ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2022 Recruiting

I have spent a lot of time in NJ. I have a number of friends who live there. Be careful about prejudging other people’s ignorance when you don’t know them. It’s disappointing that you called my earlier post “ignorant of reality” without knowing, when the opposite is actually the case.

My roommate at UK, a great guy and an honor student, moved to NJ (near Rutgers) and couldn’t stand it. He moved back to KY after 6 months.

I still believe Wimsatt will end up choosing UK. But if he picks Rutgers, I predict he will transfer out of there within two years, tops.
So because your roommate didn’t like the state, that makes it one of the last places in the country most people would want to live?

Again, based on actual data one could say the same about Kentucky and it would potentially be more accurate. I certainly wouldn’t want to move there but can understand the appeal for people with different personalities and lifestyles. Maybe NJ is the last place most people from Kentucky would want to live, but Kentucky is not the center of the universe and different people can and do like different things. Hence, my calling it ignorant.

If there’s some actual basis behind your saying that, it would change things in my mind, but there doesn’t seem to be.

Good luck with the recruiting battle.

Goru said they didn't have money to pay players
We don’t have money to pay players. Have you seen our subsidies?

Not sure what the deal is with the over sensitive response. Just offering some feedback and self deprecating humor. Up to you guys if you want to interpret it differently.

Not sure what the deal is with the over sensitive response. Just offering some feedback and self deprecating humor. Up to you guys if you want to interpret it differently.
He asked who the poster was responding too. I merely answered his question. I never said nothing too you. There was def nothing in my response sensitive to anything. I honestly could not care less

Don't you just love p!$$!ng contests?
Again, didn’t come to start an argument, just clarify some things that were incorrect. Didn’t think there was anything less than civil about my OP but maybe it was perceived differently. My apologies if so to everyone. I’m sure Kentucky has a lot of wonderful aspects and hopefully you’ll all get a chance at some point to experience what Jersey has to offer (I think you guys would really like the outdoors areas in the far Northwest region of the state as well as the shore, and there’s plenty of good food and drink throughout!).

If there’s some actual basis behind your saying that, it would change things in my mind, but there doesn’t seem to be.

GORU, I’ll give anyone the benefit of the doubt. About all I know about Jersey is from the folks I knew who moved down from there . . . . not a favorable test group IMHO.

Perhaps the thing I most strongly hold against Rutgers and NJ is a well sourced magazine article I read years ago when Rutgers was playing some tough football.

The MidShipmen visited for a game and the student body (and lots of “alumni”) chanted “F@&k Navy,” throughout much of the game. The wife of the President of Annapolis left her seat to find safety away from the surly Rutgers crowd. These facts were pretty widely reported, against the backdrop of our actually being at war.

Yes, we all have a “few,” and I take pleasure (rarely) shutting up some of ours at Kroger Field showing less than hospitality.

But Rutgers and West Virginia have been mentioned as harsh and classless fan environments too often and too persistently for me to believe anything otherwise.

GORU, I’ll give anyone the benefit of the doubt. About all I know about Jersey is from the folks I knew who moved down from there . . . . not a favorable test group IMHO.

Perhaps the thing I most strongly hold against Rutgers and NJ is a well sourced magazine article I read years ago when Rutgers was playing some tough football.

The MidShipmen visited for a game and the student body (and lots of “alumni”) chanted “F@&k Navy,” throughout much of the game. The wife of the President of Annapolis left her seat to find safety away from the surly Rutgers crowd. These facts were pretty widely reported, against the backdrop of our actually being at war.

Yes, we all have a “few,” and I take pleasure (rarely) shutting up some of ours at Kroger Field showing less than hospitality.

But Rutgers and West Virginia have been mentioned as harsh and classless fan environments too often and too persistently for me to believe anything otherwise.
If you refuse to believe anything otherwise then you’re not giving the benefit of the doubt. Which is fine, you can be upfront about it.

I admittedly didn’t even know about the incident you referenced. Reading up on it, it seems like it was a small group of students and the university apologized. I personally have a number of friends who graduated from the Naval Academy and wouldn’t have said those things, but again, it’s up to you to determine how you want to judge people.

Won’t take any offense to being called a “harsh” fanbase or being compared to our couch-burning WVU friends. Honestly, don’t think we’re much different than other fanbases.

With that, I’ll head out. Again, hope you can all visit someday and see all of the great things the state and people have to offer vs. judging us based on people who in some cases don’t even live in the area anymore. Definitely check out a basketball game at the RAC, it’s a great environment!

---
You'd probably find a more receptive audience over on the Rutgers Football board, that is, if they have one.

Good to know. In Texas where is Rotgutzers... Texas? NJ?

So because your roommate didn’t like the state, that makes it one of the last places in the country most people would want to live?

Again, based on actual data one could say the same about Kentucky and it would potentially be more accurate. I certainly wouldn’t want to move there but can understand the appeal for people with different personalities and lifestyles. Maybe NJ is the last place most people from Kentucky would want to live, but Kentucky is not the center of the universe and different people can and do like different things. Hence, my calling it ignorant.

Good luck with the recruiting battle.
God bless you ,but the hills of Kentucky are were GOD lives' and is therefore the center of the universe.

I didn’t imply anything. I commented on the two main drawbacks of NJ and why they would typically be irrelevant to a Rutgers athlete. Appreciate the hospitality though.
Not sure why anyone would be surprised by the response you got. When you appear on another school's football fan board and call their posts ignorant, do you expect flowers?

NJ has twice as many people as KY, along with higher quality of life ranking, higher healthcare ranking, higher education ranking, stronger economic output, greater geographic diversity, greater access to major cities, and lower crime rates. More aggressive drivers and much higher taxes but we can’t afford to give our players cars or cash bags so those things probably won’t impact him too much.

I get that NJ is commonly a punchline but just wanted to correct your post because it’s pretty ignorant of reality and has me questioning if you’ve ever been to NJ outside of passing through on the Turnpike.

As for the Vandy comparison, that would’ve been pretty accurate pre-Schiano and Pikiell but the school’s been investing pretty heavily in staffs and facilities. Football recruiting was ranked similarly to UK this past class even with a relatively poor record (and has a shot to be top 30-35 this year), and basketball came within a minute or so of a Sweet 16 matchup they probably would’ve been favored in.

Again, not trying to start an argument and not sure what Wimsatt will do but just wanted to offer thoughts on some misconceptions.
twice as many people and how do the states compare in size.
kentucky 40,409 sq miles nj 8,729 sq miles sounds like they are
packed in like rats. if thats what you call quality of life.

Last edited:
Reactions: TIE543 and jauk11
We are nine months from the December signing date. That means any discussions of a college being favored by a hs player must be taken with a grain of salt. In fact, we don't even know which public verbal commitments will hold up.

Generally speaking, though, commitments to Stoops from hs players in the states of KY, TN, GA, AL, and MI have tended to hold up until signing day. Wandale is the only exception I can think of right now, and he has ended up back home anyway. OTOH, commitments out of OH and FL have been iffier. We have lost multiple committed players out of both states. I don't yet know what this has to do with 2022, but it is something to remember as we work through this new class between now and December.

Also keep in mind that the NCAA's extensions of the dead period have prohibited formal campus visits and in-home visits. This has had a huge impact on players' school decisions, and will continue to do so until the NCAA decides to open recruiting back up.

Anyway, near the beginning of this thread, I speculated about which hs football players would end up in UK's 2022 class. I will take another stab at it now.

Likely to sign with UK.

Instate-

Gavin Wimsatt, QB, Owensboro
Dane Key, WR, Lexington
Treyveon Longmire, DB, Corbin
Grant Bingham, OL, Paintsville
Ty Bryant, ATH, Lexington
Jackson Smith, K, Danville

Out of state-

Jeremiah Caldwell, ATH, Belleville, MI
Andre Stewart, DB, Snellville, GA

And keep an eye on these uncommitted players, who are interested in UK and being recruited by UK's coaches-

Aamil Wagner, OL, Dayton, OH
Ryan Baer, OL, Eastlake, OH
Kentrell Marks, RB, Cleveland, OH
Alex Afari, ATH, West Chester, OH
Brody Foley, TE, Cincinnati, OH
Josh Kattus, TE, Cincinnati, OH
Mykel Williams, DL, Columbus, GA
Jaron Willis, LB, Leesburg, GA
Marcus Allen, DB, Marietta, GA
Quinshon Judkins, RB, Pike Road, AL
Antonio Kite, ATH, Anniston, AL
Jarel Williams, WR, Saraland, AL
Keaten Wade, LB, Spring Hill, TN
Destin Wade, ATH, Spring Hill, TN
Fisher Anderson, OL, Franklin, TN
Myles Pollard, DB, Brentwood, TN
Eric Gaston, DL, Antioch, TN
Drew Bobo, OL, Columbia, SC
Torren Wright, LB, Kannapolis, NC
Desaun Williams, OL, Colonial Heights, VA
Daughtry Richardson, OL, Miami, FL
Junior Vandeross, RB, Tampa, FL
Myles Rowser, DB, Belleville, MI
Christian Rapley, WR, Belleville, MI
Deone Walker, DL, Detroit, MI
Lynn Wyche-El, slotR, Detroit, MI
Ka'Marii Landers, OL, Dearborn, MI
Dametrius Walker, DL, Muskegon, MI
Quinton Conley, WR, Kansas City, MO

We are nine months from the December signing date. That means any discussions of a college being favored by a hs player must be taken with a grain of salt. In fact, we don't even know which public verbal commitments will hold up.

Generally speaking, though, commitments to Stoops from hs players in the states of KY, TN, GA, AL, and MI have tended to hold up until signing day. Wandale is the only exception I can think of right now, and he has ended up back home anyway. OTOH, commitments out of OH and FL have been iffier. We have lost multiple committed players out of both states. I don't yet know what this has to do with 2022, but it is something to remember as we work through this new class between now and December.

Also keep in mind that the NCAA's extensions of the dead period have prohibited formal campus visits and in-home visits. This has had a huge impact on players' school decisions, and will continue to do so until the NCAA decides to open recruiting back up.

Anyway, near the beginning of this thread, I speculated about which hs football players would end up in UK's 2022 class. I will take another stab at it now.

Likely to sign with UK.

Instate-

Gavin Wimsatt, QB, Owensboro
Dane Key, WR, Lexington
Treyveon Longmire, DB, Corbin
Grant Bingham, OL, Paintsville
Ty Bryant, ATH, Lexington
Jackson Smith, K, Danville

Out of state-

Jeremiah Caldwell, ATH, Belleville, MI
Andre Stewart, DB, Snellville, GA

And keep an eye on these uncommitted players, who are interested in UK and being recruited by UK's coaches-

Aamil Wagner, OL, Dayton, OH
Ryan Baer, OL, Eastlake, OH
Kentrell Marks, RB, Cleveland, OH
Alex Afari, ATH, West Chester, OH
Brody Foley, TE, Cincinnati, OH
Josh Kattus, TE, Cincinnati, OH
Mykel Williams, DL, Columbus, GA
Jaron Willis, LB, Leesburg, GA
Marcus Allen, DB, Marietta, GA
Quinshon Judkins, RB, Pike Road, AL
Antonio Kite, ATH, Anniston, AL
Jarel Williams, WR, Saraland, AL
Keaten Wade, LB, Spring Hill, TN
Destin Wade, ATH, Spring Hill, TN
Fisher Anderson, OL, Franklin, TN
Myles Pollard, DB, Brentwood, TN
Eric Gaston, DL, Antioch, TN
Drew Bobo, OL, Columbia, SC
Torren Wright, LB, Kannapolis, NC
Desaun Williams, OL, Colonial Heights, VA
Daughtry Richardson, OL, Miami, FL
Junior Vandeross, RB, Tampa, FL
Myles Rowser, DB, Belleville, MI
Christian Rapley, WR, Belleville, MI
Deone Walker, DL, Detroit, MI
Lynn Wyche-El, slotR, Detroit, MI
Ka'Marii Landers, OL, Dearborn, MI
Dametrius Walker, DL, Muskegon, MI
Quinton Conley, WR, Kansas City, MO

Thanks Rembrandt. Interesting no mention of Goodwin...

As of now, Goodwin is likely Kentucky bound. Also, Ty Bryant won't be at UK.

Rock I’ve seen you mention about Bryant in a couple places.
What’s the deal? Not good enough or higher thought of guys at his position ahead of him?

What’s the deal? Not good enough or higher thought of guys at his position ahead of him?
Well, he just isn't a take for Kentucky. He is a DB and Kentucky's first three commits are DB's and Alex Afari is another one that is a Kentucky lean. Kentucky has just gotten better players at the position in this class.

Not sure why anyone would be surprised by the response you got. When you appear on another school's football fan board and call their posts ignorant, do you expect flowers?
Eh, I called one post ignorant which was, based on the supporting data. I’d expect the same had I said something ignorant about your great state. No grudges on my end though; I understand that it’s recruiting and fans will say what they need to!

Sincerely do hope you can all visit one day.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
twice as many people and how do the states compare in size.
kentucky 40,409 sq miles nj 8,729 sq miles sounds like they are
packed in like rats. if thats what you call quality of life.
Some areas are very densely populated and others are pretty rural. That’s one of the things I like personally—there’s something for everyone, whether you like mountains, beaches, cities, agriculture, etc., which I think runs counter to the prior post.

The most disappointing things for me are that NJ does have high property taxes, and that Rutgers doesn’t get a crack at UT every year (hope you guys keep getting the better of them!).

Eh, I called one post ignorant which was, based on the supporting data. I’d expect the same had I said something ignorant about your great state. No grudges on my end though; I understand that it’s recruiting and fans will say what they need to!

Sincerely do hope you can all visit one day.
Enough. Calling other people ignorant just because you disagree with them is a fool's errand, and probably says something about your powers of perception. Doing so as a guest on another school's fan forum is asking for a fight. Time will tell which of us is ignorant. For now, we agree to disagree. But if you expect a warm welcome here, you will need to hold up your end of the bargain. If you want to talk about NJ, there are plenty of more appropriate websites for that.

Now, if it is alright with you, we would like to get back to the subject of this thread, UK football recruiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: vikingfer
Rock could very well turn out to be right about Bryant. I wouldn't bet my own money otherwise. But there are a couple of things to consider. Bryant is being recruited by most schools as an ATH, not as a CB. He is capable of returning kicks at the D1 level, and he has enough speed and good enough hands to be developed as a receiver in an offense like Coach Coen's that will depend on yards after catch. Bryant would require a RS year at UK, but that isn't a deal breaker. Rock is right that, all other things being equal, UK has higher priorities than Bryant in the uncommitted 2022 WR and DB class. But there are no guarantees that Stoops can sign them. Besides that, Frederick Douglass hs has become a high recruiting priority for Stoops and Marrow, probably one of our two most important instate program priorities. Sometimes you take a borderline prospect like Bryant and give him the benefit of the doubt in order to strengthen an important recruiting relationship. If taking Bryant helps Coach Marrow get Dane Key, or puts UK in a better position for 2023, they might take Bryant. It will be interesting for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: GH_UKBBN92
Thanks Rembrandt. Interesting no mention of Goodwin...
UK is in the mix for Goodwin, although the competition is very difficult. UK gave him his first Power 5 offer, and he likes Coach Wolford. I thought about putting him on my list, but I don't think time will be on UK's side in this particular case. Would love for UK to sign him, though. Very high ceiling if he keeps his weight in check.

Reactions: vikingfer
UK is in the mix for Goodwin, although the competition is very difficult. UK gave him his first Power 5 offer, and he likes Coach Wolford. I thought about putting him on my list, but I don't think time will be on UK's side in this particular case. Would love for UK to sign him, though.

Personally I think we get Goodwin from things posted on HOB

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Personally I think we get Goodwin from things posted on HOB
I hope you are right. If he commits this spring, we are right there. But if he waits until the fall, it's going to be a lot more difficult.

I would just caution that nobody knows what Goodwin will do, regardless of which websites they subscribe to. Goodwin himself doesn't know yet. College football recruiting is very complicated, particularly for elite offensive tackles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dallas-Wild
Enough. Calling other people ignorant just because you disagree with them is a fool's errand, and probably says something about your powers of perception. Doing so as a guest on another school's fan forum is asking for a fight. Time will tell which of us is ignorant. For now, we agree to disagree. But if you expect a warm welcome here, you will need to hold up your end of the bargain. If you want to talk about NJ, there are plenty of more appropriate websites for that.

Now, if it is alright with you, we would like to get back to the subject of this thread, UK football recruiting.
Look, I’ll be frank with you and then you can keep going with this if you want. I called something you said ignorant because it was ignorant. I did not call you or any other posters ignorant and I’m fully confident you’re very knowledgeable about a variety of things, including college football.

I personally came in here looking to read more about Wimsatt (who seems like a great kid who will do well in life wherever he plays football) and just wanted to offer a good natured post trying to correct some misconceptions you had. Being attacked over that as well as a self-deprecating joke I made about our state is what it is; I certainly don’t think it’s a perception issue on my end though.

Regardless, again I’ll wish you best of luck on the recruiting battle and on beating the Vols again this year. You’re welcome to the Rutgers boards any time if you’d like to learn about NJ or the school!

Look, I’ll be frank with you and then you can keep going with this if you want. I called something you said ignorant because it was ignorant. I did not call you or any other posters ignorant and I’m fully confident you’re very knowledgeable about a variety of things, including college football.

I personally came in here looking to read more about Wimsatt (who seems like a great kid who will do well in life wherever he plays football) and just wanted to offer a good natured post trying to correct some misconceptions you had. Being attacked over that as well as a self-deprecating joke I made about our state is what it is; I certainly don’t think it’s a perception issue on my end though.

Regardless, again I’ll wish you best of luck on the recruiting battle and on beating the Vols again this year. You’re welcome to the Rutgers boards any time if you’d like to learn about NJ or the school!
Just give it a rest, man. This is a UK football recruiting thread, and it is clear that nobody cares what you think about living in NJ. Nobody cares about the limits of your perception. If you want to know more about Wimsatt, we can certainly discuss that.

Reactions: GORU2014
Lackford put two Futurecasts in for Bingham and Wimsatt to UK.
As a review of this thread will demonstrate, I have believed for months that UK will sign both Bingham and Wimsatt. This wasn't just what I "wanted to believe", as one poster put it. I felt, and still continue to believe, that Coach Marrow got in very early on the instate prospects he prioritized in this class, and has done a tremendous job recruiting them. Hiring Coach Coen has only helped. Besides that, the NCAA's extended dead period will help UK this year with instate prospects.

As everyone knows, the NCAA did not assess a season of eligibility for players who played football in the COVID shortened 2020 season. According to UK's official website, UK's football team will have 90 scholarship players by next September. This number includes 10 freshmen who will enroll this coming summer plus transfers Will Levis and TreVon Morgan who will also enroll in time for the fall semester. It also takes into account all 2020 UK players who have announced entering the NCAA's transfer portal. It is anticipated that more players will enter the transfer portal during the spring and summer, as usual.

Eight true freshmen and three transfers enrolled in January for UK's spring semester. In other words, 80 scholarship players are enrolled at UK this spring according to the school's official website.

Next year's UK football team is scheduled to include 18 seniors. This number includes six players who were seniors in 2020 but decided to return under the NCAA's one-time COVID ruling.

Therefore, given current numbers, Mark Stoops has 13 scholarships to fill in his 2022 recruiting class. That number includes the three hs players who have already committed to UK. If/when more UK undergrad players enter the transfer portal or give up football, the number of available 2022 football scholarships will increase accordingly. At the end, a rough guess would be that Stoops might have 15-20 scholarships to fill in the class, but that might still turn out to be conservative.

Last edited:

More p!$$!ng.

Just give it a rest, man. This is a UK football recruiting thread, and it is clear that nobody cares what you think about living in NJ. Nobody cares about the limits of your perception. If you want to know more about Wimsatt, we can certainly discuss that.
How often does Lackford show up around these parts? Not sure how reliable he typically is since we don’t have many recruiting battles with UL at this point. Is he generally pretty in tune with UK recruiting/Kentucky as a whole?

How often does Lackford show up around these parts? Not sure how reliable he typically is since we don’t have many recruiting battles with UL at this point. Is he generally pretty in tune with UK recruiting/Kentucky as a whole?
No not UK, but when it comes to Kentucky high school prospects, he is as good as it gets when it comes to getting info.

Some areas are very densely populated and others are pretty rural. That’s one of the things I like personally—there’s something for everyone, whether you like mountains, beaches, cities, agriculture, etc., which I think runs counter to the prior post.

The most disappointing things for me are that NJ does have high property taxes, and that Rutgers doesn’t get a crack at UT every year (hope you guys keep getting the better of them!).
grew up in the inner city never want to live in a city again but that's just me.

Reactions: GORU2014
No not UK, but when it comes to Kentucky high school prospects, he is as good as it gets when it comes to getting info.
Makes sense. Our publisher and a couple of the analysts still have him to RU which makes me feel okay but as you guys have said, it’s tough to pull OOS kids with the extended dead period. I think we’re all a little on edge with things having quieted down after all of those RU futurecasts cane in. Definitely an interesting recruitment (especially with Cinci in the background as a dark horse).

Makes sense. Our publisher and a couple of the analysts still have him to RU which makes me feel okay but as you guys have said, it’s tough to pull OOS kids with the extended dead period. I think we’re all a little on edge with things having quieted down after all of those RU futurecasts cane in. Definitely an interesting recruitment (especially with Cinci in the background as a dark horse).
RU definitely had the momentum a couple of weeks ago and Wimsatt apparently was close to committing, but then he didn't which isn't great if you are a Rutgers fan. Also, some reports suggest his mother isn't crazy about him going all the way to NJ. Obviously, nothing is over yet either way, but I think Rutgers may have missed their window to get him committed.

Also, I think it is telling that Kentucky never moved on to other QB's in the class (at least not publicly). I certainly don't think the recruitment is over, but I do believe things have likely swung back into Kentucky's favor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT