ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

The Board of Directors of United States Steel Corporation (X) was scheduled to meet over the weekend to decide on whether to accept a buy-out offer. There are several offers on the table. Many people seem to think that Cleveland-Cliffs, Inc. (CLF) will be the acquirer, but we'll see. If so, CLF might be a good long-term prospect worth looking into. I suspect news and/or an update will be released tomorrow ... GLTA !!
Yep ... bought both earlier this year on dips ... both up nice for the YTD. W

The Board of Directors of United States Steel Corporation (X) was scheduled to meet over the weekend to decide on whether to accept a buy-out offer. There are several offers on the table. Many people seem to think that Cleveland-Cliffs, Inc. (CLF) will be the acquirer, but we'll see. If so, CLF might be a good long-term prospect worth looking into. I suspect news and/or an update will be released tomorrow ... GLTA !!
Any thoughts on ZEUS?

Been a seller lately of VTI, V, MP, PXD etc. with plenty of orders to sell more for tax losses and locking in gains. Still buying treasuries, 6 months and 2 months most recently.

Well ... this is a surprise ... to me, at least.

• Wow
Reactions: AustinTXCat
Any predictions for individual stocks in 2024 ??
Good question, I went strongly for Money Mkt returns…nice, but another bad move for 2023, so I suck.
What sectors do you and others like?
Election years are usually very good, incumbent doing everything possible to push the market higher, but SO Many geopolitical risks-two wars, China getting closer yearly to attacking Taiwan, N Korea “thinks” it’s ready to fight somebody, etc.

Good question, I went strongly for Money Mkt returns…nice, but another bad move for 2023, so I suck.
What sectors do you and others like?
Election years are usually very good, incumbent doing everything possible to push the market higher, but SO Many geopolitical risks-two wars, China getting closer yearly to attacking Taiwan, N Korea “thinks” it’s ready to fight somebody, etc.
I would like some ideas about what folks have regarding trying to participate in the worldwide AI revolution, both short-term and long-term. We all know what investments in AAPL, AMZN and MSFT would’ve done for us, had we gotten in at the very outset. So … what do folks think about AI, prudently ??? AI ETF funds, maybe ???

Last edited:
I would like to some ideas about what folks have regarding trying to participate in the worldwide AI revolution, both short-term and long-term. We all know what investments in AAPL, AMZN and MFST would’ve done for us, had we gotten in at the very outset. So … what do folks think about AI, prudently ??? AI ETF funds, maybe ???
“Mine” some and let us know, very speculative, but very lucrative if an investor spots those with a great future- ain’t easy!

“Mine” some and let us know, very speculative, but very lucrative if an investor spots those with a great future- ain’t easy!
I’m too old to “mine” … but could see investing in an ETF fund … !!

i am anticipating that the market may chop for awhile. I have about 15% cash at the moment in the event of a potential 1st-2nd Q correction.

I previously added some dividend payers when the rates peaked and those stocks bottomed. Those stocks are now up nicely now and still paying a healthy dividend better than treasuries/bonds can provide.. It may be a bit boring, but should provide modest gains in a choppy market.

That said, I think there is money to be made in small caps in 2024, but you have to pick the right ones obviously. Same is true for healthcare if you can pick the right ones, or just take XLV and get a modest return.

Reactions: lz and megablue
i am anticipating that the market may chop for awhile. I have about 15% cash at the moment in the event of a potential 1st-2nd Q correction.

I previously added some dividend payers when the rates peaked and those stocks bottomed. Those stocks are now up nicely now and still paying a healthy dividend better than treasuries/bonds can provide.. It may be a bit boring, but should provide modest gains in a choppy market.

That said, I think there is money to be made in small caps in 2024, but you have to pick the right ones obviously. Same is true for healthcare if you can pick the right ones, or just take XLV and get a modest return.
How do you feel about REIT Preferred stocks ?? Nice yield, with capital gain potential when called after rates drop.
ABR-PD, ABR-PE and VNO-PO come to mind.

Lower interest rates are good for small companies, REITs and dividend paying stocks so I would anticipate these doing well at least in the first half. I would expect healthcare stocks to rebound as well but in an election year the drug stocks might struggle. I would actually be in favor of that in order to add to LLY, ABBV and NVO.

Reactions: DSmith21 and rbs
I would expect healthcare stocks to rebound as well but in an election year the drug stocks might struggle. I would actually be in favor of that in order to add to LLY, ABBV and NVO.
I am hoping for a pullback in Amgen. Their obesity drug will debut in late 2024. It is a once a month shot vs the weekly shot for the current GLP-1's. It still trades for a reasonable multiple and offers a 3% dividend.

Lower interest rates are good for small companies, REITs and dividend paying stocks so I would anticipate these doing well at least in the first half. I would expect healthcare stocks to rebound as well but in an election year the drug stocks might struggle. I would actually be in favor of that in order to add to LLY, ABBV and NVO.
DEFINITELY do your homework, but based on your sentiment, you might take a hard look at MPW (healthcare REIT). It has been brutalized by shorts and has had a MAJOR cut in the dividend … but there may be potential for great gains in its recovery. Due diligence is required, as always. GLTY and to ALL in 2024 !!!

DEFINITELY do your homework, but based on your sentiment, you might take a hard look at MPW. It has been brutalized by shorts and has had a MAJOR cut in the dividend … but there may be potential for great gains in its recovery. Due diligence is required, as always. GLTY and to ALL in 2024 !!!
<--- own 324 shares MPW. Yes, hit hard by shorts. Huge dividend cut. Expecting a rebound later this year.

Reactions: megablue
<--- own 324 shares MPW. Yes, hit hard by shorts. Huge dividend cut. Expecting a rebound later this year.
I am retired and rely on dividends for income. I have almost 30% of my portfolio in REITS. Because of great buy-ins on VNO, BDN and SLG, my total REIT group of 13 holdings ended up for the year. I have a large position in MPW and it ended down very substantially for the year. Hoping for a rebound and healthy recovery in MPW. GL to both of us … !!

Last edited:
DEFINITELY do your homework, but based on your sentiment, you might take a hard look at MPW (healthcare REIT). It has been brutalized by shorts and has had a MAJOR cut in the dividend … but there may be potential for great gains in its recovery. Due diligence is required, as always. GLTY and to ALL in 2024 !!!
I would be more inclined to sell after a major dividend cut but being this is a REIT makes it even more odd. It's still over 17% which seems crazy difficult to maintain from a cash flow perspective.

Lots of economists and analysts suggesting the ugliest market drop ever seen is coming. It's always been the case, but lots of blinking lights lately. I'm half in and half out of the market. If it goes way up, I lock in gains and if it goes way down I shamelessly steal shares of blue chips.

• Haha
Reactions: jameslee32
MPW was crushed this week … so much so, I gave it a look … swing traded it for a 5%+/- intraday trade … got a watch on it to see if there is a longer investment opportunity

MPW was crushed this week … so much so, I gave it a look … swing traded it for a 5%+/- intraday trade … got a watch on it to see if there is a longer investment opportunity
Yes … yesterday was absolutely brutal.
I may be buying a falling knife, but I bought another 1900 shares @ $3.60.
I’ll know in a couple of years, I guess, whether I made the right move.

Well, they’re definitely not gonna be paying their dividend at 25%

I just checked. Own 338.2331 shares of MPW. Shares held in a taxable account.

Bought into the Motley Fool hype over past few years. Let's see what happens next week. I may just sell and take the hit.

Reactions: Deeeefense
Well, they’re definitely not gonna be paying their dividend at 25%
I agree. I assume they may totally suspend it, like VNO did this year, and go to an annual dividend at end of the year. Whatever it takes to get healthy is what I suspect they will be forced to do. We’ll see …

After the 3-day rule, started a very small position in MPW at $3.3 ... up 10+% on the bounce today. Set a stop loss on it if/when it drops back down.

As a consumer, I prefer my current well used hybrid Prius, but Ky and west Tn, where I retired, have Ford EV plants being constructed with lots of new jobs planned. We‘ve heard nothing about the future locally but I wonder if a change from manufacturing EVs to hybrids will occur in this part of the country.

American car buyers have cooled on EVs, balking at the high prices and a spotty charging infrastructure. Ford has responded by repeatedly cutting production of the F-150 Lightning, its signature EV, and the Mustang Mach-E it builds in Mexico. The automaker also downsized by nearly half a battery plant it is building in Michigan and is delaying plans for a battery plant in Kentucky as it pushes back $12 billion in planned spending on electric vehicles.

Sold FITE this week. Also sold some JPM, ABBV, VT and more VTI recently near all-time highs. Added to ALB and bought PANW a couple times within the last month.

The MVP is scheduled to be completed by April, so you might take a look at ETRN.
Buyout talk and rumors abound. Due diligence and homework are advised, as always. GLTA !!

Last edited:
Anyone that plays the short game should keep an eye on Disney if the current board fight fails. The stock price is up because of money pouring in to try to take board seats and Iger trying to keep his people there. If they keep Peltz out and his side pulls out their investment then the price is going to crater.

• Wow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT