ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

She is definitely a leader. Almost too much!
She can do it, then, just has to be patient, mature and classy about it, keep adding to her degrees. She prefers the middle school level kids over HS kids, she was not a party girl, nor naive, just competitive, extremely organized and sweet/tough enough.

I have a couple accounts with Wells Fargo. 2 are IRAs, 1 is Roth-IRA. These were acquired from the Strong Funds. Now a 1% front-end load exists. I'm looking at moving those accounts over to Fidelity or Vanguard soon.
Have accounts in both. My niece works for Fidelity. No Uncle discount. :cry:

No history yet as they just opened but you might want to look into FZROX and FZILX. I'm keeping tabs on them because I believe they are the first no-fee index funds in the space. Once I discover what they hold I may dabble in them with an IRA or Fidelity brokerage account.

Look for Vanguard and Schwab to match. Vanguard currently lowers fees when you meet their account thresholds.

Reactions: AustinTXCat

No history yet as they just opened but you might want to look into FZROX and FZILX. I'm keeping tabs on them because I believe they are the first no-fee index funds in the space. Once I discover what they hold I may dabble in them with an IRA or Fidelity brokerage account.

Look for Vanguard and Schwab to match. Vanguard currently lowers fees when you meet their account thresholds.
Heard about those new Fidelity funds. Definitely diversifying a little into the international fund.

Reactions: jameslee32
That sounds exactly like mine too.
Encourage her, that’s the way to go in education if she can handle the stress. Peers will be jealous, parents will be unhappy at times, have to deal with it. I even had to deal one time with a parent while teaching college, welcomed him with his son into my office, listened, then calmly asked him if his son told him that he wasn’t listening in class, constantly talking to a female sitting beside him....end of complaint about his grade.:sunglasses:

Apple is still undervalued and a good buy at these levels.
AAPL is now more of a value play than growth, sold my last 25 sh this week, bought a little BRK.B, since Buffet holds a lot of AAPL stock within it and he has been buying back his stock....usually doesn’t excite me except when he and Charlie Munger do that!

Reactions: AustinTXCat
I have JPM as well. Has beaten the market for the past yr and a half, at least. Jamie Dimon knows what he's doing.

Other money trading hands stocks I like are SQ, PYPL, V and MA. (Square, Paypal, Visa and MasterCard) All market beaters for the past 2 to 3 years.

The war on cash is real.
Very satisfied with V. Might be my biggest winner ever.

Question about some stock I have been selling to put my daughter through college.

I’ve had the JPM for about 34 years and was always going to use it for that reason or an unseen medical emergency.

The taxes are eating me up at the end of the year by selling it! Suggestions?
Don't fear the tax man is my motto. Taxes are lower than they were years ago.

Reactions: AustinTXCat and lz
Encourage her, that’s the way to go in education if she can handle the stress. Peers will be jealous, parents will be unhappy at times, have to deal with it. I even had to deal one time with a parent while teaching college, welcomed him with his son into my office, listened, then calmly asked him if his son told him that he wasn’t listening in class, constantly talking to a female sitting beside him....end of complaint about his grade.:sunglasses:

She is a manager of the child care at a workout place. Having to deal with all the younger girls and schedules has made her more in tune with what she will encounter. I hope!

Reactions: lz
AAPL is now more of a value play than growth, sold my last 25 sh this week, bought a little BRK.B, since Buffet holds a lot of AAPL stock within it and he has been buying back his stock....usually doesn’t excite me except when he and Charlie Munger do that!
That's what analysts have been saying for 3-4 years now. And they've been wrong. I'm personally fine with it being a value play as more shares will be bought back quicker. As long as they keep buying shares back it will hit $1500 to $2000 within 10-15 years.*

*Assuming they do have new products coming out and I don't see why they wouldn't.

That's what analysts have been saying for 3-4 years now. And they've been wrong. I'm personally fine with it being a value play as more shares will be bought back quicker. As long as they keep buying shares back it will hit $1500 to $2000 within 10-15 years.*

*Assuming they do have new products coming out and I don't see why they wouldn't.
Ok, have you compared their 2 year, 1 year and 6 months’ return with other stocks? It got near the bottom in my 24 holdings, solid company but I prefer other options right now....nothing to keep me from going back into it later or FDX or WMT or AMGN or other stars I used to hold.

Ok, have you compared their 2 year, 1 year and 6 months’ return with other stocks? It got near the bottom in my 24 holdings, solid company but I prefer other options right now....nothing to keep me from going back into it later or FDX or WMT or AMGN or other stars I used to hold.
If one of your bottom stocks doubled over a 2 year period then you must be doing pretty damn good.

Reactions: BlueThruAndThru

Looking forward to more service revenues and customer loyalty as I have it in my wife's IRA. No plans to sell. We're up 40%+ even where we got in, in the low $140's.

If one of your bottom stocks doubled over a 2 year period then you must be doing pretty damn good.
My trigger finger gets twitchy in retirement, hard for me to hold things longer than about 16 months maximum, but each person has to do their own investing thing. The tariff uncertainties, bull market long in the tooth and upcoming election are spooky, still 50% invested.

Reactions: UK_Dallas
I don’t know how many of you experienced the dot com days, exciting and perhaps a one-of-a-kind time frame, but crazy, stocks going straight up, “experts” on CNBC didn’t know how to value them, most top investing gurus wouldn’t touch them, inexperienced investors like me at the time didn’t know when to sell them, then it all finally fell apart. My taxable portfolio jumped from about $80,000 to $300,000 in a few short years, but I held too long. Two or three ten baggers fell to four baggers before I sold...Cisco, Lexmark, Lucent Technology were a few I remember.

I don’t know how many of you experienced the dot com days, exciting and perhaps a one-of-a-kind time frame, but crazy, stocks going straight up, “experts” on CNBC didn’t know how to value them, most top investing gurus wouldn’t touch them, inexperienced investors like me at the time didn’t know when to sell them, then it all finally fell apart. My taxable portfolio jumped from about $80,000 to $300,000 in a few short years, but I held too long. Two or three ten baggers fell to four baggers before I sold...Cisco, Lexmark, Lucent Technology were a few I remember.
Great times. I'd just remarried in summer, 1998. Wife tried convincing me to buy eBay after the IPO and I blew her off. Austin was known as "Silicon Hills" back then. Had a DRiP called Keithley Instruments. It appreciated from $1,800 to $16,000. I purchased my new pickup truck with the profits. Wife and I averaged over $100K per year selling on eBay in 1999 and 2000.

An amazing era. Austin was not at ground-zero for dot bomb, but was close. We really felt the effects when many local internet companies laid folks off and sold inventory.

Reactions: jameslee32 and lz
Was able to get in on one of the dot com IPO's. My sister worked for Hot Jobs and my dad, uncle and I were able to get 500 shares for $7 each. We really thought it was going to blow up based on what some of the other IPO's had been doing for more than a year. Unfortunately for us it was on the backend of the boom. We did ok, all sold for around 20 before Yahoo purchased them, but we had stars in our eyes initially.

Reactions: AustinTXCat and lz
I never hear people talking about 3 or 4 baggers anymore, much less 10 baggers that seemed so easy back then, could buy just about any mutual fund and do pretty well, too, many went out of business.

^ Have a position in FNMA and FMCC that I'm hoping against hope will be a 50-100 bagger. In reality it has a chance to be a 4-5 bagger but I'm holding out hope.

Been there done that. My advisor who sold me 3 technology mutual funds in an IRA, never attempted to contact me during the crash of 2000. The novice that I was watched my IRA drop 70%. Not only that, her firm was caught up in a frequent trading of mutual funds scandal, Bank One. I left after recovering 25% or so. She had the audacity to try to convince me that everyone did it and that I should stay.

I pick my own securities now. The money I rolled over from Bank One has more than tripled in about 16 years.

Reactions: lz and AustinTXCat
^ Have a position in FNMA and FMCC that I'm hoping against hope will be a 50-100 bagger. In reality it has a chance to be a 4-5 bagger but I'm holding out hope.
Those stocks used to make people money, that I remember.

Been there done that. My advisor who sold me 3 technology mutual funds in an IRA, never attempted to contact me during the crash of 2000. The novice that I was watched my IRA drop 70%. Not only that, her firm was caught up in a frequent trading of mutual funds scandal, Bank One. I left after recovering 25% or so. She had the audacity to try to convince me that everyone did it and that I should stay.

I pick my own securities now. The money I rolled over from Bank One has more than tripled in about 16 years.
That’s terrible, I had rather do my own thing, too, though I seem to have lost my touch the last few years after a nice run for 15-20 years. My approach for my wife’s IRA has beaten my own, much less churning of stocks, but putting her in AMZN at $1,155 per share (I thought that price was crazy high) a few years ago didn’t hurt.

Those stocks used to make people money, that I remember.
Yep. They have been in conservatorship for 10 years now. They are in limbo basically. If released as is they would be $150+(100 bagger). That has about a .00001% chance of happening though.

Yep. They have been in conservatorship for 10 years now. They are in limbo basically. If released as is they would be $150+(100 bagger). That has about a .00001% chance of happening though.
Keep us posted. BTW, Eli Lilly has a spin off IPO soon of ELAN, another pet medical care company, most of these companies have done well, ZTS, a good example, others who have had good runs are IDXX and KIN, which has risen well as its first animal drug went to market this past Qtr, another drug nearing approval, their EPS report this week

Still rocking this stupid ban.

But I saw this news about lowering fees, and with the surge into low expense ration Index Funds.. my question becomes, how are these firms getting paid? Surely, they aren't losing money and giving up their summer vacation homes. How can places like Vanguard, Fidelity and Schwab keep racing towards the bottom?

Reactions: Get Bucket$

But I saw this news about lowering fees, and with the surge into low expense ration Index Funds.. my question becomes, how are these firms getting paid? Surely, they aren't losing money and giving up their summer vacation homes. How can places like Vanguard, Fidelity and Schwab keep racing towards the bottom?
I’m sure they still have rich clients wanting advisement and paying big fees, plus most clients aren’t 100% invested, I assume they can use the cash parked in their money market account to do some conservative, profitable investing of their own.

Made a little speculative bet on Sonos (SONO) this week. They make arguably the best wireless smart speakers and soundbars on the market (according to Consumer Reports and others). They claim to have more patents than any tech outfit except Apple. It just went public last week at $15 and is currently trading around $18.20. I have one of their speakers and it is excellent.

Edit: FWIW, Jim Cramer reviewed the stock last night. He said that he owns and loves the product but probably wouldn't own the stock right now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/02/sonos-sono-ipo-stock-starts-trading-on-the-nasdaq.html

Last edited:
Something I've also noticed.

The Stock Market Is Shrinking. That’s a Problem for Everyone.

When I say “shrinking,” I’m using a specific definition: the reduction in the number of publicly traded companies on exchanges in the United States. In the mid-1990s, there were more than 8,000 of them. By 2016, there were only 3,627, according to data from the Center for Research in Security Prices at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business....

Brokerage services I suppose. Commissions mostly I'd say. Don't own any of them and volume is down lately but it's a great business historically. A good time to hold your money with interest rates rising also.

Something I've also noticed.

The Stock Market Is Shrinking. That’s a Problem for Everyone.

When I say “shrinking,” I’m using a specific definition: the reduction in the number of publicly traded companies on exchanges in the United States. In the mid-1990s, there were more than 8,000 of them. By 2016, there were only 3,627, according to data from the Center for Research in Security Prices at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business....

M&A Austin

Made a little speculative bet on Sonos (SONO) this week. They make arguably the best wireless smart speakers and soundbars on the market (according to Consumer Reports and others). They claim to have more patents than any tech outfit except Apple. It just went public last week at $15 and is currently trading around $18.20. I have one of their speakers and it is excellent.

Edit: FWIW, Jim Cramer reviewed the stock last night. He said that he owns and loves the product but probably wouldn't own the stock right now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/02/sonos-sono-ipo-stock-starts-trading-on-the-nasdaq.html

Yeah...had my eyes on this for a bit and watching it go South today. Trying to determine when is the best time to buy. $15-$16 range makes sense. Thoughts.

Please don't listen to Cramer.

Yeah...had my eyes on this for a bit and watching it go South today. Trying to determine when is the best time to buy. $15-$16 range makes sense. Thoughts.

Please don't listen to Cramer.

I am scaling into my position. I bought a small amount last Friday and another traunch yesterday. I will look to fill out my position at the $15 level if it reaches that. I really love their products which you can scale throughout your home. Ultimately, I think one of the big-boys (Alphabet/Google or Apple) buys them out as they have the best smart speaker tech (+600 patents and +400 in process).

Cramer gives some good basic advice to beginning investors. He is certainly wrong a fair share of times. What I like about his show is that he brings attention to under the radar companies that I may not know. Also his CEO interviews are sometime insightful. For instance, Logitech's CEO talked this week about professional gaming being the next big thing and possibly overtaking the popularity of some live sports. There are several good plays off that NVDA, TTWO, ATVI, EA, MSFT, and LOGI to name a few.

Reactions: lz and Deeeefense
I am scaling into my position. I bought a small amount last Friday and another traunch yesterday. I will look to fill out my position at the $15 level if it reaches that. I really love their products which you can scale throughout your home. Ultimately, I think one of the big-boys (Alphabet/Google or Apple) buys them out as they have the best smart speaker tech (+600 patents and +400 in process).

Cramer gives some good basic advice to beginning investors. He is certainly wrong a fair share of times. What I like about his show is that he brings attention to under the radar companies that I may not know. Also his CEO interviews are sometime insightful. For instance, Logitech's CEO talked this week about professional gaming being the next big thing and possibly overtaking the popularity of some live sports. There are several good plays off that NVDA, TTWO, ATVI, EA, MSFT, and LOGI to name a few.

Yeah E-Sports....who knew.

Sono sold off today - currently at $16.60. If you like it, and didn't get the IPO you have a second chance now.

OK, bought 200 shares at $16.93...let's see how it does over the next few months. Maybe they get bought out by Amazon or Google if they are looking to do what Apple did with Beats.

Reactions: Deeeefense
Yeah E-Sports....who knew.

I play games (Call of Duty, etc.) sporadically but I didn't know that there were now professional leagues (Actavision's started the first recently where team members are paid a salary) and that arenas were being built to watch these teams play each other. I also didn't know that several colleges are looking into make it a scholarship sport and that it was being considered for the Olympics. 360 million viewers watched a recent tournament (3x the audience of the Superbowl). It is just a much bigger market than I thought.

Esports, or competitions centered on video gaming, has reached new heights in popularity. Since Activision (NASDAQ:ATVI) created its Overwatch League for competitive gaming, esports have increased in popularity. Over 360 million watched streamed video of the League of Legends competition. Since then, Arlington, Texas — already home to both the Dallas Cowboys and the Texas Rangers — will construct another sporting facility as it builds the largest arena in the country dedicated to esports. Further, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) may approve esports as a competition starting with the 2024 Olympic Games.

https://investorplace.com/2018/07/esports-stocks-to-buy/

Last edited:
My play is TTWO which I picked up last month at $111.

Reactions: DSmith21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT