ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

Do it and buy something like an index fund! Also consider saving up to the 401k match only to help fund it. Don't worry too much about what it's doing in 5, 10 or 15 years. This money is there for retirement. Compounding is a wonderful thing over the long term.

Hoping to get on this today. My company just cashed out about.. $15k for stock, and I need to do something with it. Even the highest yield savings banks barely get to 2 percent, and it just won't do much.

I've been modest in my Roth IRA as I'm already at 10% for my 401k. I put $200/month in my Roth IRA for $2,400/year. so for now I'm at roughly $1000 with room for $4,500 to put in for 2018.

I'm trying to figure out a middle-ground approach, because I still need to save for a house and pay down about $2k in CC debt (I keep it paid down and don't incure any interest as of now) I don't think I can swing front loading it today, AND saving $5,500 over the remainder of 2018, so I can put it in Jan 1st 2019. Any ideas? That's essentially $10k over the next 6 months.

Hoping to get on this today. My company just cashed out about.. $15k for stock, and I need to do something with it. Even the highest yield savings banks barely get to 2 percent, and it just won't do much.

I've been modest in my Roth IRA as I'm already at 10% for my 401k. I put $200/month in my Roth IRA for $2,400/year. so for now I'm at roughly $1000 with room for $4,500 to put in for 2018.

I'm trying to figure out a middle-ground approach, because I still need to save for a house and pay down about $2k in CC debt (I keep it paid down and don't incure any interest as of now) I don't think I can swing front loading it today, AND saving $5,500 over the remainder of 2018, so I can put it in Jan 1st 2019. Any ideas? That's essentially $10k over the next 6 months.
A Roth is a brilliant idea for any younger person.

I'd pay off the CC debt before I did anything and work on remaining cash flow positive. I only use CC's to pay ME cash back but it only works if you pay it off in full every month. We have one that pays 6% back for groceries and another that pays 4% for gasoline and 3% for restaurants.

I'd work on that house down payment next if I were you. Interest rates are rising. The sooner you buy the better I'd say.

It's possible to reduce your expenses with a mortgage and tax deductions vs rent if you start small. That savings and lightening up the 401k might also help fund a new IRA account with hundreds if not thousands more investment options. I'm just not sure you're ready for a brokerage account yet if you take on too much at once. A financial planner can dig into greater detail and help more than I ever could from the Paddock.

Last edited:
A Roth is a brilliant idea for any younger person.

I'd pay off the CC debt before I did anything and work on remaining cash flow positive. I only use CC's to pay ME cash back but it only works if you pay it off in full every month. We have one that pays 6% back for groceries and another that pays 4% for gasoline and 3% for restaurants.

I'd work on that house down payment next if I were you. Interest rates are rising. The sooner you buy the better I'd say.

It's possible to reduce your expenses with a mortgage and tax deductions vs rent if you start small. That savings and lightening up the 401k might also help fund a new IRA account with hundreds if not thousands more investment options. I'm just not sure you're ready for a brokerage account yet if you take on too much at once. A financial planner can dig into greater detail and help more than I ever could from the Paddock.

Awesome! Yeah I'm not touching a brokerage account yet. I'd like to read a few books on it. I don't feel comfortable buying individual stocks. Even picking funds, I'm still weary on. What do I look for? How do I keep track of it? When do I know if there's a problem with my fund? Those are the things I need to learn.

Yep, paying down the CC now. My goal is to buy a duplex in a hotspot area. Houses like that go for $250,000 with both units rent combined anywhere from $2-3k/month. Taxes are high in my area though (albany ny). Now, that goal might adjust with the lady. Not sure. But it seems like the best waste to grab passive income, and I enjoy working around the house. Trying to fix a broken sync is infinitely easier than trying to upgrade an important IT system.

My worry with the Housing market is that the houses are just so over valued now. Sure the interest rates are rising, but I'd almost like to buy a house if/when the HM every crashes. Thoughts on that?

Awesome! Yeah I'm not touching a brokerage account yet. I'd like to read a few books on it. I don't feel comfortable buying individual stocks. Even picking funds, I'm still weary on. What do I look for? How do I keep track of it? When do I know if there's a problem with my fund? Those are the things I need to learn.

Yep, paying down the CC now. My goal is to buy a duplex in a hotspot area. Houses like that go for $250,000 with both units rent combined anywhere from $2-3k/month. Taxes are high in my area though (albany ny). Now, that goal might adjust with the lady. Not sure. But it seems like the best waste to grab passive income, and I enjoy working around the house. Trying to fix a broken sync is infinitely easier than trying to upgrade an important IT system.

My worry with the Housing market is that the houses are just so over valued now. Sure the interest rates are rising, but I'd almost like to buy a house if/when the HM every crashes. Thoughts on that?
A fixer upper seems more like your best bet instead of assuming that much debt. Having the skills to improve it seems right up your alley. I think you have good plans. Maybe just run it by a professional and/or start small and work your way up with a nice retirement backdrop that you've discussed.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
AMD has been good for me

The chips have been making a comeback. I have AVGO and KLAC in my IRA's since I don't think they'll stop making them anytime soon.

Said this for a while, no way Nvidia remains as the only player in the chip/GPU front. Compare those two stocks.. holy hot damn. I have to imagine AMD saw this and said "Ok, no more dicking around".

However, what happened today that it stopped so much?

Lol and so much for my Starbucks view points. Coffee prices raising 10-15 cents.. Can't imagine the liberal viewpoints of the CEO and the price hike is going to help them in any way. But I'll gladly use one of these and save some money. Plus I can go into Starbucks with my own coffee anyways!

46027242857532p

Said this for a while, no way Nvidia remains as the only player in the chip/GPU front. Compare those two stocks.. holy hot damn. I have to imagine AMD saw this and said "Ok, no more dicking around".

LRCX got some bad press from an analyst. Hard to say if that took the whole group down. However, these situations can be opportunities with a long term horizon. These names ran quite a bit higher until today also and were maybe due for a setback.

I jinxed it

I jinxed it
Definitely not alone, Hell I did the same thing last week in this thread with PDYPY a bookmaking business based in Ireland, only to see it only fall since I invested in it. Jumped on it after a strong month of May. I suspect it will rise again around football season if not before then.

Definitely not alone, Hell I did the same thing last week in this thread with PDYPY a bookmaking business based in Ireland, only to see it only fall since I invested in it. Jumped on it after a strong month of May. I suspect it will rise again around football season if not before then.
I got in good on AMD, but the dollar fall wasn't fun. You like trading on the euro exchange?

I got in good on AMD, but the dollar fall wasn't fun. You like trading on the euro exchange?

Added AMD to my stock watch list. This was actually a first for me. I chose to invest in PDYPY with high hopes after the Supreme Court striking the ban against sports betting and the merger with Fan Duel that it will take off even more. They own DRAFT and in '09 bought TVG Horse racing channel. Read where they had been positioning themselves for the moment when the U.S. legalized sports betting. Still do like their prospects.

Nvda is best performer with nflx right behind.

Rec is IQ, SQ, and PYPL... I own all. Just picked up IQ and it has been a monster in these few weeks. It is new so beware.

Want to get SHOP, TDOC and ALGN.

Have CRSP and EDIT for the crispr revolution. Might pick up NTLA too. Those are pure speculation plays.

Of those I'm most bullish on SQ and PYPL.

Edit: I should have prefaced all of this by saying I am a long-term (10+years) investor of what I believe to be quality businesses.

Last edited:
Nvda is best performer with nflx right behind.

Rec is IQ, SQ, and PYPL... I own all. Just picked up IQ and it has been a monster in these few weeks. It is new so beware.

Want to get SHOP, TDOC and ALGN.

Have CRSP and EDIT for the crispr revolution. Might pick up NTLA too. Those are pure speculation plays.

Of those I'm most bullish on SQ and PYPL.
Dude, I love NIVDIA products. I run crypto cards mining. Have not yet invested. Can't pull the trigger for some reason

Can't comment on SQ. Must learn the business.

Good luck.

Just bought some GOLF (Acushnet which owns Titleist and Footjoy). Nice dividend and Titleist has a new line of drivers coming out soon which always drives sales. Also a play on increased interest in the game over the next 5-10 years as the economy continues to perform well and interst in the PGA Tour is rising from it's low point 5 or 6 years ago.

Any ideas on how to capitalize on the electric car industry? With Google ordering 80,000 or so to put into a self driving fleet the self-driving car industry is upon us sooner than I thought that it would be. These cars will be electric, they will go to a port and recharge somewhere, and they will need maintenance to electric drive systems. I know it's going to be a good time to be an electrician, but there has to be some company making electric components that will profit off all this. The cars themselves will be commodities just like gas autos are today. In fact I think the sedan is going to become completely useless (good call Ford) as this is the type of transport that can be handled easily by a self driving cars. Trucks and large SUV's are going to continue to be the luxury vehicles of the future as if you are buying something it will be a truck or SUV to pull your camper or boat or haul your big family around in.

Last edited:
Reactions: AustinTXCat
Just bought some GOLF (Acushnet which owns Titleist and Footjoy). Nice dividend and Titleist has a new line of drivers coming out soon which always drives sales. Also a play on increased interest in the game over the next 5-10 years as the economy continues to perform well and interst in the PGA Tour is rising from it's low point 5 or 6 years ago.

Any ideas on how to capitalize on the electric car industry? With Google ordering 80,000 or so to put into a self driving fleet the self-driving car industry is upon us sooner than I thought that it would be. These cars will be electric, they will go to a port and recharge somewhere, and they will need maintenance to electric drive systems. I know it's going to be a good time to be an electrician, but there has to be some company making electric components that will profit off all this. The cars themselves will be commodities just like gas autos are today. In fact I think the sedan is going to become completely useless (good call Ford) as this is the type of transport that can be handled easily by a self driving cars. Trucks and large SUV's are going to continue to be the luxury vehicles of the future as if you are buying something it will be a truck or SUV to pull your camper or boat or haul your big family around in.
As far as electric cars, the lithium producers have had a rough go of it this year but it might be a good time to buy. SQM, ALB and FMC are a few ways to play.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/sqm-vs-albemarle-vs-fmc-120200252.html

Last edited:
Netflix has been great for me. I'm one of those in the S&P 500 & NASDAQ 100 index mutual funds. Where I've made my most money in. Just have to ride the good with the bad and keep telling yourself it will come back around. I can make $500 + in a day when the market performs great.

So if one were to believe we're heading for a bit of a recession (with some saying as soon as Wednesday with the Fed interest hike a likely possibility), would it be wise to wait before buying? I'm ready to dump $4,500 into my Roth IRA, currently just the Vanguard 2050 Target fund.. but the better move is to wait a bit, see what the fed does, and then buy.. right? I just don't want to buy at the top of the market. I don't want to buy a $1,000 TV if it's going to be $800 in a few days.

Do I have that right?

So if one were to believe we're heading for a bit of a recession (with some saying as soon as Wednesday with the Fed interest hike a likely possibility), would it be wise to wait before buying? I'm ready to dump $4,500 into my Roth IRA, currently just the Vanguard 2050 Target fund.. but the better move is to wait a bit, see what the fed does, and then buy.. right? I just don't want to buy at the top of the market. I don't want to buy a $1,000 TV if it's going to be $800 in a few days.

Do I have that right?
Buy what you want, just not all at once. The cash can sit in their MM fund or whatever holding place they use until you're ready to buy more at a better price. Sometimes you miss it but there will always be other opportunities.

Do I have that right?

No, you don’t have the ability to Time the market.

Reactions: jameslee32
Buy what you want, just not all at once. The cash can sit in their MM fund or whatever holding place they use until you're ready to buy more at a better price. Sometimes you miss it but there will always be other opportunities.

Just maxed out the IRA/Money Market fund at $5,500 for the year. Hopeing to move it into the 2050 fund at some point in the next few days to few weeks. Might look into change the funds up. I have it ALL in the 2050 right now, even though it's a Vanguard Fund with minimal expenses.

Just maxed out the IRA/Money Market fund at $5,500 for the year. Hopeing to move it into the 2050 fund at some point in the next few days to few weeks. Might look into change the funds up. I have it ALL in the 2050 right now, even though it's a Vanguard Fund with minimal expenses.
I have a Vanguard account. The settlement fund for my IRA's is called the Federal Money Market Fund. This is where all contributions and dividends go until a stock or fund purchase executes or dividends are reinvested

Be aware of the redemption policies for some of their funds as well.
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/whatweoffer/overview/redemptionpolicy

In addition to the operating expenses, also be aware of the service fee of $20/year on certain fund balances below $10,000.

See page 56.
https://www.vanguard.com/pub/Pdf/p308.pdf

Checked the stock ticker for VFIFX, Vanguards Target retirement 2050.. It seems something like this, which I imagine is 80/20 stockbond (although i should really know this off the top of my head), really doesn't flucutate much.

$26/low and a $38/high since 2014.. I thought maybe I should hold out a bit before buying at the high.. but it appears this thing won't move all that much and I should just buy into the fund now.. which will properly front load my Roth IRA for the 2nd half of 2018. Aside from your own thoughts on the economy, am I right on that?

Also, feel free to ask advice my way, I feel like I owe you. Here's some thing I'm good at:

Snow related activities, boozing, Fantasy Basketball, swimming laps from time to time (don't ask me how to do the flip, I still don't know), being a bodybuilder who hasn't budged in any lift in nearly 3 years, boozing...

You should feel so lucky...

I repeat, you can’t time the market. Buy in over a consistent period of time in consistent intervals.

I mean, why can't you? I'm a total amateur and even I knew the stocks would take a hit today with the Interest rates. Not much of a hit, but the point was that it did. Could't I have technically "beaten" the market by NOT buying tuesday night, but buying today?

These are honest questions. what am I missing?

I mean, why can't you? I'm a total amateur and even I knew the stocks would take a hit today with the Interest rates. Not much of a hit, but the point was that it did. Could't I have technically "beaten" the market by NOT buying tuesday night, but buying today?

These are honest questions. what am I missing?

Sure you might be able to do anecdotally on occasion. If anyone knew what the market was going to do with certainty they would have nearly unlimited wealth. You didn’t know for sure, what you guessed would happen did on this occasion. My strategy is low fee index funds dollar cost averaged consistently over the longest period possible. Someone once told me (I’ve never looked it up) that the market gains/returns are earned over a very limited number of days in a given year so you don’t want to risk missing those.

Sure you might be able to do anecdotally on occasion. If anyone knew what the market was going to do with certainty they would have nearly unlimited wealth. You didn’t know for sure, what you guessed would happen did on this occasion. My strategy is low fee index funds dollar cost averaged consistently over the longest period possible. Someone once told me (I’ve never looked it up) that the market gains/returns are earned over a very limited number of days in a given year so you don’t want to risk missing those.

Good points. I guess just get the money in the Roth IRA now.

Checked the stock ticker for VFIFX, Vanguards Target retirement 2050.. It seems something like this, which I imagine is 80/20 stockbond (although i should really know this off the top of my head), really doesn't flucutate much.

$26/low and a $38/high since 2014.. I thought maybe I should hold out a bit before buying at the high.. but it appears this thing won't move all that much and I should just buy into the fund now.. which will properly front load my Roth IRA for the 2nd half of 2018. Aside from your own thoughts on the economy, am I right on that?
I don't buy at the highs personally but it's not exactly there so if I were you, I'd buy half now and wait on a selloff to buy the rest. But these don't work like stocks. It's not like you can use a limit order to set the price you are willing to pay. I'm pretty sure there won't be a commission either if you have a VG account buying a VG fund. It's been a while though.

I've been watching this thread because I have some money sitting not doing anything and who else could I trust but those on the Paddock.

I'll be 64 in November, but my wife is only 55. I would like to invest $50K in something that would make some money rather than sitting in savings not doing much at all.

What would you do with that amount?

Take the 50K and be a hard money lender to someone in the real estate game. Probably shoot for a 10% return or so for the year

ADVERTISEMENT