ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2025 Recruiting

I don't think so. Maybe another 3, 4, or 5 commits in the next month. That would fill 60-75% of our entire 2025 class, depending on how many scholarships Stoops plans to hold back for inbound transfers over the winter.
It appears UK didn’t make up enough ground for Edwards and Marsh is a UM lean

Marsh said the people at MI made him feel at home and they made him feel like a top priority for them. They told him that he could play early if he comes in and works hard. He said he wants to play early and that is pretty big to him. Not familiar with how good MI's receivers are but have to believe they have very high end receivers at least as good as we have. Between the two one would think that early playing time would come at UK quicker than there because of our lack of depth after the first and second teams.

Yeah, Edwards was a big need. He had been committed to AU and will probably end up there
Edwards has explosive first step, really strong prospect. It looks like UK may have gotten in late on him. I saw him as Bohanna 2.0, even from same general area of TN. Wouldn't give up on him until he signs.

Wondering if UK might look upon Ekperuoh as a NT prospect? Guy is really, really raw, has played some D all be it on a really bad HS team. Still, with somebody new to football and with his size.....never know.

EDIT: As we lament the Edwards situation....TOS drops a CB of Edwards to UK. Hope it's right!

Last edited:
Edwards has explosive first step, really strong prospect. It looks like UK may have gotten in late on him. I saw him as Bohanna 2.0, even from same general area of TN. Wouldn't give up on him until he signs.

Wondering if UK might look upon Ekperuoh as a NT prospect? Guy is really, really raw, has played some D all be it on a really bad HS team. Still, with somebody new to football and with his size.....never know.

EDIT: As we lament the Edwards situation....TOS drops a CB of Edwards to UK. Hope it's right!
Very well could be. JR was trying to follow up on him and hadn’t heard anything. That would be a huge get for us

Wonder how good Josh Edwards at predicting? Have seen K Edwards listed anywhere from the 29th to the 34th best DL. GA, TN, MO, AU have offered him. His position coach at Auburn left for the pro's. Would be the rock to build the defense around. Could see him in the rotation year 1 possibly if he enrolled early.

Reactions: JASUN74
Wonder how good Josh Edwards at predicting? Have seen K Edwards listed anywhere from the 29th to the 34th best DL. GA, TN, MO, AU have offered him. His position coach at Auburn left for the pro's. Would be the rock to build the defense around. Could see him in the rotation year 1 possibly if he enrolled early.
Edwards boasts an 86% accuracy rate so.....whatever.

Last edited:
With 10 verbal commits now, let's take a closer look.

Martels Carter, DB (S)
Marquise Davis, RB
Ja'kayden Ferguson, WR/CB
Tucker Kattus, OL (OG)
Andrew Purcell, DB (CB)
Stone Saunders, QB
Quintin Simmons, WR/slotR
Nicholas Smith, DL (DE/DT)
Darrin Strey, OL (OT)
Brennen Ward, QB

So, at this juncture, that's 6 offensive prospects, 3 defensive prospects, plus one (Ferguson) who is being recruited primarily as a WR but also intends to take practice reps at CB.

Stoops already has the QBs he needs in the class.

We know he wants at least one more WR. Dejerrian Miller, Andrew Marsh, Preston Bowman, and Samari Reed are still uncommitted.

Stoops might take one more RB in the fall, maybe a late flip, but no new RB names are on UK's public radar right now.

Coach Marrow is only recruiting one TE prospect (Brody Lennon) but most observers expect Lennon to commit to OH St.

We know Stoops wants at least one more OT. The prominent uncommitted name is Jermiel Atkins, whom Coach Marrow would like to wrap up today or at least in the next 2 weeks. Atkins is a high risk high reward prospect. If he is a take, Bryan Auguste is another likely OT possibility. There is one uncorroborated new report that Coach Wolf is recruiting Jason Ekperuoh and time will tell if it is valid. As far as the interior OL is concerned, Stoops is still waiting on Isaac Sowells. New names could pop onto Stoops' radar in the fall, like Marc Nave did late in 2023.

On the DL, we now have Nicholas Smith. Coach White and Coach Stewart are trying hard to close on Kalen Edwards and Javeon Campbell.

Numerically speaking, Stoops doesn't need more LBs in the 2025 class. But Christian Gass, Cedric Works, Jaiden Braker are too talented to pass up if Stoops can sign them. My guess would be that Stoops gets one of them, most likely Works.

In the secondary, we already have commitments from a CB (Purcell) and a S (Carter). These are strong commitments, but we still need another CB and another S. Dawayne Galloway and Noah King are still uncommitted, and new names will probably pop up on Stoops' radar in the fall. Galloway is considered a national top 250 prospect and would be an ideal fit for Coach White's secondary.

Because evaluations do not involve any standardization or guidelines concerning uniform depth of coverage, I am not a proponent of online player ratings, as everyone on the thread already knows. UK fans know Jacob Tamme, Randall Cobb, Josh Allen, and Bunchy Stallings went from being very lightly recruited in hs to All Americans in Lexington. Who is to say whether the #275 prospect is really better than the #400 prospect, and so forth? However, for those who follow such things, Simmons and Carter are ranked within the nation's top 250 hs football prospects. Marquise Davis is the #11 overall prospect in OH and the #21 RB prospect in the country. Darrin Strey is the #29 OT prospect in the country. Based on size, athleticism, and level of hs competition, our 10 commits are legitimate SEC prospects.

These players are OVing UK this weekend-

Jermiel Atkins, OL, Dayton, OH
Jaiden Braker, LB, Snellville, GA
Kalen Edwards, DL, Dyersburg, TN
Dejerrian Miller, WR, St Louis, MO
Nicholas Smith, DL, Monroe, GA (UK commit)
Cedric Works, LB, Clayton, OH

Smith committed to UK yesterday. All six of these prospects are important targets. It is widely believed that other thus far unreported prospects are also visiting UK this weekend, which remains to be seen.
Jermiel Atkins is listed as a 6-8 290 OT that looks to be a lock for UK. Predictions of where he might go is close to 100% UK. He said Tulsa the school that has been on him the most and then UK. VA Tech has also been recruiting with a few others. He called UK a 'tremendous overall school' and a 'powerhouse school.' Said to be one of the most athletic OT's in the mid west, he also plays basketball. 247 has Atkins as the number 40 OT and said he has 'tremendous upside.'

Jermiel Atkins is listed as a 6-8 290 OT that looks to be a lock for UK. Predictions of where he might go is close to 100% UK. He said Tulsa the school that has been on him the most and then UK. VA Tech has also been recruiting with a few others. He called UK a 'tremendous overall school' and a 'powerhouse school.' Said to be one of the most athletic OT's in the mid west, he also plays basketball. 247 has Atkins as the number 40 OT and said he has 'tremendous upside.'

Atkins only took two OVs, to UK and VA Tech. UK received his final OV last weekend. Earlier, he cancelled a scheduled OV to AZ St. He never scheduled an OV to Tulsa. I'm not questioning whether Tulsa wanted him, but Tulsa won't figure in his decision.

The state of OH is producing a strong 2025 senior class. Like you and others here, I believe UK will sign a strong 2025 class from OH, and Atkins will be one of them. I also remain optimistic about Works and Galloway, and I think our chances of getting Lennon are still somewhat better than I believed a couple of days ago.

Atkins only took two OVs, to UK and VA Tech. UK received his final OV last weekend. Earlier, he cancelled a scheduled OV to AZ St. He never scheduled an OV to Tulsa. I'm not questioning whether Tulsa wanted him, but Tulsa won't figure in his decision.

The state of OH is producing a strong 2025 senior class. Like you and others here, I believe UK will sign a strong 2025 class from OH, and Atkins will be one of them. I also remain optimistic about Works and Galloway, and I think our chances of getting Lennon are still somewhat better than I believed a couple of days ago.
His comment on Tulsa was they had stayed in contact with him the most over time. Has been mentioned that Ohio this year for us not just quantity but quality also. Wouldn't be surprised if we got Lennon. Marrow has been on him a pretty long time. Not sure what OH St is doing with him.

Marsh has always been a difficult recruiting task for UK, but we got an OV. MI received his final OV so they have the advantage. I'm not sure if maybe you are throwing in the towel too early on Kalen Edwards. According to online commenter Josh Edwards, Kalen Edwards had a great visit to UK over the weekend and liked how Coach Stewart explained his role in our defense. Edwards is still uncommitted and, AFAIK, hasn't scheduled an annoucement.

Marsh has always been a difficult recruiting task for UK, but we got an OV. MI received his final OV so they have the advantage. I'm not sure if maybe you are throwing in the towel too early on Kalen Edwards. According to online commenter Josh Edwards, Kalen Edwards had a great visit to UK over the weekend and liked how Coach Stewart explained his role in our defense. Edwards is still uncommitted and, AFAIK, hasn't scheduled an annoucement.
I’m not throwing in the towel on Edwards. I should have put may not have made up enough. I was going off of something I read from JR but he said he was seeking more info but hadn’t got anything. Hopefully that changes.

I’m not throwing in the towel on Edwards. I should have put may not have made up enough. I was going off of something I read from JR but he said he was seeking more info but hadn’t got anything. Hopefully that changes.
As you and I know so well, all these players are heavily recruited. At this level, there is a ton of tough competition that doesn't give up. Yesterday I thought some people including the media were getting too far out over their skis by saying UK would get 4-5 new commits in the next couple of days. Maybe some of that was excessive enthusiasm. We may end up getting most of the players in question eventually, but maybe not in the next couple of days.

As for Marsh, I thought our best chance was due to his friendship with Ferguson. If not for the Shorts hire, we would never have gotten his OV. Marsh had a very positive visit to UK, but the competition for his commitment is brutal.

As for Edwards, I still think we have a pretty good chance. Auburn is the competition. Edwards already decommitted from Auburn once. Now they are pushing to get him back, and I'm sure they are throwing a ton of NIL $$ at him. But he had a great OV to UK over the weekend and he sees himself playing in Coach White's 3-3-5 defense. So we will see what happens. This is never easy. Win a few, lose a few.

Reactions: JASUN74 and JC-3
Just saw expert conjecture that Kentucky is on the verge of losing J. Campbell to Alabama. Anyone buying it?
Who knows, the claim out of his camp is that he wants to stay close to home, close to his family, giving UK an advantage. Let's see if Alabama is willing to move his family to Tuscaloosa. That used to be a serious violation of NCAA rules. Nowadays there are no rules so everything is fair game.

Who knows, the claim out of his camp is that he wants to stay close to home, close to his family, giving UK an advantage. Let's see if Alabama is willing to move his family to Tuscaloosa. That used to be a serious violation of NCAA rules. Nowadays there are no rules so everything is fair game.

I don't see revenue sharing being the same thing as no rules. I would say the rules are in flux. But there is questioning today whether Alabama is taking Campbell from Kentucky by convincing him to play there.

I can’t say I would ever blame a kid for going to Alabama (UGA, etc). But given the state of UK football and the defensive guys we have produced, I can’t see the “need” to go to a “bigger” program.

A college national title is basically what Alabama can provide that UK can’t. If you’re good enough, you’re going to the league no matter what. You’re playing the same competition. Plus you have the in-state network after school.

His decision, but I would think Wandale would be in his ear about all of this

I can’t say I would ever blame a kid for going to Alabama (UGA, etc). But given the state of UK football and the defensive guys we have produced, I can’t see the “need” to go to a “bigger” program.

A college national title is basically what Alabama can provide that UK can’t. If you’re good enough, you’re going to the league no matter what. You’re playing the same competition. Plus you have the in-state network after school.

His decision, but I would think Wandale would be in his ear about all of this

Wandale didn't pick Kentucky either. He had to learn the lesson the hard way. It's his life, and he can do what he wants. I believe this is a dead period.

Re Campbell and the national "experts" it's pretty simple. Pandering to their subscribers they're telling him: "Go to Bama and we'll make you a 5*, go to UK and we'll make you a 3*." They've been known to tell kids before they were too good to go to UK.

Mmmmm.

If you look at our commitment list and recent transfers in and out, I’m not sure we are lacking in NIL.

If we were poverty stricken, as many seem to think, why are our stars not jumping ship for greener pastures?

And why have our last two 4 Star commitments come from players from
Alabama and Texas?
We play in the SEC, where the top programs take no prisoners. I’m sure you don’t think our NIL is even close to Bama, Auburn, tenn etc. YOU know better than that Hack.

With who they have committed and are still chasing I doubt Bama is overwhelming Campbell with NIL

If this is what happens it is just a brighter lights, bigger crowds, more wins thing

Reactions: catben
In this case, I don't think that is it. It is being reported by typically reliable sources that NIL money is not the issue with Campbell. They are saying he has been convinced that he wants to play for AL and go to school there.

The crystal ball predictions for AL are troubling. But Campbell is still uncommitted. Under these circumstances, the longer Campbell waits to announce, the more time to think it over again and maybe shift back to UK. Hopefully. The thing is, this isn't over until he signs in December.

Re Campbell and the national "experts" it's pretty simple. Pandering to their subscribers they're telling him: "Go to Bama and we'll make you a 5*, go to UK and we'll make you a 3*." They've been known to tell kids before they were too good to go to UK.
Not in this case.

In this case, I don't think that is it. It is being reported by typically reliable sources that NIL money is not the issue with Campbell. They are saying he has been convinced that he wants to play for AL and go to school there.

The crystal ball predictions for AL are troubling. But Campbell is still uncommitted. Under these circumstances, the longer Campbell waits to announce, the more time to think it over again and maybe shift back to UK. Hopefully. The thing is, this isn't over until he signs in December.
In this case, you may be right. I was responding to someone who said Bama only has the chance of a championship over us. I responded also they have more NIL powder.

Over the weekend, I expressed my concerns about irrational exuberance. I have never believed an avalanche of many immediate commitments was forthcoming. My latest review of the current situation says UK is likely to receive commitments from Cedric Works, Bryan Auguste, Jermiel Atkins, and Isaac Sowells sooner or later. We have a good chance to get Edwards and Galloway as well, but no slam dunk. Getting Edwards, if it happens, should receive widespread approval in our fan base because it would be very important for the future of our DL. Jaiden Braker is saying very positive things about his OV to UK and that is encouraging. I haven't heard anything at all this week, good or bad, about Dejerrian Miller, Samaritan Reed, Kamara Williams, Brody Lennon, or Christian Gass. It looks like Andrew Marsh may be a MI lean now, but he is still uncommitted.

In this case, you may be right. I was responding to someone who said Bama only has the chance of a championship over us. I responded also they have more NIL powder.
In this case, I am confident I am giving you an accurate assessment on Campbell. That is not to suggest your basic premise is wrong in other cases.

And tanner still didn’t play
Yeah, it just makes me wonder if that situation has been pointed out to him. The earlier and more he plays the better chance to play in the pro's. Maybe he chooses winning more over that. I doubt he truly knows the number of semi pro's he will be competing against for playing time. He didn't even start playing football till a couple of years ago. Have to think he already has a lot football experience to make up. And compounding that with the competition he will have for playing time, it just seems he would be taking a big chance on what his future could be. Of course I am bias, but a player like this would seem to fit better at our place. The competition for playing time would not be near as great, we have proven big time developing coaches on that side of the ball that in time will make him the best he can be and planting solid roots here can only help him life after football.

Yeah, it just makes me wonder if that situation has been pointed out to him. The earlier and more he plays the better chance to play in the pro's. Maybe he chooses winning more over that. I doubt he truly knows the number of semi pro's he will be competing against for playing time. He didn't even start playing football till a couple of years ago. Have to think he already has a lot football experience to make up. And compounding that with the competition he will have for playing time, it just seems he would be taking a big chance on what his future could be. Of course I am bias, but a player like this would seem to fit better at our place. The competition for playing time would not be near as great, we have proven big time developing coaches on that side of the ball that in time will make him the best he can be and planting solid roots here can only help him life after football.
Makes me wonder if the whole "staying close to home" stuff was so much BS....or Bama will move the family which I suspect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT