ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2022 Recruiting

Article of Wimsatt breaking down his top schools

That is a “different” top 9.

Obviously the home state schools in there but Rutgers, Ole Miss, Oregon, and WVU?

Can’t say I’ve ever seen those schools mentioned with the same player before.

Now Big Dog, go get him!

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I believe Key is already a UK leaner.

Although I always take a grain of salt from what comes from Matt Jones' lap daddy Ryan, he was not very optimistic a few weeks ago. And Key's Dad is best friends with him. So I took it as we are fairly behind the big dogs in his recruitment. Much more than more many realized.

UK definitely has work to do with Key. The offense under Gran has/had them playing catch-up. His father and former Cat Donte' said so very recently.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Although I always take a grain of salt from what comes from Matt Jones' lap daddy Ryan, he was not very optimistic a few weeks ago. And Key's Dad is best friends with him. So I took it as we are fairly behind the big dogs in his recruitment. Much more than more many realized.
I said the wrong one. I said Freddie but it was Ryan. He wouldn't answer when asked if we were behind, avoided the question. Donte called in and said UK was involved but said he was talking to other schools. They both made it sound like we were behind.

I agree with that 100 percent Matthew Harper Jones-RL

Reactions: Canned Heat
Liam Coen, Jemal Singleton, and Eric Wolford are changing realities on the ground for recruitment of our 2022 class. To those who believe UK is behind on certain 2022 prospects, it's still early. 2022 will be a strong class for us.

This has been said before. They don't give UK extra points on the scoreboard when the player who scores the TD is from an instate hs. The object of recruiting is to build a winning roster. Josh Allen, Benny Snell, and Lynn Bowden were not from Kentucky. Chris Rodriguez, Yusuf Corker, and Trevin Wallace are from GA. Darian Kinnard, Luke Fortner, and Keaton Upshaw are from OH. It's a very good thing they became UK Wildcats. It is sometimes said here that you MUST control recruiting in your own state. In reality, that is more true for schools like UF and GA that are located in populous, talent-rich states. For UK, located in a small state, it is desirable, but not a rigid, make or break requirement.

In reality, no SEC school controls recruiting in its own state year in and year out. Not Alabama. Not Florida. Not Georgia either. Schools located in smaller states like LSU, Clemson, and ND recruit a lot of their players from out of state. UK must follow that model. If Kentucky's top 2022 instate players want to sign with UK, as some surely will, that's good and Coach Marrow will be happy about it. But Mark Stoops will be dependent on out of state recruiting as long as he is at UK. This is why 62 players from out of state are scheduled to participate in UK's spring practice. The math doesn't lie, and it is inescapable.

Kentucky will produce some talent every year that will be attractive to P5 schools and some that will be exceptional. The reason in-state recruiting is so important is that UK should have a more even playing field in recruiting those Kentucky kids who could play at top five schools. Willis, Mayer, Moore, Harris, etc. have demonstrated the impact Kentucky kids can have on other programs.

Young, Jackson, Tisdale, Burton, Weaver, etc. are examples of recruits that had P5 offers, some from traditional powers, who came to UK, but may have been less inclined had they come from other states. Keeping the top talent at home is foundational and makes the rest easier.

That said, I am a huge fan of our 2018 class. I think it compares favorably as one of Stoops’s best. It shows that getting talent only from out-of-state can work for UK.

For UK, located in a small state, it is desirable, but not a rigid, make or break requirement.

Never have truer words been spoken.!

The greatest and most persistent myth about U.K. recruiting: “UK must lock down the state.”

Unfortunately, outside of 5-8 players per year, the state is irrelevant to SEC recruiting.

Then add in that some of these kids are in Jefferson County, that some are Catholic or maybe even Mormon (and have been headed to ND or BYU/Utah since birth), and placing a false requirement of getting 100 percent is damn stupid: it will never happen.

Last edited:
https://247sports.com/Article/Kentucky-football-recruiting-offers-160301647/

Kentucky has offered Fairfield (Ala.) Preparatory School 2022 wide receiver Ja'Kobi Albert (6-foot-1, 175), Lanett (Ala.) 2022 strong-side defensive end Caden Story (6-foot-4, 235), Cincinnati (Ohio) Anderson 2022 tight end Brody Foley (6-foot-6, 230), Canal Winchester (Ohio) 2022 running back Stephan Byrd (6-foot, 195), College Station (Tex.) 2022 offensive tackle Cory Hendrix (6-foot-5, 300), Detroit (Mich.) Martin Luther King 2023 offensive tackle Johnathan Slack (6-foot-3, 265), Irmo (S.C.) Dutch Fork 2022 wide receiver Antonio Williams (6-foot, 180), Lehigh Acres (Fla.) Senior 2022 wide receiver Aidan Gousby (6-foot-2, 185) and Brentwood Academy (Tenn.) 2024 strong-side defensive end Hank Weber (6-foot-4, 230).

I think it will be very difficult for any other program to beat out UK for Bingham. I expect him to play for UK and possibly even become an early commit. The question is going to be whether he is an SEC OG or OT. We can guess, but it will need to get settled

I’m from that neck of the woods and word on the street is that it is 50/50 right now, Notre Dame and UK. Although right now I believe UK has a slight edge

Concerning Bingham, there is perhaps some question on how high he is on Notre Dame's OL board. They already have two OL commits, including one interior guy (which is where I think Bingham projects). That may ultimately begin to help things in UK's favor as well, but Bingham definitely really likes ND.

Liam Coen offers 2022 QB Drew Allar

Allar is blowing up. For those with a sub, The Athletic wrote a piece on him today. Excerpts:

Brad Maendler, a quarterback trainer based in Northeast Ohio, had been monitoring the sophomore season of a clearly gifted player at Medina High School. Drew Allar wasn’t named the starter until the eighth game of the 2019 season but still managed to finish with 23 touchdowns and nearly 2,000 passing yards.

Since the beginning of January, Allar has received scholarship offers from Washington, Texas A&M, Michigan, Penn State, Indiana and Kentucky. Add those to the list of schools that jumped on board earlier in the recruiting process, including Iowa, Iowa State, Wake Forest, Pitt — the first Power 5 program to offer Allar — and others. If you’re looking for a player in the next recruiting cycle whose stock could be about to take off, keep an eye on Allar.

Allar battled through an early-season ankle injury to finish with nearly 3,000 passing yards and 26 touchdowns in his first season as the full-time starter. More importantly, he seemed to get better as the season progressed and as he got healthier. Most importantly, he played some of his best games against Medina’s best competition.

What makes Allar so intriguing is that his week-to-week growth is apparent, yet he’s still so early in his development. He’s started only 14 varsity games. He didn’t even begin playing the position until his freshman year. Yet at least one Power 5 program, Pitt, saw enough in his sophomore film to believe he was worthy of an offer. It was only a matter of time until others followed suit.

If you’re wondering, Ohio State is not in the mix. Allar said there was light communication with the Buckeyes, but that basically stopped after OSU landed a commitment from Quinn Ewers, the No. 1 overall player in the class. That’s not surprising, but it does open the door for Allar to become more of a national prospect, which would make him a bit of a rarity in the state of Ohio.

There's a lot more. Reads like he's a very hard working kid with lots of talent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT