ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2021 recruiting

We received our third commitment for the 2020 Class on May 6, 2019. We appear to have three solid commitments, and might land a couple by May 6th to get us to five.

You may have had reason for larger expectations for our haul by mid-April, given your apparent flow of information, but by raw numbers, we are a tad ahead of last year.

This isn't just about commitments. Last year at this time, they were in on a lot of really talented guys. Just don't seem to be seeing that at this point in time for this class.

Rock, Why do you think that is? Is it the virus effect or something else.

If you'd like, go back to page four of this thread and I listed a few reasons that it feels like UK is a little behind. Beyond that, I'm not really sure. Every other team has has to deal with the virus so....

Reactions: JC-3
With the classes we have been bringing in and getting depth, the promise of early playing time may be an advantage we are losing. We signed a lot of the high 3 stars and low 4's with being able to offer early playing time. Maybe that is also a factor. They see UK as a place now where you have to "earn" the early playing time ? Just a thought. Not saying they did not have to before, but now more so than ever there are guys who are really talented that you can't just show up and take their playing time on the field. In the past if a player was on the fence, playing time at UK was the tie breaker a lot of times.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Hard to tell right now just how the 2021 class is going to shake out and which players will be included. For the first time in quite a while, I have no feel for who may ultimately join the class for the following reasons: 1) With Kentucky having zero home basketball games in January, it did not allow the staff to have any big Junior Day visits like all of the other schools. Whoever set the basketball schedule did the football Cats no favors this year. 2) The month of February was a dead period, so obviously no visits then either. 3) The month of March - We all know what happened there.

In summary, it almost seems like Kentucky is a bit behind right now with this class. Not really perhaps, but news just has not been there like in previous years and I feel a lot of that is due to the reasons mentioned above.
For the reasons you offered, it's likely that most Power 5 programs may take a little longer this year to settle on some of their decisions about taking certain prospects.

It's also likely that we, the guessing public, won't know as much about the recruiting preferences of Stoops' staff until much later this time. And if the June skills camps get postponed or cancelled, it will be that much more difficult to predict which players Stoops and Marrow like.

So, maybe most coaching staffs are a little behind at this point. Maybe UK's staff is a little behind. And, possibly, it is more difficult at this early point for accurate news to leak out, since hs football players might be more concerned with other life matters in view of the fact that there is no spring practice this year. But we do have four commitments.

Now that Devon Williams has decommitted and Chauncey Maywood has committed, this is the current status of our 2021 class-

Chauncey Magwood, WR, Leesburg, GA
Paul Rodriguez, OL, Mason, OH
Kaiya Sheron, QB, Somerset, KY
David Wohlabaugh, OL, Stow, OH

There is a growing expectation that speedy slot receiver Dekel Crowdus, a Lexington native, will commit to UK next month.

Two more prospects to keep an eye on are RB Kyree Young out of OH and OL Brody Wisecarver of MO, both of whom have been receiving recent crystal ball predictions for UK FWIW.

Here is a partial list who appear to be looking very closely at UK this spring-

Deshauwn Alleyne, LB, Port St. Lucie, FL
Trinity Bell, TE, Albertville, AL
Jager Burton, OL, Lexington, KY
Dekel Crowdus, slotR, Lexington, KY
Jordan Dingle, TE, Bowling Green, KY
Jamarius Dinkins, DL, Columbus, OH
Terrence Enos, OL, Detroit, MI
Kamonte Grimes, WR, Naples, FL
Shawn Hardy, WR, Kingsland, GA
Damond Harmon, DB, Highland Springs, VA
Jaydon Hood, LB, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Reece Jesse, WR, Hopkinsville, KY
Christian Lewis, WR, Pleasant Grove, AL
Jordan Lovett, DB, Ratcliff, KY
Joseph McKay, RB, Phenix City, AL
Javon Nelson, DL, Murfreesboro, TN
Alex Okelo, LB, Nashville, TN
Damon Payne, DL, Belleville, MI
Tyrell Raby, DB, Baton Rouge, LA
Terrence Rankl, OL, Massillon, OH
Zion Rucker, DL, Smyrna, TN
Armond Scott, WR, Euclid, FL
Quincy Skinner, WR, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
RJ Sorenson, DL, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Dalen Stovall, WR, Stow, OH
Tim Williams, DL, Clearwater, FL
Brody Wisecarver, OL, St. Louis, MO
Cameron Wright, WR, Batesville, MS
Lavell Wright, RB, Ratcliff, KY
Kyree Young, RB, Akron, OH

For those fans who might be getting discouraged about this class so early, I would point out four mitigating things to consider-

Since schools can't talk about uncommitted players under NCAA rules, most spring recruiting gossip generally comes from players, families, and hs coaches. This year, there is no spring practice anywhere in the country, and players aren't taking any unofficial visits because of the virus. So spring gossip is at a minimum. That doesn't mean UK won't sign another strong class in December.

Assuming the 2020 season is played (and I still believe it will be), UK will put a veteran team on the field that should go to a decent bowl game. That means prime time exposure which, in turn, should produce some good commitments in the fall.

UK already has commitments from Stoops' targeted QB and the core of another solid OL class. Stoops' favorite TE is probably leaning toward UK. After last year's strong class, Stoops can afford to be more patient and pick his recruiting targets carefully.

Benny Snell, Josh Allen, Bunchy Stallings, and Logan Stenberg were All Americans in Stoops' program. All four were very lightly recruited. This coaching staff has always overachieved in evaluating talent. Our coaches know what they are doing.

Last edited:
With the classes we have been bringing in and getting depth, the promise of early playing time may be an advantage we are losing.
That idea has been gone for a couple years now. Selling program's culture, facilities, player development, & quality team in SEC.

Now that Devon Williams has decommitted and Chauncey Maywood has committed, this is the current status of our 2021 class-

There is a growing expectation that speedy slot receiver Dekel Crowdus, a Lexington native, will commit to UK next month.

Two more prospects to keep an eye on are RB Kyree Young out of OH and OL Brody Wisecarver of MO, both of whom have been receiving recent crystal ball predictions for UK FWIW.

For those fans who might be getting discouraged about this class so early, I would point out four mitigating things to consider-

Since schools can't talk about uncommitted players under NCAA rules, most spring recruiting gossip generally comes from players, families, and hs coaches. This year, there is no spring practice anywhere in the country, and players aren't taking any unofficial visits because of the virus. So spring gossip is at a minimum. That doesn't mean UK won't sign another strong class in December.

Assuming the 2020 season is played (and I still believe it will be), UK will put a veteran team on the field that should go to a decent bowl game. That means prime time exposure which, in turn, should produce some good commitments in the fall.

UK already has commitments from Stoops' targeted QB and the core of another solid OL class. Stoops' favorite TE is probably leaning toward UK. After last year's strong class, Stoops can afford to be more patient and pick his recruiting targets carefully.

Benny Snell, Josh Allen, Bunchy Stallings, and Logan Stenberg were All Americans in Stoops' program. All four were very lightly recruited. This coaching staff has always overachieved in evaluating talent. Our coaches know what they are doing.

Good Stuff, Thanks!

Reactions: The-Hack
Should we be concerned with the lack of commitments currently? I live in TN, and they are signing a couple players a week right now. Maybe it means nothing, but I would like to see us snag a couple of guys to get this class going.

[

Is Jesse Reece any relation to Jerry who played at UK several years ago?

QUOTE="Rembrandt90, post: 8880895, member: 105867"]Now that Devon Williams has decommitted and Chauncey Maywood has committed, this is the current status of our 2021 class-

Benny Snell, Josh Allen, Bunchy Stallings, and Logan Stenberg were All Americans in Stoops' program. All four were very lightly recruited. This coaching staff has always overachieved in evaluating talent. Our coaches know what they are doing.[/QUOTE]

Is Jesse Reece any relation to Jerry who played at UK several years ago?

Don’t think so. This family loves UofL. But, they love Marrow.

I could see him going to Miss State with Leach, he really like Leach’s offense at Washington State.

Should we be concerned with the lack of commitments currently? I live in TN, and they are signing a couple players a week right now. Maybe it means nothing, but I would like to see us snag a couple of guys to get this class going.

UT basically pulled a bunch of 3 stars and then hit on a couple 4 stars that defaulted to the Vols because they weren't takes elsewhere. Brooks is really good but that one will probably go until NSD. That's not a knock on their class. It's just not nearly as good as they're hyping it to be right now and no reason for concern. I'm sure Stoops will get his and he's 10x better at developing talent.

Reactions: jauk11
Don’t think so. This family loves UofL. But, they love Marrow.

I could see him going to Miss State with Leach, he really like Leach’s offense at Washington State.

No wonder, I had his name backwards...thanks for the info; boy, Jerry was a good one!

UT basically pulled a bunch of 3 stars and then hit on a couple 4 stars that defaulted to the Vols because they weren't takes elsewhere. Brooks is really good but that one will probably go until NSD. That's not a knock on their class. It's just not nearly as good as they're hyping it to be right now and no reason for concern. I'm sure Stoops will get his and he's 10x better at developing talent.

Hilarious. It's April 2020 and you're saying Tennessee's good 2021 commitments are only picking Tennessee because they have no other options? Hilarious. Truth is Tennessee's staff just pulled the best player in Alabama (5 star) and 2 4 stars in 3 days.

Hilarious. It's April 2020 and you're saying Tennessee's good 2021 commitments are only picking Tennessee because they have no other options? Hilarious. Truth is Tennessee's staff just pulled the best player in Alabama (5 star) and 2 4 stars in 3 days.

Like I said, Brooks is good, but his recruitment likely goes until signing day. Wilcoxson was a UF decommit (not once, but twice) that chose UT after tOSU and Alabama wouldn't accept his commitment and UF wouldn't take him back - a UF staffer actually trolled him on Twitter after he committed to UT. Nixon is a TE in college. UGA and Auburn both told him no. UF didn't want him either. So, yeah, fake juice. They're scheduled commitments to give the appearance UT has momentum. That's not to say the Vols don't end up with a good class, but they're not sitting on top 10 average. Now, back to UK recruiting which is the topic of this thread.

Like I said, Brooks is good, but his recruitment likely goes until signing day. Wilcoxson was a UF decommit (not once, but twice) that chose UT after tOSU and Alabama wouldn't accept his commitment and UF wouldn't take him back - a UF staffer actually trolled him on Twitter after he committed to UT. Nixon is a TE in college. UGA and Auburn both told him no. UF didn't want him either. So, yeah, fake juice. They're scheduled commitments to give the appearance UT has momentum. That's not to say the Vols don't end up with a good class, but they're not sitting on top 10 average. Now, back to UK recruiting which is the topic of this thread.

That's great. So many excuses. Tennessee is about to get the commit of #10 overall Terrence Lewis. Go ahead and start crafting your excuse for that one.

Reactions: bassmaster_vol
You guys have to learn the power of ignore for attentino seekers. The instinct is to repond but you're playing right to them. Put your self in their shoes and think about what happens to them when they hit the post button on a smart ass remark and nobody acknowledges it.

Its kills it completely.

As of now Tennessee is putting together an awesome class. Florida is projected to land 2 five star recruits to their current top 5 class. It is early but we are a little behind this year. Someone said we have more recruits but I don't see anywhere near the quality or expectation of last year's class. Hope I am wrong

Reactions: Levibooty
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT