ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2022 Recruiting

There is a pretty good chance Wimsatt will transfer in a year or two anyway cause , that’s just the what quarterbacks do these days . I won’t fret over losing Wimsatt one bit . I dont think the UK staff will either.
I agree.

Some posters are closely tied to star ratings as a rigid criterion for their opinions. Some posters also seem to think UK must sign every instate prospect (“control” our state). I am not in either camp. IMO, this coaching staff has proven themselves as talent evaluators and recruiters, and now deserve the benefit of the doubt. And as I look at our 2022 recruiting class, it looks very good at this stage. So I am feeling positive, and my mind will not change because of one player.

But if, for any reason, a 96 point 4 star QB prospect from Owensboro commits to another school, you can expect this board to light up like a pinball machine with doubters slamming Coach Stoops. There is a history to this.

A shrinking but committed minority within our fan base will always be anti-Stoops, no matter how much he accomplishes. Even if it were to turn out that Liam Coen didn’t believe Wimsatt fit right in his new offense, some posters would frame it as proof that Stoops can’t get it done here. These types pop up out of the woodwork whenever they believe they can make their negative case, then disappear when Stoops succeeds. In their hearts, they just don’t want Stoops to be successful here.

My belief is that SEC schools located in large states must control recruiting inside their state, but SEC schools in small states must recruit very effectively within a driving radius of their campus. UK’s core recruiting territory is KY, OH, MI, TN, GA, AL, and Coach Stoops has also tried to recruit in IN, MO, VA, MD, FL, and the Carolinas. Benny Snell and Lynn Bowden are from OH. Chris Rodriguez, Yusuf Corker, Jamin Davis, and Trevin Wallace are from GA. The refs don’t withhold points from UK when a Wildcat from out of state scores a TD. If a UK player plays well, it doesn’t matter where he grew up. If a UK player plays poorly, being from instate doesn’t make it better.

No team signs every player they want. Not even Bama does that. Our coaches know what they are doing. Coach Coen is installing a new offense. Coach Coen was a QB in his playing days, and has coached in the NFL. It is his job to put the right people in the right offensive roles. I believe he will be successful here. Others may disagree if they don’t like every development in the recruiting class, but the good thing is that these developments will have a chance to prove themselves over time.

Last edited:
This makes me think we probably aren't going to take a high school QB this year outside of Wimsatt. Drew Allar would have been a perfect fit for us but as of right now I don't see many great options. We'll probably hit the transfer portal next spring/summer for a young QB would be my guess because there's almost no chance Destin Wade stays at QB.
You can take allar once psu fires that bum franklin

I’m going to make an uneducated guess that Wimsatt saw Gatewood, Levis, Allen, Scalzo, and Sheron, each with 3-4 years of remaIning eligibility at UK. And if Liam Coen wasn’t completely sold on Wimsatt, then it would be very easy to understand why this announcement didn’t go our way. But Rutgers? That’s a real head scratcher. Early PT, for sure. But it’s NJ. Good luck to the kid.

I think Afari, Goodwin, and Landers will commit to UK over the next 1-2 weeks or so. Maybe the Wade twins, too, although that may depend on how their visit to Lexington goes. When all of that gets resolved, the sting of Wimsatt’s verbal commitment to Rutgers should quickly lessen.

Looking at UK’s future OL, a foundation of Goodwin, Landers, Burton, Adams, Jones, Young, Rodriguez, Wohlabaugh, Lewis, Horsey, and Flax is very encouraging. This is Great Blue Wall 2.0, and it will be very attractive to skill position athletes even if Wimsatt didn’t see it that way this week.

We still need more receivers and edge defenders.

If they don't take another a high school qb this cycle, I would think that says a lot about how they feel with the qb room as it stands today.
Also, there is now the portal to consider. One other thing, Coen now has the freedom to truly target his guy. Wimsatt was a little bit of an odd case where he blew up in the rankings and his offer sheet never matched his ranking and if you are Stoops, you had no choice but to recruit the kid. Speaking of Coen, as I mentioned, he can now sell really hard to guys in the 2023 class as well. They are really trying hard to make a pitch to #1 QB Malachi Nelson.

Addressing the post above on future commits, Alex Afari has set a commitment date for May 7th. I expect it to be UK. Kamarii Landers has set a commitment date for May 9th, but as of right now, he isn't a take for Kentucky or Michigan State, his top two schools. He may eventually become a take for Kentucky, but frankly, they have better prospects on their board right now. I expect next Friday that Kentucky will receive a commitment from the Wade twins and follow that up on Saturday with a commitment from Kiyaunta Goodwin.

FWIW, Ty Bryant, a UK legacy playing at Frederick Douglass hs in Lexington, won the MVP award for defensive backs at the Ohio Under Armour camp in Columbus last week. His FD teammate, WR Dane Key, also gained attention for his strong performance at the camp.

Our small recruiting class isn’t helping in that respect.
I actually think this is going to be a full class. Latest info suggests Kentucky may be taking 6 DB's and 5 OL. Throw in taking Jackson Smith as a Kicker and that is 12 guys (or half a full class right there). There's also a very real possibility that they take two TE's, as the thought is that Keaton Upshaw may be playing his last year at UK. Obviously, that's a long way from being settled, but if he shines in Coen's offense, it is certainly possible. They are already losing Rigg and Ognenovic has already transferred out.

I actually think this is going to be a full class. Latest info suggests Kentucky may be taking 6 DB's and 5 OL. Throw in taking Jackson Smith as a Kicker and that is 12 guys (or half a full class right there). There's also a very real possibility that they take two TE's, as the thought is that Keaton Upshaw may be playing his last year at UK. Obviously, that's a long way from being settled, but if he shines in Coen's offense, it is certainly possible. They are already losing Rigg and Ognenovic has already transferred out.
Whats your recruiting all 24 recruiting class mock?

Whats your recruiting all 24 recruiting class mock?
Will have a better handle on that in the coming weeks as Covid restrictions begin to go away, the Dead Period ends on May 31st and guys can take more visits. I feel very comfortable at this point in saying this will be the highest ranked class that Stoops will have signed. I do expect them to add the Wade twins and Goodwin to end this week. Alex Afari should jump on board on May 7th. That is 4 four star guys right there. Quinton Conley is a guy that I think they eventually get at TE. He officially visits in June. There are some other very highly regarded targets that Kentucky is in the mix with that haven't really been discussed in this thread.

I've honestly got used to it but 247 took away Caldwell's 4th star

Bingham will probably be next since he didn't choose Notre Dame
Caldwell never was a 4* at 247. I think what you are talking about is his composite ranking. ESPN finally rated him and he is a high three star there and that dropped his composite ranking from a 4* to a 3*.

Will have a better handle on that in the coming weeks as Covid restrictions begin to go away, the Dead Period ends on May 31st and guys can take more visits. I feel very comfortable at this point in saying this will be the highest ranked class that Stoops will have signed. I do expect them to add the Wade twins and Goodwin to end this week. Alex Afari should jump on board on May 7th. That is 4 four star guys right there. Quinton Conley is a guy that I think they eventually get at TE. He officially visits in June. There are some other very highly regarded targets that Kentucky is in the mix with that haven't really been discussed in this thread.
I've watched some of tape on Hero Kanu and since we're going after more Cali kids with Coen here. I hope we get him.

Caldwell never was a 4* at 247. I think what you are talking about is his composite ranking. ESPN finally rated him and he is a high three star there and that dropped his composite ranking from a 4* to a 3*.
I honestly didn't even know ESPN still did rankings. I haven't used that site for recruiting in years.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I've watched some of tape on Hero Kanu and since we're going after more Cali kids with Coen here. I hope we get him.
He's originally from Germany, so he has no real ties to any school or area. That said, the overwhelming amount of competition would make it not very likely on the surface

I've honestly got used to it but 247 took away Caldwell's 4th star

Bingham will probably be next since he didn't choose Notre Dame

It's a rite of passage as a UK commit, isn't it? Freakin criminal, but if the kids don't care, I don't care. I hope UK guys continue to shove the star rankings down people's throats by going in the early rounds and playing in the league.

Josh Kattus, TE, from Cincy OH got a CB to UK from Wiltfong today
His film does not match up with his offers and ranking. Kid has some juice to him. Catches everything and doesn't go down easy. I find it hard to believe there are 50 TE better than him.
His dad played TE at UM and went to play in the NFL for 6 years.

Rock,
Any chance staff can lure Gi'Bran Payne to UK?
Thanks.
Also, any good news/updates on Wagner?

His film does not match up with his offers and ranking. Kid has some juice to him. Catches everything and doesn't go down easy. I find it hard to believe there are 50 TE better than him.
His dad played TE at UM and went to play in the NFL for 6 years.
Looks like Marrow is leading the recruiting on him. This may be a done deal already.

No. 18 class after adding the Wade twins, UK could be in the Rivals Top 10 tomorrow.

Reactions: SosaUK87
As predicted here by several posters and by some credible members of the media as well, the Wade twins from Spring Hill, TN, have now chosen UK over UT. The twins unofficially visited UK's campus last weekend, and Keaton Wade confirmed today that the visit was decisive in finalizing the twins' school choice. Keaton also cited the great recruiting work done with the twins by Coaches Clinkscale, Coen, and White.

Keaton shared that he expects to be tried in practice initially as a Will and Jack LB. We might suspect that Jack LB would end up as his future position, since he has the body type and is known as a strong pass rusher.

Destin Wade shared that he is coming to UK to compete as a QB. Observers of this thread might recall this was first predicted more than a week ago by Rock Cat. Since UK did not pick up a commitment earlier from Gavin Wimsatt, this now seems like an ideal match. We may never know for sure whether Coach Coen prefers Destin at QB over Wimsatt in his prostyle offense, or whether Wimsatt's decision to announce for Rutgers opened up the QB scholarship in the class for Destin. Either way, Destin is a great get for Coen. He has ideal size and excellent athletic tangibles.

The twins have been widely recruited, and reportedly hold at least eight SEC offers among many others.

As everyone on this thread already anticipates, highly recruited OT Kiyaunta Goodwin will very likely commit to UK later this weekend. This is also being widely reported in the media. Goodwin will be one of the most notable commitments in the modern history of our football program.

UK's current 2022 recruiting class-

Grant Bingham, OL, Paintsville, KY
Jeremiah Caldwell, ATH, Belleville, MI
Treyveon Longmire, DB, Corbin, KY
Jackson Smith, K, Danville, KY
Andre Stewart, DB, Snellville, GA
Destin Wade, QB, Spring Hill, TN
Keaton Wade, LB, Spring Hill, TN

UK's class is currently headed in a very good direction. I anticipate at least four more public commitments to UK's class prior to June 21, which will be the end of the spring season. Goodwin and Alex Afari will be two of those. The only thing limiting the class right now is the uncertainty of how many scholarships will ultimately be available.

Last edited:
RE Deston to QB, my hunch there is that's similar to the situation back when we recruited Randall Cobb, we wanted him as a receiver but he wanted a shot at QB, rather than just vetoing that, they let him try QB and he quickly found out for himself that his future was as a receiver (although he did get spot duty as QB on occasion). Let the player experience and decide for himself. I might be wrong and he might become a great QB but my money is he winds up as a receiver or safety and he has a bright future at either spot.

RE Deston to QB, my hunch there is that's similar to the situation back when we recruited Randall Cobb, we wanted him as a receiver but he wanted a shot at QB, rather than just vetoing that, they let him try QB and he quickly found out for himself that his future was as a receiver (although he did get spot duty as QB on occasion). Let the player experience and decide for himself. I might be wrong and he might become a great QB but my money is he winds up as a receiver or safety and he has a bright future at either spot.
Destin's body type and athletic tangibles could match up at a number of positions including QB, WR, LB, or even S. He has had a lot of success as a hs QB. At the end of the day, SEC QBs must have leadership skills, pocket skills, good throwing mechanics, and accuracy. Generally, hs football doesn't tell us everything about whether a hs QB can play the position successfully in the SEC.

Maybe a bigger issue is that UK already has five scholarship QBs with 3-4 years of remaining eligibility. If Destin can beat them out in practice, he can play QB at UK. We can guess, but we won't know until he takes a shot at it in Lexington. But I don't think Coach Coen would be one of his primary recruiters if he didn't believe in the kid's skill set and intangibles as a leader of the offense.

Reactions: Girthang
ADVERTISEMENT