ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

Anyone add or get into CGC after Linton resigned or was fired? That was an amazing recovery today as the stock closed at a 2 week high.

In the broader market I sold CY after a 44% gain with the buyout. Sitting at 22% or so cash in the brokerage account and 12% in the wife's IRA's. Missed adding to JNJ unfortunately.

Patiently waiting for the next insane tweet.

Last edited:
Anyone add or get into CGC after Linton resigned or was fired? That was an amazing recovery today as the stock closed at a 2 week high.

In the broader market I sold CY after a 44% gain with the the buyout. Sitting at 22% or so cash in the brokerage account and 13% in the wife's IRA's. Missed adding to JNJ unfortunately.

James, considered it, but had too much Krogering to do before the market closed. However, my CWBHF and IIPR really rode the wave up today...finally, my turn in some up days. It’s a tough situation to please their financial backer, STZ, as CGC may have a long time frame to make a profit.

James, considered it, but had too much Krogering to do before the market closed. However, my CWBHF and IIPR really rode the wave up today...finally, my turn in some up days. It’s a tough situation to please their financial backer, STZ, as CGC may have a long time frame to make a profit.
They had to know it was a long term deal. Idk what they expect but they got what they wanted. Now both companies have new CEO's.

In the broader market I sold CY after a 44% gain with the buyout. Sitting at 22% or so cash in the brokerage account and 12% in the wife's IRA's. Missed adding to JNJ unfortunately.

I’m still holding and haven’t added in a while. Cramer says to buy, not sell. Says that Linton was great to get CGC where they are now, but that Constellation will get a CEO that will take CGC to new heights.

Is any company patient anymore? Maybe a few, like BRK.
More and more retirement and executive bonus money is tied to stocks. Shareholders and boards in many cases live quarter to quarter. Thinking beyond that timeframe provides opportunity because of headline, geopolitical and the temporary risks like weather, regulations or exchange rates for example.

Seems like it's been years since companies like Facebook and Wells Fargo have been in the headlines. Tariffs are simply the latest risk included in the equation.

But will people continue to wash their clothes, brush their teeth, eat food, save for retirement, watch movies and buy gadgets to entertain themselves?

Reactions: lz
I’m still holding and haven’t added in a while. Cramer says to buy, not sell. Says that Linton was great to get CGC where they are now, but that Constellation will get a CEO that will take CGC to new heights.
I enjoy Cramer and his knowledge about so many companies, but I think his buying/selling timing is shaky and scary to follow, at least quickly.

I enjoy Cramer and his knowledge about so many companies, but I think his buying/selling timing is shaky and scary to follow, at least quickly.
He knows his shit but a one size fits all strategy probably isn't the best for everyone. So I won't be jumping into a IPO with my IRA money. Not that he recommends that because he doesn't. Merely an example. I'd say his sell advice carries the most weight come to think about it. I should have sold more KR when I had nice gains.

Last edited:
He's knows his shit but a one size fits all strategy probably isn't the best for everyone. So I won't be jumping into a IPO with my IRA money. Not that he recommends that because he doesn't. Merely an example. I'd say his sell advice carries the most weight come to think about it. I should have sold more KR when I had nice gains.
Good point, the sell crowd will likely follow him, regardless of their own thoughts, buyers get advice from lots of advisers in articles or on CNBC, not so quick to buy.

Reactions: jameslee32
You can thank me for being wrong and moving the cannabis market upwards today. Actually, the FDA had more to do with it (article didn’t print, but headline explains the gist ):

UPDATE: Cannabis stocks rally after FDA says it will speed up effort to create rules for CBD

Reactions: BlueRaider22
BTW, those CBD oil sales people are popping up everywhere, including my sister-in-law and a lady we occasionally visit for massages...all claim theirs is best!:grimace:

BTW, those CBD oil sales people are popping up everywhere, including my sister-in-law and a lady we occasionally visit for massages...all claim theirs is best!:grimace:

Your sister in law isn’t giving “massages” is she? There was an oriental place in Richmond that got busted a few yes back. Lol.

Organi is supposedly really well run. I might pick some up as I accumulate the sector. The sector is going to go nuts the next 5-7 yrs.....and beyond.
I made some money on it, sold it because it was recreational primarily and those have fallen off in that area of Canada. IIPR has been my jewel until they had a new, big stock issuance last week, so I sold off more than 50%...good, unique US cannabis related REIT to watch and accumulate eventually.

Your sister in law isn’t giving “massages” is she? There was an oriental place in Richmond that got busted a few yes back. Lol.
No, don’t believe so! The local lady is legit, I think, hell I’m too old to interest her anyway!

Reactions: BlueRaider22
From what I’m seeing, every pot stock you goofballs have been obsessing over has gotten completely killed the last 3-6 months, in a record breaking market.

Well done!

From what I’m seeing, every pot stock you goofballs have been obsessing over has gotten completely killed the last 3-6 months, in a record breaking market.

Well done!
Maybe it’s time for your cataract surgery. As of 6/30, IIPR was up 172% since 1/1, 640% since 6/30/17. CGC was up 50% since 1/1, CWBHF up 31.5% since 1/1, 158% since 6/30/17. That’s the three cannabis related stocks I’ve held primarily, and yes, July has taken them down some, certainly still have done great. Many cannabis stocks have fared poorly, so maybe that’s the ones an expert like you was attracted to lately.:sunglasses:

Well done!

As lz said, they’ve gone off since we started talking about them....not the last 3-6 months. The amazing thing is that the entire industry is still an embryo. The industry is a 900 lbs gorilla for the future.

The issue is who is going to benefit? This easily could be the biggest boon since the dot com craze.....but how do you know who to back? Or how much? In the end it’s best to cast a wide net with a very small portion of your portfolio right now......then be prepared for some rough seas.....and you might have to wait a while. But.....if you pick the right horse/s then you’re sitting very pretty.

Reactions: jameslee32 and lz
I'd say both look like they struggle to make money which could jeopardize the dividend but any good news and these things will soar. NWL looks much more heavily shorted than SALM also.

I sure have a lot of Cash after some bad eps reports, etc, guess that means to put it back to work cautiously or just put it in VOOG and quit over thinking for a few months!:grimace:

I sure have a lot of Cash after some bad eps reports, etc, guess that means to put it back to work cautiously or just put it in VOOG and quit over thinking for a few months!:grimace:
Lots of mixed market signals. I can see accumulating more cash if the fed passes on cutting rates but it should also provide buying opportunities. Maybe after a 10% correction. It's still a very good consumer economy that keeps going and going. Anything related to China and commodities might struggle.

Don't know about them. Tell us what they're in to and why the optimism.....
NWL: Analyst recs for 1-year price target and current dividend could make this one interesting.

SALM: Penny stock gamble, really. Fundamentally solid company that's made bad social media investments. 1-year price target is double current.

I've owned both for nearly a year and just doubled up.

NWL: Analyst recs for 1-year price target and current dividend could make this one interesting.

SALM: Penny stock gamble, really. Fundamentally solid company that's made bad social media investments. 1-year price target is double current.

I've owned both for nearly a year and just doubled up.
Low risk, high reward?

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Low risk, high reward?
Hopefully. Analyst recs on NWL = $18.85 - $19.05 from current $14.20. I must be patient. I purchased 300 shares over a few trades earlier this year, sold 100 shares for a decent profit, and reinvested dividends. Purchased 200 more shares last week.

SALM is a penny stock with some upside. Target price is $4.75. I just averaged in another 400 shares. Let's see what happens.

Remainder of that account, aside from ASG, is cash.

Buying GRUB at $66 and BA at $330 -- with another buy order at $300 if the market craters Friday -- following the sell off on the fed news and tariffs over the last two days.

I have a friend who sits on a board with the GRUB CEO, and his general impression (no insider intel) is that the guy will prevail over competitors. I'll look to sell at $100-$120 within a year. As far as BA, still a rocky road ahead with killing all those passengers and such. It's a long-term play on my part. But overseas air travel is going to continue to explode and Boeing will eventually dominate again. The price has become right.

Guy at work said he's bottom fishing in LUV. Seems plausible but I'm more inclined to sell a little CSCO perhaps. I might add to JNJ, ACB and start a IIPR position if the downward trend continues though.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
I just strengthened my stance on SMG (Scott’s Miracle Grow). Seems to be a nice long term play.

Also, I think it’s getting close to buy back into GILD.

I still have a lot of faith in AMD for the long haul. Good, let it drop. They are still poised to take big chunks out of Intel and Nvidia.

Two stories this week were very telling: That kid winning $3 million playing Fortnite and another video game celeb switching video streaming platforms. They both tell us how big video gaming has become, for competitions, marketing, etc. It's no longer a few nerds that just made $75k at a convention in Vegas.. the potential is real.. and AMD (along with Intel and Nvidia) have nothing to gain but profits.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT