ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2022 Recruiting

I am well aware Goodwin grew up in the Louisville area and transferred to a southern IN hs. That does not change my thinking that it will be difficult to beat out OH St if OH St’s coaching staff really wants him. Being an instate kid from Louisville has not historically been a recruiting advantage for UK, even though Coach Marrow has made progress in recent years. Note, I am not saying it can’t be done. It can. I am saying it will be difficult, although Coaches Marrow and Wolford are strong recruiters.
I 100% agree with what you are saying. I feel the same way. Alot will depend on how things fall. If Bama or OSU put the full court press on him they will definitely be hard to beat. I know I would want to play for a championship contender

Reactions: Rembrandt90
Eric Wolford is a strong recruiter. Like everyone else, I was heartbroken about Coach Schlarman. With that being understood, Coach Stoops has done an excellent job of rebuilding the offensive coaching staff. Coach Wolf is a perfect fit on our staff.

Goodwin’s recruitment is a different subject. UK is high on Goodwin’s list, so that’s the good news. But I am trying to remember the last time UK signed a hs football player out of the state of IN. I think it might have been Jon Toth. I don’t remember Mark Stoops signing an IN hs player. That doesn’t mean he can’t sign Goodwin, but I suspect this will be harder than it might look. Every school wants 6’7” four star LTs. If OH St really wants Goodwin, and I think they do, it will be difficult. That doesn’t mean it can’t be done.
Curious how the Indiana angle plays into this one. OSU I kind of get but you could have made that argument last year with Burton, OSU thought they had him locked up. Aspirations may give UK a little advantage, probably not a lot but every little bit helps.

Curious how the Indiana angle plays into this one. OSU I kind of get but you could have made that argument last year with Burton, OSU thought they had him locked up. Aspirations may give UK a little advantage, probably not a lot but every little bit helps.
It doesn't. And yes Aspirations and the fact Kentucky has been on Goodwin for four plus years is the main thing here.

You saying he is an indiana kid shows you don't know his background, regardless of how much you crawfish. As a matter if fact he actually still lives in louisville most of the time.

You saying he is an indiana kid shows you don't know his background, regardless of how much you crawfish. As a matter if fact he actually still lives in louisville most of the time.
To be fair , in his original post he has Goodwin listed as Louisville Kentucky. So must have known.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
Obviously no guarantees in recruiting, but at this point, I think Kentucky will eventually add the following six guys to its class: Gavin Wimsatt, Dane Key, Kiyaunta Goodwin, Alex Afari, Destin Wade, Keaten Wade. Six four star guys in that group.
Getting the Wade brothers would be nice.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I know Keaten is a LB but what position will Destin play at UK?

Obviously undetermined at this point, but Safety, LB, WR or TE all would be on the table IMO. WR or TE would be my best guess though. Obviously, he would need to have some real physical development to grow into a TE, which is very hard to call as of today.

Obviously no guarantees in recruiting, but at this point, I think Kentucky will eventually add the following six guys to its class: Gavin Wimsatt, Dane Key, Kiyaunta Goodwin, Alex Afari, Destin Wade, Keaten Wade. Six four star guys in that group.
That is just insane to me if it works out. These guys haven't been able to visit in over a year and the staff is still getting it done.

If Kentucky were to get all of the six guys above, based on where things are currently, it would bump Kentucky's class to #5 nationally with ten commits. They would only be 30 points behind Notre Dame for #4 and ND has eleven commits.

Them having Tennessee in both of their top 4 doesn’t bode well.
With a new coaching staff and new AD, this is a transitional year for UT’s football program. The Vols absorbed whippings on the field last year from several opponents who do not normally dominate them, including UK (in Knoxville, no less). Their coaches are new, but the roster is still problematic. I respect the Josh Heupel hire more than most other people seem to but, all things considered, this is a year when UT will not be able to control recruiting in their home state. And considering TreVonn Rybka and Adrian Huey were both offered by UT, UK already made inroads in recent years. I am not going out on a limb when I say UK’s 2022 recruiting class will include more players from TN with UT offers. This has already been discussed to some extent on this thread, and I concur.

One more comment on Coach Heupel. He is from OU originally. He is widely respected as an offensive coach, and I believe UT will tend to do fairly well on the scoreboard under his leadership. The problem might be on the defensive side. At UCF, Heupel’s defenses gave up a lot of points. Tim Banks is a decent hire as Heupel’s DC, but Banks will have to prove himself in the SEC. I have a feeling Heupel’s staff may need to undergo some changes.

OTOH, Coach Stoops is now the Dean of SEC football coaches by tenure, and this is a time when Stoops’ UK program could leapfrog UT on a long term basis on the field and on the recruiting trail. Beating UT in recruiting is part of dominating inside the state of KY. UT wanted Jager Burton, Jordan Lovett, Vito Tisdale, and Octavious Oxendine. UT also recruits a lot of players from GA and the Carolinas, where head on competition with UK has been increasing steadily since Stoops got here. And Coaches Wolford and Sumrall have hs connections all over UT’s primary recruiting territory.

As I have predicted without wavering since the very beginning of this thread, Grant Bingham from Paintsville has now publicly committed to UK. Bingham is UK’s first commitment in this class on the offensive unit, and fourth overall public commitment. At this stage, he probably projects as a SEC RT or RG. Bingham, who is being recruited by Coaches Marrow and Wolford, holds at least five SEC offers and at least four B10 offers. He has also been offered by Stanford, Miami, and ND. Coach Marrow has been the primary recruiter, but we should not underestimate Coach Wolford’s impact on Bingham’s commitment. I believe his commitment is firm and will definitely result in a December signing.

For those who are wondering, former UK LB Kash Daniel is also from Paintsville, which is hardcore UK country.

UK’s current 2022 recruiting class-
Grant Bingham, OL, Paintsville, KY
Jeremiah Caldwell, ATH, Belleville, MI
Treyveon Longmire, DB, Corbin, KY
Andre Stewart, DB, Snellville, GA

More UK football commitments are pending in the next six weeks, and Stoops’ class is on track for significant good news.

I haven’t seen anyone on this thread call Goodwin an “Indiana kid”. It is a fact that Goodwin is a kid from Louisville who is playing his senior season at a metropolitan Louisville area hs in southern IN. We all understand this. Neither aspect is in UK’s favor. UK has not signed a football player from an IN hs so far during in Stoops’ tenure, and Jefferson Co has not generally been friendly territory either (with a few exceptions such as Casey, JJ, and Crumes). UK is up against OH St and Bama for Goodwin, and they seriously want him. We have a good shot, but this is not a layup. It is what it is. Why try to make a confrontational issue out of it?

Wiltfong just put in two CB's for the Wade brothers to Tennessee

I know @Rock_Cat78 said they might be UK bound so maybe Wiltfong is wrong for the first time in forever.

Reactions: Cat4life03
If they come to UK, and there is a decent chance that they might, both will probably be developed on the defensive unit. Both have 3-4 LB body types.

So far, this class is heavily skewed toward the defensive unit. Not surprising at all, given that UK’s offensive coaching staff has been rebuilt since January. But we appear to be on the verge of receiving some offensive commitments that are on Coach Coen’s priority list. I am not specifically referring to Wimsatt, who should end up at UK sooner or later.

Wiltfong just put in two CB's for the Wade brothers to Tennessee

I know @Rock_Cat78 said they might be UK bound so maybe Wiltfong is wrong for the first time in forever.
Feel like this would sting a little do the fact we have alot of recruiting momentum and Tenn is a mess right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT