ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2020 recruiting

Assuming he does, I now think UK adds signatures from Drennen, Oxendine, Baron, Adams and J. Williams, which would bring the class to 21 members. We will assume Tisdale signs in February to make 22. The biggest question after that would be Josaih Hayes. If they can sign him next week, I think they are likely done for 2020 and would only be waiting on Tisdale.
Sure hope you're on the money here, that would make for one helluva class for UK!

Assuming he does, I now think UK adds signatures from Drennen, Oxendine, Baron, Adams and J. Williams, which would bring the class to 21 members. We will assume Tisdale signs in February to make 22. The biggest question after that would be Josaih Hayes. If they can sign him next week, I think they are likely done for 2020 and would only be waiting on Tisdale.
Good grief, that is amazing. If the staff can pull this off that would give us 10 recruits rated by Rivals as 4* or better.... with a chance at an 11th.

The only other class in recent history to come close to that was 2014. And those 4* included a Juco and a player that never made it to his first game. Otherwise most classes include 3-5 4* type players at best. This level of recruiting is difficult to wrap my head around.

Not feeling as optimistic on Baron now. Not over, but it's not a good sign that he is visiting UT this weekend.

Right going to be tough. Assuming we get Drennen, to me a strong finish would be if we can get one of Adams or Flax and one of either Baron or Hayes

Kind of starting to get the feeling Kentucky strikes out on all four. We'll see soon enough.

Man that would be a bummer. Especially after not closing strong last year with losing D.Lee, J.Ward. J.Robinson, and of course WR. But if it does happen this is still a great class and a step up in recruiting. Just have to keep building

What has changed your feelings? Wasn't you feeling good about Drennen.

Still do. Just not feeling as good on Baron and Adams. Have never felt great about UK's chances with Hayes and certainly not Flax.

Last edited:
Still do. Just not feeling as good on Baron and Adams. Have never felt grat about UK's chances with Hayes and certainly not Flax.

Noticed that Zach Berry (Ole Miss Rivals Writer) & Chad Simmons put in a pick for Hayes to Ole Miss today. Berry also switched his pick for Baron back to UT as well. Was really hoping we could land one of the two, but it's looking unlikely

Adams is a must get because of position IMHO.

People seem to feel pretty good about Ox, Vito and Drennen. But I think Adams would be huge

Reactions: Girthang
Thanks rock cat ,I saw this thread and knew it would be good (pow) cat fight , so I went to the start great post by op to start it off and Hack gives him complements , third post down and more down the line ,skip to this page and they're fighting . I bet they met in prison ,lover's quarrel.
To make this crystal clear again, I have tried repeatedly to keep this thread focused on 2020 UK football recruiting. With your comment, you are not helping. If you don’t mind, please help us keep the thread’s focus on recruiting.

Not feeling as optimistic on Baron now. Not over, but it's not a good sign that he is visiting UT this weekend.
I've never felt good about Baron.......who has truly believed he would commit to us when his Dad is in the UT staff???? We never truly had much of a chance IMHO. Wish we did but that's just how it goes, would rather have him than Ox

Okay, back to business here. I have felt for a long, long time that Kentucky would sign 23 members to its 2020 recruiting class. The transfer addition of Joey Gatewood will count towards this class, hence I think that makes the number of initial counters 24 for 2020.

Kentucky currently has 16 verbal commitments and I expect all 16 to sign ten days from now. Therefore, I expect up to seven new members added to this class. By 12/18, I expect UK to add DT Octavious Oxendine, DE Tyler Baron, DB Joel Williams and OG RJ Adams. Those four would bring the number to 20.

Whether it ends up being next week, or early February, I fully expect UK to add S Vito Tisdale and ATH Michael Drennen, bringing the number to 22.

That leaves one more name and the main two worth following at this time, are the two that took official visits this weekend. Of course, those two are UT commit, WR Jimmy Calloway and DT Josaih Hayes from Mississippi. Both are four star prospects ranked in the Rivals 250 and at this time, it is too early to make any prediction on either since their official visits are still ongoing. Calloway visits UT officially next weekend and then will sign the following Wednesday. I think Kentucky faces an uphill battle to flip his commitment with what is currently known. If Hayes signs in December, I definitely like UK's chances. If he does not, I feel Kentucky's chances go way down.

The only other prospect that is on the radar for an OV is Alabama ATH Dee Beckwith in mid January. Kentucky currently has ground to make up there as Florida has promised him a ride for football and basketball. If Kentucky were to somehow land Drennen and Calloway before Beckwith's OV, I imagine that would end the recruitment of Beckwith.

All in all, still a lot to be hashed out, but I feel we will all know much on 12/18, which could be a historic signing day for Kentucky football.
I believe Stoops will take 24 plus Gatewood. So we are close.

At this point, I think Beckwith will probably sign with UF. He still hasn’t scheduled an official visit to UK, and hasn’t been to Lexington since the camps in June.

I haven’t seen any news out of Josaih Hayes since he visited UK last week. Actually, I don’t think that means much. He could commit to UK anytime. But the recent hire of Lane Kiffin by Ole Miss will probably convince Hayes to wait and talk with Kiffin’s new staff. My uneducated guess is that Hayes may eventually re-commit to Ole Miss, especially if UK gets Octavious Oxendine.

I don’t have the feel for what Tyler Baron will do that Rock Cat has. Rock Cat has been all over this. We know Baron’s dad works at UT and Baron has also been talking with Vince Marrow. Such a heavily-recruited defensive lineman always receives an enormous amount of recruiting pressure from all directions this time of year. So, for me, this is a wait-and-see.

I think Stoops will hang onto all 16 current commits. So this is how the class looks to me-

Beau Allen, QB
Samuel Anaele, DL
Kalil Branham, WR
Deondre Buford, OL
Izayah Cummings, WR
Torrance Davis, RB
Rickey Hyatt, DB
D’Eryk Jackson, LB
Joshua Jones, OL
Jutahn McClain, RB
Andru Phillips, DB
Justin Rogers, DL
Tre’vonn Rybka, DL
Earnest Sanders, WR
Carrington Valentine, DB
John Young, OL

Also probably signing with UK in December-

RJ Adams, OL
Octavious Oxendine, DL
Joel Williams, DB

Other possibilities for UK’s class-

Tyler Baron, DL- Has already been discussed at length. UK or UT.
Damarcus Beckwith, LB- I am predicting FL, but could be UT.
Jimmy Calloway, WR- UK, UT, or Va Tech.
Devyn Curtis, LB- Probably Vandy.
Michael Drennen, RB- If he waits until Feb., it’s wide open. Can go anywhere he wants. Who knows?
Jeremy Flax, OL- Auburn or UK.
Josaih Hayes, DL- Probably Ole Miss.
Vito Tisdale, DB- All signs still pointing to UK.
Ronald Williams, DB- TX A&M or Bama.

The math tells me Stoops will save a couple of scholarships for Feb. By then, a new name could pop up.

One other thought. Art Green, the UT decommit, once held a UK offer. But I have seen no evidence that UK is currently involved, and I don’t think UK has room for Green anyway because of Tisdale and Joel Williams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ky grandpa
I've never felt good about Baron.......who has truly believed he would commit to us when his Dad is in the UT staff???? We never truly had much of a chance IMHO. Wish we did but that's just how it goes, would rather have him than Ox

I for one did as many others have and still do. Kentucky had been right there with UT for a long time and it still isn't over as Wednesday is not here just yet.

Still do. Just not feeling as good on Baron and Adams. Have never felt great about UK's chances with Hayes and certainly not Flax.
There is a group of uncommitted prospects for whom UK is still battling hard-

RJ Adams, OL
Tyler Baron, DL
Michael Drennen, RB
Jeremy Flax, OL
Josaih Hayes, DL
Octavious Oxendine, DL
Joel Williams, DB
Vito Tisdale, DB

Hypothetically, if UK signed all eight, then the class would be finished. But all of us agree, UK will sign some of these players but not all of them. This means there will be open scholarships for other players. It looks to me like Stoops will have 2-3 open scholarships that he could choose to fill in Feb. That makes it likely that new names will pop up over the winter.

Last edited:
Based on what I thought I knew from here 7-10 days ago, this is considerably more unsettled than I thought it would be now. Only "for sure" thing since then +/- is Gatewood.

Based on what I thought I knew from here 7-10 days ago, this is considerably more unsettled than I thought it would be now. Only "for sure" thing since then +/- is Gatewood.
True, and this is typical for this time of year. The regular football season is over now, so some coaching staffs are focused on upcoming bowl games but all coaching staffs are zeroed-in on recruiting. The closer the signing date gets, the more brutal the recruiting competition becomes. Although a lot of prospects have already decided, many still have not. College football coaches are all over these kids in December.

But at the end of the day, I still believe UK will pick up at least three more players in December. Three at a minimum. Maybe more than three.

And taking some open scholarships into the February signing period is not a bad thing. That’s how UK signed MJ Devonshire.

It is being reported publicly by multiple sources that PA St already holds 27 hard commitments, OH St already holds 25 hard commitments, Bama and LSU both already hold 24 firm commitments, and FL already holds 22. This situation is bound to create a domino effect where some top uncommitted prospects end up elsewhere. GA will be one beneficiary. UK could become another. UK is recruiting against all of the above programs for commitments from undecided prospects.

The late push by NC St for Adams is probably the reason why the visit to Lexington by Flax finally came together. This set of circumstances suggests to me that Flax is Stoops' plan B if he can't sign Adams.

It is worth taking another look at the OL-

UK 2020 OL-

seniors
Drake Jackson
Luke Fortner
Landon Young

juniors-
Austin Dotson
Darian Kinnard
Naasir Watkins

sophomores-
Quintin Wilson
Kenneth Horsey
Nick Lewis

redshirt freshmen-
Eli Cox
Jake Pope

true freshmen-
Deondre Buford
Joshua Jones
John Young

I've been wondering for a while if Flax was meant as a backup to Adams - someone who fit the mold of RT or OG. Recruiting profiles tend to exaggerate measurements, so if someone told me Flax was actually 6'4'' I wouldn't be shocked (even if not UK has signed tall OL before that once they get on campus are moved from OT to OG). On top of that, JUCO ranks are usually a good place to shop for 2nd or 3rd options. Stoops has done that before.

If there were more spots open I could see them doing both, but this class is already starting to burst at the seams, and they already have three OL commits.

If there were more spots open I could see them doing both, but this class is already starting to burst at the seams, and they already have three OL commits.
I see it differently. There are currently 16 commitments to UK's 2020 class. There are 7-8 more scholarships to be given, so the class is far from full at this point. And three OL commits are not enough. If they were enough, Stoops would not be recruiting RJ Adams and Jeremy Flax. Consider that Stenberg and Wolfe graduate this year, and Fortner, Jackson and Young will graduate next year. Stoops only signed two offensive linemen in his 2019 class, and EJ Price left.

The upcoming week will answer some questions, as RJ Adams, Tyler Baron, and Joel Williams are all scheduled to announce their college decisions in the next several days. Williams appears to be headed to UK. Adams might pick NC St. Baron might pick UT.

Last edited:
And three OL commits is not enough.

Agreed. Last year was two. The year before that five. The year before that three. This senior class had four.

This is why I think four OL this year as that position group has to be balanced with the other position groups who have to balance their own needs w/ finite 85 man roster.

If they do miss out on the other positions, but have an opening for two OL and can get both, then I don't think in that scenario they turn down Flax and Adams either.

Agreed. Last year was two. The year before that five. The year before that three. This senior class had four.

This is why I think four OL this year as that position group has to be balanced with the other position groups who have to balance their own needs w/ finite 85 man roster.

If they do miss out on the other positions, but have an opening for two OL and can get both, then I don't think in that scenario they turn down Flax and Adams either.
Probably right, as far as I can see.

We have 16 current commitments. Lacking a reason to think otherwise, I believe all 16 are firm. We also have Gatewood as a transfer. So we believe there are 7-8 other scholarships to fill in the class. These are the players we believe, based on recent reporting, are still considering UK-

RJ Adams, OL (announcing this week)
Tyler Baron, DL (announcing this week)
Jimmy Calloway, WR (UT verbal)
Michael Drennen, RB
Jeremy Flax, OL
Josaih Hayes, DL
Octavious Oxendine, DL
Vito Tisdale, DB
Joel Williams, DB (announcing this week)

Theoretically, if UK signed all nine, that would be a full class. But we know UK will not sign all nine.

I expect UK to add Oxendine and Williams in December. Right now, I am not confident about Baron or Adams. If Stoops can't get Adams, it will be interesting to see if he can sign Flax.

I cannot foresee a scenario in which Stoops won't have at least a couple of scholarships left to fill in February. So there may be a new name or two on the board after our bowl game, just like last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT