ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2021 recruiting

U.K. is clearly behind. They can still finish strong, but they are behind today.
Since we don't know where UK stands with their top uncommitted targets now, it's difficult for me to see this as you see it, as of this date in early May. I am expecting a commitment soon from Dekel Crowdus, and perhaps several others. After seeing Josh Allen, Benny Snell, Bunchy Stallings, and Logan Stenberg become UK All Americans, it has become very difficult to value prospect rankings ahead of the evaluation skills of our coaching staff. But at the same time, it's a very weird year for football recruiting. Spring practice, usually a big recruiting opportunity, was cut short. Campus has been closed, visits are not possible, and coaches have not been traveling. These unexpected occurrences affect all programs, not just ours. People can debate which schools all of this hurts most, but our program has a lot of momentum. I still expect another strong class, and obviously you are also leaving open that possibility.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Current committed UK class-

Chauncey Magwood, WR, Leesburg, GA
Paul Rodriguez, OL, Mason, OH
Kahlil Saunders, DL, Huntsville, AL
Kaiya Sheron, QB, Somerset, KY
David Wohlabaugh, OL, Stow, OH

While there has been some speculation that Dekel Crowdus might push back his announcement, I expect him to commit to UK this spring or summer. Spring is a time when SEC schools attempt to lock up as many instate commitments on their primary target list as fast as possible. If you are Crowdus, at 165#, you accept UK's offer as soon as you can unless you are pretty sure you don't want it. You would want to talk with Jovon Bouknight before committing, of course. But you would take care of this business ASAP. Otherwise, UK will target other receivers. I am not suggesting that Crowdus isn't worth recruiting hard. Vince Marrow obviously wants him. But he isn't unique. He needs to take the scholarship as soon as he is satisfied with Coach Bouknight.

This is obviously an atypical recruiting season. Campus is closed and nobody is traveling. This means no visits and no in-person recruiting until the campus and the travel industry open up again. This hurts every school's recruiting efforts. At a time like this, it is worth remembering that UK is an SEC program with two consecutive bowl victories over strong opponents. Our program has momentum and a coaching staff that understands how to evaluate talent. It is too early to know how losses of Coaches Hood, Leblanc, and Smith and additions of their replacements will affect recruiting, but I believe it is neutral at worst and probably better than that. In particular, Anwar Stewart should become an immediate recruiting asset, and I am optimistic about
Bouknight too. Now that it is becoming more apparent that the 2020 college football season will be played after all, the strength of our team should provide an added boost to Coach Stoops' recruiting. Top recruiting targets often wait until the end of the season before they commit. I expect another strong UK class.

Yes, I caught that-see later post.
I don't think it is out of the question that UK could receive an early commitment from Reece Jesse. He has three SEC offers, although I doubt his UT offer is committable. As long as he believes a passing game is in UK's future (as Beau Allen and Kaiya Sheron obviously do), it would be easy to conclude UK is his best option.

Hilarious. It's April 2020 and you're saying Tennessee's good 2021 commitments are only picking Tennessee because they have no other options? Hilarious. Truth is Tennessee's staff just pulled the best player in Alabama (5 star) and 2 4 stars in 3 days.
And what have you done with all that talent?

Some uncommitted candidates for early UK commitments-

Dekel Crowdus, slotR, Lexington, KY
Jordan Dingle, TE, Bowling Green, KY
Jamarius Dinkins, DL, Columbus, OH
James Gillespie, DL, Woodbridge, VA
Kamonte Grimes, WR, Naples, FL
Shawn Hardy, WR, Kingsland, GA
Jaydon Hood, LB, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
John Howse, DB, Brentwood, TN
Reece Jesse, WR, Hopkinsville, KY
Jordan Lovett, DB, Ratcliff, KY
Tyrell Raby, DB, Baton Rouge, LA
Eric Randall, DB, Baker, LA
Damon Ross, DB, Ellaville, GA
Armond Scott, WR, Euclid, OH
Quincy Skinner, WR , Ft. Lauderdale, FL
RJ Sorensen, DL. Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Brody Wisecarver, OL, St. Louis, MO
Cameron Wright, WR, Batesville, MS
Lavell Wright, RB, Ratcliff, KY
Kyree Young, RB, Akron, OH

it's difficult for me to see this as you see it, as of this date in early May.

Yes. Although we had Justin Rogers by June of last year, about half our “Star power” came in the last few weeks prior to the December signing period.

And the staff might be taking a measured early approach, expecting a good season will lead to extra punch in December.

Yes. Although we had Justin Rogers by June of last year, about half our “Star power” came in the last few weeks prior to the December signing period.

And the staff might be taking a measured early approach, expecting a good season will lead to extra punch in December.
It would appear that most staffs are forced to take a measured approach early-on, in view of the fact that campuses are closed and there are no travel and no visits this spring.

The impact of this is evident across the SEC. I admit I am not a proponent of class rankings. But a look at current class rankings tells us a lot about the impact of COVID-19 on early recruiting. At this time, UNC's 2021 class is ranked ahead of Clemson. TN, MS St, Missouri, and SC are ranked ahead of Bama. All of us understand those trends won't last into the fall.

Just like you said, Stoops may be keeping his powder dry. In our 2020 class a year ago, the first commitment was John Young on April 28. This year, we already had 5 commitments by May 1. But no one expects the pace of commitments to accelerate in May-June as it normally does, given the fact that nobody is traveling or visiting this spring, and that June skills camps probably won't be held this year.

So, as you are predicting, I think the fall will be UK's most important football recruiting opportunity again this year. Most of the best players will probably take visits later than usual this year and take their time with their decisions.

Reactions: Canned Heat
I don't think it is out of the question that UK could receive an early commitment from Reece Jesse. He has three SEC offers, although I doubt his UT offer is committable. As long as he believes a passing game is in UK's future (as Beau Allen and Kaiya Sheron obviously do), it would be easy to conclude UK is his best option.

If a commitment to passing is in the future then we will be back to "same old UK" after nearly every game.

I've got more faith in Stoops than that.

If a commitment to passing is in the future then we will be back to "same old UK" after nearly every game.

Stoops will always be a defensive coach with a strong run game. But, a strong run game doesn't have to eliminate a balanced offense. I think Stoops wants balance and wants to put up more points. It's the next step for UK getting to the top echelon of the SEC.

2018 is more of what Stoops wants. Imagine a more accurate QB combined with that kind of running attack and defense!!! I expect a more accurate TW. The QB room looks good right now. I agree with you that Stoops will always (major injuries excluded) have a strong running game.

I have total faith in Coach Stoops and Coach Gran. Maybe I didn’t do a good enough job of expressing the idea.

Last year, our coaches were committed to a robust passing game prior to Terry Wilson’s injury. I have always had complete confidence in Eddie Gran’s talent for adapting his offense to available personnel. When Wilson was lost last year, Coach Gran rebuilt our offense around Lynn Bowden during the bye week. As we know, this was done out of necessity.

I did not suggest that I lack faith in our staff's commitment to a passing game. If you read it that way, that would be a misinterpretation. What I meant to express is that Beau Allen's and Kaiya Sheron's commitments to become UK QBs affirm their faith in the future of UK's passing game which is, in turn, attracting receivers like Magwood, Crowdus, and Scott.

Last edited:
I continue to believe slot receiver Dekel Crowdus will commit to UK this weekend or next week.

As suggested several times earlier on this thread, WR Armond Scott out of Euclid, OH, has now committed to UK. Scott is being recruited by Vince Marrow. Scott is physically similar in build to Izayah Cummings and Allen Dailey. Scott holds at least five Power 5 offers including MI St. So far, UK is his only SEC offer.

UK's current 2021 class-

Chauncey Magwood, WR, Leesburg, GA

Crowdus should commit to UK shortly, and my May 2 post above lists a number of other candidates for early commitments.

As previously discussed, campuses are closed, and coaches aren't traveling. In view of that, it is interesting that UK already holds six respectable 2021 commitments. A year ago, UK's first commitment (John Young) in the 2020 class didn't come until April 28. With June skills camps and summer combines likely to be cancelled this year, I continue to believe a larger number of heavily-recruited prospects will wait until the fall to commit. I believe Stoops will sign another strong class.

Last edited:
This class is going to be one of those wait and see recruiting classes. I hope it's like the 2015 class with a lot of hidden gems (i.e. Josh Allen and Calvin Taylor) but won't be a class loaded with 4 or 5 stars, which is disappointing in Year 8 with 4 straight bowl games and 2 straight bowl wins but a lot of it is to blame on camps being canceled.

Reactions: vhcat70
but won't be a class loaded with 4 or 5 stars, which is disappointing in Year 8 with 4 straight bowl games and 2 straight bowl wins.
This is only an assumption. I have never seen a UK football recruiting class "loaded with 4 or 5 stars". Our 2020 class may have been closest to that in modern times, but was primarily built on high-upside 3 stars like Beau Allen, Jutahn McClain, Kalil Branham, RJ Adams, Octavious Oxendine, and Vito Tisdale.

At times like these, it is worth recalling that UK All Americans Benny Snell, Bunchy Stallings, Logan Stenberg, and Josh Allen were lightly-recruited and modestly-rated coming out of hs. Our coaching staff knows what they are doing.

This is only an assumption. I have never seen a UK football recruiting class "loaded with 4 or 5 stars". Our 2020 class may have been closest to that in modern times, but was primarily built on high-upside 3 stars like Beau Allen, Jutahn McClain, Kalil Branham, RJ Adams, Octavious Oxendine, and Vito Tisdale.

At times like these, it is worth recalling that UK All Americans Benny Snell, Bunchy Stallings, Logan Stenberg, and Josh Allen were lightly-recruited and modestly-rated coming out of hs. Our coaching staff knows what they are doing.
Please, tell me where I said they didn't know what they were doing.

Who does LW remind you of?
I have only seen a little bit of his film, and the opposition wasn’t particularly outstanding. In terms of size, build, and raw skills, Chris Rodriguez might be a reasonable comp. I am not saying Wright will run like Rodriguez runs at the college level. As a general rule of thumb, we should give all these players at least a year or two on campus before we begin to form firm conclusions.

What I can say now is that AJ Rose will use up his eligibility after this year, and the returning backs in 2021 will presumably be Smoke, Rodriguez, Tisdale, McClain, and Drennen. Some will say Drennen wasn’t recruited as a RB, but he is a versatile player who is bound to see some snaps as a RB and some as a slotR. In any case, if we look at this group, none are really three-down RBs unless McClain develops along those lines. Wright has the size to be a decent downhill runner and pass blocker. At least on paper, he fills an important niche in this group if he has the feet for the job.

I like seeing us keep good instate talent.

You are in the majority here.

My own view is that Mark Stoops, Vince Marrow, and Steve Clinkscale rank-order their recruiting targets and sign the best hs players they can sign. They have to. Any other approach would mean signing a class not as talented as the classes they actually sign, and that would directly translate to the outcome on the field. But signing an instate player is often easier (and requires less traveling) than signing an out of state player. Instate players almost always know more about our football program than other players. At the beginning of the recruiting season, our coaches know exactly which instate players they want to sign. Often, these instate players commit earlier, because they already know our coaches and have already taken multiple unofficial visits to our campus in almost all cases.

But it is worth keeping in mind that Benny Snell, Boom Williams, Lynn Bowden, Stephen Johnson, CJ Conrad, Josh Allen, Bud Dupree, Calvin Taylor, Bunchy Stallings, Logan Stenberg, Mike Edwards, Darius West, and Austin MacGinnis were out of state players. Our 2020 football roster includes 12 recruited Kentuckians on scholarship. The states of FL and OH each contributed more players than KY to our roster, and GA contributed almost as many. Because KY is a small state, I believe it will continue to be this way, even if KY hs football is improving. But it is only natural to be excited when local heroes join our team. Beau Allen will probably have a big influence on the future of our football program.

LaVell Wright, a 6' 205# All State RB from Ratcliff, KY, committed to UK this morning. Wright attends the same hs that produced Octavious Oxendine and Andre Woodson. Many sources now expect Wright's hs teammate DB Jordan Lovett to commit to UK before the fall semester begins.

Wright's commitment was recently predicted on CB, and earlier than that by Rock Cat here on this thread. Wright and Lovett were listed on my May 2 list (above) of possible early UK commitments. Once it became clear that Wright's UK offer was committable, everyone saw this coming.

Wright potentially fills a void in UK's RB room, although he will probably receive a RS year. Most of UK's returning RBs in 2021 and 2022 will be smaller and quicker than Wright. Chris Rodriguez is physically similar to Wright, but Wright should turn out to be a better pass blocker and receiver (not currently Rodriguez's forte). I don't know if Wright can become a three-down RB at the college level, but he will have a chance.

UK's current 2021 class-

Chauncey Maywood, WR, Leesburg, GA
LaVell Wright, RB, Ratcliff, KY

Expect Dekel Crowdus to join our class shortly.

My own view is that Mark Stoops, Vince Marrow, and Steve Clinkscale rank-order their recruiting targets and sign the best hs players they can sign. They have to. Any other approach would mean signing a class not as talented as the classes they actually sign, and that would directly translate to the outcome on the field.

I'm all for signing best talent regardless of what state they come from. I don't like missing out on instate talent to other programs. (Especially when I see them see them later playing in the NFL!)

UK will never get 100% of in-state players they want. (Few schools do.)

I like the progress we've made in Louisville. Momentum is a great thing. This looks like a good get for us. Excited to see who joins the list in next couple weeks.

Thx for recruiting info.

It’s way early, but still interesting to speculate what the seven current commitments might suggest about the rest of our 2021 football class.

First of all, my count suggests Amani Gilmore’s transfer leaves 86 recruited scholarship players on our 2020 roster. If accurate, this is technically over the limit. But more departures are coming. I don’t want to name names, but I can count at least nine obvious current scholarship players who could easily transfer or give up football altogether without surprising any poster on this board. Over time, that number will probably increase. In any case, we will be down to 85 before August because that’s the roster rule.

Presently, 14 scholarship seniors are scheduled to be on our roster this fall.

At a bare minimum, then, Coach Stoops will have 14 scholarships for his 2021 class. But that assumes no undergrad players leave next fall. In reality, undergrads transfer or graduate early every year.

So I assume Coach Stoops’ next class will have at least 15-20 players. And let’s keep in mind that we have made spring and summer predictions of small, similarly-sized classes in prior years, only to see our classes expand in size once departure numbers accelerated the next fall.

So here are some preliminary expectations.

Terry Wilson and Sawyer Smith will graduate. With Gilmore, Wood, and Langhi transferring, and Scalzo’s health still uncertain, Stoops will sign two QBs in this class.

Dekel Crowdus will commit to UK shortly. Along with Magwood and Scott, that will give the class three receivers. I think Stoops will take a TE in the class, and Jordan Dingle is the target. But this could possibly mark the end of 2021 WR recruiting even though it is only May. Would Stoops take Reece Jesse, Cameron Wright, or Quincy Skinner even though he may have a limited number of scholarships? IDK.

AJ Rose will graduate. Smoke, Rodriguez, Tisdale, Drennen, and McClain still have multiple years of eligibility. But Stoops recently accepted a commitment from LaVell Wright and is still actively recruiting Kyree Young. Will he take two RBs in the class? Looks like it.

With Paul Rodriguez and David Wohlabaugh already committed, Stoops might only have room for one more offensive lineman. He wants Jager Burton, but he is still recruiting Brody Wisecarver and several others. How long is he willing to wait on Burton? Burton is thought by some sources to be a OH St leaner. Interesting to watch how this plays out.

This class will be heavily slanted toward the offense, since our defensive depth chart is deep with talented undergrads. But Stoops will need to replace Max Duffy after this season, and Coach Hood is gone now. How will this play out?

Last edited:
JMO, but I think this will be a full or nearly full class IMO. This past year, there were fewer Seniors than this coming season and the class was nearly a full one. I think it will be a pretty even split between offense and defense. My best guess right now:

QB - 2
RB - 2
WR - 4
TE - 1
OL - 4
DL - 4
LB - 4
DB - 4

That is a full 25. If they end up signing a Punter, I think one of the defensive positions loses a number. After Sunday, the offensive side of the ball should be well on it's way to be completed.

But Stoops will need to replace Max Duffy after this season, and Coach Hood is gone now. How will this play out?

Surely others on the staff have developed some Aussie connections the last 4 years. I’m sure Dean Hood will have an Aussie at his new digs, but there are bound to be several quality kickers per year there.

Don’t kill me on this 1 but how many Ky kids besides OL contributed big time to the team in the last many years.
Love our kids but I don’t get disappointed much by not signing them
Of Course Rondale Moore’s don’t come around every day - a player I loved

this is gonna be a badass class
Plus the last 2 classes we have signed and getting action on the field this year is gonna be exciting to see

Surely others on the staff have developed some Aussie connections the last 4 years. I’m sure Dean Hood will have an Aussie at his new digs, but there are bound to be several quality kickers per year there.
FWIW, I didn't mean to suggest that our next punter needs to be recruited from Australia, or that our current staff would not be capable of recruiting a punter.

Anyhow, Max Duffy, one of the top punters in the nation, has had a big impact on our team's ability to win the battle for field position. All of us agree Duffy has had a decisive impact on the outcome of some of our games. He will have to be replaced, and the implications are significant. If the right guy becomes available, I think this would be well worth investment of a scholarship. IMO, a great punter is easily the most valuable special teams player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT