ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2023 Recruiting

Man, a big win like that surely will kick recruiting up. We win the next three and we should be able to pull some huge visitors for SC and MSU. No reason we can't grab a couple big time DL/OL to close this out. I see us flipping a couple guys
Hope you're right.

Hope we get some more visits scheduled

There were a ton of 4* visitors in June. Only 1 committed though.

Results on the field are what they're building on now. In the past it was hope and selling the potential. 10 wins last year and beating Iowa likely registered more with sophomores that hadn't already chosen a favorite. I think we'll see the benefit of these 2 seasons in flips and transfers, (with commits from higher rated players coming in late), over the next 18m.

It's not likely but not impossible that we will see a bunch of 5 star commits unless we get to the National championship game, because those guys are currently being induced to sign with schools in violation of ncaa verbiage on the process.

I think THE reason the ncaa hasn't truly and officially ruled on this is to give a leg up to the schools with big followings that bought their players in the past but had fallen off of late. Texas, Tennessee, FSU, etc. The ncaa knows a level playing field doesn't generate as much money as having regional powerhouses dominate with a few big upsets sprinkled in for good measure. The University of Kentucky rising in football isn't good for the company.

Pretty small following and stadium compared to the traditional powerhouses.

It's all about money (viewership) and perception drives that. If they rule on it officially laying down final guidelines and punishment for non-compliance, then schools like UK can respond accordingly and get things moving. I don't think they want that or UT, UL, A&M, AND others would've already been body-slammed by sanctions.

If UK whispers a hint of doing what those schools are, it will get steamrolled by the association.

McCall and Roger's were OG as well. I think playing them at DT is how Kentucky is signing them.
Agree. Rogers was a 5* recruit, but most analyst thought he was better OL than DL. However, he wanted to play DL and UK recruited him as such.

I see Spencer listed as both. I have no clue about his preference, but I’m sure UK will play him at his desired position.

Reactions: Girthang
Steve Wiltfong puts in a Crystal Ball for 4 star DL William Spencer to UK
Yes I saw that. Spencer is being recruited as an OG. I don't know if this is factual, but there were rumors earlier in the summer that Spencer needed to get his grades up. At least in part, his move across the river to New Albany Senior hs was supposed to help with that. He has always been interested in UK, but Vince Marrow was not in a position to take his commitment until the coaches were confident Spencer could enroll. Now, Wiltfong is suggesting it is about to come together. Unlike some other talking heads, Wiltfong's record as a forecaster of prospect commitments has been very good. With Wiltfong making this prediction now, I would guess he believes Spencer's commitment to UK is imminent.

There has been some concern on this board about the future of UK's OL. Let's take a look.

SENIORS

Kenneth Horsey
Tashawn Manning
Quintin Wilson

JUNIORS

Eli Cox
Jeremy Flax

SOPHOMORES

Deondre Buford
Josh Jones
John Young

RS FRESHMEN

Jager Burton
Paul Rodriguez
David Wohlabaugh

TR FRESHMEN

Grant Bingham
Kiyaunta Goodwin
Nik Hall

COMMITMENTS

Koby Keenum
Austin Ramsey
Malachi Wood
(Spencer?)

Three of our current OL starters are due back next year. Also back will be highly regarded backups Kiyaunta Goodwin, Grant Bingham, Nik Hall, and John Young. Josh Jones will be back from injury. Current backups David Wohlabaugh and Deondre Buford are young, but almost won starting jobs this month. There will be a lot of competition, and I don't see Stoops taking an OL transfer during the offseason unless Goodwin isn't ready to start in 2023.

Karmello English just decommitted from Auburn, hopefully somebody we can flip
JR reported yesterday that UK wasn't recruiting anymore WR. We will see if this changes that. Maybe they knew this was happening was why. They have supposedly stopped recruiting Demetrius Bell

JR reported yesterday that UK wasn't recruiting anymore WR. We will see if this changes that. Maybe they knew this was happening was why. They have supposedly stopped recruiting Demetrius Bell
If this happens, suggests to me we have another QB lined up also.

Speaking of Quarterbacks and recruiting, according to rivals these two players are the only QB's this staff has offered that aren't committed elsewhere, that I could find at least.

Come on Rembrandt90.....you know we're whiffling all over the place on defensive front. You never go a recuiting cycle with no DL. They need a year in S&C to replace the guys that will leave 2 years from now at earliest. Plus it's likely we lose Quentil Jones from last years class. We for sure need 2 DL and it looks like we'll take a big goose egg.
Not

Reactions: Rembrandt90
No just going off what has been reported and will all depend on if they def hit the portal
Right. Well it’s interesting because it seems like there’s two routes with transfer QBs. One is the Levis situation, where a talented QB is sitting at a big school. The other is to grab a starter performing well at a G5 school and bring him up to the P5.

We only have 2 yrs to go by....but sure seems like Stoops wants transfers who were in P5 programs. Kids who got the associated higher level strength and conditioning, coaching, etc than those at a G5.

We only have 2 yrs to go by....but sure seems like Stoops wants transfers who were in P5 programs. Kids who got the associated higher level strength and conditioning, coaching, etc than those at a G5.
Not necessarily. Ramon Jefferson was going to be a major contributor before his injury and he's out of FCS. Zion Childress is seeing PT in the secondary and he's out of Texas St. I do agree he'll likely take primarily P5 guys but he isn't afraid to take a flyer on small school guys.

Reactions: JASUN74 and catben
We are not going to sign a 2023 high school quarterback. Already signed 1 last class that will take some development time - if they stay at the position.

UK will portal in a QB good enough to be a starter next yr
I will be surprised if we don't get a top QB with how much we will be loaded everywhere again next season. A really good QB will have a chance to shine big time here. I am surprised that Vizzini went to Clemson after I watched the frosh QB for them. He is much better than the DJ guy.

Can’t blame anyone for not wanting to go to Auburn currently. I think we were definitely the runner up so hopefully we’re the clear favorite now.

Reactions: Girthang
Can’t blame anyone for not wanting to go to Auburn currently. I think we were definitely the runner up so hopefully we’re the clear favorite now.
Unless Bama has changed their minds. I think they have missed so far on the guys they were after

After recently counting players in each class, as well as 2023 verbal commitments, Coach Stoops has tied up 81 of his 2023 scholarships. We are allowed 85 scholarships at a time. So if every 2023 verbal commitment signs, and if no undergraduates leave this year through the portal, Stoops could accept 4 more players either as 2023 commitments or as inbound transfers through the portal. But we know there will be outbound transfers during the winter and spring, because that happens every year.

In any case, I still expect around 8-10 more additions after Stoops figues out the numbers, but not sure how the mix will be between inbound transfers and more 2023 commits.

Let's discuss some players with a realistic chance to end up at UK. First, the mandatory disclaimer. I am not predicting anything. I am not saying other players won't pop onto UK's radar. I am only describing what appears to be going on right now with these players.

Demitrius Bell, WR, Nashville, TN. Bell, a highly regarded receiver holding at least 9 SEC scholarship offers, recently decommitted from MI St and scheduled an official visit to UK. We can take this as evidence that UK will take one more commitment this year from a hs WR. Chances are the last WR scholarship will be given either to Bell, English, or Hyatt, and I think it could end up being Bell.

Arion Carter, LB, Smyrna, TN. Currently committed to Memphis, Carter holds at least 9 SEC scholarship offers and several of the more significant offers have come recently. This could suggest that Carter may have improved his academic eligibility over the summer, or it may simply be evidence that Carter has cooled on Memphis. Carter is projectable as a LB or RB, but it has been rumored that UK is most interested in him as an inside LB.

Karmello English, WR, Phenix City, AL. Formerly committed to Auburn, English recently decommitted and speculation about UK began immediately. This ship may have sailed, but UK was interested earlier and could still make a move for him.

Devin Hyatt, WR, Bradenton, FL. Hyatt holds at least 8 SEC scholarship offers, and is scheduled to visit UK on November 11. His brother plays football for TN, and many people feel that makes TN the team to beat. He also has a visit to Auburn coming up.

Ja'Keem Jackson, DB, Kissimmee, FL. Currently committed to FL, Jackson will visit UK on October 14. He holds at least 11 SEC offers. Jackson is a hs track star who competes in 100 m sprint. His brother is a member of UK's track team. The rumor here is that Jackson almost picked UK over FL earlier, then may have had second thoughts after UK beat FL in Gainesville on September 10 with a masterful defensive performance. It is anyone's guess how having a brother at UK will influence him, but it has taken him as far as scheduling an OV. I believe Jackson (along with Spencer) may be one of the two most likely players on this list to end up at UK.

William Spencer, OL, New Albany, IN. Spencer, a Louisville native, has long been linked to UK and is being recruited by Vince Marrow. Recently, college football guru Steve Wiltfong predicted Spencer will sign with UK. Spencer's academic eligibility has been questioned, but the move to New Albany senior hs may have helped him cope with that. Spencer is a big, athletic guy. Although he has been described as a DT at times and formerly played that position at Male hs, the latest word is that UK wants him as an OG. Looks like Spencer is a future BBW member. He holds at least 3 SEC and 3 B10 scholarship offers and would rank as one of the better players in UK's 2023 class.

Jamarion Wilcox, RB, Douglasville, GA. Wilcox attended a camp in Lexington in June and made a strong impression on Coach Settle. Wilcox has an OV scheduled at UK on October 15. He reportedly holds three SEC scholarship offers in addition to offers from Clemson, NC State, and Cincinnati. Because of pending graduations, UK's coaches evidently intend to take three running backs in the 2023 class and Wilcox is their final target.

Last edited:
Last week Carter was a 2* on rivals, then received offers from Bama, UGA, Tenn, UK, Mich, and others and was immediately bumped up to a 5.8 4 star. He is one of if not the hottest rising '23 prospect I read that he released a HUDL video of his 1st few games and he got noticed from that and his stock soared. He actually took a visit to Bama this weekend and posted pics with Saban.

He is definitely a LB, though he has already rushed for over a 300 yds and 8 TDs this year through 3 games. He is the hottest rising recruit in HS. KSR interviewed him and he talked about how running the ball and learn to see the holes has helped as a LB. He said he can see the field better and and knows what the RB or WR is seeing and it helps him in making plays to stop them. He is getting a ton of attention and probably gonna be hard to beat everyone else out

Last week Carter was a 2* on rivals, then received offers from Bama, UGA, Tenn, UK, Mich, and others and was immediately bumped up to a 5.8 4 star. He is one of if not the hottest rising '23 prospect I read that he released a HUDL video of his 1st few games and he got noticed from that and his stock soared. He actually took a visit to Bama this weekend and posted pics with Saban.

He is definitely a LB, though he has already rushed for over a 300 yds and 8 TDs this year through 3 games. He is the hottest rising recruit in HS. KSR interviewed him and he talked about how running the ball and learn to see the holes has helped as a LB. He said he can see the field better and and knows what the RB or WR is seeing and it helps him in making plays to stop them. He is getting a ton of attention and probably gonna be hard to beat everyone else out
Carter sees early PT at UK, thus the interest.

Carter sees early PT at UK, thus the interest.
He sees two guys that are from the same area starting as freshman. He thinks he can play early nad also make a big impact here. He said he is making a decision on his five officials the next few weeks. Bama offered nad he went there that weekend for a visit. Be hard to beat them if he is a priority

Think it’s been quiet recent because most the guys we are looking at may be committed else where, JR has said they’re looking to flip some guys and Wiltfong also had an interview after we beat florida and basically said the same, and that we are still talking with Kendrick Gilbert too

Last week Carter was a 2* on rivals, then received offers from Bama, UGA, Tenn, UK, Mich, and others and was immediately bumped up to a 5.8 4 star. He is one of if not the hottest rising '23 prospect I read that he released a HUDL video of his 1st few games and he got noticed from that and his stock soared.
Stars come and go. This is why interest and offers from strong coaching staffs are better indicators of relative talent than stars are. It is why lightly recruited Jamin Davis and Josh Allen ended up being NFL 1st round draft choices while many higher ranked players end up driving a truck. (There is nothing wrong with driving a truck. It is good, honest work.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT