ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

We've been in a recession for about a year and a half and the powers that be have managed to prevent its acknowledgement, which is odd.

It is what it is.
We were in recession 1st 6 months of 2022. (2 consecutive quarters with shrinking GDP.) 2% annual growth, though, for the entire year. NEBR is the body that "calls" recessions. Nothing prevented its acknowledgement.

Not a great last 3+ years of investing for me, did get to celebrate my 40 sh of NVDA, 10 sh ASML today. Ain’t selling them, either.;)
Feel the same way about some of my tech. AAPL, KLAC, AVGO, MSFT, META etc and much less NVDA. TTWO is bouncing back this year as well but not a pure play. I'd probably only sell META at this point.

Reactions: lz
Feel the same way about some of my tech. AAPL, KLAC, AVGO, MSFT, META etc and much less NVDA. TTWO is bouncing back this year as well but not a pure play. I'd probably only sell META at this point.
I own some META, too, down on it?

Sold some MSFT yesterday as it turns out. Playing with house money in all the rest minus TTWO. Also sold some CSCO today in the taxable account.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Due diligence is warranted and advised, as always, but you might take a look at ETRN, based on these press releases issued yesterday and this morning (05/29/23), as the MPV has been a long time coming. ETRN closed at $6.09 Friday, up for the week, and it will be interesting to see how it trades tomorrow ... be sure to note the current dividend rate and how most analysts feel it will be impacted (increased) when the pipeline is completed and opened ...

Anyone looking for high yield and the potential for capital gains, might take a look at Preferred Stocks during this high interest rate period. Most online brokerage websites have stock screeners that will facilitate your search, if curious. I have invested in several REIT preferred stocks (nonconvertible-cumulative-callable) that are yielding between 8.07%-9.13% on my cost, with possible capital gains of 40.54% to 81.42%, if called. with first call dates that are middle-to-late 2026. The symbols for my shares are in bold. Share prices should increase if/when interest rates decline in the future, of course. There are many various preferred stocks that will populate your screenings, but here are a few REIT preferred stocks that might be of interest: ABR-PD, ABR-PE, VNO-PL, VNO-PM, VNO-PN, VNO-P0 and SLG-PI.
I want to emphasize that due diligence is required, of course ... GLTA !!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: lz and AustinTXCat
ETRN up 50% so far this AM. Well played.
Thanks. I've owned it for quite a while and have assumed the MPV will get finished and ETRN should be well-situated for earnings predictability and dividends. My cost is $6.71, so it's nice to be above water now. The stock is 92% owned by institutions, so the buying fever is concentrated today. I suspect it will recede some, with profit-taking, but I believe it will move into a new trading range. I just hope the pipeline gets approved and completed soon, but there are no guarantees, of course. I bought ETRN to hold for dividend income in retirement. GLTY !!

Definitely NOT a current buy recommendation, but a cyclical stock that might be worth putting on a watchlist is CLF. It is a large steel producer, headquartered in Cleveland, and sells roughly 40% of its product to auto manufacturers. When recession fears subside, interest rates begin to stabilize (if not head lower), inflation recedes, the economy wakes up and new car sales accelerate, CLF might be something to seriously consider. It does not pay a dividend, unfortunately. When the steel industry rebounds, so will CLF. Due diligence is warranted, as always.

Last edited:
Recent TD Ameritrade to Schwab migration. Your thoughts?

I miss the old interface.
Me too! Not liking the program much at all. Change can be good just not this time so far.

Austin. If you are looking for an under a dollar stock...SENS is gong to rip higher any day now. You can thank me later.

Recent TD Ameritrade to Schwab migration. Your thoughts?

I miss the old interface.
I like it better than all the others I've used so far. Plus all my bank connections and orders migrated over. One feature I love is easily resubmitting expired orders. Still learning it all though.

I agree!
Bad news about my go to ETF broker over the years, VanGuard, and others….
Woke corporate governance often stems from involved investment firms: Former Anheuser-Busch exec

https://www.foxnews.com/media/woke-...d-investment-firms-former-anheuser-busch-exec
Really hoping to avoid the W word in this thread. 🤣
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u4.jpg

7-day yield on Schwab Value Advantage Money Fund® Investor Shares (SWVXX): 4.9225%.

I can live with it. Comparatively speaking

Fidelity (SPRXX): 4.79%

VANGUARD CASH RESERVES FEDL MONEY MARKET ADMIRAL CL (VMRXX): 5.05%

I must admit I did not realize the home market has gone up nicely this year, bought GRBK solely because Einhorn recommended it, stock has doubled YTD, PE still low. Asked around where I live and yes, prices have jumped locally, I must be dumb. However, I’m too old to sell and nothing is available that I would want or could afford, but I can buy a stock or two in that sector, EXPI also looks interesting.

Reactions: jameslee32
Me too! Not liking the program much at all. Change can be good just not this time so far.

Austin. If you are looking for an under a dollar stock...SENS is gong to rip higher any day now. You can thank me later.
Glucose monitoring, huh, will watch?

I must admit I did not realize the home market has gone up nicely this year, bought GRBK solely because Einhorn recommended it, stock has doubled YTD, PE still low. Asked around where I live and yes, prices have jumped locally, I must be dumb. However, I’m too old to sell and nothing is available that I would want or could afford, but I can buy a stock or two in that sector, EXPI also looks interesting.
Hey Austin, GRBK is a Texas company probably near your part of the world?

I've missed all the homebuilders and only play real estate thru REITS. Only PLD has worked this year so far while the others have dividend yields that are growing. IIPR comes to mind up over 10% as I wait.

Last edited:
Been dabbling in T-bills this year in my wife's IRA which ironically has been my riskiest IRA. Up to over 8% of the account in the 4-month with a 5.35% YTM. Never knew the feds sold a 4-month T-bill until I became a buyer.

Reactions: lz and AustinTXCat
EXPI zoomed way up today after entering the S&P Small Cap Index. So, I lucked into two good ones in a sector I rarely enter, real estate. However, AI and Tech have quit going up, oil related and small caps next to top out?

Bought some $S earlier this week on the after earnings dip. Know the space, so I’m pretty knowledgeable of their technology

If the market is going to continue to rise, what sector(s) do we see rotation into next? Healthcare seems to have been on a break and a lot of small caps are still down big. What say ye? Where do you see the market going the last half of CY2023.

If the market is going to continue to rise, what sector(s) do we see rotation into next? Healthcare seems to have been on a break and a lot of small caps are still down big. What say ye? Where do you see the market going the last half of CY2023.
My guess is back in biotech. Moderna looks interesting here, IMO. Boat load is cash and plenty of drugs in the pipeline.

The narrative changes constantly. This week because of the rise in the Russell 2000, some suggest the entire market will broaden. Not sure that's the case excpet maybe for technology if AI is to be a dominant player in need of tech infrastructure. Often these times prove to keep doing what your doing that works, buy stocks on sale and take profits when you get them. That's my .02 worth.

The narrative changes constantly. This week because of the rise in the Russell 2000, some suggest the entire market will broaden. Not sure that's the case excpet maybe for technology if AI is to be a dominant player in need of tech infrastructure. Often these times prove to keep doing what you’re doing that works, buy stocks on sale and take profits when you get them. That's my .02 worth.
I agree it is constantly changing …. thus making individual equities as long term holds much more difficult to do.

The old days of buying and holding don’t generally work unless you are buying something generic like a mutual fund … and with the massive increase in day traders the last 3 years, it forces a lot of investors into constant movement of funds which can be stressful and time-consuming.

At any rate, I got off topic there for a bit :), I do think healthcare and selected small caps might hav.e some upside the next month. After that, it’ll be something different … perhaps back to tech if it corrects a bit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT