ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

If your buying wait until Nov 5
Great advice. The stock market always reacts negatively to uncertainty, political or otherwise.

My advice? If you're in it for the long haul (not close to retirement), sit down, pour yourself a glass of bourbon, light a cigar, and just let it ride. Have confidence in the near certainty of profits in the long run.

Great advice. The stock market always reacts negatively to uncertainty, political or otherwise.

My advice? If you're in it for the long haul (not close to retirement), sit down, pour yourself a glass of bourbon, light a cigar, and just let it ride. Have confidence in the near certainty of profits in the long run.
Late day should have some serious buys, not sure if the election will help or hurt the market, wish the Chinese would play ball with us on tariffs, that would jack up the markets tremendously, at least until investors sobered.

Honestly, I've always viewed these dips as opportunities. My retirement accounts with Fidelity, TD Ameritrade, Schwab and Vanguard are built with a decent cash reserve for responses. I'm still working on dollar cost averaging into GIS, CTL, PG and RPM with the hefty cash reserve from the BOBE sale earlier this year. 80% of the BOBE sale sits in laddered CDs earmarked for the former 4 issues. I may buy more F and NWL for the TD Ameritrade account.

Veteran investors have seen this movie before. Patience, my fellow gentlemen investors.

Anyone still alive in the weed biz?

Sheesh! I’m going to buy more just to drop the overall price I’ve paid!

The market is oversold on 2019 earnings estimates but I guess they might get revised downward if the trade war stays the same. Pot, consumer staples and software should be fine in theory.

Reactions: AustinTXCat and lz
Anyone still alive in the weed biz?

Sheesh! I’m going to buy more just to drop the overall price I’ve paid!

I am. I turned a 20% profit on CGC prior to Canada's vote......then bought back in ~$42. With it really dropping recently, I'm looking to accumulate more. Along with Aurora and NBEV. I'm looking ahead.....hoping the US legalizes within the next 5-10 yrs.

Also, CGC is doing well globally. They already have connections to 11 different countries....like Germany and Australia. And with the Constellation Brands connection, the logistics to reach other areas gets easier.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4215495-canopy-growth-taking-pot-global

It's all still very risky, but I'm in to a degree.
I accidentally bought 100 extra shares while buying 25 shares last week, of course at a much higher price than now...patience.

Dangit! Keep missing these gigantic moves on beaten up names. FIT today. I should just retire now and do this full time. haha

Reactions: lz
Dangit! Keep missing these gigantic moves on beaten up names. FIT today. I should just retire now and do this full time. haha
James, I’ve done worse with my stock picking in retirement, think I churn more.

Reactions: jameslee32
I dollar cost averaged into NWL on 10/31. Purchased another 100 shares. Currently ahead. Earnings released today. Bounced 14% higher. I'm currently holding 200 shares hoping for a breakout back to $25. Based on analyst recs, it's highly possible. If not, I'll gladly take the nice dividend payout.

Great trade on NWL! Idk if it's an investment after getting pummeled the way it has but if it comes close to filling in the last 2 gaps downward, there's plenty of room to run.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Looks like cloud computing and healthcare stocks are the big winners today...I added cautiously today, UNH, a little ANET, MSFT, but I think the best play is S&P etf VOOG as the dust clears. Lots of mixed reactions by gurus and politicians about defense and infrastructure stocks...I’m confused. One nonelection related stock rising lately (I’ve mentioned befoe) is PETX, ELAN has a relation with them regarding the sale and marketing of Galliprant for dogs, very possible they will buy them soon.

I would like to go in bigger on my positions, then I think of the extended bull, increasing int rates, tariffs, etc, and I think I’ll ride some gridlock momentum toward year end, then possibly sell some things...still nervous about the market moreso than the political posturing going forward. Other thoughts?

I would like to go in bigger on my positions, then I think of the extended bull, increasing int rates, tariffs, etc, and I think I’ll ride some gridlock momentum toward year end, then possibly sell some things...still nervous about the market moreso than the political posturing going forward. Other thoughts?
Heady advice. I think the election provides a tiny bit more certainty and while gridlock can be good for markets, there's still a lot of downside risk. Yet I've added also in October but ready to take more off the table.

Supposedly quarter earnings for companies like CCG come out next wk. Could be a time to buy/sell.

Supposedly quarter earnings for companies like CCG come out next wk. Could be a time to buy/sell.
CGC coming out early Wed morning. I’m pretty spooked about stocks after the wild, post election swings, did put some money to work, so Cash position at 45% and not budging for awhile. If CSCO (Wed) and NVDA (Th) both get whacked, I will do some selling...then, not many more of my stocks reporting their eps until January.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
I think the sell off of CGC after bouncing back was to buy low again and ride back up.

I bought more to bring my cost down from $42 a share to $39 a share. Started to get froggy once it hit $33 but buying more allowed me to be patient.

NBEV is the stock I worry about. It really should t be tied to pot stocks but it reacts in the same manner as the pot stocks.

CBD infused drinks are coming within the next year!

CGC coming out early Wed morning. I’m pretty spooked about stocks after the wild, post election swings, did put some money to work, so Cash position at 45% and not budging for awhile. If CSCO (Wed) and NVDA (Th) both get whacked, I will do some selling...then, not many more of my stocks reporting their eps until January.
CSCO is one of my faves. Cheap growth stock. Nice play on security also.

I should have never bought any semi's this year. Idk how can they still be cyclical with the number of chips in everything we buy but I didn't anticipate a prolonged trade war with China.

I should have never bought any semi's this year. Idk how can they still be cyclical with the number of chips in everything we buy but I didn't anticipate a prolonged trade war with China.
That’s the truth!

I’m going to quickly sell ANET and get the more stable CSCO, held it several years ago but lost patience.

Reactions: jameslee32
My late 30s nephew just got into the stock market, helped him set up his account and he’s going crazy, doing pretty good trading, considering it’s a terrible time for a beginner, IMO. I’m trying to get him through the mental hurdle of selling losers at times, some people never get past it, opportunity costs lost for long periods of time.

My late 30s nephew just got into the stock market, helped him set up his account and he’s going crazy, doing pretty good trading, considering it’s a terrible time for a beginner, IMO. I’m trying to get him through the mental hurdle of selling losers at times, some people never get past it, opportunity costs lost for long periods of time.

A recent billionaire market guy predicts a bear market within the next 2 yrs. So, you're right, it's not a stellar time to start. But, starting "now" is way better than starting "later"......always is.

ADVERTISEMENT