ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

Seriously?

No, I know about the slide. What I was getting at is.....is this the downturn that people have been predicting? Or just a significant slide out of nowhere? Or a response to some political happenings?

No, I know about the slide. What I was getting at is.....is this the downturn that people have been predicting? Or just a significant slide out of nowhere? Or a response to some political happenings?
Blue, I would call this a quick, sharp correction mainly of high growth stocks (int rate rise, maybe China tariff fears as eps reports arrive late this week). I don’t believe it’s the start of THE bear market, my guess of course. I added a very few shares of AMZN, NVDA and ADBE today and picked up 25 sh AAPL, all at preset prices, had actually not written down the AAPL trade in my wife’s summary sheet I keep, surprised myself..glad I was about 65% Cash for once when something like this happens. No telling whether we go down more or how long, if it goes all the way to the election, buy buy buy as Cramer says! I suspect buyers will come in soon, though, that’s why I’m nibbling now.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Bought V on the way down. DJIA looks like it's rolling over as the Russell and Nasdaq try to hang in there.
My wife said I sounded like Cramer yesterday when I added a tiny amount of shares before the market went way down or way up quickly! Though he changes his mind too often for me, Cramer has good fundamental advice for investors, which is why he’s rich! I’m waiting now for eps reports unless we drop more, I know darn well the top stocks are bouncing back and fairly quickly, including Visa!

Reactions: jameslee32
My wife said I sounded like Cramer yesterday when I added a tiny amount of shares before the market went way down or way up quickly! Though he changes his mind too often for me, Cramer has good fundamental advice for investors, which is why he’s rich! I’m waiting now for eps reports unless we drop more, I know darn well the top stocks are bouncing back and fairly quickly, including Visa!

You know I wonder about Cramer. Let's say for giggles that someone watched Mad Money every wk and really followed his advice. I wonder how they would fare long term?

(now certainly, I understand you'd have to be as wealthy as Buffet to buy/sell every company he shouts out, but.....)

You know I wonder about Cramer. Let's say for giggles that someone watched Mad Money every wk and really followed his advice. I wonder how they would fare long term?

(now certainly, I understand you'd have to be as wealthy as Buffet to buy/sell every company he shouts out, but.....)
A guru did an analysis of stock pickers a few years ago, Cramer was mediocre in his results, but he wasn’t the only one not faring well of several listed. I can’t even remember who was best, guess I figure that changes from time to time. Bill Miller was famous for beating the S&P for many years in a row, then got cold as ice with his picks.

A guru did an analysis of stock pickers a few years ago, Cramer was mediocre in his results, but he wasn’t the only one not faring well of several listed. I can’t even remember who was best, guess I figure that changes from time to time. Bill Miller was famous for beating the S&P for many years in a row, then got cold as ice with his picks.

I figured Cramer had to do something right otherwise he wouldn't still have a show. I was just wondering for the Average Joe out there who didn't know what he was doing when it comes to investing.....nor did they care.......would they do ok for themselves if they just bought and sold off Cramer's advice. Doesn't sound like they would be too bad off.

I figured Cramer had to do something right otherwise he wouldn't still have a show. I was just wondering for the Average Joe out there who didn't know what he was doing when it comes to investing.....nor did they care.......would they do ok for themselves if they just bought and sold off Cramer's advice. Doesn't sound like they would be too bad off.

Not better off than investing in a low cost index fund. That’s true for average joe and everyone really.

Not better off than investing in a low cost index fund. That’s true for average joe and everyone really.

Granted. I figured that was a given. Mutual funds are chapter 1 of the "Investing for Dummies" series of books.

Which I have by the way. It was a good read for someone like me......lol...

Reactions: Get Bucket$
Granted. I figured that was a given. Mutual funds are chapter 1 of the "Investing for Dummies" series of books.

Which I have by the way. It was a good read for someone like me......lol...
Cramer’s rapid fire ideas may not be the greatest help, you just don’t know the timeline in his thinking...he’ll change his mind in a hurry.

Cramer’s rapid fire ideas may not be the greatest help, you just don’t know the timeline in his thinking...he’ll change his mind in a hurry.

I don't really listen to him much. In fact, he talks so fast I can't understand him most of the time. I just wondered what his information is worth.

I don't really listen to him much. In fact, he talks so fast I can't understand him most of the time. I just wondered what his information is worth.
I think the best info I get from him is filing things in my memory he discusses about the latest and greatest ideas and companies such as when cloud got hot, AI, etc. One problem I have is when he “falls in love” with certain CEOs and their companies when I know good and well that these companies have had their run, at least at that point...SBUX, STZ, HD, SQ, etc. SQ has great potential, but huge drop today after they lost the CFO that he loves yesterday to run her own company.

I've owned V since the upper teens and long before Cramer gave his blessing, a 600% increase on the oldest tranche. I don't buy everything he recommends and own some things he doesn't like. The stuff that overlaps, well, you win some and you lose some. Like most people I would guess. But the education on CNBC/Bloomberg is what's news as long as you can ignore the hyperbole.

Reactions: lz and AustinTXCat
I agree as less risk is the major selling point. But even as a S&P 500 Index fund is the largest part of my portfolio, it still lost 2.2% today. Yet the account overall lost only 1.5%.

Nasdaq dead cat bounce here, up 2%?? Or can this market sustain the headline risk of the federal reserve, tariffs, 10-year bond etc? I have to be honest, all the people predicting doom and gloom was refreshing because it's never as good or bad as the talking heads would make it seem. Maybe minus 10 years ago though.

Nasdaq dead cat bounce here, up 2%?? Or can this market sustain the headline risk of the federal reserve, tariffs, 10-year bond etc? I have to be honest, all the people predicting doom and gloom was refreshing because it's never as good or bad as the talking heads would make it seem. Maybe minus 10 years ago though.
Yes, just happy I got a few shares of quality high flyers at lower prices before today’s predictable leap, I will now do nothing except maybe sell a few shares of those stocks I own that are not going up much today.

Reactions: jameslee32
Shoot, I'm trying to upload links to a recent video of a robot doing box jumps and such. There are going to be some huge opportunities with robotics in the future.

Shoot, I'm trying to upload links to a recent video of a robot doing box jumps and such. There are going to be some huge opportunities with robotics in the future.
Just saw that. Cool!

I usually copy the embeded version of the tweet or the video link itself, paste into the media link and save.

Maybe it was yahoo's problem. The original link was a yahoo article and it wouldn't let me link it. I went to fortune.com and it linked immediately.

I have sort of a soft-skill question: How do you guys keep up with so many industries? I KIND OF have an ear to technology, because I've been in IT for nearly 10 years. But some of you seem to bounce between Robots, Marijuana, Finance, etc.

I have sort of a soft-skill question: How do you guys keep up with so many industries? I KIND OF have an ear to technology, because I've been in IT for nearly 10 years. But some of you seem to bounce between Robots, Marijuana, Finance, etc.
Kind of a hobby for me even before retirement, but no kids, plenty of time to read about sports and investing over the years. I watched an hour or so of CNBC early morning as I drank coffee before work, too. Lots of free internet sites (they’ve become apps now) for casual reading about stocks, yahoo.com one of them, CNBC, MSN are others. If you set up a portfolio of symbols of stocks you own or might own, there’s lots of articles under each stock.

I mostly pay attention to society.
-marijuana - I see state after state moving to legalize. Articles will flash across Yahoo’s main page detailing how marijuana can be used for numerous things from healthcare to fuels. The noise becomes enough that I do a little research, then look for ways to capitalize.

-technology - look around society. What’s coming? To me, robots are coming. They will replace factory workers. The average home will have robots cleaning floors, cooking dinner, mowing grass, etc. Drones will be used to deliver goods. There is going to be money made in robots.

Cars are going to become driverless and will move away from the ICE.

-consumerism - box stores like Sears are going out of business. Places like Kroger are delivering groceries or doing quick stops. Amazon is delivering goods with alarming applause. So, investing in online consumerism and delivery methods are areas to make money.

-healthcare - 50 yrs ago certain back procedures were death sentences.....now they’re simple outpatient procedures. Medications are saving people from conditions/diseases that would kill people 20 yrs ago.

I learn a few ways, reading and watching financial news of course. But once you own shares, it almost forces you to stay in touch with not only that stock but its sector as well. Twitter is another great way to get general financial news.

No idea, but there’s lots of moves being made for a massive future. Picking those future US winners will be a money maker someday.

Are the experts still expecting a drop in price following tomorrow's vote? Should I sell CGC now at a 20-25+% profit and then buy back in..........or just wait out the coming wave? Remember, I'm thinking long term......

Are the experts still expecting a drop in price following tomorrow's vote? Should I sell CGC now at a 20-25+% profit and then buy back in..........or just wait out the coming wave? Remember, I'm thinking long term......
Cramer thinks so, telling people to buy Friday. Long term probably means do nothing, possibly add a few shares. I could be wrong, but holding on my 125 shares.

Meh, I'm too chicken. I'll wait.......then buy more if the price drops.
Timing the market not good, you will get plenty of buying opportunities....problem is when the music stops for many of thos companies. CGC probably the safest to own because of its STZ backing.

So the pot stocks are tanking, and the reason being is that once legal all analyst assume the profitability will go way down.

Very stupid really because it will remain profitible and explode the market once the US changes it’s federal laws here.

So let it tank a few days while all the idiots listen to the analyst give them bad advice and buy in.

- To me, anyone that says long term without explaining what they mean is trying to sound like a guru.

Basically I hold a stock as long as I’m comfortable with the profitibilty. Once I feel I’ve made enough if I sell it, then that’s as long of a term as I need.

Sure the idea of buying Disney 60 years ago and being rich now because they held “long term” is great........but there is only about 50 or so companies you can say that about.

So the pot stocks are tanking, and the reason being is that once legal all analyst assume the profitability will go way down.

Very stupid really because it will remain profitible and explode the market once the US changes it’s federal laws here.

So let it tank a few days while all the idiots listen to the analyst give them bad advice and buy in.

- To me, anyone that says long term without explaining what they mean is trying to sound like a guru.

Basically I hold a stock as long as I’m comfortable with the profitibilty. Once I feel I’ve made enough if I sell it, then that’s as long of a term as I need.

Sure the idea of buying Disney 60 years ago and being rich now because they held “long term” is great........but there is only about 50 or so companies you can say that about.

I watched/read several articles yesterday about today's vote. They said that there will be 3 outcomes.
-Pot stocks will skyrocket - which is unlikely because the valuations of several of the companies out there (not named CGC) are too high.
-Stocks will stay about the same
-Stocks will start to tank due to the vote before eventually starting to climb.....probably starting in 2019.

I was wavering on whether or not to sell before the vote....but after reading the articles, I pulled the trigger. Got a nice 20% profit (calculated after taxes).......and now prices are going down. CGC down 4%, ACBFF is down 7%, Tlry down close to 6%, etc.

I'll wait a few days......or a wk, then buy back in.

Exactly, and that’s your media advising the sheep off the cliff. I mentioned this before and the conversation got sideways.

Anyways, let the sheep jump and make that same 20% plus more again.

NBEV is the one I watch the most because if they figure some drinks out Coca Cola is absolutely partnering and they will skyrocket.

Any pot stock that is going to skyrocket(for a real reason) is going to do so based on US changing it’s laws, not Canada.

I’m rambling a bit, but if the TVs keep telling people to jump off the wagon because profitability isn’t sustainable then the sheep will continue to jump and there is no reason to be in that free fall.

Exactly, and that’s your media advising the sheep off the cliff. I mentioned this before and the conversation got sideways.

Anyways, let the sheep jump and make that same 20% plus more again.

NBEV is the one I watch the most because if they figure some drinks out Coca Cola is absolutely partnering and they will skyrocket.

Any pot stock that is going to skyrocket(for a real reason) is going to do so based on US changing it’s laws, not Canada.

I’m rambling a bit, but if the TVs keep telling people to jump off the wagon because profitability isn’t sustainable then the sheep will continue to jump and there is no reason to be in that free fall.

What's interesting to me is that Canada is only the 2nd country in the G20 that has legalized......only Uruguay has done it. Granted we all hope that the US legalizes which will cause stocks to skyrocket......but even the rest of the countries in the G20 will cause it.

Reactions: lz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT