ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2021 recruiting

Rembrandt90

Senior
Jun 25, 2018
UK’s 2019 regular season has now concluded with a 7-5 record, and bowl eligibility has been achieved for the fourth consecutive season. Mark Stoops currently has 16 verbal commitments for his 2020 recruiting class (plus two more “silent” commitments, according to Vince Marrow), and the December signing date will arrive soon. In addition, we already have a significant body of early information about UK’s 2021 recruiting classes, which will be summarized below in this post. Within several months, the time will arrive when 2021 verbal commitments will become likely by previous historical criteria. Due to the general support for, and popularity of, the sister thread on “State of 2020 recruiting”, we can now begin a discussion about 2021 recruiting.

UK currently has no verbal commitments for its 2021 football class. For comparative reference, the first verbal commitment to UK’s 2020 class came from John Young on April, 28, 2019. So, sometime between now and May, one or more 2021 verbal commitments are more or less inevitable.

An early assessment projects that UK’s 2020 roster will likely have between 82-85 scholarship players, depending on how many players are signed in UK’s 2020 class, what Lynn Bowden decides to do in 2020, and how much offseason roster attrition occurs. In any case, 16 players on our tentative 2020 roster are scheduled to be seniors, although that number could increase to 17 if Phil Hoskins is granted an extra year of eligibility as a 2019 medical redshirt. I am not suggesting Hoskins will or won’t get the medical redshirt, but there have been some recent rumors FWIW.

So, given the likelihood of additional roster attrition (as happens every offseason) following our 2020 football season, it is again likely that UK’s 2021 recruiting class will include 20-25 scholarships.

Here is a list of instate hs football players currently believed to hold 2021 UK scholarship offers-

Jager Burton, OL, Lexington
Jordan Dingle, TE, Bowling Green
Reece Jesse, WR, Hopkinsville
Jordan Lovett, DB, Radcliffe
Lavell Wright, RB, Ratcliff
Jantzen Dunn, ATH, Bowling Green
Tristan Cox, LB, Somerset
Kaiya Sheron, QB, Somerset
Logan Weedman, TE, Apollo
Parker Bates, OL, Owensboro

I cannot confirm that all of the above offers are committable at this point, and some probably aren’t. But it is generally known that UK’s coaches would love to get early commitments from Burton and Dingle.

In addition, Kentuckian Dekel Crowdus, a quick WR from Lexington who projects as a slot receiver, is attending IMG Academy in Bradenton, FL, and holds a UK offer.

Here is a very brief, partial list of some interesting out of state hs players believed to hold 2021 UK scholarship offers-

Rayshaun Benny, OL, Oak Park, MI
Bam Booker, LB, Cincinnati, OH
Dekel Crowdus WR, Bradenton, FL
William Griffin, OL, Nashville, TN
Jaylen Johnson, DB, Cincinnati, OH
Rhoody Jean Lewis, LB, Miami, FL
Santino Marucci, QB, Jupiter, FL
Wyatt Milum, OL, Huntington, WV
Javon Nelson, DL, Murfreesboro, TN
Damon Payne, DL, Belleview, MI
Zion Rucker, DL, Smyrna, TN
Boaz Saint-Vil, DL, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Devonta Smith, DB, Cincinnati, OH
Dalen Stovall, WR, Stow, OH
Davion Weatherspoon, OL, Detroit, MI
David Wohlabaugh, OL, Stow, OH

We will discuss other names as they come up later.

Last edited:
It is far too early to guess who the most celebrated commits to our 2021 class will ultimately be, although Damon Payne would be the Justin Rogers equivalent in this class if we can wrestle him away from OH St.

But it is not too early to guess some names that might realistically become early commits to our 2021 class during the upcoming spring. These are just some early guesses-

Reece Jones, WR, Hopkinsville, KY
Jordan Lovett, DB, Radcliffe, KY
Hammond Russell, LB, Dublin, OH
Lavell Wright, RB, Ratcliff, KY

FWIW Parker Bates also attends Apollo in Owensboro KY. Both Weedman and Bates claim UK offers and both have a excellent frame to mold and drive to go get it. However with that being said they both in my opinion (which is useless) should be considered projects at this point. Weedman at Apollo played DE the entirety of this last season and I can’t remember him getting in on offense to often. Parker Bates is your prototypical SEC OL...he’s big and can move for his size, he has football in his blood as his dad was a collegiate linemen at KWC I believe. It would be a awesome accomplishment for the new staff at Apollo to put two names on UK’s roster but again both these players must grow a lot between now and this time next year to truly be a hot commodity for UK and other big name schools.

FWIW Parker Bates also attends Apollo in Owensboro KY. Both Weedman and Bates claim UK offers and both have a excellent frame to mold and drive to go get it. However with that being said they both in my opinion (which is useless) should be considered projects at this point. Weedman at Apollo played DE the entirety of this last season and I can’t remember him getting in on offense to often. Parker Bates is your prototypical SEC OL...he’s big and can move for his size, he has football in his blood as his dad was a collegiate linemen at KWC I believe. It would be a awesome accomplishment for the new staff at Apollo to put two names on UK’s roster but again both these players must grow a lot between now and this time next year to truly be a hot commodity for UK and other big name schools.
Excellent, interesting analysis. Thanks.

As you said, Weedman and Bates reportedly hold UK scholarship offers. This is just a guess, but I think this represents the beginning of the dialog and an effort to get both players to travel to Lexington for June camps. I doubt either offer is committable currently, which seems to fit with your thinking.

I am fairly sure Jordan Dingle is UK’s top 2021 TE target. Stoops is primarily battling OH St for Dingle, and I have heard he is highly interested in UK at this point. If Stoops can sign Dingle, I think that would be the end of TE recruiting for this class.

By my count, UK has already extended scholarship offers to at least 30 offensive linemen in the 2021 class. There will be more offers. I figure Stoops will take 4-5 offensive linemen at the end of the day. The highest current OL priorities appear to be Wyatt Milum, Jager Burton, Rayshaun Benny, William Griffin, and David Wohlabaugh. In time, some of those prospects will gravitate toward other schools and UK’s coaches will develop their other recruiting dialogs.

Whether Bates ends up at UK is hard to say, but he certainly has the physical build for the job. Last year, UK took Eli Cox because he had an SEC body, a burning desire to play football at UK, and the grades to enroll in January. If Bates can enroll next January, that could help his case with UK.

Excellent, interesting analysis. Thanks.

As you said, Weedman and Bates reportedly hold UK scholarship offers. This is just a guess, but I think this represents the beginning of the dialog and an effort to get both players to travel to Lexington for June camps. I doubt either offer is committable currently, which seems to fit with your thinking.

I am fairly sure Jordan Dingle is UK’s top 2021 TE target. Stoops is primarily battling OH St for Dingle, and I have heard he is highly interested in UK at this point. If Stoops can sign Dingle, I think that would be the end of TE recruiting for this class.

By my count, UK has already extended scholarship offers to at least 30 offensive linemen in the 2021 class. There will be more offers. I figure Stoops will take 4-5 offensive linemen at the end of the day. The highest current OL priorities appear to be Wyatt Milum, Jager Burton, Rayshaun Benny, William Griffin, and David Wohlabaugh. In time, some of those prospects will gravitate toward other schools and UK’s coaches will develop their other recruiting dialogs.

Whether Bates ends up at UK is hard to say, but he certainly has the physical build for the job. Last year, UK took Eli Cox because he had an SEC body, a burning desire to play football at UK, and the grades to enroll in January. If Bates can enroll next January, that could help his case with UK.
Coach Phil Hawkins is in year three at Apollo, I believe he came from Louisville Doss (don’t hold me to this). Coach Dawkins has connections all over and will get Apollo talent noticed by many different schools. Apollo played its last home game at its brand new stadium a few weeks ago and I truly believe Hawkins will take Apollo from the mediocre program it has been throughout history to the top school in Owensboro if given the time. Kids notice when coaches can maximize looks and with two names on UK’s radar I fully expect Apollo to be mentioned with UK more moving forward. Owensboro is one of the more highly populated cities in Western Kentucky so I fully expect sooner rather than later a name to appear that is a clear take, this could even be Weedman or Bates. However one can take that Stoops and staff are doing a awesome job covering Western Kentucky talent with names like Weedman and Bates and before them the Langhi’s and Wolfe’s. I will also recommend checking out Owensboro QB Gavin Wimsatt if given the opportunity. He has a high roof in multiple sports and could be a potential target on down the road as he’s just a sophomore.

Coach Phil Hawkins is in year three at Apollo, I believe he came from Louisville Doss (don’t hold me to this). Coach Dawkins has connections all over and will get Apollo talent noticed by many different schools. Apollo played its last home game at its brand new stadium a few weeks ago and I truly believe Hawkins will take Apollo from the mediocre program it has been throughout history to the top school in Owensboro if given the time. Kids notice when coaches can maximize looks and with two names on UK’s radar I fully expect Apollo to be mentioned with UK more moving forward. Owensboro is one of the more highly populated cities in Western Kentucky so I fully expect sooner rather than later a name to appear that is a clear take, this could even be Weedman or Bates. However one can take that Stoops and staff are doing a awesome job covering Western Kentucky talent with names like Weedman and Bates and before them the Langhi’s and Wolfe’s. I will also recommend checking out Owensboro QB Gavin Wimsatt if given the opportunity. He has a high roof in multiple sports and could be a potential target on down the road as he’s just a sophomore.

Wimsatt just visited UK, so he is definitely on the radar already.

2021 recruiting really starting to get cranked up. I expect this class to emphasize OL and LBs. We will need another QB, TE, couple more WRs, and a punter. 2020 should be a successful season on the field, so Stoops' recruiting traction should continue to grow.

Rembrandt and Rock_Cats, I truly appreciate your efforts keeping the rest of us informed about recruiting. Curious how you know so much about recruiting?
Won't speak for Rock Cat, but he has said in the past that he reads a lot of material and makes his own conclusions about what seems credible.

The same is basically true for me. There is also a former UK player working in our office. He isn't involved in recruiting, but he likes to talk about it as long as he doesn't get directly quoted. I just sort through what I hear and try to discern what sounds like it could happen.

The truth is that none of us knows what young athletes will decide.

Rock_Cat?

What Rembrandt posted is mostly true for myself as well. I follow things very closely from multiple sources and avenues. I am by no means an insider, but feel that I generally have a good handle on what the pulse of UKFB recruiting looks like. Obviously, things can change on a dime in recruiting, so everyone has to keep that in mind if you are going to follow it closely.

What Rembrandt posted is mostly true for myself as well. I follow things very closely from multiple sources and avenues. I am by no means an insider, but feel that I generally have a good handle on what the pulse of UKFB recruiting looks like. Obviously, things can change on a dime in recruiting, so everyone has to keep that in mind if you are going to follow it closely.

Cool man, thanks. I guess if your really paying attention you can connect some dots

Question for @Rock_Cat78 or @Rembrandt90 do you know if the staff is still pursuing Dekel Crowdus? Despite going to IMG. Just hoping we get another playmaker opposite Drennen assuming he commits. Also hoping Reece Jesse can develop into a star if not.

Question for @Rock_Cat78 or @Rembrandt90 do you know if the staff is still pursuing Dekel Crowdus? Despite going to IMG. Just hoping we get another playmaker opposite Drennen assuming he commits. Also hoping Reece Jesse can develop into a star if not.

Yes, they are still recruiting him, but I think it's ultimately going to be hard to sign him.

Yes, they are still recruiting him, but I think it's ultimately going to be hard to sign him.

Saw that Dekel Crowdus is coming back to FD and part of the reason was he missed his family. I know it will be tough to get him because he seems to be focused on other schools, but I have to think this helps our chances. Him & Drennen together would be nice

Saw that Dekel Crowdus is coming back to FD and part of the reason was he missed his family. I know it will be tough to get him because he seems to be focused on other schools, but I have to think this helps our chances. Him & Drennen together would be nice

Without question, him coming back to Lexington definitely helps. I've just never gotten the vibe that he is all that high on Kentucky.

Reactions: ryanbruner
Without question, him coming back to Lexington definitely helps. I've just never gotten the vibe that he is all that high on Kentucky.

Right. Having said that I think it's only a matter of time before Stoops lands one of the "elite" for lack of a better word skilled guys in-state. Having missed on D.Harris, Wandale, and I guess to a lesser extent Rondale Moore it's only a matter of time before Stoops lands one. At the same time I really like our WR class coming in

No offers to Louisville players? Is Louisville high school football that weak next year?
Appears that we only have 2 four stars this coming year. That could change, but it looks like a weaker year in high school football. The highest rated player is Charlie Ely from Trinity who's listed as a inside LB and 5.5 3*

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
OFFER ANALYSIS: 2021 WR Andrew Wilson-Lamp

Andrew Wilson-Lamp
is already ranked as one of the top receivers in the state of Ohio from the Class of 2021.

So he fits the profile of someone that Kentucky assistant Vince Marrow would be interested in.

The Wildcats have targeted plenty of Ohio receiver prospects in recent years. They're on track to land Kalil Branham later this month, and potentially RB/ATH/WR Mike Drennen, too.

Wilson-Lamp has other offers from Akron, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Kent State, Pittsburgh, Toledo, and West Virginia. During the summer he visited WVU and since the start of the 2019 college football season he has been to Ohio State twice and Penn State once.

West Virginia offered Wilson-Lamp after he camped in Morgantown over the summer.

Wilson-Lamp's Massillon squad lost to La Salle in the Ohio Division II state championship a week ago
https://kentucky.rivals.com/news/offer-analysis-2021-wr-andrew-wilson-lamp

No offers to Louisville players? Is Louisville high school football that weak next year?
Two offers to Ratcliff players Lovett and Wright. Ratcliff is in the general vicinity.

As far as I can tell, there have been no UK offers to 2021 JeffCo players yet. 2021 isn’t a comparatively strong JeffCo class.

This week, UK’s coaching staff extended new scholarship offers to the following 2021 football prospects-

Marcus Bradley, DL
Dink Jackson, ATH
Kaemen Marley, ATH
Charles Montgomery, ATH
Kobe Paysour, WR
Tyrell Raby, DB

Reactions: Ky grandpa
The in-state guy that I am super high on right now is Bowling Green (South Warren) S/WR Jantzen Dunn. He and Jager Burton appear to be the two biggest sure fire prospects to me.

Vince Marrow said during yesterday’s press conference that the 2021 instate class is strong, and that UK will target six or seven 2021 instate players. He also referred to Oxendine’s North Hardin hs in Ratcliff as having multiple SEC caliber players in 2021.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
The in-state guy that I am super high on right now is Bowling Green (South Warren) S/WR Jantzen Dunn. He and Jager Burton appear to be the two biggest sure fire prospects to me.

Dunn looks like a star. I am also high on Dekel, even though he is a bit raw in terms of a WR. We really need playmakers and pairing him with Drennen would be legit if we want to push for the SEC ship

Vince Marrow said during yesterday’s press conference that the 2021 instate class is strong, and that UK will target six or seven 2021 instate players. He also referred to Oxendine’s North Hardin hs in Ratcliff as having multiple SEC caliber players in 2021.

I'm curious to see how hard we pursue Wright if he is a running back. Because I would imagine we are only taking one RB in this class and I know we have some offers to some really big backs. Like Edwards from Michigan

I'm curious to see how hard we pursue Wright if he is a running back. Because I would imagine we are only taking one RB in this class and I know we have some offers to some really big backs. Like Edwards from Michigan
Whether Davis signs this year could impact that.

Dunn looks like a star. I am also high on Dekel, even though he is a bit raw in terms of a WR. We really need playmakers and pairing him with Drennen would be legit if we want to push for the SEC ship

Crowdus is raw and going to IMG this year really hurt him as really didn't get any PT there from what I understand. I've never really felt that he had much genuine interest in Kentucky, but we will see. Crowdus is definitely fast, but I hope he isn't John Logan-esque. I think he is probably one of the 6-7 guys Marrow mentioned yesterday though. Crowdus, Burton, Dunn, Wright, Lovett, Dingle, Sheron and Jesse are the main dudes in-state.

Reactions: ryanbruner
UK’s 2019 regular season has now concluded with a 7-5 record, and bowl eligibility has been achieved for the fourth consecutive season. Mark Stoops currently has 16 verbal commitments for his 2020 recruiting class (plus two more “silent” commitments, according to Vince Marrow), and the December signing date will arrive soon. In addition, we already have a significant body of early information about UK’s 2021 recruiting classes, which will be summarized below in this post. Within several months, the time will arrive when 2021 verbal commitments will become likely by previous historical criteria. Due to the general support for, and popularity of, the sister thread on “State of 2020 recruiting”, we can now begin a discussion about 2021 recruiting.

UK currently has no verbal commitments for its 2021 football class. For comparative reference, the first verbal commitment to UK’s 2020 class came from John Young on April, 28, 2019. So, sometime between now and May, one or more 2021 verbal commitments are more or less inevitable.

An early assessment projects that UK’s 2020 roster will likely have between 82-85 scholarship players, depending on how many players are signed in UK’s 2020 class, what Lynn Bowden decides to do in 2020, and how much offseason roster attrition occurs. In any case, 16 players on our tentative 2020 roster are scheduled to be seniors, although that number could increase to 17 if Phil Hoskins is granted an extra year of eligibility as a 2019 medical redshirt. I am not suggesting Hoskins will or won’t get the medical redshirt, but there have been some recent rumors FWIW.

So, given the likelihood of additional roster attrition (as happens every offseason) following our 2020 football season, it is again likely that UK’s 2021 recruiting class will include 20-25 scholarships.

Here is a list of instate hs football players currently believed to hold 2021 UK scholarship offers-

Jager Burton, OL, Lexington
Jordan Dingle, TE, Bowling Green
Reece Jesse, WR, Hopkinsville
Jordan Lovett, DB, Radcliffe
Lavell Wright, RB, Ratcliff
Jantzen Dunn, ATH, Bowling Green
Tristan Cox, LB, Somerset
Kaiya Sheron, QB, Somerset
Logan Weedman, TE, Apollo
Parker Bates, OL, Owensboro

I cannot confirm that all of the above offers are committable at this point, and some probably aren’t. But it is generally known that UK’s coaches would love to get early commitments from Burton and Dingle.

In addition, Kentuckian Dekel Crowdus, a quick WR from Lexington who projects as a slot receiver, is attending IMG Academy in Bradenton, FL, and holds a UK offer.

Here is a very brief, partial list of some interesting out of state hs players believed to hold 2021 UK scholarship offers-

Rayshaun Benny, OL, Oak Park, MI
Bam Booker, LB, Cincinnati, OH
Dekel Crowdus WR, Bradenton, FL
William Griffin, OL, Nashville, TN
Jaylen Johnson, DB, Cincinnati, OH
Rhoody Jean Lewis, LB, Miami, FL
Santino Marucci, QB, Jupiter, FL
Wyatt Milum, OL, Huntington, WV
Javon Nelson, DL, Murfreesboro, TN
Damon Payne, DL, Belleview, MI
Boaz Saint-Vil, DL, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Devonta Smith, DB, Cincinnati, OH

We will discuss other names as they come up later.
Noticed that none of those 2020 offers were for any Louisville kids. Surely there has to be somebody here.

Crowdus is raw and going to IMG this year really hurt him as really didn't get any PT there from what I understand. I've never really felt that he had much genuine interest in Kentucky, but we will see. Crowdus is definitely fast, but I hope he isn't John Logan-esque. I think he is probably one of the 6-7 guys Marrow mentioned yesterday though. Crowdus, Burton, Dunn, Wright, Lovett, Dingle, Sheron and Jesse are the main dudes in-state.

I agree. Dekel seems to be really focused on playing elsewhere. But when he left IMG he said he missed his family and teammates. So maybe he that will help and I really think an x-factor in getting him is if we get Jager or not that would be huge.

I do like our chances for Dingle right now. Him and Tisdale are close

The Crowdus young man just moved back from Fla to play at FD so l imagine he becomes a t5 priority. Anybody...ls the HC at FD anti UK? Read somewhere he is.

No. Coach Landis was on Stoops support staff before he got the job at Douglass.

Appears that we only have 2 four stars this coming year. That could change, but it looks like a weaker year in high school football. The highest rated player is Charlie Ely from Trinity who's listed as a inside LB and 5.5 3*
The Northington kid at Manual is going to be a stud in the 2022 class. 6'2 210 and plays both ways. LB & RB. Someone told me he is part of the UK Northington family, but l don't know that for sure.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT