ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

A grand is no joke. I'm guessing no partial shares offered?

You'd miss a year of return on your money if you had to wait until one share. The S&P would get you 7-8% most years.

You could try investing with a broker that does partial shares and no transaction fees into a low fee S&P500 fund/etf until you have enough.
Or get 2% in a savings/CD.

But this is a sports message board so you may want professional advice.:flushed:
It looks like partial shares are offered. I just wish they gave a discount on shares because some other companies to that.

Reactions: lz
By no means not the only one but Stash lets you buy partial shares as well. I think this is the same one I saw on Mad Money or Halftime Report. They had a good story to tell.

One key might be dividend payments and if you have to own a full share to receive dividends or participate in a DRIP.

Of course everyone's finance and debt situation is different.
https://www.stashinvest.com/

Reactions: Juvellino
So what are the benefits compared to buying it on the open market?
$10 a week is the minimum we are allowed to put in. There appears to be no benefits besides convenience and saving some money on fees which is frankly, very disappointing. When I joined the company we were told we would get a share every year. Those days are over and this Direct Stock Purchase Program has replaced it. Luckily I’ve been at the company a couple years and have a couple shares vesting in May.

That being said, $10 a week wouldn’t kill me and I don’t plan on leaving any time soon. Who knows, maybe it would add up faster than I think especially if I elect to increase my weekly contribution at some point. It’s something for me to think about.

Last edited:
The only reason the high share price concerns me is it would take a long time for me to get to 1 share. If I put in $20 per pay check it would take more than a year.
Look carefully at fees. Over the years, I've paid more than I should when DRiP investing within various plans. In some cases, it's actually cheaper to open an Ameritrade or etrade account and purchase 10 shares and reinvest dividends. Some plans are criminal.

I like your confidence. Wish I shared in it more. haha

I can afford to be. I bought into CGC early.....then bought and sold when it bobbed up and down. I'm waaaay up on CGC.....so, it helps me to be a little reckless. I still think that CGC is one of the major players for the sweepstakes. Constellation has backed them with so much cash....and CGC is well positioned for the US/world markets in a variety of ways. I think that the price will stabilize.......and go back up to a degree once a CEO is announced and confidence restored.

Though, completely understand that I'm casting a wide net with the marijuana industry. ACB, CGC, IIPR, SMG, HEXO, CWB....and potentially TLRY. And I'm thinking long term......it'll be a few yrs before the US legalizes and the world markets take off.

.......not to mention that 95% of my portfolio is much more stable funds, markets, bonds, stocks, etc. Honestly, this is where I make most of the money. Playing the pot field is fun......and it does have the "what if" factor.....but I'm not counting on it being my future.

Reactions: jameslee32
Added more JNJ today and could see myself buying this for a while during the election cycle. The health insurance rhetoric, the aging of boomers and the climate issues aren't going away any time soon.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Agreed. These issues are not going away. The climate change issue may worsen.
This is an IRA bet for us basically.

Wonder what could possibly be a play on allergies? I never had this problem until recently. I hear so many people saying the same thing when getting older.

Wonder what could possibly be a play on allergies? I never had this problem until recently. I hear so many people saying the same thing when getting older.
True. After living in Texas over 24 years, I'm now in the category of allergy sufferer. Damn cedar trees.

I'll check into that one.

Reactions: jameslee32
Just when the talking heads were saying the semi's were dead, a couple of mine are nearing 52 week highs.
MU and KLAC
[cheers]

Great day today but my pot stocks are still suffering although much smaller positions as well.
ACB and IIPR

[poop]

I got allergies in my 40s, had several sinus infections, finally tested for allergies and was positive for dust and mold. Injections weekly have literally ended the infections, highly recommend...some ENTs only require monthly injections, I understand.

Just when the talking heads were saying the semi's were dead, a couple of mine are nearing 52 week highs.
MU and KLAC
[cheers]

Great day today but my pot stocks are still suffering although much smaller positions as well.
ACB and IIPR

[poop]
Indeed, only have a few shares left of IIPR, need legalization in the US before I get excited again, too much competition.

True. After living in Texas over 24 years, I'm now in the category of allergy sufferer. Damn cedar trees.

I'll check into that one.
My ENT has me on two different prescription nasal sprays, nothing new under the sun investing wise.

Fluticasone is the most widely prescribed allergy ingredient. It's also the active ingredient in Flonase but I bought the Kroger equivalent a month ago so apparently there is no patent for GSK. The newer allergy medicines are perhaps still in trials.

Fluticasone is the most widely prescribed allergy ingredient. It's also the active ingredient in Flonase but I bought the Kroger equivalent a month ago so apparently there is no patent for GSK. The newer allergy medicines are perhaps still in trials.
Exactly, my second prescription is Azelastine spray made by Apotex Corp, a private company.

Congrats to all you boobs for losing your ass on pot stocks. Well done, savvy investors.

Benefitting from CGC today, but it’s been flat...unfortunately sold Acreage after owning it briefly. Dgtatu01 gave us a stock that has done real good this past week, SLGWF, glad I bought a bunch per his good advice! These smaller cannabis stocks are working for me, but very, very volatile!

$1.98 when you posted this. Currently $0.74.

Nice move.

$1.98 when you posted this. Currently $0.74.

Nice move.
LOLOLOLOL, are you still having that beam in your eye problem, or can you not read streaming stock prices? CGC ended today at $27.23, you must have mistaken it for your stock pick, CMP, Can’t Make Profits corporation. I sold out in July at mid $40s, my only cannabis stock I’ve held after considerable profit in it is 50 sh of IIPR. I didn’t hold the other stocks more than a few weeks, too many Canadian companies, I’m not hung up on cannabis stocks. I doubt you have the stomach to own stock.

Still going to call for FNMA and FMCC. Huge court decision last Friday in favor of shareholders could turn this into a double or way more.

Of course the govt could surprise and try to continue to screw shareholders some way.

Reactions: lz
Sold PG in my brokerage account at $102 after 19 years of buying and selling it over the years. It had done extremely well in that timeframe. I would buy again lower and I also own it in my IRA after buying last year so I believe in it longer term.

5/15:
PG = $106.70

9/9:
PG = $122.70

Way to sell that one!

Last edited:
In the interim, I share the link to my marked-up Chart on CGC from today. The small amount of options to Swing Trade that I grabbed in haste on Friday were a mistake; fortunately I knew I was doing out of impulse reaction and only picked up an amount that equates to less than 1% of trading portfolio size. Before adding to the position to bring it to a 2-3% position, the correct thing is for me to wait for the stock to break out above the the descending red line (currently ends-up just below 47.5, but will be less if stock continues to drift), while also showing the A/D line and/or even more so the OBV line reverse to trend back upwards. I'll want to see 8-day moving average line (white) to crossover the 13-day MA line as the confirmation signal.

The horizontal line at around 41ish is a support area that I prefer the stock to not breach. If it does, then we could see a test of the 50-day MA (blue) as support. Not what I want, I want the stock to stay above the 41ish horizontal line during this retraction/consolidation, and then break up above that descending red line on better than average volume. If it does, then you can see resistance at around 52ish, with the next area of resistance being 57ish and then just under 60.

You can see from the current upward channel lines, which if the stock continues to follow, show a price target of eventually mid 70's to 80. Yes, I said that.

CGC

http://schrts.co/AqBHeKwU

Good call on CGC.

It closed at $27.83 yesterday. It was $44.54 when you posted this nonsense.

Down more than 50% since April 11.

Notice that I only put $50 on SRUTF saying that it was a high risk play. Oops, it's currently a few dozen $ down. Oooooh, how will I live with that?

Oh, hey, I know how I'll live with that. Even with the current decline of the pot stocks, I'm still thousands of dollars up on pot stocks because I bought and sold during the ebb/flow.

NOT TO MENTION THAT THE PLAY ON POT IS LONG TERM. Who gives a crap what happens in the last several months? What matters is what happens over the next 5-10+ yrs.

Also, quit being such a jerk with all these posts trying to put down others. There's not a single person in this thread that is putting all their eggs into pot stocks. By far the largest portion of my portfolio is in things like FSCSX....balanced with some more risk adverse picks.

5/15:
PG = $106.70

9/9:
PG = $122.70

Way to sell that one!
Any fool can tell he averaged into that stock at a much lower cost than you posted. Crawl back under the bed and suck your thumb.

Today I added a few shares to IRBT, CGC and 3 software stocks-WDAY, VEEV & NOW. I prefer to get these lower, looks like we continue to have a little run with the China talks, budget settlement and majority of eps reports behind us for this quarter.

On 2/15 IRBT closed at $119.39. Today it’s selling at $63.85.

Nice buy.

:joy:

On 2/15 IRBT closed at $119.39. Today it’s selling at $63.85.

Nice buy.

:joy:
Dumped it long ago, what a fun hobby you have...why, you could be working or something. Here’s one you can watch for me, bought MCFT at $15.89 a week ago, eps released early Th morning, laugh at me if I lose money when I quickly sell it. Others I bought, ADBE at $179.42, CYBR at $70.71, IAC at $212.27, AMZN at $1,650.28, RACE at $137.40. A couple of the guys you are trying to ridicule are excellent, patient value investors. Carry on, you’re fun.[roll]

Here’s another one I bought today, PTI, and you are likely not sharp enough to discern why, PHG...long term hold.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT