ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2022 Recruiting

Idk if OSU passed on him or he cooled on them, but the word has been for a while that it was UK and ND
OSU did not completely pass on him, they have some higher rated recruits they're waiting on, so Wagner is still an option for them if other players don't pan out.

One example. The college football coaching ranks are not “Full” of multimillionaires that made their money in the NFL.

He never mentioned NFL, said millionaires wouldnt want to toil 16 hour days and college football if full of them doing exactly that.

If they can get Wagner and Key is be pretty happy with the class. I think that’s in the realm of possibility.
1. I think Dane Key is a solid bet to UK....and we need a really good WR in this class.
2. I don't see Wagner to UK in any scenario currently being played out.
3. The bigger issue to me.....where is the defensive side of the ball....we're whiffing on DL left and right again...and we need another edge rusher to paid alongside of Keaton twin......just don't see that side of the ball materializing in any shape

I like when OSU recruits that way. Some smart Ohio kids don’t want to be second or third choice.

Yep, UK, UC, IU and others benefit. OSU was all about recruiting OHIO with Tressel and that started to change with Meyer and now Day has got it rolling across the country.

OSU did not completely pass on him, they have some higher rated recruits they're waiting on, so Wagner is still an option for them if other players don't pan out.
That was replying to someone saying they had passed on him. I see him as a long term project so taking someone more ready would make since. He needs to add a lot of muscle but has the length and ability. About a month or more ago I read that things had cooled between him and OSU and that UK and ND had this best shot at landing him.

Reactions: albundy83
1. I think Dane Key is a solid bet to UK....and we need a really good WR in this class.
3. The bigger issue to me.....where is the defensive side of the ball....we're whiffing on DL left and right again...and we need another edge rusher to paid alongside of Keaton twin......just don't see that side of the ball materializing in any shape
Yes we’ll have to wait and see but would’ve liked to see more so far.
I do agree with your concern in your original post regarding NIL. Where in basketball I think it’ll be a big plus, it causes me worry in football.

Reactions: jauk11
Yes we’ll have to wait and see but would’ve liked to see more so far.
I do agree with your concern in your original post regarding NIL. Where in basketball I think it’ll be a big plus, it causes me worry in football.
I don't see NIL as a huge problem. UK has never had success recruiting the type of players that benefit most from it. The players UK has been missing on like Baer to Pitt has nothing to do with NIL. Miami, southern Cal, etc may have more money but how many players are we losing to those schools? Bama's QB has 1 million in endorsements but how much do their DTs have?

jauk11 said:
Like your posts and hard work but Texas has everything you need to be a power. Probably more money for the NIL than any0ne, huge in state talent (and they are the state school) that UK can only dream of, and plenty of tradition. And now they are in the SEC. Money will be no object, and unfortunately money runs the world, which is why they are in the SEC now. Plus it looks like they will have four years to get ready for the challenge. I would guess they could hire A&Ms coach tomorrow if they really wanted to.
I don't see any reason to panic, we have two established starters and a FIVE STAR that should be coming on. then we have what was considered a great DL class that should be coming on. That DL class was supposed to be the strength of the class.

Reactions: The-Hack
I don't see any reason to panic, we have two established starters and a FIVE STAR that should be coming on. then we have what was considered a great DL class that should be coming on. That DL class was supposed to be the strength of the class.
We had a great DL class 2 years ago. Wade may be the answer at the jack LB spot. Outside of him UK has missed on every good edge guy they have recruited for a couple years now. Hopefully they can develop one of the lower ranked guys like they did Jamin at ILB.

Reactions: K_TIME
I don't see NIL as a huge problem. UK has never had success recruiting the type of players that benefit most from it. The players UK has been missing on like Baer to Pitt has nothing to do with NIL. Miami, southern Cal, etc may have more money but how many players are we losing to those schools? Bama's QB has 1 million in endorsements but how much do their DTs have?
I don’t know if it’ll be a huge problem either. But I do think guys might see ability to make a little more if they play for a school with a football first fanbase. NIL is all about your celebrity and recognizability. My fear is guys could have more of that other places even if the program at that other school isn’t better.

Example of this from this year that comes to mind: everyone in this damn state knows Dontaie Allen, who isn’t particularly good, and has an opinion on if he should play more. Less than half those people could have told you who Jamin Davis was during the season despite him being great and a first round pick. That scenario would impact Davis’s NIL potential and doesn’t happen at other SEC schools.

Reactions: jauk11
I don’t know if it’ll be a huge problem either. But I do think guys might see ability to make a little more if they play for a school with a football first fanbase. NIL is all about your celebrity and recognizability. My fear is guys could have more of that other places even if the program at that other school isn’t better.

Example of this from this year that comes to mind: everyone in this damn state knows Dontaie Allen, who isn’t particularly good, and has an opinion on if he should play more. Less than half those people could have told you who Jamin Davis was during the season despite him being great and a first round pick. That scenario would impact Davis’s NIL potential and doesn’t happen at other SEC schools.
The football first schools already out recruit us every year. UK barely cracks the top 30 in recruiting. What's funny is UNC is a BB 1st school and is killing it in recruiting. They do have a much better state to recruit from though

We had a great DL class 2 years ago. Wade may be the answer at the jack LB spot. Outside of him UK has missed on every good edge guy they have recruited for a couple years now. Hopefully they can develop one of the lower ranked guys like they did Jamin at ILB.
We'll go JC if necessary at some point. It'll work out. For now, after 2021, we have Weaver, when healthy, plus McDaniel, Wade and perhaps Fearbry coming online. Can Wright go super senior next year?

Last edited:
The football first schools already out recruit us every year. UK barely cracks the top 30 in recruiting. What's funny is UNC is a BB 1st school and is killing it in recruiting. They do have a much better state to recruit from though
UK will have to change that top 30 recruiting if we want to really compete in SEC football.

Reactions: UKat1 and yoshukai
I sure would like to have that one million dollar QB Bama has coming in. How much do you think NIL increases our chances of getting him in the future?

Anyone else suspect Baer got the impression he was likely to land at RT or G at UK? I would, if enrolling with Goodwin.

He was handed all kinds if impressions by the Pitt staff I'm sure. Doesn't matter now because he bought it. I hope the staff stays in touch so he can transfer in after he sees what Pitt really does for him

Reactions: The-Hack
Yeah Rock and others had said the whole time he was prob a guard. He will prob play RT at Pitt. He prob wouldn't have seen much PT here for 2-3 years. I think that played the bigger role

Some kids don't want to learn multiple positions either. We just don't know if Baer was one of those guys. Not everyone has a goal of playing in the NFL

I sure would like to have that one million dollar QB Bama has coming in. How much do you think NIL increases our chances of getting him in the future?
He is a soph, but I get what you are asking. Couch is the only one we have ever had. A guy like Couch could make close to that here. With or without NIL UK isn't likely getting a QB like Bama has, but they could get a top 10 QB like a Drew Allar if they prove they can pass the ball in this offense

Reactions: UKat1
Another sleepless night due too my own ignorance of taking a nap at 5 pm but I've been watching all of our 2022 commits tape but the one I enjoy the most is Andre Stewart's. I hope we can hold onto this guy.

We ARE ALREADY "competing in sec football." So frkn tired of the ignorance of the statement that we aren't
We aren’t competing for the championship or really even the East Division title. Is that a realistic goal ? If it is then we have to recruit better whether you’re “frkn tired of it “or not. It won’t get any easier with Texas and Oklahoma coming in. Pick it up or slide back .

Reactions: UKat1 and jauk11
We ARE ALREADY "competing in sec football." So frknth
Yeah, huge improvement since we quit treating fpptball like a redheaded stepchild, but that is mainly due to coaching and developing talent, NOT recruiting. It's great if you are satisfied with finishing third in the East, let alone trying to beat the powers in the west.

Reactions: UKat1
College coaching staffs are full of them, most schools have more than 1.
Don’t know how you define “full of them”, but we have never had a single one and I’d bet my net worth that they’re aren’t 50 coaches who had long and profitable NFL playing careers. It’s probably safe to say your team has had some since you’re commenting, but it certainly isn’t the norm. Stoops even commented about not being able to get Ed Reed to join his staff because he has too much money to want to recruit.

Grumpy always derails threads with UGA bs. that's why I have his elitist butt blocked
It was a comment I made that did it. My apologies. I've blocked the BS that got me riled up in the first place. Unhappy ingrates I shouldn't have paid attention to

I think the main issue is and was the offense. If that improves we will land better rated offensive guys to go along with the OL and Defensive studs.

I think the main issue is and was the offense. If that improves we will land better rated offensive guys to go along with the OL and Defensive studs.

Agree.

I also believe the immediate transfer rule will benefit UK (in the short term.) It will be interesting to see how our transfers contribute this year. I expect highly talented young players, that are still behind other players at some of the top 5-8 programs, will transfer for desire for immediate playing time. UK gives them a chance to play for a rising program in the SEC.

Coaching changes will always cause some good players to change schools. And ... as we see with Wandale, bad scheme and misuse of talent will cause good players to move. Some very good players at smaller programs will transfer. (Ironically, we saw this happen more in basketball this year than football.)

I suspect UK will be choosy in recruiting and save room for transfers to fill in on recruiting misses and roster needs.

I suspect UK will be choosy in recruiting and save room for transfers to fill in on recruiting misses and roster needs.

We might never sign more than 20 HS freshmen in a given year.

I could see this transfer portal being used (quietly) by big schools for allowing borderline recruits to “prove themselves.”

A Coach could easily whisper to a kid “go to EKU for a year or two . . . and if you make it big there, hit the portal.”

Not saying that is the way it is done, but you have to wonder.

Reactions: bballcat4
College coaching staffs are full of them, most schools have more than 1.
I found this article that lists the top assistant coaches who used to play in the NFL. I hadn't heard of half of them and there weren't any teams listed that had more than one. I'm not suggesting this list is comprehensive, but I haven't found any data to support your assertion that "college coaching staffs are full of them." I'm sure there are more, but I can't find them. https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...ere-former-NFL-players-147556840/#147556840_1

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT