ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2025 Recruiting

So as of right now, the most possible and most intriguing prospects on defense that we have a good chance to land are Edwards, Campbell and N Smith for the DL. Works either edge or ILB. Christian Gass a LB. And Galloway in the defensive backfield. Gass looks like the least likely of that bunch but he did say the one time he came to UK he really enjoyed it and liked the coaches enough that he would probably take an official visit. Any other high profile to add here?

Some actively recruited 2025 UK defensive prospects-

Martels Carter (UK commit)
Andrew Purcell (UK commit)
Dawayne Galloway
Maison Dunn (Ole MS commit)
Desir twins
Christian Gass
Jaiden Braker
Cedric Works
Javeon Campbell
Nicholas Smith
Kalen Edwards
Laderion Williams

I posted a "mock 1.0" class recently and it is already largely wrong. Such is the unpredictability of recruiting (as well as my own inability to predict it). But if I have to guess now, we already have commits from Carter and Purcell and I expect Smith and Campbell to commit to UK soon. If we get Works and Edwards, that's big. And we are still in the running for Galloway, Gass, and Braker. Now there is some online gossip that Ja'kayden Ferguson wants to take practice reps at CB.
Edwards stands out big time because of their just not being a whole lot of 6-5 340 guys to get that can play at the SEC level. With Walker probably gone getting Edwards to go with Silver and hopefully Jackson the NG position would continue being a strength in the conference. Would be nice to get in the mode of having three legit monster NG's on the roster every season to pad losses to injury and graduations.

Edwards stands out big time because of their just not being a whole lot of 6-5 340 guys to get that can play at the SEC level. With Walker probably gone getting Edwards to go with Silver and hopefully Jackson the NG position would continue being a strength in the conference. Would be nice to get in the mode of having three legit monster NG's on the roster every season to pad losses to injury and graduations.

We kinda assume Kalen Edwards would become a zero tech at UK because that is a long term need. But, like Walker, Edwards might be able to play as a 3 tech in Coach White's system. Something to consider.

Sounds like WR prospect Andrew Marsh had a really good visit to UK this week and is also a close friend of UK commit Ja'Kayden Ferguson. Marsh says he has a great relationship with Coach Shorts. He is a multisport athlete. Marsh has a very strong offer sheet including at least 11 reported SEC and 7 B10 offers. That's a lot to overcome, but UK is squarely in the competition for Marsh's commitment.

My opinion is worth diddly squat, but I'd be very very happy with a commit from Spike Sowells. Yeah not a need position, might be limited to C, yeah not pursued by top programs. But getting one of the best HS kids from Ky & the city of Louisville still matters. Plus Dave Doren & NC St do a good job like Stoops identifying unheralded talent who can compete against Clemson and FSU.

If he is here & can't beat out the other Cs then he will move on in a couple yrs. The days of guys not developing and taking up schollys for 5 yrs are over.

Quisenberry did not OV this past weekend
Which suggests Quisenberry does not hold a committable UK offer. Ferguson's commitment may have affected this. I think our coaches want Marsh and-or Miller but are also still interested to one degree or another in Bowman. They may feel they are in good shape with Miller.

Reactions: JASUN74
My opinion is worth diddly squat, but I'd be very very happy with a commit from Spike Sowells. Yeah not a need position, might be limited to C, yeah not pursued by top programs. But getting one of the best HS kids from Ky & the city of Louisville still matters.

I'm really not so sure about that. How long has it been since a football player from Jefferson Co played a significant role in our football program, and how many of them have flopped? I'm not saying Sowells will flop. I am pushing back against the narrative that Louisville still matters. The only important Jefferson Co product I can think of is Weaver but Weaver is actually a Ft Lauderdale product who relocated to Louisville.

Cincinnati matters. Cleveland matters. Nashville matters. As a recruiting territory, Jefferson Co hasn't mattered for a long time. I wish it did, but there are obvious reasons why it no longer does and we have discussed them here.

If he is here & can't beat out the other Cs then he will move on in a couple yrs. The days of guys not developing and taking up schollys for 5 yrs are over.

I don't think that's true either. Some players leave, but a significant number still stick around for 5 years. The roster is public. And it has never been suggested here to my knowledge that Sowells isn't a legitimate Power 4 prospect. I think he is. But the number of scholarships is finite, and UK has real positional needs like OT, WR, DL, and DB that cannot be so easily dismissed.

Reactions: maroon79
Which suggests Quisenberry does not hold a committable UK offer. Ferguson's commitment may have affected this. I think our coaches want Marsh and-or Miller but are also still interested to one degree or another in Bowman. They may feel they are in good shape with Miller.
Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I think UK is recruiting WRs this go-around with the likelihood Brown/Key leave after this season. Whatever, they seem to have the attention of some pretty good WRs.

Reactions: maroon79
Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I think UK is recruiting WRs this go-around with the likelihood Brown/Key leave after this season. Whatever, they seem to have the attention of some pretty good WRs.
There is no chance Dane Key is three and done. Although I don't doubt his raw athletic tools, Key has a lot of work to do. I doubt BB will be three and done either, but his chances are better than Key's chances because BB has NFL speed (but not NFL size). The reason UK has the attention of good WR prospects now is because of Daikiel Shorts and Bush Hamdan. The two TX prospects, Ferguson and Marsh, OVed here only because of Coach Shorts. Coach Marrow is recruiting Quintin Simmons but Simmons is from Withrow hs and known to like Coach Hamdan's offense. Even with Key and BB likely back in 2025, our WR room is short of players (especially outside receivers) and playing opportunities will be readily available.

It's worth mentioning here that Coach Coen used a lot of "12 personnel" (two TEs). Part of that was because he had an NFL background, but part of it was because UK's playable TE roster was deeper compared to our playable WR roster. AFAICT, Hamdan uses more 3 and 4 WR sets, as long as he has the quality depth. FWIW, Brody Lennon commented today that he knows he would be used sometimes as a wideout if he comes to UK.

Last edited:
There is no chance Dane Key is three and done. Although I don't doubt his raw athletic tools, Key has a lot of work to do. I doubt BB will be three and done either, but his chances are better than Key's chances because BB has NFL speed (but not NFL size). The reason UK has the attention of good WR prospects now is because of Daikiel Shorts and Bush Hamdan. The two TX prospects, Ferguson and Marsh, OVed here only because of Coach Shorts. Coach Marrow is recruiting Quintin Simmons but Simmons is from Withrow hs and known to like Coach Hamdan's offense. Even with Key and BB likely back in 2025, our WR room is short of players (especially outside receivers) and playing opportunities will be readily available.
Didn't say they were NFL ready, I said they'll likely leave and they will. Don't doubt for a minute both need work to get there, that's true. Brown's speed and return ability will get him a look. Key's toughness and durability will get him a look. True, UK's short on numbers. Guy we don't hear about much is Maclin and he's a key to whatever success UK's O has in '24. Maclin's a thousand yard receiver, it's a must he stays healthy and on the field.

Didn't say they were NFL ready, I said they'll likely leave and they will. Don't doubt for a minute both need work to get there, that's true. Brown's speed and return ability will get him a look. Key's toughness and durability will get him a look. True, UK's short on numbers. Guy we don't hear about much is Maclin and he's a key to whatever success UK's O has in '24. Maclin's a thousand yard receiver, it's a must he stays healthy and on the field.
Maclin is a slotR.

I am pretty sure BB will be back in 2025, and even surer that Key will probably be back. You never know, of course. Every college football player dreams of the NFL. I can't get inside Dane Key's head. But if he wants a chance to get drafted and have a significant NFL career, he will be back to work another season with Coach Shorts. But OTOH, if he isn't committed to football, he won't even last at UK through 2024.

Sounds like WR prospect Andrew Marsh had a really good visit to UK this week and is also a close friend of UK commit Ja'Kayden Ferguson. Marsh says he has a great relationship with Coach Shorts. He is a multisport athlete. Marsh has a very strong offer sheet including at least 11 reported SEC and 7 B10 offers. That's a lot to overcome, but UK is squarely in the competition for Marsh's commitment.
DJ Miller visiting this weekend. At 6-3 the WR is another high talent we are pursuing. And just saw that Kamare Williams is also visiting. He is a 6-1 WR that is committed to Arkansas. Was also offered by Ole Miss. Like the loading up of WR's.

Last edited:
Some actively recruited 2025 UK defensive prospects-

Martels Carter (UK commit)
Andrew Purcell (UK commit)
Dawayne Galloway
Maison Dunn (Ole MS commit)
Desir twins
Christian Gass
Jaiden Braker
Cedric Works
Javeon Campbell
Nicholas Smith
Kalen Edwards
Laderion Williams
Smith is suppose to announce his commitment this weekend. Edwards visiting this weekend. On the scale of Deon Walker importance for us. Big Cedric Works also will be here. The edge I think is another Marrow guy with him being from OH. Feel pretty good about him, would be a major get.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rembrandt90
Are we talking about Jake Cook? He already holds a UK offer. It looks like he really wants to go to OH St, although we don't know if Coach Day will take him.

It's still June. I'm not sure we should conclude in mid-June that we are struggling. We certainly did struggle when Yenser was here. No doubt about that. But we have commitments from Strey and Kattus now, both of whom look like legitimate SEC prospects to me. I like Atkins' upside and would like to see him play here. Atkins will OV UK next weekend. We don't know yet what Sowell and Auguste will do, but I like them both. Wolf can talk with other prospects all summer and bring them for visits in the fall. Let's keep in mind that Marc Nave committed to UK on November 16.
What do you know about Jason Ekpuroh sp? Is he visiting this weekend? An OT at 6-6 340 from TN. Someone said we like this guy? Wolf has been following him. Listed as a OLT but can also play DL. Been hanging out in Canada before last season.

Last edited:
What do you know about Jason Ekpuroh sp? Is he visiting this weekend? An OT at 6-6 340 from TN. Someone said we like this guy? Wolf has been following him. Listed as a OLT but can also play DL. Been hanging out in Canada before last season.
Ekpuroh is really raw. The school he plays for, The Webb School in mid-TN, should not be confused with Knoxville Webb, who has been in existence for a lot longer. Both are private schools. Ekpuroh's Webb was 0-10 last year, got kicked around pretty good. Haven't found any film on him. Apparently UK, Vandy, EKU are the schools following him. Doubtful he's done the camp thing. Knox Webb is a pretty strong program, huge difference between the 2 programs. Just guessing, Ekpuroh is probably a major project, needs a lot of prep time. Could UK get him as a PWO?

Ekpuroh is really raw. The school he plays for, The Webb School in mid-TN, should not be confused with Knoxville Webb, who has been in existence for a lot longer. Both are private schools. Ekpuroh's Webb was 0-10 last year, got kicked around pretty good. Haven't found any film on him. Apparently UK, Vandy, EKU are the schools following him. Doubtful he's done the camp thing. Knox Webb is a pretty strong program, huge difference between the 2 programs. Just guessing, Ekpuroh is probably a major project, needs a lot of prep time. Could UK get him as a PWO?
He has a OV this weekend. The desir brothers did not visit last weekend

Ekpurah’s junior season highlights are pretty underwhelming. Also looks like playing against 5’10 175lb defensive ends. 🤣

Jason Ekperuoh, OL, Bell, Buckle, TN

6'6" 340# native of Quebec. Plays OT for the Webb School (Bell Buckle, TN), which went winless last year. He has not publicly reported any scholarship offers, and I'm not yet convinced he holds a committable UK offer. On3 has reported that Coach Wolf is recruiting Ekperuoh and that he will OV UK next weekend. We will see if it happens.

msn.com/en-us/sports/other/under-the-radar-25-ot-jason-ekperuoh-schedules-kentucky-official-visit/ar-BB1mblre

Jason Ekperuoh, OL, Bell, Buckle, TN

6'6" 340# native of Quebec. Plays OT for the Webb School (Bell Buckle, TN), which went winless last year. He has not publicly reported any scholarship offers, and I'm not yet convinced he holds a committable UK offer. On3 has reported that Coach Wolf is recruiting Ekperuoh and that he will OV UK next weekend. We will see if it happens.

msn.com/en-us/sports/other/under-the-radar-25-ot-jason-ekperuoh-schedules-kentucky-official-visit/ar-BB1mblre
Finally found some film. This player runs pretty well, uses his hands well but doesn't have an especially quick first step. Would liked to have seen defensive film, wonder if UK would consider him as a NT?

Reactions: Rembrandt90
Ekpurah’s junior season highlights are pretty underwhelming. Also looks like playing against 5’10 175lb defensive ends. 🤣
Always with the negative stuff, man. You can't stop. The Webb School had a lousy football team last year. Maybe that means Ekperuoh isn't very good, or maybe it explains why other college coaches haven't seen him. We don't know which.

Which leads me to a couple other observations. People like Pipesealer may follow their own tendencies and conclude the recruitment of Ekperuoh (since he is unranked) means UK is desperate. SEC recruiters don't get desperate in June. Jermiel Atkins has not visited yet and may be a UK lean. Bryan Auguste and Isaac Sowells have not announced yet. There are still six months until the December signing date. Last year, Marc Nave announced in November, flipping to UK. There will be new names in the fall, and it seems like I need to keep pointing that out. If Wolf likes Ekperuoh in June, which still remains to be seen, it's because they think they see something in him.

Here's another thing. Ekperuoh plays OT and DT. If Wolf is recruiting him, that would suggest they like him on the OL. However, Wolf has more connections in central TN than UK's other coaches and has been known before to recruit other positions besides OL inside TN. What if they like him as an interior defensive lineman (think Bohanna, who was also very lightly recruited)? I'm not saying this is the case. I'm only saying let's wait and find out what is actually going on here before labeling him underwhelming in public. FWIW.

Re Desir brothers, could that mean UK feels good about Campbell/Works?
It's not impossible. It is likely that our coaches have felt pretty good about Campbell for weeks, but don't know what Works will do. It's June. The signing date is 6 months away. I can't see any obvious reason why Stoops wouldn't have wanted the Desir twins to visit or why the twins wouldn't have wanted to visit. But if I have to guess, the twins have decided for some reason that UK doesn't meet their criteria. Maybe they want to stay closer to home. Maybe another school's staff is making promises. Who knows, maybe they caught COVID.

EVERY high school Offensive Lineman is a few years away.

I’d take Wolford and his recruiting/coaching over anyone in that spot at the moment.
He will coach them up.
Coaching/Development is so important today and I may actually favor that over recruiting. Think a good coach can coach and make up at least one star in talent. Still need find some good ones though.

Heard from a buddy we had the #3 DB in the country in town. Anyone know who this might be? Blake Woodby?

Heard from a buddy we had the #3 DB in the country in town. Anyone know who this might be? Blake Woodby?

IDK a name but it wouldn't surprise me. Now that the five-OV limit has been lifted, prospects have so much more flexibility. This late in June, expect a few surprises because the dead period is approaching and some players want to get in one more visit while they can.

Those Knoxville private schools dominated the private school league for years in TN. But lately McCallie and Baylor have taken over and have played each other in the finals several times with McCallie dominating the series now. I don't know how many of the private schools are boarding schools in TN, but Baylor and McCallie both are and they offer full rides. My lady friend's granddaughter was on a full ride for basketball and softball at Girls Prep School, sister school to McCallie because it's an all male school, Baylor accepts females.

IDK a name but it wouldn't surprise me. Now that the five-OV limit has been lifted, prospects have so much more flexibility. This late in June, expect a few surprises because the dead period is approaching and some players want to get in one more visit while they can
Friend doesnt follow recruiting that close and didnt get a name but was told that from the the one person that would know😉

Those Knoxville private schools dominated the private school league for years in TN. But lately McCallie and Baylor have taken over and have played each other in the finals several times with McCallie dominating the series now. I don't know how many of the private schools are boarding schools in TN, but Baylor and McCallie both are and they offer full rides. My lady friend's granddaughter was on a full ride for basketball and softball at Girls Prep School, sister school to McCallie because it's an all male school, Baylor accepts females.
McCallie has had a bunch of Canadians join their sports programs of late, the guy we were discussing, Jason Ekpuroh, is Canadian....wonder how he got past McCallie?

There's been an explosion of private schools in TN of late, especially in Mid-TN. Ensworth, created by the Frist family(Former US Senator) and Covenant Health fame, out of Nashville, has had state championships in various sports including HS football. It's become a hobby among TN powerbrokers to see who can go private, and win a state championship, the quickest.

Knox Cath played in the public division intil the last few years and now really isn’t competitive . It was the Nashville area schools that have dominated it for years. McCallie took over 5 years ago ago and has won 4 of 5. I don’t remember a Knoxville private school ever winning that division.

Knox Cath played in the public division intil the last few years and now really isn’t competitive . It was the Nashville area schools that have dominated it for years. McCallie took over 5 years ago ago and has won 4 of 5. I don’t remember a Knoxville private school ever winning that division.
There is a school near Nashville that has produced quite a few SEC players, I can't remember his name, but a QB/punter that signed with UF years ago. Quite a few private schools, at least the name sounds like a private school, that are producing P4 athletes now, we have recruited a few the last couple cycles. I think the population is really growing in that area, vols will find out how hard it is to recruit instate kids who have only been instate kids for 2-4 years. But several schools with Academy attached to their name, I just assumed they were private schools. I don't know how much McCallie is recruiting local kids, but they have gotten really good the last few years, 5 years ago it was almost 20k to attend and not be a boarder, being a boarder was over 20k 25 years ago. I am in Dalton, about 20 miles south of Chattanooga, at one time, the 3 big private schools, Baylor, McCallie and GPS, had buses that would come down I 75 and pick up kids and return them in the afternoon.

There is a school near Nashville that has produced quite a few SEC players, I can't remember his name, but a QB/punter that signed with UF years ago. Quite a few private schools, at least the name sounds like a private school, that are producing P4 athletes now, we have recruited a few the last couple cycles. I think the population is really growing in that area, vols will find out how hard it is to recruit instate kids who have only been instate kids for 2-4 years. But several schools with Academy attached to their name, I just assumed they were private schools. I don't know how much McCallie is recruiting local kids, but they have gotten really good the last few years, 5 years ago it was almost 20k to attend and not be a boarder, being a boarder was over 20k 25 years ago. I am in Dalton, about 20 miles south of Chattanooga, at one time, the 3 big private schools, Baylor, McCallie and GPS, had buses that would come down I 75 and pick up kids and return them in the afternoon.
Private schools running busses is common, has been going on for years. See my post above about Ensworth in Mid-TN. And you're right about the "Academy" schools in Mid-TN, Montgomery Bell Academy, Donelson Academy, Brentwood Academy, Friendship Academy have been around for decades.

No surprise to anyone here. Nicholas Smith has committed to UK. Smith has been a UK lean for several weeks.

UK's current 2025 recruiting class-

Martels Carter, DB, Paducah KY
Marquise Davis, RB, Cleveland, OH
Ja'kayden Ferguson, WR, Missouri City, TX
Tucker Kattus, OL, Cincinnati, OH
Andrew Purcell, DB, Enterprise, AL
Stone Saunders, QB, Harrisburg, PA
Quintin Simmons, slotR, Cincinnati, OH
Nicholas Smith, DL, Monroe, GA
Darrin Strey, OL, Paw Paw, MI
Brennen Ward, QB, Columbus, OH

Strong start for our class. More commitments to come in the next week.

Last edited:
No surprise to anyone here. Nicholas Smith has committed to UK. Smith has been a UK lean for several weeks.

UK's current 2025 recruiting class-

Martels Carter, DB, Paducah KY
Marquise Davis, RB, Cleveland, OH
Ja'kayden Ferguson, WR, Missouri City, TX
Tucker Kattus, OL, Cincinnati, OH
Andrew Purcell, DB, Enterprise, AL
Stone Saunders, QB, Harrisburg, PA
Quintin Simmons, slotR, Cincinnati, OH
Nicholas Smith, DL, Monroe, GA
Darrin Strey, OL, Paw Paw, MI
Brennan Ward, QB, Columbus, OH

Strong start for our class. More commitments to come in the next week.
Really like Smith, good first step, plays angry. Time in S&C and thinking he grows into a DT.

Wishing Quisenberry luck at WV, should make a nice player for Neal Brown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT