ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2023 Recruiting

Think it’s been quiet recent because most the guys we are looking at may be committed else where, JR has said they’re looking to flip some guys and Wiltfong also had an interview after we beat florida and basically said the same, and that we are still talking with Kendrick Gilbert too
Recruiting news is quiet now mainly because Coach Stoops is almost out of scholarships, and because players he and his coaches are still targeting are not close to announcing. If you want a target for possible news in the not too distant future, Ja'Keem Jackson is scheduled to visit Lexington October 14. Jackson is committed to FL, but his brother is a member of UK's track team. If Jackson flips to UK, which looks like a real possibility, he would be one of the best players in our class.

Steve Wiltfong says Woo Spencer will commit to UK, but that could still take a while.

One more. Demitrius Bell, a WR from Nashville, recently decommitted from MI St and is in the process of scheduling a visit to UK.

If UK had more scholarships available, there would be more recruiting news.

Rem, you mentioned total available roster spots last page. FYI - We had 19 transfers-out after last season.
They also added 10 guys from the portal. 2 were walk-ons but deuce may have a scholarship now. They have 19 SRs but a few could have a Covid year and RJ may apply for a medical redshirt/extra year. There will be more transfers, but his 81# sounds really close

Reactions: Colonial Farm 80
Bell looks like a pretty solid WR, someone that can claim contested passes and block down field.

Reactions: Girthang
Any scuttlebutt with Khalifa Keith's recruitment? I read on a Tennesse board that he is visiting them and they feel like they can get him to flip if they offer.

Are both Bell and English, the 4* WR who decommitted from Auburn, takes? Or are both competing for 1 spot in the class?

Damn do we need 1 if not 2 tackles who can play right away in 23. Buford must be way way from competing if he won't even be given a chance.

Are both Bell and English, the 4* WR who decommitted from Auburn, takes? Or are both competing for 1 spot in the class?

Damn do we need 1 if not 2 tackles who can play right away in 23. Buford must be way way from competing if he won't even be given a chance.
Bell is visiting this weekend, Rowland put in a future cast to UK. There is zero English news. Idk if it's true but there is supposedly rumors that everyone is backing off because of an eligibility issue

Any scuttlebutt with Khalifa Keith's recruitment? I read on a Tennesse board that he is visiting them and they feel like they can get him to flip if they offer.
He visited last weekend. Idk if he is going back. I'm pretty sure UT is at LSU this weekend.

Did I miss something? Average is great ect but 13 rushes in 6 games, little more than 1 tackle per. Usage is very low.
I thought the same thing. Usage on offense is probably low, but I assume he plays D. 7 tackles by a safety isn't good. I guess he could be playing corner or his front 7 is stopping them at the line

The board is so dead. In the Stoops era, I can’t recall less recruiting chatter in late Fall.

Unless you are in the sweepstakes for a top 100 kid who hasn't pledged, most everybody has 3/4s plus of their class filled or waiting for things to fall.

Thank the early signing period also.

Here is an update. My standard disclaimer. I am not predicting where anyone will sign. I cannot say for certain whether any offer is currently committable. No one can, honestly, unless they are a member of UK's coaching staff. Discussing this real time information outside the coaching staff can be a violation of NCAA rules. And while NCAA rules may have less traction than they used to, coaches giving away confidential recruiting information is an unforced error that can still get a school into trouble (including by allowing your recruiting competitors to know which players you are seriously pursuing). Coach Stoops has worked very hard to build the program, and he hates unforced mistakes. As novice observers, all of us here are working from the same set of publicly available information. Some of us follow available information more closely, but none of us here knows what our coaches are thinking. If anyone implies otherwise, take it with a couple grains of salt and use your common sense.

Based on my count this morning, 63 current scholarship underclassmen are due back on campus in 2023. Some will not actually be back, because players leave every year. But we won't know the final numbers until next summer.

Coach Stoops currently has 15 verbal commitments in his 2023 class (which means 7 scholarships for 2023 are still theoretically open).

Nasir Addison, DB, Irvington, NJ
Jaremiah Anglin, DB, Lake Wales, FL
Anthony Brown, slotR, Springfield, OH
Ty Bryant, DB, Lexington, KY
Jakob Dixon, WR, Louisville, KY
Grant Godfrey, LB, Suwanee, GA
Koby Keenum, OL, Florence, AL
Khalifa Keith, RB/LB, Birmingham, AL
Tanner Lemaster, TE, Washington CH, OH
Kaden Moorman, RB, Frankfort, KY
Shamar Porter, WR, Nashville, TN
Austin Ramsey, OL, Philadelphia, PA
Avery Stuart, DB, Montgomery, AL
Malachi Wood, OL, Richmond, KY
Tommy Zeismer, LB, Danville, KY

Here are some prospects that still appear to have the attention of UK's coaching staff. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being a miniscule chance and 10 being a sure thing, I will offer my guess at the chance each player ends up at UK. This is just for fun, since I don't know what these players will decide and neither does anyone else here.

Dimetrius Bell, WR, Nashville, TN. Bell decommitted from MI St on August 23 and recently visited UK. He reportedly holds at least 9 SEC offers. If you buy into the narrative that Stoops wants to take one more WR in this class, then Bell may be the most likely candidate based on what we know now. (My guess- 4)

Karmello English, WR, Phenix City, AL. English is a former Auburn commit who decommitted on Sept. 14. Since then, his recruitment has been very quiet, creating some speculation that there could be academic problems. I don't know if there is truth to those rumors. At one time, Englsh was considered a heavily recruited receiver. He visited UK several months ago and was believed at the time to have UK as a finalist. I have not seen any recent evidence that UK is still recruiting him. (My guess- 2)

Kendrick Gilbert, DL, Indianapolis, IN. Gilbert committed to Purdue on August 28. Prior to that, UK and LSU were thought to be recruiting him hard. Gilbert visited UK again this month, but it is anyone's guess whether he is seriously considering a flip. Apparently, UK's coaches are still very interested. Gilbert reportedly holds ten B10 offers and five SEC offers. He has been a UK recruiting priority for a long time. (My guess- 3)

Devin Hyatt, WR, Bradenton, FL. Hyatt is a coveted prospect with at least 9 SEC offers. He has a visit scheduled to UK next month, and it will be interesting to see whether he actually makes it to Lexington. His big brother is a star receiver at TN, and TN has to be considered the heavy favorite right now if they want him. (My guess- 2)

Ja'Keem Jackson, DB, Kissimmee, FL. Jackson is thought to hold offers from 11 SEC schools. He verbally committed to FL on July 28, before UK beat FL in Gainesville. Jackson recently visited UK, so we know there is still mutual interest. Jackson's big brother is a member of UK's track team. If you put much stock in player ratings, Jackson has a higher rating than any current UK commitment. His addition would arguably give UK its finest DB class in the long history of our football program. (My guess- 5)

Branden Palmer, LB, Cornelius, NC. UK is reportedly Palmer's only current SEC offer, but he is intriguing because he is a long, athletic edge LB. It has been reported that UK and WV may be his favorites, and that Brad White is recruiting him. If he actually visits Lexington, then this could get more interesting. (My guess- 2)

Marcellius Pulliam, LB, Tyrone, GA. Pulliam holds at least 4 SEC offers. He has been an interior LB at Sandy Creek hs. Pulliam runs the 100m dash for Sandy Creek's track team, which makes him a very interesting LB prospect at his size. Auburn may be the favorite to sign him. Pulliam unofficially visited UK in June. From time to time, there have been rumors that Pulliam might come back and visit UK officially this fall. If that actually happens, then my estimation of UK's chances will increase. (My guess- 3)

William Spencer, OL, New Albany, IN. Spencer is a Louisville native who formerly played at Male hs. He reportedly holds at least 3 SEC offers. Last month, Steve Wiltfong predicted that Spencer will sign with UK. Wiltfong is usually right. (My guess- 7)

Jamarion Wilcox, RB, Douglasville, GA. Wilcox is thought to hold offers from 3 SEC schools plus Cincinnati and Clemson. He recently visited UK, so we know Coach Stoops is still trying to add to UK's RB roster. Wilcox is having a successful senior season at South Paulding hs and his recruitment has blown up a bit. (My guess- 4)

Don't be surprised if a few new, less familiar prospects visit UK in November and December. It is almost inevitable because it happens in most years. There could be one or more unforeseen flips from other schools, since that is not uncommon. That is how UK signed Trevin Wallace.

Some undergraduate players will leave through the transfer portal in January and then during the spring and summer. It happens every year. Coach Stoops will add more players through the portal too. Former ND DT Jacob Lacey is likely to transfer to UK. He is from Bowling Green, and he recently visited Lexington. The clock is ticking on Lacey's commitment to UK. Obviously, UK is highly likely to accept a transfer QB (or two). There have been rumors about former Boise St QB Hank Bachmeier because he and Coach Scangarello are familiar with one another. Stoops might take a transfer RB if the right guy becomes available. Also, a lot depends on how quickly Kiyaunta Goodwin develops, because Stoops could feel compelled to take a OT through the portal unless he believes he can count on Goodwin as a 2023 starter. But this thread is about the 2023 recruiting class, so let's guess Stoops will take about 5-6 more commitments in this class from hs seniors. So far, there is no evidence that UK's coaching staff is pursuing jucos this year, but you never know.

Last edited:
Here is an update. My standard disclaimer. I am not predicting where anyone will sign. I cannot say for certain whether any offer is currently committable. No one can, honestly, unless they are a member of UK's coaching staff. Discussing this real time information outside the coaching staff can be a violation of NCAA rules. And while NCAA rules may have less traction than they used to, coaches giving away confidential recruiting information is an unforced error that can still get a school into trouble (including by allowing your recruiting competitors to know which players you are seriously pursuing). Coach Stoops has worked very hard to build the program, and he hates unforced mistakes. As novice observers, all of us here are working from the same set of publicly available information. Some of us follow available information more closely, but none of us here knows what our coaches are thinking. If anyone implies otherwise, take it with a couple grains of salt and use your common sense.

Based on my count this morning, 63 current scholarship underclassmen are due back on campus in 2023. Some will not actually be back, because players leave every year. But we won't know the final numbers until next summer.

Coach Stoops currently has 15 verbal commitments in his 2023 class (which means 7 scholarships for 2023 are still theoretically open).

Nasir Addison, DB, Irvington, NJ
Jaremiah Anglin, DB, Lake Wales, FL
Anthony Brown, slotR, Springfield, OH
Ty Bryant, DB, Lexington, KY
Jakob Dixon, WR, Louisville, KY
Grant Godfrey, LB, Suwanee, GA
Koby Keenum, OL, Florence, AL
Khalifa Keith, RB/LB, Birmingham, AL
Tanner Lemaster, TE, Washington CH, OH
Kaden Moorman, RB, Frankfort, KY
Shamar Porter, WR, Nashville, TN
Austin Ramsey, OL, Philadelphia, PA
Avery Stuart, DB, Montgomery, AL
Malachi Wood, OL, Richmond, KY
Tommy Zeismer, LB, Danville, KY

Here are some prospects that still appear to have the attention of UK's coaching staff. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being a miniscule chance and 10 being a sure thing, I will offer my guess at the chance each player ends up at UK. This is just for fun, since I don't know what these players will decide and neither does anyone else here.

Dimetrius Bell, WR, Nashville, TN. Bell decommitted from MI St on August 23 and recently visited UK. He reportedly holds at least 9 SEC offers. If you buy into the narrative that Stoops wants to take one more WR in this class, then Bell may be the most likely candidate based on what we know now. (My guess- 4)

Karmello English, WR, Phenix City, AL. English is a former Auburn commit who decommitted on Sept. 14. Since then, his recruitment has been very quiet, creating some speculation that there could be academic problems. I don't know if there is truth to those rumors. At one time, Englsh was considered a heavily recruited receiver. He visited UK several months ago and was believed at the time to have UK as a finalist. I have not seen any recent evidence that UK is still recruiting him. (My guess- 2)

Kendrick Gilbert, DL, Indianapolis, IN. Gilbert committed to Purdue on August 28. Prior to that, UK and LSU were thought to be recruiting him hard. Gilbert visited UK again this month, but it is anyone's guess whether he is seriously considering a flip. Apparently, UK's coaches are still very interested. Gilbert reportedly holds ten B10 offers and five SEC offers. He has been a UK recruiting priority for a long time. (My guess- 3)

Devin Hyatt, WR, Bradenton, FL. Hyatt is a coveted prospect with at least 9 SEC offers. He has a visit scheduled to UK next month, and it will be interesting to see whether he actually makes it to Lexington. His big brother is a star receiver at TN, and TN has to be considered the heavy favorite right now if they want him. (My guess- 2)

Ja'Keem Jackson, DB, Kissimmee, FL. Jackson is thought to hold offers from 11 SEC schools. He verbally committed to FL on July 28, before UK beat FL in Gainesville. Jackson recently visited UK, so we know there is still mutual interest. Jackson's big brother is a member of UK's track team. If you put much stock in player ratings, Jackson has a higher rating than any current UK commitment. His addition would arguably give UK its finest DB class in the long history of our football program. (My guess- 5)

Branden Palmer, LB, Cornelius, NC. UK is reportedly Palmer's only current SEC offer, but he is intriguing because he is a long, athletic edge LB. It has been reported that UK and WV may be his favorites, and that Brad White is recruiting him. If he actually visits Lexington, then this could get more interesting. (My guess- 2)

Marcellius Pulliam, LB, Tyrone, GA. Pulliam holds at least 4 SEC offers. He has been an interior LB at Sandy Creek hs. Pulliam runs the 100m dash for Sandy Creek's track team, which makes him a very interesting LB prospect at his size. Auburn may be the favorite to sign him. Pulliam unofficially visited UK in June. From time to time, there have been rumors that Pulliam might come back and visit UK officially this fall. If that actually happens, then my estimation of UK's chances will increase. (My guess- 3)

William Spencer, OL, New Albany, IN. Spencer is a Louisville native who formerly played at Male hs. He reportedly holds at least 3 SEC offers. Last month, Steve Wiltfong predicted that Spencer will sign with UK. Wiltfong is usually right. (My guess- 7)

Jamarion Wilcox, RB, Douglasville, GA. Wilcox is thought to hold offers from 3 SEC schools plus Cincinnati and Clemson. He recently visited UK, so we know Coach Stoops is still trying to add to UK's RB roster. Wilcox is having a successful senior season at South Paulding hs and his recruitment has blown up a bit. (My guess- 4)

Don't be surprised if a few new, less familiar prospects visit UK in November and December. It is almost inevitable because it happens in most years. There could be one or more unforeseen flips from other schools, since that is not uncommon. That is how UK signed Trevin Wallace.

Some undergraduate players will leave through the transfer portal in January and then during the spring and summer. It happens every year. Coach Stoops will add more players through the portal too. Former ND DT Jacob Lacey is likely to transfer to UK. He is from Bowling Green, and he recently visited Lexington. The clock is ticking on Lacey's commitment to UK. Obviously, UK is highly likely to accept a transfer QB (or two). There have been rumors about former Boise St QB Hank Bachmeier because he and Coach Scangarello are familiar with one another. Stoops might take a transfer RB if the right guy becomes available. Also, a lot depends on how quickly Kiyaunta Goodwin develops, because Stoops could feel compelled to take a OT through the portal unless he believes he can count on Goodwin as a 2023 starter. But this thread is about the 2023 recruiting class, so let's guess Stoops will take about 5-6 more commitments in this class from hs seniors. So far, there is no evidence that UK's coaching staff is pursuing jucos this year, but you never know.
Wow!!!!! Much bleaker than I ever anticipated...

• Haha
Reactions: Girthang
Wow!!!!! Much bleaker than I ever anticipated...
Only 2 recruits you listed are at a 5 or better. That's pretty "bleak" to me also.
Not at all. I discussed nine names. Two of those are currently committed to other major conference programs, which reduces the likelihood they will be at UK just based on their earlier announcements. It is not clear at all that UK is even recruiting Karmello English anymore, which is why I gave a low grade. Hyatt's big brother is a starter at TN so, naturally, he is probably going there too if they take him. I'm not sure how much of a priority Palmer currently is. We are his only SEC offer. FWIW, it looks like UNC hasn't offered Palmer.

That leaves Bell, Pulliam, Spencer, and Wilcox. UK probably gets Spencer. Steve Wiltfong thinks so, and he is usually right. Pulliam hasn't made any official visits yet, but he has been linked to Auburn for months. If he officially visits UK, that would change the assessment in a big way. Bell and Wilcox recently visited UK, so those are the two names to keep our eyes on now. Our coaches want both of them, and the rumor mill says that both had positive visits. That means UK's chances are good. However, look at their offer sheets. The competition is strong, especially for Bell. And UK already has committments from multiple prospects at each position. It takes a certain kind of confidence to commit when those rooms are already full. So I want to discuss them realistically. I don't want to go over the top and get too crazy about either of them when there are so many different considerations for both Bell and Wilcox to process. But Stoops has a pretty good chance in both cases, or else they would not have visited.

We have to remember three big considerations for UK's class at this point. First, there are not many scholarships left to give. Then, there will surely be some incoming transfers, including Jacob Lacey and a QB or two. Those guys will need open scholarships. Last but not least, we can be pretty sure that a couple of new names will pop up in November and December, because that always happens. Late flips, maybe. Or late qualifiers. I gave the example that Trevin Wallace became available late.

UK's 2023 class is already strong at WR and DB. We have a shot for our best DB class in history. Grant Godfrey is a beast, and I believe (no matter what anyone says now) that Ziesmer will also be a LB at the SEC level. The class is still incomplete, but it is not nearly as bad as people keep saying based on the internet class rankings. The class rankings have to be taken in context. This is a good class for Stoops although it has not addressed every single position. Stoops probably can't take a full class this time. But he has done very well with the transfer portal recently, and that piece still remains to be determined. Far from bleak. I am optimistic.

Last edited:
Not at all. I discussed nine names. Two of those are currently committed to other major conference programs, which reduces the likelihood they will be at UK just based on their earlier announcements. It is not clear at all that UK is even recruiting Karmello English anymore, which is why I gave a low grade. Hyatt's big brother is a starter at TN so, naturally, he is probably going there too if they take him. I'm not sure how much of a priority Palmer currently is. We are his only SEC offer. FWIW, it looks like UNC hasn't offered Palmer.

That leaves Bell, Pulliam, Spencer, and Wilcox. UK probably gets Spencer. Steve Wiltfong thinks so, and he is usually right. Pulliam hasn't made any official visits yet, but he has been linked to Auburn for months. If he officially visits UK, that would change the assessment in a big way. Bell and Wilcox recently visited UK, so those are the two names to keep our eyes on now. Our coaches want both of them, and the rumor mill says that both had positive visits. That means UK's chances are good. However, look at their offer sheets. The competition is strong, especially for Bell. And UK already has committments from multiple prospects at each position. It takes a certain kind of confidence to commit when those rooms are already full. So I want to discuss them realistically. I don't want to go over the top and get too crazy about either of them when there are so many different considerations for both Bell and Wilcox to process. But Stoops has a pretty good chance in both cases, or else they would not have visited.

We have to remember three big considerations for UK's class at this point. First, there are not many scholarships left to give. Then, there will surely be some incoming transfers, including Jacob Lacey and a QB or two. Those guys will need open scholarships. Last but not least, we can be pretty sure that a couple of new names will pop up in November and December, because that always happens. Late flips, maybe. Or late qualifiers. I gave the example that Trevin Wallace became available late.

UK's 2023 class is already strong at WR and DB. We have a shot for our best DB class in history. Grant Godfrey is a beast, and I believe (no matter what anyone says now) that Ziesmer will also be a LB at the SEC level. The class is still incomplete, but it is not nearly as bad as people keep saying based on the internet class rankings. The class rankings have to be taken in context. This is a good class for Stoops although it has not addressed every single position. Stoops probably can't take a full class this time. But he has done very well with the transfer portal recently, and that piece still remains to be determined. Far from bleak. I am optimistic.
Thanks Rembrandt

Is there still a Covid exemption that allows teams to be over the 85 total limit? If so wouldn’t that potentially allow for a few more scholarships to be available?

Nope, covid over 85 is gone

I'm sure we are recruiting hard guys not on the 9 listed. very hopeful we land some big time kids that right now UK isn't mentioned as a potential destination.

Very disappointed in the decommit of Moorman. Really like KY kids that are hungry to play for the Cats. This young man looked to be grown and ready to play...

Very disappointed that UK hasn’t been able to attract more 4 & 5 stars. It’s fine to fill out the roster with 3s but you need a few of the kids that you can plug and play.

Very disappointed that UK hasn’t been able to attract more 4 & 5 stars. It’s fine to fill out the roster with 3s but you need a few of the kids that you can plug and play.
Especially at RB with the back-to-back success of Benny and C Rod considering we are one of the few schools left that actually FEATURE the RB position and make it a HUGE part of our offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT