ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

I still have a lot of faith in AMD for the long haul. Good, let it drop. They are still poised to take big chunks out of Intel and Nvidia.

Two stories this week were very telling: That kid winning $3 million playing Fortnite and another video game celeb switching video streaming platforms. They both tell us how big video gaming has become, for competitions, marketing, etc. It's no longer a few nerds that just made $75k at a convention in Vegas.. the potential is real.. and AMD (along with Intel and Nvidia) have nothing to gain but profits.

Until the $1000 PS5 comes out next yr......lol.

**If you haven't followed the situation, the Chinese tariffs have caused Sony to jack up the price of the PS5.....which goes on sale next yr.**

Until the $1000 PS5 comes out next yr......lol.

**If you haven't followed the situation, the Chinese tariffs have caused Sony to jack up the price of the PS5.....which goes on sale next yr.**

Still have the Xbox and they just signed on with Nintendo.

Maybe this isn't as much of a "Buy AMD" as it is "Buy AMD/Intel/Nvidia".. I just see that market taking off. As several sports try and figure out how to grow with the times... video gaming (and maybe bigger, the watch-ability of gaming) is on an absolute tear.

Maybe this isn't as much of a "Buy AMD" as it is "Buy AMD/Intel/Nvidia".. I just see that market taking off. As several sports try and figure out how to grow with the times... video gaming (and maybe bigger, the watch-ability of gaming) is on an absolute tear.

I think virtual reality is the future of gaming. If you haven't seen it yet, watch the movie Ready, Player One. I think gaming like that is coming.....and will be a huge hit.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/01/06/5-virtual-reality-stocks-to-watch-in-2019.aspx

Buying GRUB at $66 and BA at $330 -- with another buy order at $300 if the market craters Friday -- following the sell off on the fed news and tariffs over the last two days.

I have a friend who sits on a board with the GRUB CEO, and his general impression (no insider intel) is that the guy will prevail over competitors. I'll look to sell at $100-$120 within a year. As far as BA, still a rocky road ahead with killing all those passengers and such. It's a long-term play on my part. But overseas air travel is going to continue to explode and Boeing will eventually dominate again. The price has become right.
You'll regret buying Grub.

I think virtual reality is the future of gaming. If you haven't seen it yet, watch the movie Ready, Player One. I think gaming like that is coming.....and will be a huge hit.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/01/06/5-virtual-reality-stocks-to-watch-in-2019.aspx

I think the biggest thing right now is the spectator-side of gaming. Gaming was a "niche-sport". For people in the 2000's, there was some interest but not much. As a gamer, I recall a few big names from the Counter-Strike days. But that was it..

Now.. you have 20 and under absolutely swept up in the tournaments, personalities, etc. A game that's only a few years old just awarded a $3m prize? That shows what viewership (and therefore advertising) can do for gaming.

Sitting tight right now. I don't feel the pain is over but ACB was damn tempting. Too late now. Still might buy JNJ under $130 as I did before. The good news is I have plenty of cash to buy. My wife's IRA alone realized a 41% gain in total sales this year. Mostly from liquidating RDN. If she only knew.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
I think the biggest thing right now is the spectator-side of gaming. Gaming was a "niche-sport". For people in the 2000's, there was some interest but not much. As a gamer, I recall a few big names from the Counter-Strike days. But that was it..

Now.. you have 20 and under absolutely swept up in the tournaments, personalities, etc. A game that's only a few years old just awarded a $3m prize? That shows what viewership (and therefore advertising) can do for gaming.
I agree with gambling the next opportunity. I am currently playing the trend with semi's, content and broadcasting. KLAC, TTWO and DIS for example to name a few.

I doubt it. I've made a lot of trades in the past 32 years and I've made a lot of money at it -- I'm past having to regret an individual buy. You probably didn't like it when it was at $18 - before it spiked up to $142 in a year and a half.

I'm aware of the challenges that pushed it back down. So was the guy who told me after talking with the CEO that he bought it -- and he's made more money on the market than everyone in this thread combined.
A) No CEO is going to shit talk their own company.
B) I'm glad you learned market sense over 32 years. What are your favorite analysis tools to use when picking a stock besides just asking your friend?
C) I just think Grubhub is a bad company with bad service and too much competition. Same way I think ppl putting money in BYND are insane rn too.

Dont be a fool, buy the dip. Go full autistic like me. FWIW I got in on AMD around 10 so I love that stock

I’m the bigger fool. I bought in a long time ago for about the same price you did.....it barely moved for what seemed like an eternity......so I sold it. Ouch!

Agreed. I'm seeing a couple folks in their 60s recently ask me about PC upgrades, better video cards for gaming, etc. Interesting times.

You probably didn't like it when it was at $18 - before it spiked up to $142 in a year and a half.

This is a blatant lie and clear cherry-picking. GRUB hit ~$18 in Jan 2016. 18 months later it was at $45, not $142. AND, 9 months BEFORE Jan 2016, it also also at $45. So, 27 months to get back to flat and nowhere near your $142 18 months after hitting $18. You are cherry picking a low (that I'm sure you didn't buy), as well as a high you definitely didn't sell, considering you are wrong about the timing. It's now less than half that high. As for Matt Maloney, I've met with him numerous times, and he is one of the biggest jackasses I've ever met. He's awful. I have no prediction on GRUB's stock, but the best thing that could happen for the stock is him getting hit by a bus and someone competent taking over. The fact that DoorDash, Postmates, and UberEats even exist is a testament to how terrible he is. They had like a 10 year head start, and he screwed it up. Their next innovation will be their first.

That is all.

I'm happy to own it, based on a solid recommendation from someone who knows more about both the company and the market than anyone on this thread ever will, and who happens to be well enough positioned that he can have direct talks with company CEOs. Those talks are a lot more sophisticated than, "tell me what you like about your company."

Unless the board you are talking about is the GRUB Board (in which case you are getting illegal info), I definitely know more about the company than your buddy, so false. And for the record, those talks wth Maloney are NOT more sophisticated. Your source is buddies with Maloney from some BS charity neither of them really care about, so he's getting fed the exact garbage Maloney believes. And again, Maloney is garbage.

On the plus side, the whole app/delivery industry is massive and only getting bigger. On the negative, Maloney is terrible, and everyone knows it. He's literally the dumbest one in the field. If he quit tomorrow, GRUB would be up 20%, and if someone competent took over, the stock could be a 10 bagger, no doubt. If your buddy can tell you when Maloney is going to quit, that's some primo info.

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
This is a blatant lie and clear cherry-picking. GRUB hit ~$18 in Jan 2016. 18 months later it was at $45, not $142. AND, 9 months BEFORE Jan 2016, it also also at $45. So, 27 months to get back to flat and nowhere near your $142 18 months after hitting $18. You are cherry picking a low (that I'm sure you didn't buy), as well as a high you definitely didn't sell, considering you are wrong about the timing. It's now less than half that high. As for Matt Maloney, I've met with him numerous times, and he is one of the biggest jackasses I've ever met. He's awful. I have no prediction on GRUB's stock, but the best thing that could happen for the stock is him getting hit by a bus and someone competent taking over. The fact that DoorDash, Postmates, and UberEats even exist is a testament to how terrible he is. They had like a 10 year head start, and he screwed it up. Their next innovation will be their first.

That is all.
Unless the board you are talking about is the GRUB Board (in which case you are getting illegal info), I definitely know more about the company than your buddy, so false. And for the record, those talks wth Maloney are NOT more sophisticated. Your source is buddies with Maloney from some BS charity neither of them really care about, so he's getting fed the exact garbage Maloney believes. And again, Maloney is garbage.

On the plus side, the whole app/delivery industry is massive and only getting bigger. On the negative, Maloney is terrible, and everyone knows it. He's literally the dumbest one in the field. If he quit tomorrow, GRUB would be up 20%, and if someone competent took over, the stock could be a 10 bagger, no doubt. If your buddy can tell you when Maloney is going to quit, that's some primo info.
Lol owned. Love Always Sunny btw, even though last season sucked.

Tech taking a dip today. AMD down to 27.97$ Apple down 5%. Those are always fan favorites in here. Haven't bought back in on AMD yet, just watching it patiently.

I’m the bigger fool. I bought in a long time ago for about the same price you did.....it barely moved for what seemed like an eternity......so I sold it. Ouch!
Yeah Ive ridden the wave I bought a bunch around 10-11 in 2018. Road the wave up to 30 back down to 16 then back up to 30 now were at 27.97$. Stock goes up and down like whore. Im just hoping it keeps going up more than down lol. AMD has been going down after earning reports like clockwork, Idk why it just always seems to happen.

Buying into ABBV via brokerage account AND DRiP -- a rarity for me. Really like what I'm reading about the company. Purchasing first 100 shares this morning via TD Ameritrade. Plan on easing into this issue with another 100 shares incrementally over the next few months.

The DRiP has just a one-time setup fee. That's it. No other little pain-in-the-ass charges.

Reactions: jameslee32
Buying into ABBV via brokerage account AND DRiP -- a rarity for me. Really like what I'm reading about the company. Purchasing first 100 shares this morning via TD Ameritrade. Plan on easing into this issue with another 100 shares incrementally over the next few months.

The DRiP has just a one-time setup fee. That's it. No other little pain-in-the-ass charges.
Bottom-fisher.

Wife and I own 217 shares of GT in a JT account. Account has been open since 1999. This issue has recently taken a pounding.

Plan on purchasing more soon. I'm grabbing 100 shares today via TD Ameritrade. We'll DRiP another 100 or so soon through Computershare.

I have a focus on building my dividend portfolio this year, ABBV is one I've been looking at and people seem to be talking about. It's taking a beating this past year, although the 6.5% yield looks good. While I've been watching it though, whenever I think it hits a low, it seems to find a new low.

I have a focus on building my dividend portfolio this year, ABBV is one I've been looking at and people seem to be talking about. It's taking a beating this past year, although the 6.5% yield looks good. While I've been watching it though, whenever I think it hits a low, it seems to find a new low.
Personally, I believe ABBV hit a low, or close to it, which is one reason for purchase. I plan on reinvesting dividends for now within my TD Ameritrade account. Definite reinvestment once the DRiP starts.

Reactions: jameslee32
ACB is a falling knife and I'd like to buy more but will wait until the dust settles and not before going conservative with more JNJ, more IIPR or something like that.

The company I work for just offered a Direct Stock Purchase Program for employees. The share price of the company is very high which makes me hesitant to join this program. Also, there is no discount offered with this program. I just wanted to know if anyone thinks it’s worth it?

A stock would be helpful and the share price itself offers no direct correlation as to whether it's expensive or cheap. .A lot would depend on the sector the company is in as well.
This is one of the most common misconceptions of investing. Look at market cap rather than share price to assess what the company is worth (at least what the market is valuing it at).

I bought Amazon at 750(seemingly a high price). It's beaten the doors off the S&P since then.

The only reason the high share price concerns me is it would take a long time for me to get to 1 share. If I put in $20 per pay check it would take more than a year.

The only reason the high share price concerns me is it would take a long time for me to get to 1 share. If I put in $20 per pay check it would take more than a year.
A grand is no joke. I'm guessing no partial shares offered?

You'd miss a year of return on your money if you had to wait until one share. The S&P would get you 7-8% most years.

You could try investing with a broker that does partial shares and no transaction fees into a low fee S&P500 fund/etf until you have enough.
Or get 2% in a savings/CD.

But this is a sports message board so you may want professional advice.:flushed:

Reactions: Juvellino
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT