ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

I play games (Call of Duty, etc.) sporadically but I didn't know that there were now professional leagues (Actavision's started the first recently where team members are paid a salary) and that arenas were being built to watch these teams play each other. I also didn't know that several colleges are looking into make it a scholarship sport and that it was being considered for the Olympics. 360 million viewers watched a recent tournament (3x the audience of the Superbowl). It just a much bigger market than I thought.

Esports, or competitions centered on video gaming, has reached new heights in popularity. Since Activision (NASDAQ:ATVI) created its Overwatch League for competitive gaming, esports have increased in popularity. Over 360 million watched streamed video of the League of Legends competition. Since then, Arlington, Texas — already home to both the Dallas Cowboys and the Texas Rangers — will construct another sporting facility as it builds the largest arena in the country dedicated to esports. Further, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) may approve esports as a competition starting with the 2024 Olympic Games.

https://investorplace.com/2018/07/esports-stocks-to-buy/

Oh yeah...e-sport is a real thing. I think some major sports owners (NFL, MLS, MLB, etc...) have started teams. Weird. I think there was some championship this past weekend or before at the Barclay Center here in Brooklyn.

Reactions: DSmith21
I am scaling into my position. I bought a small amount last Friday and another traunch yesterday. I will look to fill out my position at the $15 level if it reaches that. I really love their products which you can scale throughout your home. Ultimately, I think one of the big-boys (Alphabet/Google or Apple) buys them out as they have the best smart speaker tech (+600 patents and +400 in process).

Cramer gives some good basic advice to beginning investors. He is certainly wrong a fair share of times. What I like about his show is that he brings attention to under the radar companies that I may not know. Also his CEO interviews are sometime insightful. For instance, Logitech's CEO talked this week about professional gaming being the next big thing and possibly overtaking the popularity of some live sports. There are several good plays off that NVDA, TTWO, ATVI, EA, MSFT, and LOGI to name a few.
Agree, he’s worth a listen, but will change his position so rapidly, I’m only there for info on new companies, technologies, medical breakthroughs, etc. I already have NVDA for its many uses, think I will at least take a look at LOGI. I’ll be glad when the election is over, might be the start of another good run, then watch out for inflation in 2019.

Anyone here play options?

I have in the past but I no longer do because I found it to be very time intensive in evaluating which option to buy including the strike price and length of time etc.

One option strategy I still use is covered calls. contrary to what some think it's a conservative strategy. You sell the call at a give price above the current price of a stock you own. If the stock doesn't reach that strike price you keep the premium. If the stock reaches the price you are required to sell the stock you own to cover the call with at the strike price so you still keep the appreciation, but if the stock rises beyond that you would not receive that portion of the growth since you were required to sell at the strike price.

It's sort of a win/win strategy. Sounds more complicated then it actually is and I probably did a bad job of trying to explain it.

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
I have in the past but I no longer do because I found it to be very time intensive in evaluating which option to buy including the strike price and length of time etc.

One option strategy I still use is covered calls. contrary to what some think it's a conservative strategy. You sell the call at a give price above the current price of a stock you own. If the stock doesn't reach that strike price you keep the premium. If the stock reaches the price you are required to sell the stock you own to cover the call with at the strike price so you still keep the appreciation, but if the stock rises beyond that you would not receive that portion of the growth since you were required to sell at the strike price.

It's sort of a win/win strategy. Sounds more complicated then it actually is and I probably did a bad job of trying to explain it.
Ive heard about this strategy. I've got enough stock I should try it. I like the upside on calls/puts but have seen ppl lose it all.

Ive heard about this strategy. I've got enough stock I should try it. I like the upside on calls/puts but have seen ppl lose it all.

Yea if you try to play the options game your playing against the most sophisticated computers on wall street. It's a tough game to win at.

Yea if you try to play the options game your playing against the most sophisticated computers on wall street. It's a tough game to win at.
The payoff can be sweet though. Saw a guy go 64k in FB puts and turned it into 450k overnight. Hard to win at though, I agree

Made a little speculative bet on Sonos (SONO) this week. They make arguably the best wireless smart speakers and soundbars on the market (according to Consumer Reports and others). They claim to have more patents than any tech outfit except Apple. It just went public last week at $15 and is currently trading around $18.20. I have one of their speakers and it is excellent.

Edit: FWIW, Jim Cramer reviewed the stock last night. He said that he owns and loves the product but probably wouldn't own the stock right now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/02/sonos-sono-ipo-stock-starts-trading-on-the-nasdaq.html
Cramer splashed some cold water on it yesterday, comparing it to Fitbit as a stock. Hold your ground, just sounds like one to patiently add shares after drops if you’re sold on it.

My KIN is rising some more after their eps report late yesterday, revenue on weight gain product for cats (heck, I thought they were all obese) just getting started next quarter and another product for horses coming on board late year, lots of other products involving dogs, etc, likely happening next year.

Anybody else hold Dropbox, sold all but 125 sh after the COO resigned, is the CEO as dumb as he looks?:grimace: Seems like a great company for the future.

Tell me which stocks you all think will rise over the next 3 months to a year and why. Aka whats your due diligence on the stock.

Hit big with AMD at 10$ a share. I like the position disney is in rn, low price for a blue chip stock that just acquired 21st C Fox and opening major attractions to their theme parks within the year.

Reactions: jameslee32
Tell me which stocks you all think will rise over the next 3 months to a year and why. Aka whats your due diligence on the stock.

Hit big with AMD at 10$ a share. I like the position disney is in rn, low price for a blue chip stock that just acquired 21st C Fox and opening major attractions to their theme parks within the year.
Frankly, I think it is very hard to project the next 3 months with the elections ahead of us, same for one year because of higher interest rates. Some of us have mentioned a few of our choices the last week or so in the thread, maybe you could summarize those, then have others add their picks to the list. This thread honestly doesn’t have much traffic, wish it did.

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
Question for you @lz

It seems you do a lot of trading, at least more than me, what are you paying per trade? I'm at 3.95 but would probably go to webull or robin hood if I traded more.

I'm a long investor and make about 3 to 4 trades a quarter.

Question for you @lz

It seems you do a lot of trading, at least more than me, what are you paying per trade? I'm at 3.95 but would probably go to webull or robin hood if I traded more.

$6 on Ameritrade, like their research, and I think $3 on my wife’s Zackstrade, I probably trade too much!

Question for you @lz

If you do a lot of trading Interactive Brokers is where you need to be. Trades average about $1.00. It can be overwhelming at first as the portal looks like the cockpit of a 747 but once you get the hang of it, you will appreciate it. Also they make after hours trading easy which is where you can make some quick money.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
If you do a lot of trading Interactive Brokers is where you need to be. Trades average about $1.00. It can be overwhelming at first as the portal looks like the cockpit of a 747 but once you get the hang of it, you will appreciate it. Also they make after hours trading easy which is where you can make some quick money.
Thanks for that.

Right now I'm strictly invest and hold but when I get to retirement, I can see me playing around with shorter time lines, options etc.

That's a few years down the road... unless I hit it big!!!:pray:

Reactions: Deeeefense
Does anyone here in the Paddock actually trade for a living?? IF so how long have you been at it?

Thanks for the info. I plan on checking it out.

Reactions: Deeeefense
M&A Austin
Mergers and Acquisitions. I hear ya. A sampling of M&A affecting my DRiPs:

Upjohn -> Pharmacia & Upjohn and Monsanto acquisition/spin-off -> Pfizer

D&N Financial -> FMER -> HBAN

Comsat -> LMT (I'm up over 1200% for this deal) Thanks Melvin Laird and Frank Carlucci!

BOBE -> POST

There are many others over the years. Crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: jameslee32 and lz
I'm fed up of paying $8.95 per trade with USAA. It's been convenient having my money with the bank I use however it is a joke to be paying double or triple what most other brokerages are charging. You earn nothing as far as interest with money sitting around in CDs and obviously savings accounts with them. Is it possible to move my stock to another brokerage without having to sell first?

I'm fed up of paying $8.95 per trade with USAA. It's been convenient having my money with the bank I use however it is a joke to be paying double or triple what most other brokerages are charging. You earn nothing as far as interest with money sitting around in CDs and obviously savings accounts with them. Is it possible to move my stock to another brokerage without having to sell first?
One option is convert the shares from bookentry into certificate form; however, fees will undoubtedly apply.

Thank you AustinTXCat!! Will definitely be looking into that. As much as I would like to trade more, it will likely benefit in the long haul.
Example costs for conversion to certificate form at TD Ameritrade are roughly $20-$35 per stock.

There may be another method via brokerage transfer between firms. I'm unfamiliar with the ins-and-outs, though. May save some time and hassle.

Believe it or not, I'm also a USAA member, but have no investments with the firm.

Good luck!

Example costs for conversion to certificate form at TD Ameritrade are roughly $20-$35 per stock.

There may be another method via brokerage transfer between firms. I'm unfamiliar with the ins-and-outs, though. May save some time and hassle.

Believe it or not, I'm also a USAA member, but have no investments with the firm.

Good luck!
Thank you for that information, its really going to help me make the decision to make the change. I can see now why USAA is not the best firm to invest with. They bank on members keeping money with them for convenience to move money in and out. Their prices unreal compared to what I read people here are paying.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Thank you for that information, its really going to help me make the decision to make the change. I can see now why USAA is not the best firm to invest with. They bank on members keeping money with them for convenience to move money in and out. Their prices unreal compared to what I read people here are paying.
I would talk to USAA directly and see what they can do in terms of transferring your holdings to another brokerage. I think that would be cheaper than converting to paper.

If you aren't wanting to sell out of your positions, I would just leave them alone and open an account elsewhere. There are plenty of low cost or no cost brokerages as discussed. Not all will have the same access to equities and investment vehicles, so do your due diligence.

you can trade on Robinhood for NO FEES buying and minimal selling.

Robinhood does not charge fees to open or maintain an account, transfer funds, or buy stock.

However, there are fees charged by the US Securities & Exchange Commission and FINRA on all sell orders. This fee is charged to all sell orders, independent of the brokerage. Robinhood does not benefit financially from these charges, and they are passed on the relevant regulatory agencies in full.

SEC: $13.00 per $1,000,000 of principal (sells only) - this fee is rounded up to the nearest penny.

FINRA Trading Activity Fee (TAF): $.000119 per share (sells only) - this fee is rounded up to the nearest penny and no greater than $5.95.

Last edited:
For the last time you can trade on Robinhood for NO FEES buying and minimal selling.

Robinhood does not charge fees to open or maintain an account, transfer funds, or buy stock.

I'm aware of that. That was not my question. Hence why I am asking how to move my money.

I'm aware of that. That was not my question. Hence why I am asking how to move my money.
Take money on margin and leverage your debt and avoid the bank altogether. As long as you have enough to cover you debt and you don't make moves that go to hell you should be all good. I don't deal with CD's so i can't help you there.

Take money on margin and leverage your debt and avoid the bank altogether. As long as you have enough to cover you debt and you don't make moves that go to hell you should be all good. I don't deal with CD's so i can't help you there.
Thank you, I am fortunate to be in a position to have my debt covered and have some money sitting around in a savings account. As far as CDs, USAA is a joke and I've made more in one day on the market than the entire term length. Better ways of making your money work for you than a CD. Only thing it's good for IMO is holding funds you don't want to invest to make more than it would in a savings account.

Vanguard is paying me 1.87% in their Federal Money Market Fund to hold cash. I'd be thrilled to keep more cash there with a threat of systemic risk like 10 years ago but I always like to keep something ready for purchases, just in case. I would never consider borrowing on margin for any reason.

TD Ameritrade pays next to nothing but I also park some cash there for buying moments like February of 2016 or March of 2018. I'm considering selling a portion of my winners again late this year for this reason. I've found the holidays are a good time to do this but again, I rarely sell all at once.

Vanguard is paying me 1.87% in their Federal Money Market Fund to hold cash. I'd be thrilled to keep more cash there with a threat of systemic risk like 10 years ago but I always like to keep something ready for purchases, just in case. I would never consider borrowing on margin for any reason.

TD Ameritrade pays next to nothing but I also park some cash there for buying moments like February of 2016 or March of 2018. I'm considering selling a portion of my winners again late this year for this reason. I've found the holidays are a good time to do this but again, I rarely sell all at once.
Borrowing on margin isn't a horrible thing to do especially in small amounts of 5k or less. If you've got money in the bank and want to buy stokes but they're charging you high rates for trades borrowing on margin has upside. You can get approved on robin hood and only pay 5.99 a month for nice buying power. I would never suggest going into debt that you can not cover however. Ive seen a lot of dumbasses borrowing on margin and buying options and losing it all then can't pay it back.

Borrowing on margin isn't a horrible thing to do especially in small amounts of 5k or less. If you've got money in the bank and want to buy stokes but they're charging you high rates for trades borrowing on margin has upside. You can get approved on robin hood and only pay 5.99 a month for nice buying power. I would never suggest going into debt that you can not cover however. Ive seen a lot of dumbasses borrowing on margin and buying options and losing it all then can't pay it back.
Dude! Margin calls are the reason some investors (read: speculators) jump from windows located 4th floor or higher. Gambling on steroids.

Dude! Margin calls are the reason some investors (read: speculators) jump from windows located 4th floor or higher. Gambling on steroids.
Hence the part about having the money to cover your debt, and not taking out more than you can pay back.

Not for me. Ain't afraid of no commissions either. Not these days.

My same Vanguard account would charge me a daily rate of 2.5% PLUS a base rate of 6.5%. No thanks. I'd just rather invest $500 instead of $5000 next time. Eventually I'll get there or sell something.

Mark Cuban and I are both raising Cash now going into year end.:sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT