ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

The narrative changes constantly. This week because of the rise in the Russell 2000, some suggest the entire market will broaden. Not sure that's the case excpet maybe for technology if AI is to be a dominant player in need of tech infrastructure. Often these times prove to keep doing what your doing that works, buy stocks on sale and take profits when you get them. That's my .02 worth.
Indeed, anything going up seems to get sold fairly soon. My two R/E hot ones cooled today, same happened to Energy, AI and Tech stocks recently. Maybe it’s close to getting dangerous in the Market, not necessarily from high PEs, either.
I suppose another strategy is holding a few high div stocks despite slow market returns possibly ahead like F and CEIX, along with Money Mkt funds paying around 5% interest.

Reactions: jameslee32
I took up swing trading a while back and things are going great right now. The S&P is above all the moving averages which means we're in bull market territory, that's further confirmed by the relative strength indicator (RSI) above the 70 mark which signals an over bought condition (but doesn't mean the market will retreat immediately). I'm fully exposed right now but have standing close stop orders on everything in case we get the historic June downturn.

On my day-trading account …

Took advantage of the recent AI FOMO and recently bought C3 AI at $16 and sold for $48 yesterday. It’s a stock that pretty much traded on its stock ticker name … glad to unload it.

Bought Carvana at $3.7 first of the year and it hit $28+ today … crazy.

Problem is, I didn’t own enough to get as much out of it as I should have …arrgghh.

Previously bought a fairly small position on about 50 small caps that I bought at their lows … up between 400% and 50% on each … gonna let most of them run awhile and see what happens. Most of these have been so beaten down the charts still barely show an uptick.

Reactions: jameslee32
I just purchased WBA this morning at $28.24 on a guidance downgrade, They have increased their dividend for forty-seven (47) consecutive years, which I hope will continue. We'll see ...

Reactions: rbs
I just purchased WBA this morning at $28.24 on a guidance downgrade, They have increased their dividend for forty-seven (47) consecutive years, which I hope will continue. We'll see ...
It has been trading terrible, but the dividend is good ... and the dip seemed a bit excessive today. As you say, we'll see ...

Reactions: megablue
I"m holding all the FANGs except googl and also holding Tesla, and Lennar - the home builders have been on fire. Swing trading a lot of other things.

IMO the market is currently in a period of consolidation, that could continue for a few days weeks or more and then we will likely see a pop up unless we get unexpected doom and gloom from the Fed.

For all you experienced traders, what do you consider is a good percentage of return on your portfolio?

For all you experienced traders, what do you consider is a good percentage of return on your portfolio?
Depends on the market. I managed to make about 15% first 6 months of 2023 but I only had 25% of my portfolio at risk which I'll take. Right now the market is on fire. I think in a bull market 20-35% annual is a fair return, in a sideways or Bear market 5%+

Rule #1 Don't lose money

Reactions: Chuckinden
D is pretty advanced in investing. On average 7-8% is pretty good, imo, some years I’ve been down a lot, a few years over 20%.

Ok, whatever, complimenting you. If the poster is new to stocks, I was just giving my 33 years worth of good, bad, ugly. I still enjoy investing.
I think your figure is the annualized return for the history of US markets so I was thinking anything over 7-8% is a good return for a longer term investment. Basically I agree.

I'm thinking the S&P 500 is a slightly greater return since inception but also a much newer instrument. Also figure greater returns when reinvesting dividends.

Reactions: lz
Ok, whatever, complimenting you. If the poster is new to stocks, I was just giving my 33 years worth of good, bad, ugly. I still enjoy investing.
I've been a small time investor/trader (dabbler)for over a couple years now. I only have around $20k in the stock market now and have averaged around a 12% gain as of today. I'm not complaining. To me that's pretty good compared to other instruments I have over a 2-3 yr period. For instance, I have approximately $200K in an online savings account that is currently paying me 5.02%. That pays me over $800 per month. If I was more savvy and not so much of a chickenshit, I would take a lot of that and put in the stock market.

My largest gains over this period of time have come from AAPL and AMKR at 17.85% and 30.45% respectively. I don't read enough or have a large enough stake to do what I need to do to try and grow the investment further. I'm not losing money and probably too quick to dump a stock if it loses over 15%.

Also, I have nearly $15K that I let Fidelity manage for me. It shows it's gained 9.01% over the last year, but I send them $500 a month to invest and that return % gain probably includes the amount I'm sending.

I DVR "Fast Money Halftime Report" on CNBC daily and pick up some good tips here and there, but lots of times their analysis is way over my head when it comes to evaluating stock.

I read this thread almost daily and listen to many of you that have been doing it for decades.

I appreciate all of you guys for what I have learned so far.

Reactions: jameslee32 and lz
My day trading account, which I direct/make all investments in, and is only about 10% of my total portfolio is up about 40% YTD, and I made a bunch of bone-headed mistakes even with that return. Don't get many opportunities to get returns like that.

Unfortunately, that was just 10% of the full account ... the rest of my account which is invested by my advisor was way too conservatively invested to start the year - and they didn't adjust anything - so that's only up about 7% ... not happy about that at all and we have talked about that last month. Lot of opportunity lost the 1st 6 months of the year.

That all said, I would probably take an annualized 7+% return year after year.

I've been a small time investor/trader (dabbler)for over a couple years now. I only have around $20k in the stock market now and have averaged around a 12% gain as of today. I'm not complaining. To me that's pretty good compared to other instruments I have over a 2-3 yr period. For instance, I have approximately $200K in an online savings account that is currently paying me 5.02%. That pays me over $800 per month. If I was more savvy and not so much of a chickenshit, I would take a lot of that and put in the stock market.

My largest gains over this period of time have come from AAPL and AMKR at 17.85% and 30.45% respectively. I don't read enough or have a large enough stake to do what I need to do to try and grow the investment further. I'm not losing money and probably too quick to dump a stock if it loses over 15%.

Also, I have nearly $15K that I let Fidelity manage for me. It shows it's gained 9.01% over the last year, but I send them $500 a month to invest and that return % gain probably includes the amount I'm sending.

I DVR "Fast Money Halftime Report" on CNBC daily and pick up some good tips here and there, but lots of times their analysis is way over my head when it comes to evaluating stock.

I read this thread almost daily and listen to many of you that have been doing it for decades.

I appreciate all of you guys for what I have learned so far.
Sounds like you’re off to a good start, the high interest rates makes all of us look pretty good with sitting Cash right now, a safety measure luxury we investors haven’t had in many years.
Most of us kick ourselves for lack of patience after the fact, it’s difficult to stay with stocks in years when nothing seemingly goes up, you will eventually experience those times.

Reactions: Chuckinden
Up 42% yesterday on huge volume, what will SIRI do now ?? Is it the next meme stock ??
Not one of my picks, can’t comment, my stocks down this week after a great run this summer.

Not one of my picks, can’t comment, my stocks down this week after a great run this summer.
SIRI is Really giving it back today. Many articles and theses out there about what is happening...ala short squeeze. ?????

ETRN .... USSC is expected to rule today/tomorrow on whether 4th District Federal Court has jurisdiction to hold up final construction of the Mountain Valley Pipeline. ETRN should see double-digits, if USSC rules against 4th District. Stay tuned.

Reactions: TXCatFBFan and lz
Second quarter GDP revised upward to 2.4%. Mike Wilson capitulated after 2 years as a roaring bear and after the Fed rate hike, the DJIA winning streak continued yesterday. Looking good unless something unexpected happens.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
ETRN .... USSC is expected to rule today/tomorrow on whether 4th District Federal Court has jurisdiction to hold up final construction of the Mountain Valley Pipeline. ETRN should see double-digits, if USSC rules against 4th District. Stay tuned.
Got your wish, now the timing?

Got your wish, now the timing?
MVP should be completed by end of 2023.
It is contracted out at 100% for 20 years.
Increased cashflow will be split between debt repayment and increased dividends.
Many project $1.25-$1.75 annual dividend rate by the end of 2025. SP should increase, accordingly, of course. Besides CLF, ETRN is my biggest holding. We'll see ...

ETRN set a 52WH today .... !!

Last edited:
Reactions: lz
ROKU....to the moon! Big move up on earnings on Friday, but this was a $500 stock just one year ago. I think there is some room to run here.

How much of any one stock as % of your portfolio do you feel comfortable owning?

I have almost 19% in one stock across all investments. Getting a little nervous as it seems a bit overvalued. I have trailing stops on some of it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT