ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2022 Recruiting

Justin and Mike Farrell have picks in for Kentucky.
As you have pointed out before, college football recruiting is unpredictable. Until they sign, we don’t know for sure what any particular hs player will decide, even though we have a pretty good idea in some cases. Experts don’t know either, which is why crystal ball picks are often wrong and often get changed.

There are some obvious trends. Stoops and Marrow continue to recruit in OH, but are becoming noticeably pickier and more careful there. With Gran and Hinshaw gone now, recruiting in FL is being reduced except in some isolated cases involving Coaches Wolford and Clinkscale. Michael Smith’s departure seems to have brought an end to recruiting in LA. It appears that Josaih Hayes may have been an unusual case, as UK is not actively recruiting in MS in this 2022 class.

UK continues to recruit hard in MI, GA, TN, and AL. Especially GA, where Coaches White, Stewart, Sumrall, and Clinkscale are active. Recruiting in the Carolinas and up along the eastern seaboard seems to be on the increase. UK is still trying to break into MO and TX.

Coaches Marrow, Wolford, Clinkscale, White, and Sumrall are monster recruiters who continue to bring in most of UK’s new players. It remains to be seen what Coaches Coen’s, Settle’s, Bouknight’s, and Buffano’s full recruiting roles will be. When Coach Settle was at UW, he recruited primarily in WI, NJ, and TX.

Last edited:
As you have pointed out before, college football recruiting is unpredictable. Until they sign, we don’t know for sure what any particular hs player will decide, even though we have a pretty good idea in some cases. Experts don’t know either, which is why crystal ball picks are often wrong and often get changed.

There are some obvious trends. Stoops and Marrow continue to recruit in OH, but are becoming noticeably pickier and more careful there. With Gran and Hinshaw gone now, recruiting in FL is being reduced except in some isolated cases involving Coaches Wolford and Clinkscale. Michael Smith’s departure seems to have bought an end to recruiting in LA. It appears that Josaih Hayes may have been an unusual case, as UK is not actively recruiting in MS in this 2022 class.

UK continues to recruit hard in MI, GA, TN, and AL. Especially GA, where Coaches White, Stewart, Sumrall, and Clinkscale are active. Recruiting in the Carolinas and up along the eastern seaboard seems to be on the increase. UK is still trying to break into MO and TX.

The Coaches Marrow, Wolford, Clinkscale, White, and Sumrall are monster recruiters who continue to bring in most of UK’s new players. It remains to be seen what Coaches Coen’s, Settle’s, Bouknight’s, and Buffano’s full recruiting roles will be.
I would think some kids place a lot of importance on early playing time . That is probably an area Tennessee has an advantage over us right now. Heck , half their Team left .

I would think some kids place a lot of importance on early playing time . That is probably an area Tennessee has an advantage over us right now. Heck , half their Team left .
But UT is in trouble with the NCAA. They got caught redhanded handing paper bags full of cash to visiting recruits. That suggests sanctions are forthcoming, and that hurts recruiting. That is also a reason why their current players are leaving. So departures don’t necessarily help recruiting in this case.

Josh Edwards of 247 just put in 2 CB's for Wimsatt and Afari to UK

And one of them might be committing soon or both?
Afari has been on my list since the OP on this thread. He is from Lakota West hs, which also produced former Wildcats John Connor, Kyle Meadows, and George Asafo Adjei. Afari has made several unofficial visits to UK and is known to like our coaching staff a lot. I believe he is a candidate for a possible early verbal commitment to UK, maybe soon.

But UT is in trouble with the NCAA. They got caught redhanded handing paper bags full of cash to visiting recruits. That suggests sanctions are forthcoming, and that hurts recruiting. That is also a reason why their current players are leaving. So departures don’t necessarily help recruiting in this case.
They didn’t get caught. They turned themselves in which will bode well with the NCAA. They’ll probably get a 1 yr post season ban and 5 or so scholly reductions. Nashville and Knoxville have good TV markets and no school will ever get hammered hard again after the NCAA getting sued over PSU and Miami. They’ll probably have to miss a bowl this year, a year none of these current players will ever experience.

They didn’t get caught. They turned themselves in which will bode well with the NCAA. They’ll probably get a 1 yr post season ban and 5 or so scholly reductions. Nashville and Knoxville have good TV markets and no school will ever get hammered hard again after the NCAA getting sued over PSU and Miami. They’ll probably have to miss a bowl this year, a year none of these current players will ever experience.
You are missing the point. In this case, departures from the roster and creation of playing opportunities will not become a recruiting advantage for UT. And I predict UT’s recruiting class will suffer for it.

First I had heard of specific recruiting charge against them, but no doubt that would cover the waterfront, too long a list for one post.

First I had heard of specific recruiting charge against them, but no doubt that would cover the waterfront, too long a list for one post.
It was rumor based on what Dan Patrick said. Tennessee denied that happened. I don’t think they’d deny that if they know it’s all going to come out when the NCAA deals it’s punishments. I also don’t think the NCAA would let UT investigate themselves with something that blatant, which is what happened and they turned their findings over to Indianapolis

Penn State had a legal challenge based upon the argument that their scandal wasnt within the enforcement powers of the NCAA (similar to the UNC academic scandal) - its apples and oranges as it relates to the Tenn situation which is of course in the heartland of NCAA jurisdiction.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Penn State had a legal challenge based upon the argument that their scandal wasnt within the enforcement powers of the NCAA (similar to the UNC academic scandal) - its apples and oranges as it relates to the Tenn situation which is of course in the heartland of NCAA jurisdiction.
PSU as disgusting as it is, that makes more sense. UNC, that one was stupid and reeked of not wanting to bring a blue blood down. Who cares if students and athletes used those classes to get through school. There were athletes that played, who also were ineligible. That one was weak, real weak.

Volnation had posters claiming Kirby turned them in. What possible motive would Kirby have to turn Pruitt in? He was at best an average recruiter, a poor head coach and a disaster at managing his staff. But got to give him credit, he did a better job of destroying UCF north than Muschamp did at UF or Crackolina.

Based on what came out sounds like it could've been anyone that turned them in. Didn't sound like they were particularly careful

Michigan OL Kamarii Landers down to UK and Michigan State and committing on May 9th. Crystal Ball picks coming in for Kentucky on 247.

I thought UK wasn't recruiting him?? I seen on KSR that UK is recruiting Deone Walker from Michigan at OT. Is that correct? He is listed as a DT on here and 247.

As anticipated, Boyle Co hs placekicker Jackson Smith has now committed to UK.

UK’s current 2022 class-
Grant Bingham, OL, Paintsville, KY
Jeremiah Caldwell, ATH, Belleville, MI
Treyveon Longmire, DB, Corbin, KY
Jackson Smith, K, Danville, KY
Andre Stewart, DB, Snellville, GA

There has been an encouraging development in the recruitment of lineman Kiyaunta Goodwin, who will announce his college choice later this month. Bill Kurelic, a prominent OH St “insider”, recently submitted a “crystal ball” pick for UK. For a connected establishment OH St mouthpiece like Kurelic to predict Goodwin will choose UK goes a long way to ending the suspicion, and makes me more optimistic.

But by the same token, more media forecasts this week for Gavin Wimsatt to Rutgers are equally discouraging. Given the formidable offensive line UK is apparently building, one has to wonder why Wimsatt would want to get his brains beat out in NJ by B10 speed rushers when he could instead challenge for the SEC East title in a pro offense here in Lexington. But more and more, that seems to be developing.

The trend for Wimsatt toward Rutgers is troubling, but I expect UK to receive multiple important football commitments in the next six weeks anyway. Some promising QB prospect, whether Wimsatt or another, will jump at this opportunity. I doubt Coach Coen will fail to fill the scholarship with a high upside prospect, and I am even beginning to wonder if perhaps Coen has already identified another QB that he prefers. Not saying he has. Just wondering about the circumstantial evidence.

Last edited:
Wimsatt is a smart talented kid who could be the face of any program. Fans will love the kid, I think. But, if Rutgers and the B1G is where he wants to be, then he should go. He may see a lot of QBs at UK and the fact that UK may land a top QB next year. Competition is not attractive to everyone.

In the likely absence of Wimsatt in this class, it looks like UK is presenting Destin Wade the opportunity to be the QB in this class and that is no doubt assisting Kentucky in the twins recruitment. Now, whether he would ultimately stick at QB, that is another question, but the staff is apparently selling him on the opportunity.

In the likely absence of Wimsatt in this class, it looks like UK is presenting Destin Wade the opportunity to be the QB in this class and that is no doubt assisting Kentucky in the twins recruitment. Now, whether he would ultimately stick at QB, that is another question, but the staff is apparently selling him on the opportunity.
Do you see this as similar to Randall Cobb recruitment with UK adding a 2nd QB commitment, then giving both players a fair competition for mins? Or, do you think he becomes only QB recruit in the class. (Assuming the Wade bros commit to us.)

I would guess that Cobb, Bowden, and other converted QB’s playing multiple pos in NFL would cause him to want to soon get to position that gives the highest ceiling. Everyone would be happy if it he had great success at QB.

This makes me think we probably aren't going to take a high school QB this year outside of Wimsatt. Drew Allar would have been a perfect fit for us but as of right now I don't see many great options. We'll probably hit the transfer portal next spring/summer for a young QB would be my guess because there's almost no chance Destin Wade stays at QB.

As of right now, I believe the following players will commit to UK sooner rather than later-

Alex Afari, ATH, West Chester, OH
Kiyaunta Goodwin, OL, Charlestown, IN
Ka’Marii Landers, OL, Dearborn, MI

Afari is a product of Lakota West hs, which produced former Wildcats John Conner, Kyle Meadows, and George Asafo Adjei. Afari holds offers from at least four B10 schools as well as others in the B12 and PAC 12. He is being recruited by Vince Marrow as an ATH, although I have seen speculation that he might be developed as a WR or S at UK.

Prior to this week, I had some concerns about whether UK’s coaching staff could close the deal with Goodwin. As I posted yesterday, I changed my mind when Bill Kurelic, a well known, well connected OH St “insider”, posted a crystal ball pick for UK for Goodwin. For me, that cleared it up. Some posters on this thread were sold on Goodwin to UK earlier than I was, and it appears they were right. Goodwin will be one of the most impressive recruits to commit to UK since Mark Stoops got here in 2013. Reportedly, he holds offers from 14 SEC and at least 10 B10 schools, not to mention Clemson and OK. Goodwin will announce for UK in mid-April. Goodwin, a future SEC LT, is being recruited by Vince Marrow and Eric Wolford.

Landers is the least heralded of these three hs prospects, but it has been reported that UK’s coaches like him a lot for our interior OL. Landers holds offers from at least four B10 schools plus OR. He is being recruited by Steve Clinkscale.

The Wade twins from Spring Hill, TN, will apparently choose between UK and UT this month. Both coaching staffs have been pressing hard for their services. They hold offers from at least eight SEC schools. Steve Clinkscale is recruiting them for UK. I do not have a current guess to offer on which school they will choose, but sources in the media have logged recent predictions for both schools so someone will be wrong. It will be hard to close the deal, but Coach Clinkscale is right there, and the twins would be a big get for him.

Here are some other hs names believed to have a current interest in UK-

Fisher Anderson, OL, Franklin, TN
Ryan Baer, OL, Eastlake, OH
Drew Bobo, OL, Columbus, SC
Ty Bryant, ATH, Lexington, KY
Quinton Conley, WR, KS City, MO
Brody Foley, TE, Cincinnati, OH
Antonio Gates, Jr., WR, Dearborn, MI
Quinshon Judkins, RB, Pike Road, AL
Josh Kattus, TE, Cincinnati, OH
Dane Key, WR, Lexington, KY
Grayson Morgan, OL, Nashville, TN
Myles Pollard, DB, Brentwood, TN
Christian Rapley, WR, Belleville, MI
Daughtry Richardson, OL, Miami, FL
Junior Vandeross, RB, Tampa, FL
Aamil Wagner, OL, Dayton, OH
Dametrius Walker, DL, Muskegon, MI
Deone Walker, OL/DL, Detroit, MI
Desaun Williams, OL, Colonial Heights, VA
Michael Williams, LB, West Bloomfield, MI
Mykel Williams, DL, Columbus, GA
Jaron Willis, LB, Leesburg, GA
Lynn Wyche-El, slotR, Detroit, MI

Last edited:
As of right now, I believe the following players will commit to UK sooner rather than later-

Alex Afari, ATH, West Chester, OH
Kiyaunta Goodwin, OL, Charlestown, IN
Ka’Marii Landers, OL, Dearborn, MI

Afari is a product of Lakota West hs, which produced former Wildcats John Conner, Kyle Meadows, and George Asafo Adjei. Afari holds offers from at least four B10 schools as well as others in the B12 and PAC 12. He is being recruited by Vince Marrow as an ATH, although I have seen speculation that he might be developed as a WR or S at UK.

Prior to this week, I had some concerns about whether UK’s coaching staff could close the deal with Goodwin. As I posted yesterday, I changed my mind when Bill Kurelic, a well known, well connected OH St “insider”, posted a crystal ball pick for UK for Goodwin. For me, that cleared it up. Some posters on this thread were sold on Goodwin to UK earlier than I was, and it appears they were right. Goodwin will be one of the most impressive recruits to commit to UK since Mark Stoops got here in 2013. Reportedly, he holds offers from 14 SEC and at least 10 B10 schools, not to mention Clemson and OK. Goodwin will announce for UK in mid-April. Goodwin, a future SEC LT, is being recruited by Vince Marrow and Eric Wolford.

Landers is the least heralded of these three hs prospects, but it has been reported that UK’s coaches like him a lot for our interior OL. Landers holds offers from at least four B10 schools plus OR. He is being recruited by Steve Clinkscale.

The Wade twins from Spring Hill, TN, will apparently choose between UK and UT this month. Both coaching staffs have been pressing hard for their services. They hold offers from at least eight SEC schools. Steve Clinkscale is recruiting them for UK. I do not have a current guess to offer on which school they will choose, but sources in the media have logged recent predictions for both schools so someone will be wrong. It will be hard to close the deal, but Coach Clinkscale is right there, and the twins would be a big get for him.

Here are some other hs names believed to have a current interest in UK-

Ryan Baer, OL, Eastlake, OH
Drew Bobo, OL, Columbus, SC
Ty Bryant, ATH, Lexington, KY
Quinton Conley, WR, KS City, MO
Brody Foley, TE, Cincinnati, OH
Antonio Gates, Jr., WR, Dearborn, MI
Quinshon Judkins, RB, Pike Road, AL
Dane Key, WR, Lexington, KY
Myles Pollard, DB, Brentwood, TN
Christian Rapley, WR, Belleville, MI
Daughtry Richardson, OL, Miami, FL
Junior Vandeross, RB, Tampa, FL
Aamil Wagner, OL, Dayton, OH
Dametrius Walker, DL, Muskegon, MI
Desaun Williams, OL, Colonial Heights, VA
Michael Williams, LB, West Bloomfield, MI
Mykel Williams, DL, Columbus, GA
Jaron Willis, LB, Leesburg, GA
Lynn Wyche-El, slotR, Detroit, MI

From your post, I take it you have pretty much written off Wimsatt...?
Thanks for all of your contributions, by the way.

From your post, I take it you have pretty much written off Wimsatt...?
Thanks for all of your contributions, by the way.
I haven’t written off Wimsatt, because people can change their minds. These things don’t always go the way they look like they will go. Time is probably in UK’s favor with Wimsatt. In other words, the longer he goes without committing to Rutgers, the better for UK.

However, you now have UK insiders publicly predicting Wimsatt will commit to Rutgers. That isn’t good. It appears that Wimsatt’s Mom likes Rutgers.

It is possible that Wimsatt and his family want him to go out of state, and may have become enamored with Rutgers’ coaching staff. Things like that can happen.

It is possible that Wimsatt is looking at Gatewood, Allen, Levis, Scalzo, and Sheron, all of whom have 3-4 years of remaining eligibility.

It’s also possible that new UK OC Liam Coen might not be sold on Wimsatt. I am not saying that is the case, but anything is possible. Good football coaches consider other things besides star ratings.

In any case, it does not look like Wimsatt is headed to UK. That could change, but it doesn’t look good at the moment.

I haven’t written off Wimsatt, because people can change their minds. These things don’t always go the way they look like they will go. Time is probably in UK’s favor with Wimsatt. In other words, the longer he goes without committing to Rutgers, the better for UK.

However, you now have UK insiders publicly predicting Wimsatt will commit to Rutgers. That isn’t good. It appears that Wimsatt’s Mom likes Rutgers.

It is possible that Wimsatt and his family want him to go out of state, and may have become enamored with Rutgers’ coaching staff. Things like that can happen.

It is possible that Wimsatt is looking at Gatewood, Allen, Levis, Scalzo, and Sheron, all of whom have 3-4 years of remaining eligibility.

It’s also possible that new UK OC Liam Coen might not be sold on Wimsatt. I am not saying that is the case, but anything is possible. Good football coaches consider other things besides star ratings.

In any case, it does not look like Wimsatt is headed to UK. That could change, but it doesn’t look good at the moment.
There is a pretty good chance Wimsatt will transfer in a year or two anyway cause , that’s just the what quarterbacks do these days . I won’t fret over losing Wimsatt one bit . I dont think the UK staff will either.

Reactions: Davae9 and SosaUK87
ADVERTISEMENT