ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2023 Recruiting

Probably so. Just don't think it was the deciding factor here. UK by some has been way behind. FSU was trying to say they bought Anglin and Stuart. I honestly don't know what either offered Gilbert. It just seemed he liked the academics there, his friends are there, close to home, and they did just have a 1st Rd DE get drafted.
Ya. I think his friends being there played a huge role. He's talked about how many teammates Purdue has or has committed as a big plus. I think Gilbert will end up being a smaller DT tbh. He's already 270.

Ya. I think his friends being there played a huge role. He's talked about how many teammates Purdue has or has committed as a big plus. I think Gilbert will end up being a smaller DT tbh. He's already 270.
I think he is def a DT. Good luck this year

Reactions: BoilerN
Update on my nephew. Trinity’s kicker Kellan McLaughlin. Trinity snapped Cedar Groves (from Indianapolis area) 30 game win streak in 2 Overtimes. The score was 15-15 at the end of regulation. All 15 points were Kellan’s school record and 2nd in KHSAA, five field goals. Two of which were 44 yards that would have been good from beyond 50. His extra point in the second OT was the game winner. Got Co-player of the week. Being courted by Purdue, UK, Duke. UofL still.

Update on my nephew. Trinity’s kicker Kellan McLaughlin. Trinity snapped Cedar Groves (from Indianapolis area) 30 game win streak in 2 Overtimes. The score was 15-15 at the end of regulation. All 15 points were Kellan’s school record and 2nd in KHSAA, five field goals. Two of which were 44 yards that would have been good from beyond 50. His extra point in the second OT was the game winner. Got Co-player of the week. Being courted by Purdue, UK, Duke. UofL still.
Congratulations to your family. Sounds like a fearless kid with character. Hope things work out for Kellan and UK. Please keep us in the loop.

Reactions: Girthang
Typically, football recruiting heats up for us in June and July, then cools down in August and September while our coaches focus on starting the football season on a strong note. Typically, we see recruiting start to tick up again in October and then accelerate through November and December. The particulars vary from year to year.

Coach Stoops has 15 commitments in his 2023 class. It is a sure thing Stoops will save multiple scholarships for offseason inbound transfers. By the most recent count, Stoops has already committed about 81 scholarships for the 2023 season. In order for Stoops to take more commitments for his 2023 class, he must have a good idea who will transfer out during the offseason. If he isn't sure yet, that could force him to wait.

Here are some uncommitted prospects generally believed to have mutual interest with UK's coaches. Now, for the mandatory disclaimer. This is not a complete list, and I am not attempting to predict where any of these players will eventually sign or whether their scholarship offers are correctly committable. Some prospects currently committed to other schools may flip to UK before December, but that is beyond the scope of this post.

Demitrius Bell, WR, Nashville, TN
Jeremiah Collins, DB, Murfreesboro, TN
Devin Hyatt, WR, Bradenton, FL
Branden Palmer, LB, Cornelius, NC
William Spencer, OL, New Albany, IN
Jamarion Wilcox, RB, Douglasville, GA

Interesting...no DL and no Pulliam...
Pulliam is still uncommitted. But I don't see a reason to think he will sign with UK. He is apparently an Auburn lean.

If Stoops can get the right one, and if he has enough open scholarships, he might take an interior defensive lineman in this class. But it is not apparent who that might be. It looks like OT and LB could be bigger priorities. All of UK's current defensive linemen are expected to be back in 2023.

Pulliam is still uncommitted. But I don't see a reason to think he will sign with UK. He is apparently an Auburn lean.

If Stoops can get the right one, and if he has enough open scholarships, he might take an interior defensive lineman in this class. But it is not apparent who that might be. It looks like OT and LB could be bigger priorities. All of UK's current defensive linemen are expected to be back in 2023.
Come on Rembrandt90.....you know we're whiffling all over the place on defensive front. You never go a recuiting cycle with no DL. They need a year in S&C to replace the guys that will leave 2 years from now at earliest. Plus it's likely we lose Quentil Jones from last years class. We for sure need 2 DL and it looks like we'll take a big goose egg.

Reactions: JHB4UK
Come on Rembrandt90.....you know we're whiffling all over the place on defensive front. You never go a recuiting cycle with no DL. They need a year in S&C to replace the guys that will leave 2 years from now at earliest. Plus it's likely we lose Quentil Jones from last years class. We for sure need 2 DL and it looks like we'll take a big goose egg.
Agree but harder to assess impact any more until we see what they get/don’t get from the portal in Dec and May.

Agree but harder to assess impact any more until we see what they get/don’t get from the portal in Dec and May.
Well if we are stuggling since we can't pony up for HS kids on NIL...what makes me believe an impact DL is going to magically show up in Lexington if we cna't pony up for portal kids as well in Mitch's wonderful world of unwritten rules?

Typically, football recruiting heats up for us in June and July, then cools down in August and September while our coaches focus on starting the football season on a strong note. Typically, we see recruiting start to tick up again in October and then accelerate through November and December. The particulars vary from year to year.

Coach Stoops has 15 commitments in his 2023 class. It is a sure thing Stoops will save multiple scholarships for offseason inbound transfers. By the most recent count, Stoops has already committed about 81 scholarships for the 2023 season. In order for Stoops to take more commitments for his 2023 class, he must have a good idea who will transfer out during the offseason. If he isn't sure yet, that could force him to wait.

Here are some uncommitted prospects generally believed to have mutual interest with UK's coaches. Now, for the mandatory disclaimer. This is not a complete list, and I am not attempting to predict where any of these players will eventually sign or whether their scholarship offers are correctly committable. Some prospects currently committed to other schools may flip to UK before December, but that is beyond the scope of this post.

Demitrius Bell, WR, Nashville, TN
Jeremiah Collins, DB, Murfreesboro, TN
Devin Hyatt, WR, Bradenton, FL
Branden Palmer, LB, Cornelius, NC
William Spencer, OL, New Albany, IN
Jamarion Wilcox, RB, Douglasville, GA
According to JRow Collins isn't a take currently. Also UK hosted Jaquez Keyes a 4 star RB committed to Wisconsin this weekend. They are trying hard to flip him

Reactions: Girthang
I don't know how you concluded we need to sign two more defensive linemen in our 2023 class when we already have 12 scholarship defensive linemen scheduled to be back in 2023 including all of our starters. As I said, I believe Stoops would take another defensive lineman if he has enough scholarships available, and if he gets the guy he wants. I also explained that Stoops is tight on available scholarships until he gets a good idea which players might leave in the offseason.
As for "wiffling all over the place", show us a program that signs every prospect they offer.

You are apparently not much of a fan of our current coaching staff. The staff that has won 4 straight bowl games including wins over PA St and IA. The staff that won 10 games last year. We disagree on that too. I remember how it was before Stoops got here.

Bc420, our OL performance best pick up quickly for that to happen. At least he's from a good location for us.

I don't know how you concluded we need to sign two more defensive linemen in our 2023 class when we already have 12 scholarship defensive linemen scheduled to be back in 2023 including all of our starters. As I said, I believe Stoops would take another defensive lineman if he has enough scholarships available, and if he gets the guy he wants. I also explained that Stoops is tight on available scholarships until he gets a good idea which players might leave in the offseason.
As for "wiffling all over the place", show us a program that signs every prospect they offer.

You are apparently not much of a fan of our current coaching staff. The staff that has won 4 straight bowl games including wins over PA St and IA. The staff that won 10 games last year. We disagree on that too. I remember how it was before Stoops got here.
1. It is a very bad idea to sign zero DL...you always need them, they are in tight demand, UK plays a 3-4...so they need 6 legit DL to have a viable 2 deep depth chart. Hayes, Rogers, Ox are all Jrs....their will be massive holes to fill when they all leave. It can't be just Deonne Walker and a bunch of ???? then they leave Saunders might be legit starting DL...Dinkins just looks all over the place moving to so many spots...feels like he can't solidify anywhere. So it's very wise to be getting a startling caliber DL this class to give him a year to acclimate and be ready for the job in 2 years.
2. Yeah...we've been whiffing all the place on DFront. Kendrick Gilbert, Neeo Avery, Marcellius Pulliam, .. We sit at 41st in recruiting and we have a pitiful list of remaining kids to close it out.

I'm not down on Stoops a bit. I think he's amazing. I do wonder if we're missing Sumrall, Coen, Clink, etc.. on recruiting front as assistants. But the main issue is NIL and Mitch's stupid stance that holds us down. And to some degree we might be the only SEC school to pony up huge for b-ball and then football. So maybe it's simply going to boil down to resources as well.

Reactions: JHB4UK
Well if we are stuggling since we can't pony up for HS kids on NIL...what makes me believe an impact DL is going to magically show up in Lexington if we cna't pony up for portal kids as well in Mitch's wonderful world of unwritten rules?
You’re right. UK NIL has never ponied up for impact portal transfers the last two years.

…tbh just need guys who can push the current starters in practice and provide depth. Doesn’t need to be future pros but that’d be nice. Can make do with multi year P5 starters with above average stats. They don’t have to make a Wandale, Levis, Rosenthal, or T Robinson impact to make a difference.

According to JRow Collins isn't a take currently. Also UK hosted Jaquez Keyes a 4 star RB committed to Wisconsin this weekend. They are trying hard to flip him
In that post, I said I was not suggesting all the offers are currently committable. Also, I said the topic of possible flips was outside the scope of that post.

It is true that our coaches are trying to flip Keyes. They want to sign a third RB in the class because Rodriguez, Smoke, and Jefferson will be gone by next season. Many reports seem to confirm that.

As for DBs, I believe they want to flip Ja'Keem Jackson from FL. They would like to take one more DB. If they cannot flip Jackson, other options will probably be revisited. There are reasons to believe Collins was interested as recently as 6 weeks ago. As I said in the earlier post, I am not predicting where any of these prospects will end up.

Last edited:
Reactions: JASUN74
1. It is a very bad idea to sign zero DL...you always need them, they are in tight demand, UK plays a 3-4...so they need 6 legit DL to have a viable 2 deep depth chart. Hayes, Rogers, Ox are all Jrs....their will be massive holes to fill when they all leave. It can't be just Deonne Walker and a bunch of ???? then they leave Saunders might be legit starting DL...Dinkins just looks all over the place moving to so many spots...feels like he can't solidify anywhere. So it's very wise to be getting a startling caliber DL this class to give him a year to acclimate and be ready for the job in 2 years.
2. Yeah...we've been whiffing all the place on DFront. Kendrick Gilbert, Neeo Avery, Marcellius Pulliam, .. We sit at 41st in recruiting and we have a pitiful list of remaining kids to close it out.

I'm not down on Stoops a bit. I think he's amazing. I do wonder if we're missing Sumrall, Coen, Clink, etc.. on recruiting front as assistants. But the main issue is NIL and Mitch's stupid stance that holds us down. And to some degree we might be the only SEC school to pony up huge for b-ball and then football. So maybe it's simply going to boil down to resources as well.
Again, I believe you are dead wrong about Barnhart. I don't know what else Barnhart needs to accomplish to convince his antagonists and naysayers. But this is not something worth the effort to debate, because I have learned no amount of facts will change the minds of the anti-Barnhart crowd. Let's just agree to disagree.

The number of defensive linemen (or any other position) the coaches decide to sign in a given class is subject to several factors. In this case, 12 current UK defensive linemen (including all of the starters and and key reserves) are scheduled to return in 2023. Besides that, Stoops is almost out of scholarships for next year although he still has needs to fill at several other positions. With recent changes in transfer rules, some of the considerations you have cited no longer apply necessarily. I can see you believe these things strongly. Here again, we can just agree to disagree.

In that post, I said I was not suggesting all the offers are currently committable. I said the topic of possible flips was outside the scope of that post.

It is true that our coaches are trying to flip Keyes. They want to sign a third RB in the class because Rodriguez, Smoke, and Jefferson will be gone by next season. Many reports seem to confirm that.

As for DBs, I believe they want to flip Ja'Keem Jackson from FL. They would like to take one more DB. If they cannot flip Jackson, other options will probably be revisited. There are reasons to believe Collins was interested as recently as 6 weeks ago. As I said in the earlier post, I am not predicting where any of these prospects will end up.
What you said was correct. I was just adding they had him on campus this weekend. They still think they can get Jackson and that is probably one of the reasons they are holding off on Collins. He said the last couple weeks he wanted to take an official here. It is gonna to come down to how things play out with Jackson and maybe some other things for that to happen.

Florida is killing it on both lines and DB recruiting. They're about to get commits from the best CB in the class and another top 10 CB that was committed to OSU. That class is getting crowded there. Hopefully that helps in flipping Jackson as he would be a big time get

I know you were talking flips but as far as DL recruiting goes it will be a flip or the portal. All their targets are committed. After missing Gilbert there was talk on the other forum that they are revisiting whether they want to go Lal in on Clements and try to flip him

What you said was correct. I was just adding they had him on campus this weekend. They still think they can get Jackson and that is probably one of the reasons they are holding off on Collins. He said the last couple weeks he wanted to take an official here. It is gonna to come down to how things play out with Jackson and maybe some other things for that to happen.

Florida is killing it on both lines and DB recruiting. They're about to get commits from the best CB in the class and another top 10 CB that was committed to OSU. That class is getting crowded there. Hopefully that helps in flipping Jackson as he would be a big time get

I know you were talking flips but as far as DL recruiting goes it will be a flip or the portal. All their targets are committed. After missing Gilbert there was talk on the other forum that they are revisiting whether they want to go Lal in on Clements and try to flip him
I agree. But September is a month when the coaches are heavily occupied with game planning and prep. Not recruiting. Especially not this week leading up to the Gainesville trip. Typically, few commitments occur in September although there are exceptions.

And it looks like Stoops is getting low on available scholarships for this class, although still with multiple needs to address. Either way, I think the coaches have some time to reevaluate their recruiting priorities before recruiting picks up again in October and November.

We know they still want Keyes and Jackson. Maybe Spencer, if his grades qualify to enroll. Besides those three, it would not surprise me if the names on UK's prospect radar change almost completely when October arrives.

I agree. But September is a month when the coaches are heavily occupied with game planning and prep. Not recruiting. Especially not this week leading up to the Gainesville trip. Typically, few commitments occur in September although there are exceptions.

And it looks like Stoops is getting low on available scholarships for this class, although still with multiple needs to address. Either way, I think the coaches have some time to reevaluate their recruiting priorities before recruiting picks up again in October and November.

We know they still want Keyes and Jackson. Maybe Spencer, if his grades qualify to enroll. Besides those three, it would not surprise me if the names on UK's prospect radar change almost completely when October arrives.
They always do. You can almost guarantee between now and then there will be decommits also. There will also be a few guys blow up that weren't on anyone's radar. Recruiting is always changing/evolving

Reactions: The-Hack

I hope not Keyes he’s a kid 3 at best

Does anyone have any real insight on where this staff is headed with this upcoming class? Does seem to b a big mystery at this point

Does anyone have any real insight on where this staff is headed with this upcoming class? Does seem to b a big mystery at this point
Most of the guys they're still after are committed. Jakeem Jackson CB is coming for an OV. They're in good shape with Demetrius Bell WR that decommitted from mich St. Woo Spencer OG is prob the guy that they should definitely sign. Like always things will reshuffle in October and then again in Dec. Fearbry decommitted from PSU and committed last September. Albert decommitted in Dec and signed with UK. Things will change a lot by Dec. They should add 4-5 more guys

Does Jefferson’s ACL tear take one of the 85 for next year, thus reducing this class by another player? (Assuming he comes back next year.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT