ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2025 Recruiting

Hedrick has the look of a RT, with strength, leverage, and decent athleticism. Hedrick could play RT or RG, but my assumption would be that Marc Nave is likely to control the starting RG job for multiple seasons.

I suspect Tucker Kattus might become a LG, but that is very preliminary. He is talented enough to play on either side, but I like his profile on the blind side where he would be a key run blocker when our RB cuts back from the running gap to the left. The Kattus boys are all strong run blockers, but Tucker also shows pretty good footwork for a large man.

Recruiting involves an assessment of tools and upside. Strey has the frame of a LT. High cut, long arms. That doesn't mean he will be successfully developed into a LT since it requires development of great footwork and lateral movement for blindside pass protection. It's a learning process. But Strey is a guy who Coach Wolf could make a serious effort to develop on the left side because Strey seems to have SEC upside on the left. Wood and Atkins also have that LT body type. But Strey is a stronger athlete at this stage. It would be nice to have some quality depth over there for a change.
Would agree on all of that. Would love to get both Hedrick and Strey. Think that would help get our OL back in line with quality depth for the future.

Yes, great news for us. As expected by multiple posters on this thread and discussed quite a bit recently, 6'7" 300# OT prospect Darrin Strey (Paw Paw, MI) just committed to UK.

Strey is being recruited by Coach Wolford. He reportedly holds at least four SEC and nine B10 offers. His father serves as the head football coach at Paw Paw hs.

Strey is another multisport athlete. Football, basketball, track and field. Reportedly a competitive power lifter.

Yes, great news for us. As expected by multiple posters on this thread and discussed quite a bit recently, 6'7" 300# OT prospect Darrin Strey (Paw Paw, MI) just committed to UK.

Strey is being recruited by Coach Wolford. He reportedly holds at least four SEC and nine B10 offers. His father serves as the head football coach at Paw Paw hs.
Since Pops is coach maybe they should change the name of the school to Pa-Pa. 😉

Current 2025 UK class-

Martels Carter, DB, Paducah, KY
Marquise Davis, RB, Cleveland, OH
Tucker Kattus, OL, Cincinnati, OH
Stone Saunders, QB, Harrisburg, PA
Quintin Simmons, slotR, Cincinnati, OH
Darrin Strey, OL, Paw Paw, MI
Brennen Ward, QB, Columbus, OH

This looks like a foundation for an excellent Stoops class. FWIW, at this point, 6 offensive and only 1 defensive commitments, so it would be good to snag commitments from Nicholas Smith, Javeon Campbell, and maybe Dewayne Galloway.

Meanwhile, Taren Hedrick is scheduled to choose between UK and Ole Miss in the next week. And I won't be surprised if other unexpected OVs to UK get scheduled during the next 2 weeks.

Get a look at the guns on Strey. Looking forward to watching him make some pancakes here. Since his daddy is a football coach, maybe we draw more players from his area in the future.
Yes Sir. He looks like a big ol mean young man. This class has me thinking big and hopefully it gets a little better next week. Can’t say enough about this staff. Of course we can’t be sure, but I’m thinking this could end up becoming our best class ever, (on paper), in my lifetime. Lmao, I have to say again, the SEC is a flat out beast. Ha.

Get a look at the guns on Strey.

I was going to post that!!

This guy is huge, and developed.

Having a father and older brother in the business, is bound to have benefitted his development.

Read his statement on X.

He mentions the BBW!!

To reiterate others’ thoughts, 2025 is shaping up as a great class!

Reactions: UKfirst and JASUN74
In a surprise for some of us, Taren Hedrick just committed to Ole MS.

Also, Jayden Clark has canceled his UK OV that had been scheduled for later this month. So his UK recruitment may be over.

Really disappointing whiff on Hedrick.
Yes, I sure do agree. I had Hedrick listed in my mock 1.0 UK class. But no staff ever signs every player they want. The recruiting season is just getting started. Six months until the December signing date. This should be one of Stoops' best classes.

Reactions: JASUN74 and JC-3
Following is a "mock 1.0" 2025 UK class. There will be a "mock 2.0" in August or September, and a "mock 3.0" in the fall. This is offered simply to stimulate discussion. It is not intended as a firm prediction, because none of us (especially me) really has any idea at this early point what our December class will look like. As happens every year, there will be new names on UK's recruiting radar in the fall that we aren't even thinking about now.

This is not intended to be a wish list. If it was a wish list, it would include the best hs prospects in OH and the south. So it is just a reflexion of our currently reported recruiting momentum. For now, we will discuss in terms of a 20-man class although there is no telling how many scholarships will actually be invested in this class. We know Stoops will hold back some scholarships for transfers again.

A pre-OV "mock 1.0" 2025 UK recruiting class projection.

Offense

1. Stone Saunders, QB, Harrisburg, PA
2. Brennen Ward, QB, Columbus, OH
3. Marquise Davis, RB, Cleveland, OH
4. Quintin Simmons, WR, Cincinnati, OH
5. Tucker Kattus, OL, Cincinnati, OH
6. Dejerrian Miller, WR, St Louis, MO
7. Brody Lennon, TE, Gates Mills, OH
8. Darrin Strey, OL, Paw Paw, MI
9. Taren Hedrick, OL, Naples, FL
10. Jermiel Atkins, OL, Dayton, OH

Defense

1. Martels Carter, DB, Paducah, KY
2. Dalen Penson, DB, Tyrone, GA
3. Dyllon Williams, DB, Demopolis, AL
4. Noah King, DB, Hamilton, OH
5. Dewayne Galloway, DB, Columbus, OH
6. Javeon Campbell, DL, Frankfort, KY
7. Nicholas Smith, DL, Monroe, GA
8. Caleb Bell, DL, Alpharetta, GA
9. Cedric Works, LB, Clayton, OH
10. Jaiden Braker, LB, Snellville, GA

For those wondering why I think we have a reasonable shot at Caleb Bell, UK's coaches just offered him a scholarship less than a month ago. So this is a new recruitment with some momentum. The competition is basically NC St and AR, and there are some signs that our coaches are serious. We need interior defensive linemen. Bell is an interior defensive lineman, and his father is former Pittsburgh Steeler Kendrell Bell. My instinct on this may be wrong, but I think our coaches will press for an OV.

Jaiden Braker is being directly recruited by Coach White. Braker can play inside or outside and has the athleticism and frame to play Will LB or Alex Afari's hybrid LB role. Braker is a fit for Coach White. Basically, SCar and NC St are our competition. There are already "medium" crystal ball picks for SCar, but they are all logged by SCar insiders. But UK gets his final OV on June 21. So if Braker shows in Lexington on June 21, Coach White's chances are good. This is a guess, but not a wild one. You never know about recruiting.

There are no guarantees that "mock 3.0" next fall will look a whole lot like "mock 1.0" this weekend, because recruiting is among the least predictable of human behaviors. This is only one representation of how our recruiting momentum looks right now, prior to the OVs.
Dalen Penson to GA Tech.

Reactions: JASUN74
Samari Reed, WR, Pompano Beach, FL

This is interesting. Reed, 6'2" 185#, is now scheduled to OV UK on June 14. The multisport athlete is being recruited by Coach Mike and Coach Wolford. He reportedly holds at least nine SEC, four ACC, and three B10 offers. He is a hs teammate of Brian Auguste who will OV UK along with Reed the same weekend. Last year these guys played together on one of the best hs football teams in FL.

Samari Reed, WR, Pompano Beach, FL

This is interesting. Reed, 6'2" 185#, is now scheduled to OV UK on June 14. The multisport athlete is being recruited by Coach Mike and Coach Wolford. He reportedly holds at least nine SEC, four ACC, and three B10 offers. He is a hs teammate of Brian Auguste who will OV UK along with Reed the same weekend. Last year these guys played together on one of the best hs football teams in FL.
Montavin Quizenberry is at UK trying out today. Looks like he could end up being a take for UK.

Montavin Quizenberry is at UK trying out today. Looks like he could end up being a take for UK.
What kind of hands does he have? At his size he better be able to catch the ball.

There are a couple of issues. Does UK need another tiny slot receiver? No. The staff has to use each scholarship carefully. Maclin missed all of 2021 with an injury and will probably be able to come back in 2025. Either way, we have a lot of slots. ABS, Brandon White, David Washington, and Quintin Simmons. Simmons can play y or z. Quisenberry is a carbon copy of White. OTOH, we really need more outside receivers. BB, Key, and Farrier will be gone after 2025. Gilmore is the only other pure outside receiver on our current roster, which is why our coaches are going all in on prospect Dejerrian Miller from St Louis. We just found out Samari Reed, a true outside receiver, will OV UK on June 14. We need a couple more outside receivers. Quisenberry is tiny and can't fill an outside role. SEC CBs would jam him at the line of scrimmage and smother him in the route. As a blocker, he would not be useful.

But the other question is how much pressure Coach Stoops might feel to optimize the relationship with Justin Haddix and the Boyle Co staff. Jackson Smith just left, so Tommy Ziesmer is the only former Boyle County player on our current roster. There is no doubt Stoops and Marrow want to sign Seneca Driver. Do they feel taking Quisenberry would help with Driver? I'm guessing no, but who knows?

It's just hard to see Quisenberry being a take in this class, but they are giving him respect and that's a good thing.

There are a couple of issues. Does UK need another tiny slot receiver? No. The staff has to use each scholarship carefully. Maclin missed all of 2021 with an injury and will probably be able to come back in 2025. Either way, we have a lot of slots. ABS, Brandon White, David Washington, and Quintin Simmons. Simmons can play y or z. Quisenberry is a carbon copy of White. OTOH, we really need more outside receivers. BB, Key, and Farrier will be gone after 2025. Gilmore is the only other pure outside receiver on our current roster, which is why our coaches are going all in on prospect Dejerrian Miller from St Louis. We just found out Samari Reed, a true outside receiver, will OV UK on June 14. We need a couple more outside receivers. Quisenberry is tiny and can't fill an outside role. SEC CBs would jam him at the line of scrimmage and smother him in the route. As a blocker, he would not be useful.

But the other question is how much pressure Coach Stoops might feel to optimize the relationship with Justin Haddix and the Boyle Co staff. Jackson Smith just left, so Tommy Ziesmer is the only former Boyle County player on our current roster. There is no doubt Stoops and Marrow want to sign Seneca Driver. Do they feel taking Quisenberry would help with Driver? I'm guessing no, but who knows?

It's just hard to see Quisenberry being a take in this class, but they are giving him respect and that's a good thing.
From what has been reported, they really want Shaun Terry but it appears he may go to Mizz. MQ is their backup to Terry. This isn’t my opinion of what they should but MQ went through a workout to day and it’s been said that he is probably a take.

What kind of hands does he have? At his size he better be able to catch the ball.
I don’t know what kind of hands he has but in HS he has been the best player in KY for a couple years. Can he play in the SEC? Idk he is small.

Everyone with Twitter needs to show our support for Isaac Sowells from Louisville Male.
He just posted a little tease for UK.

From what has been reported, they really want Shaun Terry but it appears he may go to Mizz. MQ is their backup to Terry. This isn’t my opinion of what they should but MQ went through a workout to day and it’s been said that he is probably a take.

I don’t know what kind of hands he has but in HS he has been the best player in KY for a couple years. Can he play in the SEC? Idk he is small.
Rondale Moore was small
Wandale was smal

Just two that came to mind…

Rondale Moore was small
Wandale was smal

Wandale was short and not super fast. He was also thick and super shifty. He had the body to take a lick and keep on going. MQ is only similar in that he is short and shifty. He was a thin frame. He also supposedly ran a laser 4.4 today at UK. Some mentioned that he is similar in size to tank dell that Shorts coached at Houston. He had a great Sr season got drafted In the early rounds. He was having a great rookie year till he got hurt. I’m not saying MQ could be Tank Dell and the SEC is a different animal than where Houston was playing.

I also believe Terry is a MO lean. Even if he isn't, he is another small slot receiver. We need Dejerrian Miller and another long, athletic receiver who can handle playing x or z.

Wandale was short and not super fast. He was also thick and super shifty. He had the body to take a lick and keep on going. MQ is only similar in that he is short and shifty. He was a thin frame. He also supposedly ran a laser 4.4 today at UK. Some mentioned that he is similar in size to tank dell that Shorts coached at Houston. He had a great Sr season got drafted In the early rounds. He was having a great rookie year till he got hurt. I’m not saying MQ could be Tank Dell and the SEC is a different animal than where Houston was playing.

Wandale was mainly a slot receiver. Regardless of straight ahead speed, he was super quick with a high football IQ and great hands. As you suggested, Wandale is a strong, muscular athlete. Quisenberry is (maybe) 5'9" and 165-170#. In order to get Quisenberry open, they would have to play him in the slot and probably put him in presnap motion, because SEC DBs would not allow him a free release. I'm not knocking Quisenberry. He is what he is, and he has been an overachiever at BC hs. But this is a different level. Yes, he reportedly holds offers from MI and Ole MS, although I wonder if those are committable. Maybe they need a slot receiver/punt returner. UK already has a bunch of those. Stoops has already taken 6 offensive commitments and we have other positional needs. I'm just wondering how Stoops can take Washington and Simmons, and still need Quisenberry. Hard to figure. But, of course, we know they want Seneca Driver bad.

Rondale Moore was small
Wandale was smal

There is short, and then there is small. Randall Cobb and Wandale are short, muscular, and really strong. Quisenberry is tiny. Look at it this way. Quisenberry and Brandon White have the same body type, same height, same weight. White can flat out fly, and he comes from good hs competition in Cincinnati. How much is he playing at UK?

Reactions: C.W.S.pipesealer

I definitely agree here but I think Quisenberry can find the field here and become really good. I 100% want to keep the Boyle Co connection as well, they’re doing a fantastic job with the kids and are winners. I know he’s small but he can play I believe. Thanks. Hope we have room and take a chance on him.

I definitely agree here but I think Quisenberry can find the field here and become really good. I 100% want to keep the Boyle Co connection as well, they’re doing a fantastic job with the kids and are winners. I know he’s small but he can play I believe. Thanks. Hope we have room and take a chance on him.

Just judging on Brandon White's career at UK, I am more skeptical than you about Quisenberry in the SEC. Quisenberry is an excellent KY hs player, but White is the same size and faster. There have occasionally been tiny players like Dexter McCluster and Craig Yeast who excelled in the SEC, but not often and not recently. In today's game, with the size and speed of SEC linebackers and defensive backs, it is even more unlikely. I'm not knocking Quisenberry at all, just wondering what UK needs with another Brandon White. White was a football and track star at Archbishop Moeller hs who ran an electronically timed 4.28, but he can't get on the field at UK. We need Dejerrian Miller, Andrew Marsh, Samari Reed, bigger receivers with a large catch radius who can block, leap, and hand-fight SEC DBs.

Last edited:
Just judging on Brandon White's career at UK, I am more skeptical about it than you about Quisenberry in the SEC. Quisenberry is an excellent KY hs player, but White is the same size and faster. There have occasionally been tiny players like Dexter McCluster and Craig Yeast who excelled in the SEC, but not often and not recently. In today's game, with the size and speed of SEC linebackers and defensive backs, it is even more unlikely. I'm not knocking Quisenberry at all, just wondering what UK needs with another Brandon White. White was a football and track star at Archbishop Moeller hs who ran an electronically timed 4.28, but he can't get on the field at UK. We need Dejerrian Miller, Andrew Marsh, Samari Reed, bigger receivers with a large catch radius who can block, leap, and hand-fight SEC DBs.
Yeah I kinda think I’m wanting him more as a fan but I sometimes do that. lol. I do really like his game and he works so hard to get open, has really good hands to. Like you said though we’ve had similar guys that haven’t been able to make the impact we would want so I don’t know. I trust the staff so I’m sure they’ll do what’s best for us. I do agree we need some size for sure with Key having played his way into the position he’s in. Thanks again Rembrandt.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
Yeah I kinda think I’m wanting him more as a fan but I sometimes do that. lol. I do really like his game and he works so hard to get open, has really good hands to. Like you said though we’ve had similar guys that haven’t been able to make the impact we would want so I don’t know. I trust the staff so I’m sure they’ll do what’s best for us. I do agree we need some size for sure with Key having played his way into the position he’s in. Thanks again Rembrandt.

One thing for sure. Stoops and Marrow will do whatever they feel is necessary within the rules to recruit and sign Seneca Driver, a classic, high upside SEC prospect.

Just judging on Brandon White's career at UK, I am more skeptical than you about Quisenberry in the SEC. Quisenberry is an excellent KY hs player, but White is the same size and faster. There have occasionally been tiny players like Dexter McCluster and Craig Yeast who excelled in the SEC, but not often and not recently. In today's game, with the size and speed of SEC linebackers and defensive backs, it is even more unlikely. I'm not knocking Quisenberry at all, just wondering what UK needs with another Brandon White. White was a football and track star at Archbishop Moeller hs who ran an electronically timed 4.28, but he can't get on the field at UK. We need Dejerrian Miller, Andrew Marsh, Samari Reed, bigger receivers with a large catch radius who can block, leap, and hand-fight SEC DBs.
Yeah, I'm skeptical of MQ but do trust the staff. I've seen too many of guys listed as 5'9" 175 lb turn out to be 5'7" 155 lb, not only at UK but at other schools too. It's a gamble taking small guys but could pay off big with development. Maybe they think MQ isn't finished growing.

Brandon White didn’t put up the #s MQ did in HS. I’m not arguing for him. He is ov so I’m there is a good chance he is in our class
Brandon White played against P5 players in almost every game. Has MQ faced a single P5 db while playing at Boyle County?

Brandon White played against P5 players in almost every game. Has MQ faced a single P5 db while playing at Boyle County?
Brandon White didn’t play against P5 guys every game and the teams the teams that did, had a few scattered out. Did he play against better comp? Yes. FD and Corbin had multiple P5 guys and MQ dominated. BW never stood out even when they played lesser comp

Brandon White didn’t play against P5 guys every game and the teams the teams that did, had a few scattered out. Did he play against better comp? Yes. FD and Corbin had multiple P5 guys and MQ dominated. BW never stood out even when they played lesser comp
All the comparisons to Brandon White don’t mean anything.
Same size but there are other characteristics that are different. MQ is dominant in games. MQ may be shiftier than BW.

Here’s another thing not brought up. We do not know if the offense has changed enough to where a guy like MQ is more in demand.

Time will tell and I trust our coaches to make that call.

I see a lot of comments comparing size and speed, but how do BW's and MQ's hands compare? Maybe BW isn't seeing the field because he isn't catching the balls thrown his way in practices. Maybe MQ caught everything in HS and is catching everything thrown his way in "tryouts".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT