ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

I mean, why can't you? I'm a total amateur and even I knew the stocks would take a hit today with the Interest rates. Not much of a hit, but the point was that it did. Could't I have technically "beaten" the market by NOT buying tuesday night, but buying today?

These are honest questions. what am I missing?

Did every stock on the market take a hit?

Did every stock on the market take a hit?

Not every. But isn't that kind of how history goes with rate hikes? They offset inflation and attempt to cool the economy by making it more costly to borrow, first from banks and then from businesses and consumers.

Since I have lived many years in Taiwan and since my wife is a International Finance major from U. Of Maryland, I hear a lot of stuff from many people in her family that deal in stocks, bonds, and especially real estate that they look at in various US markets that main land Chinese are interested in for investments.

From what they tell me, the area around Lake Mary, Florida is a real hot market. Homes their run 300,000 to 400,000 but compared to property in Hong Kong, and Shanghai the Chinese think it is a steal and are buying properties site unseen over the phone. Why Lake Mary?.

That is where all the rich Chinese send their kids to learn and play golf the year around. And it’s close to Disney World in Orlando.

What are your all's opinions on cannabis growth stocks? Cheap right now and on the rise right now. Never gave it much thought until I stumbled across an article about it on the Motley Fool.

What are your all's opinions on cannabis growth stocks? Cheap right now and on the rise right now. Never gave it much thought until I stumbled across an article about it on the Motley Fool.
I think most are registered on Canadian exchanges. Those in business here are said to have banking issues. Not sure they fear Jeff Sessions but apparently the threat of govt seizure is a worry for both bankers and business owners.

Could be in for a rough ride. Harley Davidson is so freaked out about retaliatory tariffs that they plan to start building bikes in Europe. That didn't take long but it had also been a struggling business prior to any tariffs.
Agreed. Was afraid about this over the past week. Unfortunately it seems to be trending that way at the moment. How is this pissing contest supposed to help anyone at all?

Yikes! Just found out GE is leaving the 30 Dow Industrials Talk about end of an era, GE stock price has been included continuously in the DJIA for 111 years. It is an original member.
GE is up huge today. Talk about selling some of their businesses.

The market has slightly recovered as well but it wouldn't surprise me to see another huge selloff this week. I put in a couple new buy orders way below the recent lows just in case.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Agreed. Was afraid about this over the past week. Unfortunately it seems to be trending that way at the moment. How is this pissing contest supposed to help anyone at all?
It helps to pick the best domestic companies unaffected yet taking a hit anyway or the multi-nationals taking too much of a beating should tariff talks come to an quick ending. It's not for the faint of heart. You must have conviction when long yet be nimble enough to buy or sell at your prices as a trader.

It helps to pick the best domestic companies unaffected yet taking a hit anyway or the multi-nationals taking too much of a beating should tariff talks come to an quick ending. It's not for the faint of heart. You must have conviction when long yet be nimble enough to buy or sell at your prices as a trader.
Most of my stocks are in American companies and can be consumed without tariffs like Netflix. They still had their hit during this. I always stay the course because when the market goes back up, you lose those gains had you pulled out.

Warren Buffett once said that as an investor, it is wise to be “Fearful when others are greedy and
greedy when others are fearful.”

Yesterday was a very small blip. But If I had investing money probably would have grabbed a few shares of something. But I didn't so I didn't really look.

If you're thinking of selling on downward "corrections" then you've bought something you have no confidence in. You should be thinking BUY great companies when they drop. Not sell.

I have stock in EA, a little in Amazon, and the majority in Netflix, Mutual Funds in S&P 500 & Nasdaq - 100 index funds for some time now. Stocks I firmly believe in with no intentions of selling even during the times of market volatility. They are going nowhere and have stood the test of time.

Reactions: BlueThruAndThru
I have stock in EA, a little in Amazon, and the majority in Netflix, Mutual Funds in S&P 500 & Nasdaq - 100 index funds for some time now. Stocks I firmly believe in with no intentions of selling even during the times of market volatility. They are going nowhere and have stood the test of time.
I own those first 3 as well. Haven't owned EA too long but have it with Activision Blizzard, Nvidia, Tencent and Intel for the coming gaming revolution.

I believe small venues will pack in spectators for those matches. Maybe not in US to begin with but I really think it will become more and more mainstream. JMHO

I own those first 3 as well. Haven't owned EA too long but have it with Activision Blizzard, Nvidia, Tencent and Intel for the coming gaming revolution.

I believe small venues will pack in spectators for those matches. Maybe not in US to begin with but I really think it will become more and more mainstream. JMHO
Same here with EA. It was the last stock I purchased into. I have the majority of my stock in Netflix given it is not too expensive for my budget and has been consistently growing over the last decade.

I considered about buying into TECHY over the past month and a half. Figured I'd be buying at while it was already high though.

Intrigued as well by the expected growth in the gaming world. I have a CD set to expire in a couple weeks which made nothing. With those funds, I'm going to give some of these rising a tech stocks a hard look.

Last edited:
Huge swings in the indexes today as the DJIA, the S&P 500, the Nasdaq and the Russell 2000 all closed near the session lows. Chinese stocks have been taken out back and shot this week basically! Interesting struggle coming tomorrow. If the GDP number is perfect and sellers back off, could be a nice day. Otherwise who knows how bad it gets.

Great win today with RPM. Up 9%. One of my project investments via DRiP since the BOBE sale.

I love Ohio corps, but despise the Buckeyes. Is that normal? Heh heh heh.

Life is good.
I drank beer in Ohio today and married one so they're not all bad. Some certainly.

Congrats on the RPM. I play DWDP which is a dog this year but I have the breakup catalyst to wait on and hopefully that pans out well. I reinvest the dividends but I have sold about $5000 worth of other names to spend on the family and bills in the past 9 months. It's been a great 9 year ride and reaping some of the rewards is surely satisfying.

Said this for a while, no way Nvidia remains as the only player in the chip/GPU front. Compare those two stocks.. holy hot damn. I have to imagine AMD saw this and said "Ok, no more dicking around".

However, what happened today that it stopped so much?

Granted a lot of success is due to Chips and getting more buy-in. But I knew Nvidia wouldn't be the only player in the GPU market. With supply extremely low in the last few months, that meant a huge opprotunity for the 2nd biggest player, AMD.

https://www.investopedia.com/investing/will-amd-continue-march-higher/

Could be in for a rough ride. Harley Davidson is so freaked out about retaliatory tariffs that they plan to start building bikes in Europe. That didn't take long but it had also been a struggling business prior to any tariffs.

Harley has been in trouble for a long time as tastes change. Also hurts because millennials are not buying.

Only stock I have now is JPM. Besides my company 401k. JPM has really kicked ass the last year.

Only stock I have now is JPM. Besides my company 401k. JPM has really kicked ass the last year.
I have a small position and despite banks struggling since January, I'm up 10%+.

My wife's bank, FFBC, is up about 26% in a year and is also in her 401k. Even though it's off the highs by about 10%.

I have JPM as well. Has beaten the market for the past yr and a half, at least. Jamie Dimon knows what he's doing.

Other money trading hands stocks I like are SQ, PYPL, V and MA. (Square, Paypal, Visa and MasterCard) All market beaters for the past 2 to 3 years.

The war on cash is real.

Last edited:
Going more to Cash as we near the elections. Best picks currently with momentum are pet care stock KIN, consumer robotics IRBT and acute medical care ENSG. My top picks I’ve sold half ownership are high flyers, ADBE, ALGN, NVDA.

Reactions: jameslee32
Question about some stock I have been selling to put my daughter through college.

I’ve had the JPM for about 34 years and was always going to use it for that reason or an unseen medical emergency.

The taxes are eating me up at the end of the year by selling it! Suggestions?

Question about some stock I have been selling to put my daughter through college.

I’ve had the JPM for about 34 years and was always going to use it for that reason or an unseen medical emergency.

The taxes are eating me up at the end of the year by selling it! Suggestions?
Don’t rush that sale, Trump is trying to do away with CG tax this fall without Congressional approval, and higher int rates “may” push bank stocks up some more. Think I had rather get a short term loan.

Lol! She’s starting her jr year! A little late from Trump.

I don’t know..... she is going into Elementary Ed. But after she gets her Masters, hoping she gets into administrations.

I don’t know..... she is going into Elementary Ed. But after she gets her Masters, hoping she gets into administrations.
That’s where the money is in education if she’s a good leader. My nephew’s wife returned to her middle school in the area where she was a two sport star to teach math, soon took over as a leader, now an assistant principal in her mid 30s.

Reactions: Bryguy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT