing the lottery who think they have some incredible insight into finances that sharp folks on Wall Street don't.

Keep picking single stocks and giving money away, we'll beat you with our boring passive index funds over time.
Several of us mix passive funds with individual stock picks. WTH is wrong with people like you who don’t want other people to enjoy board conversations with those of similar interests? It’s our own money.

You know, this is, after all, the STOCK ADVICE thread. And the majority of the advice on here is shit. When the majority of your picks, your "advice" can be beaten soundly be a passive fund, a muni bond, a CD at your local credit union, or even just by hiding it under your mattress to preserve your capital -- you deserve everything I'm throwing at you.

Dow is up > 10% so far this year, and you boobs are LOSING money, all the while popping your collars and pretending to be brilliant.

But seriously. Good luck on your day trading.

Reactions: AlbanyWildCat

If you read this thread regularly, you would know that those "plays of the lottery" equate to a crazy small portion of each person's portfolio. The vast, vast, vast majority on here have good'ole blended portfolios. It's not nearly as much fun to talk about how FBALX is up nearly 10% over the last decade.

Besides, if you know the risks and go in with eyes wide open then what does it matter how another person spends their money?

Reactions: AustinTXCat and lz
You know, this is, after all, the STOCK ADVICE thread. And the majority of the advice on here is shit. When the majority of your picks, your "advice" can be beaten soundly be a passive fund, a muni bond, a CD at your local credit union, or even just by hiding it under your mattress to preserve your capital -- you deserve everything I'm throwing at you.

Dow is up > 10% so far this year, and you boobs are LOSING money, all the while popping your collars and pretending to be brilliant.

Once again, if you go through this thread the vast, vast, vast, vast majority of the posters are mainly invested in bonds, funds, dividend, solid stocks, etc. You are cherry picking a few of us talking about investing small amounts of money into long shots and blowing it up.

Reactions: AustinTXCat and lz

Good, find a thread on passive investing or just buy VOOG and then hush. BTW, the S&P was down yesterday. I read recently that a big bubble is ahead for passive investing, liquidity problems on a big selloff among other things....put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Oh so you read one article that one person thinks a passive index bubble is ahead...yea, I read it too.

I can point to about 10000x articles about how day trading by novices is a losing effort. TFP

Oh so you read one article that one person thinks a passive index bubble is ahead...yea, I read it too.

I can point to about 10000x articles about how day trading by novices is a losing effort. TFP
What you and a couple of other Johnny-come-latelys don’t realize is that several traders with wild ideas have left the board now that the cannabis frenzy has died down...maybe they riled you, I don’t know. What is left primarily are people like Jameslee, Blueraider, Dayton, AustinTx, Dallas, etc, who make thoughtful trades, are not braggarts and have invested for many years. I’m retired and have invested since the 1990s, including the dotcom bubble. We don’t blink and will continue commenting on this thread despite the boos and criticism from those that are either jealous or can’t stand other people having enjoyment. Capish?

Personally speaking, I've been fully into for over 30 years now. I started with mutual funds and Dividend Reinvestment Plans (DRiPs). The first mutual fund I purchased was the Franklin Income Fund (FKINX), which I still own 30 years later. My first stocks were PG and KR, purchased through DRiPs. My reasons for purchase is because both issues were very familiar after living in KY.

Thereafter, I greatly expanded my exposure to both mutual funds and additional DRiP issues via my only means available at the time: US Mail through an APO. Only since 1998, have I used online brokerage accounts (Ameritrade - now TD Ameritrade).

Yes, day-traders usually lose more often than they win. If I'm not mistaken, many if not all brokerage houses require at least $25K in assets before allowing the practice. Could be an SEC rule. Over the long term. day-trading is not a viable option for your typical investor, as this practice requires years of experience and prep.

Long-term, dedicated investors, such as lz, jameslee and others, including myself, sometimes enjoy bragging a little about our short-term successes. It comes with the territory. With success comes pain. Please be advised I also lost my ass on bank stocks during the financial crisis. I rode my once-$45K position in National City Corp (NCC) down to $2K, and remember posting about it and discussing the loss here on the Paddock with a former NCC employee around 10 years ago. PNC ended up purchasing NCC assets. That money was supposed to go toward my cabin (tiny house) back in KY. Hey, we win a few, we lose a few.

Re: Index funds. Love them, and currently own two sitting in Charles Schwab and Fidelity accounts. Roboadvisors are cool, too. I plan on throwing a few $ into either a Fidelity or eTrade robo account just to see what happens.

At the end of the day, there are those of us who still enjoy using tools and crunching data to predict equity movements. I'm very happy they post here.

Fine post, Austin, I might add that when the inevitable bear hits, our “safe” index funds will get hammered, too, and that really tests a person if it extends from several months up to a few years. Back in the early days the gurus told us to invest heavily in foreign funds for “protection”, and we learned that the general foreign funds went down a lot, too, so be cautious with everything!

Notice they only rag on the stock losers even though they could be far outweighed by wins over the long haul? As lz and Austin have pointed out, many of us have heavy index/mutual fund exposure yet are playing with house/discretionary money in order to hopefully beat the S&P 500. Is this still the America where risk takers still live, work and play?

This is an IRA bet for us basically.

Wonder what could possibly be a play on allergies? I never had this problem until recently. I hear so many people saying the same thing when getting older.
James, got my weekly shot today and asked my veteran allergist/ENT nurse about any ideas. As usual she’s not a stock buyer, but after some thought, she said no new medicines, but Stryker continually is involved with their new equipment purchases and other products. I’ve been trying to get some SYK because of its dividend and growth, seems fully priced but one to consider. Another area that is finally rapidly growing is the C-pap category from personal experience locally...people are biting the bullet and using them more readily, plus Medicare helps defray costs for Boomers.

James, got my weekly shot today and asked my veteran allergist/ENT nurse about any ideas. As usual she’s not a stock buyer, but after some thought, she said no new medicines, but Stryker continually is involved with their new equipment purchases and other products. I’ve been trying to get some SYK because of its dividend and growth, seems fully priced but one to consider. Another area that is finally rapidly growing is the C-pap category from personal experience locally...people are biting the bullet and using them more readily, plus Medicare helps defray costs for Boomers.
SYK is a heavy play on aging Boomers. I like it too.

I always think I missed the RMD run but as long as people are overweight or with respiratory issues at night, perhaps not.

SYK is a heavy play on aging Boomers. I like it too.

I always think I missed the RMD run but as long as people are overweight or with respiratory issues at night, perhaps not.
Perhaps RMD comes down some in price, certainly one to watch, bought 25 sh in SYK, more if it drops.

I will continue picking individual issues and profiting handsomely, thank you.

70065757_10218613871798569_2183356340137623552_n.jpg

Earlier in this thread, I discussed ABBV, GT and IVZ. Please see screenshot above. Note gains on aforementioned issues. ASG, by the way, has been in my portfolio since at least 2015.

Below is my purchase and sell history over the past month.

70623663_10218613871918572_1061204311951802368_n.jpg

During the same period (30 days), Fidelity Index 500 (FXAIX) returned just over 4%. Run the math. This is a short-term example. If I can pull up enough history, I'll try displaying 20-25 years tomorrow.

Bottom line: Valid reasons exist why we "keep picking single stocks".

Reactions: jameslee32 and lz
Welp, lost $500 this morning on a MCFT trade based on EPS (I rarely do those, the past pattern looked perfect), but it could have been much worse as I considered buying more than my 1,000 shares. Anyway, I recommend not currently investing in sports’ boat companies, and I’m staying with cautious investing type buys the rest of the year.

Hey everyone.....just a snap shot of a few of the funds I'm in on. They're doing ok today.

FBMPX is up +0.72% today
FDCPX +1.57%
FOCPX +1.05%
FPHAX +0.77%
FSCSX +0.59%
FSRPX even
FXAIX +0.72%
FZROX +0.85%
TRBCX +0.64%

I didn't want to give the impression that I'm all in on Canopy Growth......or something.....

Hey everyone.....just a snap shot of a few of the funds I'm in on. They're doing ok today.

FBMPX is up +0.72% today
FDCPX +1.57%
FOCPX +1.05%
FPHAX +0.77%
FSCSX +0.59%
FSRPX even
FXAIX +0.72%
FZROX +0.85%
TRBCX +0.64%

I didn't want to give the impression that I'm all in on Canopy Growth......or something.....
In addition to 401k funds owned at my workplace, below is a list of other funds I currently own.

Mutual Funds Owned
FUSEX
FXAIX also
FCNTX
FINPX
VFIAX
VGHAX
VSIAX
VWINX
VGENX
VFIIX
VIPSX

ETF's Owned
SPY
IWM
DVY
VEA
BLV
VFH
IAU
BSV

Stock Advice Thread Poster Owned
PTI

Haha yeah i got treated to a maddd expensive dinner on Wednesday night. It was rockin!!!

]My friend is a genuinely great human. Very, very stoked for him. Hopefully this will let him retire and spend time with family. IPO did wayyy above my expectations: market cap at 5B now.
Anything particularly that separates this genomics company from others? I’m a novice on that subject, but will watch the stock settle over the next few weeks.

Reactions: d2atTech
Anything particularly that separates this genomics company from others? I’m a novice on that subject, but will watch the stock settle over the next few weeks.

Realistically, because the market believes in the potential and the revenue ramp isnt saturated.

Like Illumina, they are dependant on a single revenue stream (200M vs 2B), which makes them overweight. Unlike guardant, they don't need payor collaboration, which makes me more bullish on them. Thermo has highly diversified (27B revenue), but has stagnant growth barely above inflation

Okay, my current funds and approximate investment dates. I'll screenshot a very important lesson about taxable bond fund investments at the end of the post.

My very first fund: Franklin Income Fund. (FKINX) Opened in 1989 with a $100 investment. 4.25% front-end load.

FKINX (1989)
HYINX (1993)
AACAX (1995 IRA) Was ALSCX until 2017
HYINX (1996 IRA)
GTHIX (1996 Roth)
SSTVX (1997 IRA)
EKJAX (1997 IRA)
WLCAX (1997 Roth)
FCNTX (2006 IRA Rollover from 401K)
FXAIX (2006 IRA Rollover from 401K)
FZILX (2018 IRA)
VWEHX (2010 IRA Rollover from 401K)
VMXXX (2010 IRA Rollover from 401K)
SWAGX (2018 Roth)
SWTSX (2018 Roth)
SWCSX (2019 Roth)
Couple other Fidelity Roth income funds not listed.

Huge mistake I made by staying with a taxable junk bond fund. Sure, great yield, but later learned solely chasing debt yield is a loser. One might lean more in favor of equity yields and seek rising dividends. Below is a 23-year result. $3,125 invested.

70119818_10218628766450926_1835284846075707392_n.jpg

HYINX. Even though 341% cumulative return is realized, annualized only comes comes in at 6.67% - 1996-2019. I invested $100/mo between 1993-1996. Some numbers are a bit off, but you get the general idea. For comparative purposes, I sold BOBE last year due to the Post merger, and annualized return on it = 8.7% between 1993-2018. Meh, a decent tax write off next year or year after. I could have realized a better return had I not been so hung up on junk bond funds way back when.

God bless America and our tax code. More tales of winning and losing at a later date.

Loving this current bull run. Good luck everyone.

Okay, my current funds and approximate investment dates. I'll screenshot a very important lesson about taxable bond fund investments at the end of the post.

My very first fund: Franklin Income Fund. (FKINX) Opened in 1989 with a $100 investment. 4.25% front-end load.

FKINX (1989)
HYINX (1993)
AACAX (1995 IRA) Was ALSCX until 2017
HYINX (1996 IRA)
GTHIX (1996 Roth)
SSTVX (1997 IRA)
EKJAX (1997 IRA)
WLCAX (1997 Roth)
FCNTX (2006 IRA Rollover from 401K)
FXAIX (2006 IRA Rollover from 401K)
FZILX (2018 IRA)
VWEHX (2010 IRA Rollover from 401K)
VMXXX (2010 IRA Rollover from 401K)
SWAGX (2018 Roth)
SWTSX (2018 Roth)
SWCSX (2019 Roth)
Couple other Fidelity Roth income funds not listed.

Huge mistake I made by staying with a taxable junk bond fund. Sure, great yield, but later learned solely chasing debt yield is a loser. One might lean more in favor of equity yields and seek rising dividends. Below is a 23-year result. $3,125 invested.

70119818_10218628766450926_1835284846075707392_n.jpg

HYINX. Even though 341% cumulative return is realized, annualized only comes comes in at 6.67% - 1996-2019. I invested $100/mo between 1993-1996. Some numbers are a bit off, but you get the general idea. For comparative purposes, I sold BOBE last year due to the Post merger, and annualized return on it = 8.7% between 1993-2018. Meh, a decent tax write off next year or year after. I could have realized a better return had I not been so hung up on junk bond funds way back when.

God bless America and our tax code. More tales of winning and losing at a later date.

Loving this current bull run. Good luck everyone.
Yipes, toyed with junk bonds one year, but lost my nerve and sold, the stress of risk got to me on those!

Yipes, toyed with junk bonds one year, but lost my nerve and sold, the stress of risk got to me on those!
Well, you're right. My main hangups back during the 90s centered on lack of actionable information along with geographic constraints. I finally got a decent 14.4 baud connection after deploying back to the USA in 1996. Previously, I used Wall Street Journal - Europe, Barrons (Europe edition), Kiplingers and Money magazines before obtaining some semblance of connectivity.

I experienced some great wins back then. Invested in the old CFB at $550 and sold at $975. Keithley Instruments (KEI) out of Ohio was a monster. $1000 invested in 1995-1996 became $17,000 in 2000. I paid cash for a new Mazda pickup with the proceeds in 2000. I went for investing in companies with a demonstrated track record over the long term. All by mail.

Fast forward to 2019, and yes, these young guys have a point about index funds. That's fine, but 5+ year returns over the long term produce huge wins in individual equities if managed correctly .

I've been into Employers Mutual Casualty (EMCI) since 1994. Tomorrow they go private. It's another M&A. My plan is reinvesting in MET and MFC, but taking a different route this time. Rather than deal with a DRiP, the plan is transfer $ over to a taxable account, purchase shares, enable dividend reinvestment, and sit back. Less paperwork, less hassle and possibly less fees.

Since everybody and their brother/sister/significant other brags about beating us "stock pickers" with index funds, below are the numbers:

S&P 500 Annualized Return, 1994-2018: 9.08%
EMCI Annualized Return, 1994-2018: 11.02%

S&P 500 Cumulative Return, 1994-2018: 878%
EMCI Cumulative Return, 1994-2018: 1263%

2019 taxes gonna hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT