ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2022 Recruiting

How bout running backs ,got any of those guys in jersey ,i hope settle can find somebody
Not really for 2022. We’re looking at a couple of OOS players for this class. 2021 had Estime (ND) and 2020 had Berger (Wisconsin) who we were hoping to get and should both be players.

Kentucky is a FINALIST for 5 star DE Mykel Williams. If you would've told me this 10 years ago, I would've laughed in your face. He'll likely end up going to Georgia BUT to be in the conversation is what I wanted in the first place and Stoops has lived up to his promise in his introduction press conference, where he said, we'll back down to nobody in recruiting.

A month ago MW was basically committed to UGA, was scheduled to announce early in March, but decided to delay. When that happens its usually not a good sign for the leader at the time. Now I don't know who gave him cause to slow his process down, but will be a tough loss for us if he doesn't sign with UGA. But someone gave him something to think about.

A month ago MW was basically committed to UGA, was scheduled to announce early in March, but decided to delay. When that happens its usually not a good sign for the leader at the time. Now I don't know who gave him cause to slow his process down, but will be a tough loss for us if he doesn't sign with UGA. But someone gave him something to think about.
His film is very, very impressive for sure. You guys already have two five star and one four star DL committed, so how about giving us this one?

It looks like you all have a good shot at Samuel Brown RB from PA
Seems like it but we’re all a little on edge still. The forecasts for him all came in before Wimsatt. We were speculating that maybe they were waiting until after we left the tournament to commit but obviously neither has at this point. Think he’s a safer bet than Wimsatt at the moment though.

Honestly, it’s night and day with Schiano back. He finally has a real staff, some facilities, and a decent conference behind him and the whole roster is going to have a different look by the 2022 season in all likelihood. Think we’re in the same boat as you guys though from what I understand (need a QB and have limited targets left for 2022).

Not sure what you’re all expecting for this class so far? Seems like you should have a lot of solid upperclassmen for this season and a top 25 class with 5-7 4 stars is usually the ceiling? I think that’s pretty much what we’re looking for too with a class around 35 as probably the minimum we’d be happy with.

As everyone knows, the NCAA did not assess a season of eligibility for players who played football in the COVID shortened 2020 season. According to UK's official website, UK's football team will have 90 scholarship players by next September. This number includes 10 freshmen who will enroll this coming summer plus transfers Will Levis and TreVon Morgan who will also enroll in time for the fall semester. It also takes into account all 2020 UK players who have announced entering the NCAA's transfer portal. It is anticipated that more players will enter the transfer portal during the spring and summer, as usual.

Eight true freshmen and three transfers enrolled in January for UK's spring semester. In other words, 80 scholarship players are enrolled at UK this spring according to the school's official website.

Next year's UK football team is scheduled to include 18 seniors. This number includes six players who were seniors in 2020 but decided to return under the NCAA's one-time COVID ruling.

Therefore, given current numbers, Mark Stoops has 13 scholarships to fill in his 2022 recruiting class. That number includes the three hs players who have already committed to UK. If/when more UK undergrad players enter the transfer portal or give up football, the number of available 2022 football scholarships will increase accordingly. At the end, a rough guess would be that Stoops might have 15-20 scholarships to fill in the class, but that might still turn out to be conservative.
There may end up being more transfers out but there doesn't have to be does there? I think there are 5 or 6 fifth year seniors. With the Covid rule, wouldn't that allow them to carry 90 or 91 this year?

His film is very, very impressive for sure. You guys already have two five star and one four star DL committed, so how about giving us this one?
We going to lose 4 off the the DL this year he was suppose to be the 4th DL in this class, could still be, one of our coaches is from Columbus. I am not sure, but I think it's Clemson that caused the delay in his announcement, but he is in extreme west Georgia and they don't recruit there as well as they do the Atlanta area.

Reactions: UKat1
Also, I think it is telling that Kentucky never moved on to other QB's in the class (at least not publicly). I certainly don't think the recruitment is over, but I do believe things have likely swung back into Kentucky's favor.
It is very telling that UK's coaches have not moved on to expand their QB recruiting board. They believe we will sign Wimsatt. So do I. But I suspect Wimsatt's commitment will take some time. Earlier, I thought it would happen this spring. That's still a possibility, but I suspect this could stretch into the summer or fall.

There may end up being more transfers out but there doesn't have to be does there? I think there are 5 or 6 fifth year seniors. With the Covid rule, wouldn't that allow them to carry 90 or 91 this year?
We are currently under the NCAA scholarship limit for the spring semester, since eight 2021 signees plus two transfers (Levis and Morgan) aren't enrolled for the spring semester.

There will be more undergrad departures to come, since there are always departures every year after spring practice. So I think the question will become moot over the next two months.

I have not heard any granular announcement yet from the NCAA on how their forgiveness of the football eligibility assessment in 2020 will affect the total scholarship rule in 2021. That doesn't mean they haven't announced it. It's just that I have never been able to find it. But there has to be a one year accommodation of some sort. I just don't think UK will need it. However, the total size of our 2022 recruiting class will depend on upcoming undergrad departures. Without more departures, Stoops can only sign 13 players in the class. But as I suggested, there will be more departures. There always are.

Heck I read on another site that he was still a silent verbal to Georgia but was just hoping to take some campus visits. Who knows.

Seems like it but we’re all a little on edge still. The forecasts for him all came in before Wimsatt. We were speculating that maybe they were waiting until after we left the tournament to commit but obviously neither has at this point. Think he’s a safer bet than Wimsatt at the moment though.

Honestly, it’s night and day with Schiano back. He finally has a real staff, some facilities, and a decent conference behind him and the whole roster is going to have a different look by the 2022 season in all likelihood. Think we’re in the same boat as you guys though from what I understand (need a QB and have limited targets left for 2022).

Not sure what you’re all expecting for this class so far? Seems like you should have a lot of solid upperclassmen for this season and a top 25 class with 5-7 4 stars is usually the ceiling? I think that’s pretty much what we’re looking for too with a class around 35 as probably the minimum we’d be happy with.
I’m SO glad Schiano is there and not at Tennessee!

Heck I read on another site that he was still a silent verbal to Georgia but was just hoping to take some campus visits. Who knows.

That was the thinking, unlike Dabo, Kirby will let a kid take visits. So that wouldnt have been a factor, Mims was a silent for 6 months before he announced last class and took multiple visits. Dabo is such a dweeb, he wont allow kids comitted to Clemson, but will do his best to get kids committed elsewhere to visit Clemson.

Last edited:
That was the thinking, unlike Dabo, Kirby will let a kid take visits. So that wouldnt have been a factor, Mims was a silent for 6 months before he announced last class and took multiple visits. Dabo is such a dweeb, he wont allow kids comitted to Clemson, but will do his best to get kids committed elsewhere to visit Clemson.

I actually like that rule. Don't commit until you're ready. Once you're committed, no real reason to keep taking visits. But if that's something you want to do go ahead and decommit...go nuts lol. Mack is kinda the same way.

You have to look at it from a coach's point of view too. Some of these guys want to reserve a spot, but keep looking around. Then you're left hanging and have to find a replacement. Clemson doesn't send out a lot of offers and neither do we. If you look, I think they only have like 50 or 60 offers as opposed to say Tennessee with almost 400. And once a spot is filled, they don't really "churn" that much. I guess that's the flipside.

I actually like that rule. Don't commit until you're ready. Once you're committed, no real reason to keep taking visits. But if that's something you want to do go ahead and decommit...go nuts lol. Mack is kinda the same way.

You have to look at it from a coach's point of view too. Some of these guys want to reserve a spot, but keep looking around. Then you're left hanging and have to find a replacement. Clemson doesn't send out a lot of offers and neither do we. If you look, I think they only have like 50 or 60 offers as opposed to say Tennessee with almost 400. And once a spot is filled, they don't really "churn" that much. I guess that's the flipside.

It's fine if you want to have your commits not visit, but dont do everything in your power to get kids committed to other schools to visit Clemson.

As for the number of offers, watch that increase in the next few days. I personally dont believe that number would be accurate, but that is what rivals has no one signs 50% of their offers.

Hate when coaches do that. If you don’t allow committed players to visit other schools you should not allow (not to mention try and persuade) players that have committed elsewhere to visit you. Simple as that. Or just don’t be a d1ck and stop the whole “once you commit you can’t visit anyone else” nonsense.

I would prefer a kid not to visit anyone else once they commit here but I understand things change. The word commitment has really been watered down.

So because your roommate didn’t like the state, that makes it one of the last places in the country most people would want to live?

Again, based on actual data one could say the same about Kentucky and it would potentially be more accurate. I certainly wouldn’t want to move there but can understand the appeal for people with different personalities and lifestyles. Maybe NJ is the last place most people from Kentucky would want to live, but Kentucky is not the center of the universe and different people can and do like different things. Hence, my calling it ignorant.

If there’s some actual basis behind your saying that, it would change things in my mind, but there doesn’t seem to be.

Good luck with the recruiting battle.

Didn't he say he had spent a lot of time in New Jersey. How much time have you spent in Kentucky?

Hate when coaches do that. If you don’t allow committed players to visit other schools you should not allow (not to mention try and persuade) players that have committed elsewhere to visit you. Simple as that. Or just don’t be a d1ck and stop the whole “once you commit you can’t visit anyone else” nonsense.

I would prefer a kid not to visit anyone else once they commit here but I understand things change. The word commitment has really been watered down.
Of course I would prefer kids committed to UGA not take other visits. But reality is it's a once in a lifetime opportunity for many of them and if I were in their situation I would want to take all my free visits too. We have 2-3 that flip every year, some hurt, some not so much.

Eh, I called one post ignorant which was, based on the supporting data. I’d expect the same had I said something ignorant about your great state. No grudges on my end though; I understand that it’s recruiting and fans will say what they need to!

Sincerely do hope you can all visit one day.

There are some amazing scenic places to visit out west, National Parks, great trout streams, lots of space, New Jersey is way down my list of places I want to visit. But thanks for the invite.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
We are currently under the NCAA scholarship limit for the spring semester, since eight 2021 signees plus two transfers (Levis and Morgan) aren't enrolled for the spring semester.

There will be more undergrad departures to come, since there are always departures every year after spring practice. So I think the question will become moot over the next two months.

I have not heard any granular announcement yet from the NCAA on how their forgiveness of the football eligibility assessment in 2020 will affect the total scholarship rule in 2021. That doesn't mean they haven't announced it. It's just that I have never been able to find it. But there has to be a one year accommodation of some sort. I just don't think UK will need it. However, the total size of our 2022 recruiting class will depend on upcoming undergrad departures. Without more departures, Stoops can only sign 13 players in the class. But as I suggested, there will be more departures. There always are.

Seems to me allowing an extra year of eligibility to a lot of players will hurt a lot of high school seniors wanting a free ride if they don't make some allowance. I think they have to consider it.

Thug U always sends out a ton of offers, most of which aren't worth the paper they are written on.

As a review of this thread will demonstrate, I have believed for months that UK will sign both Bingham and Wimsatt. This wasn't just what I "wanted to believe", as one poster put it. I felt, and still continue to believe, that Coach Marrow got in very early on the instate prospects he prioritized in this class, and has done a tremendous job recruiting them. Hiring Coach Coen has only helped. Besides that, the NCAA's extended dead period will help UK this year with instate prospects.
Rembrandt90 what’s your impression of Wagner coming to Ky

I think I read on the NCAA site that players using the 2021 Covid Exemption (Seniors) will not count against the 85 limit. My thinking, there are 5 or 6 using that exemption, we could realistically run with 90-91 for the upcoming season. Stoops pretty much said he expects more transfers, I would think you're correct in that assumption.

No no, Thug U, UL is Transfer U, although they have slacked off a bit. Thug U will probably never change.
And Thug U earned that name from me when they had the EIGHT football thugs get the one fatty down and kick him in the head sending him to the hospital with a concussion. Originally he was arguing with the 6' 4" 320# DT that apparently needed help. Then on the way out they also assaulted an off duty cop, that forgot to file charges. Then the OIC "forgot" to collect the surveillance film until the next day, when, amazingly, the owner (who never charged football players admission) discovered the film was bad, so no way to prove anything. Then the HC interviewed the players but had no way to force any of them to say what happened. LOL, end of fairy tale.

3. Kentucky is a smart pick to land Kiyaunta Goodwin.​

Kiyaunta Goodwin

Kiyaunta Goodwin (Josh Helmholdt / Rivals)
Gorney’s take: FICTION. I believe all the Kentucky hype and the connections there and that the Wildcats have been doing a great job recruiting him. But if Ohio State wants somebody, especially within driving distance, then the Buckeyes rarely lose those recruiting battles. From everything I know it sounds very unlikely
Kiyaunta Goodwinwill venture far from home to play college football so this really comes down to a battle between Kentucky and Ohio State. I completely get how the Wildcats could win out here but I’m not willing to give up on Ohio State yet.

Rowland’s take: FACT. I'm feeling pretty confident about my FutureCast for Kiyaunta Goodwin to Kentucky. For a long time there was a widespread assumption that he was going to end up at Ohio State but Kentucky has always been confident about him. He's been around UK since he was a junior high kid and they offered so early in the process. Vince Marrow has really locked down the state and offensive line coach Eric Wolford has gotten a good reception as well. If I had to guess I'd say COVID shutting down visits to other places has helped UK, a school he was familiar with well before all of that started. They're telling him that he's their No. 1 priority in the class and that pitch seems to be doing well for them. I don't think I'll be flipping the pick from UK.

I have not heard any granular announcement yet from the NCAA on how their forgiveness of the football eligibility assessment in 2020 will affect the total scholarship rule in 2021. That doesn't mean they haven't announced it. It's just that I have never been able to find it. But there has to be a one year accommodation of some sort. I just don't think UK will need it. However, the total size of our 2
Rembrandt90 what’s your impression of Wagner coming to Ky
Uphill battle. We have a shot, but I am not very optimistic at this point.

Last edited:

3. Kentucky is a smart pick to land Kiyaunta Goodwin.​

Kiyaunta Goodwin

Kiyaunta Goodwin (Josh Helmholdt / Rivals)
Gorney’s take: FICTION. I believe all the Kentucky hype and the connections there and that the Wildcats have been doing a great job recruiting him. But if Ohio State wants somebody, especially within driving distance, then the Buckeyes rarely lose those recruiting battles. From everything I know it sounds very unlikely
Kiyaunta Goodwinwill venture far from home to play college football so this really comes down to a battle between Kentucky and Ohio State. I completely get how the Wildcats could win out here but I’m not willing to give up on Ohio State yet.

Rowland’s take: FACT. I'm feeling pretty confident about my FutureCast for Kiyaunta Goodwin to Kentucky. For a long time there was a widespread assumption that he was going to end up at Ohio State but Kentucky has always been confident about him. He's been around UK since he was a junior high kid and they offered so early in the process. Vince Marrow has really locked down the state and offensive line coach Eric Wolford has gotten a good reception as well. If I had to guess I'd say COVID shutting down visits to other places has helped UK, a school he was familiar with well before all of that started. They're telling him that he's their No. 1 priority in the class and that pitch seems to be doing well for them. I don't think I'll be flipping the pick from UK.
Eric Wolford is a strong recruiter. Like everyone else, I was heartbroken about Coach Schlarman. With that being understood, Coach Stoops has done an excellent job of rebuilding the offensive coaching staff. Coach Wolf is a perfect fit on our staff.

Goodwin’s recruitment is a different subject. UK is high on Goodwin’s list, so that’s the good news. But I am trying to remember the last time UK signed a hs football player out of the state of IN. I think it might have been Jon Toth. I don’t remember Mark Stoops signing an IN hs player. That doesn’t mean he can’t sign Goodwin, but I suspect this will be harder than it might look. Every school wants 6’7” four star LTs. If OH St really wants Goodwin, and I think they do, it will be difficult. That doesn’t mean it can’t be done.

Eric Wolford is a strong recruiter. Like everyone else, I was heartbroken about Coach Schlarman. With that being understood, Coach Stoops has done an excellent job of rebuilding the offensive coaching staff. Coach Wolf is a perfect fit on our staff.

Goodwin’s recruitment is a different subject. UK is high on Goodwin’s list, so that’s the good news. But I am trying to remember the last time UK signed a hs football player out of the state of IN. I think it might have been Jon Toth. I don’t remember Mark Stoops signing an IN hs player. That doesn’t mean he can’t sign Goodwin, but I suspect this will be harder than it might look. Every school wants 6’7” four star LTs. If OH St really wants Goodwin, and I think they do, it will be difficult. That doesn’t mean it can’t be done.

Rembrandt,
IIRC, Goodwin attended school (including Ballard last year) several years in Louisville before moving to Indiana (just over the river from Louisville-Jeffersonville maybe?) for this past season.
That's what I recall-could be wrong.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Rembrandt,
IIRC, Goodwin attended school (including Ballard last year) several years in Louisville before moving to Indiana (just over the river from Louisville-Jeffersonville maybe?) for this past season.
That's what I recall-could be wrong.
He is a Louisville kid. Transferred to play for one of the coaches from Aspiration. Seems like a great move, as he lost 100 lbs and became a big time recruit

I am well aware Goodwin grew up in the Louisville area and transferred to a southern IN hs. That does not change my thinking that it will be difficult to beat out OH St if OH St’s coaching staff really wants him. Being an instate kid from Louisville has not historically been a recruiting advantage for UK, even though Coach Marrow has made progress in recent years. Note, I am not saying it can’t be done. It can. I am saying it will be difficult, although Coaches Marrow and Wolford are strong recruiters.

Reactions: Girthang
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT