ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2020 recruiting

Still baffled at Vito's 5.6 3 Star Rating...

In may/June, he was a 6.0, 4 Star and ranked Top 100 among all players.

Sounds to me like he didn't play the camp game as heavily as Rivals wanted to see.

I trust our coaches on this one. Frankly, if he had a strong feeling about his school of choice early, he might have not camped much because of it.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Maybe I should have said based on what I have read about Gatewood doesn’t get me excited. Didn’t mean to upset anyone. I know he is big but not a prolific passer and I have not seen great numbers from him so that is why I said that. I am too old to go digging for recruiting info on players. I hope he is highly successful here.

Reactions: vikingfer
Didn’t mean to upset anyone.

Actually, you made me chuckle just a little!

Hey, all youngsters are a gamble!

The odds get better when you see offer lists like Gatewood had. And frankly, most of our ‘20 Class will have similar offer sheets.

We’ve been shoved around for decades by programs recruiting like we are now . . . we were pushed around like we dominated Louisville, last Saturday.

We’ve been shoved around for decades by programs recruiting like we are now . . . we were pushed around like we dominated Louisville, last Saturday.
I often hear this narrative from UK fans. Actually, counting 2019, UK has been to bowl games nine out of the last fourteen years. Bear Bryant won a national championship here. We have produced our share of All Americans and NFL players. Tim Couch was the first overall player selected in the 1999 NFL draft. Art Still, Dewayne Robertson, Dennis Johnson, Bud Dupree, and Josh Allen were coveted first round NFL draft choices.

Over the last four decades, UK’s worst periods of performance on the football field have correlated with NCAA sanctions after Curci and Mumme got caught cheating, and with CM Newton’s tunnel vision hiring of his friend Bill Curry. The SEC is a tough and challenging conference, especially for a school in a small state on the northern edge of the conference territory. But we are a founding SEC member, and we have held our own (or better) during eras when our program has been run cleanly and competently.

Last edited:
Rowland’s list, presented here by RockCat, is close to, or equal to, the best case scenario.

RockCat has been all over Tyler Baron, Jimmy Calloway, and Eric Taylor here. Greatly appreciated.

Vince Marrow recently said he is sitting on two silent verbals. I think Joel Williams is one of those, and the other is either Octavious Oxendine or RJ Adams.

Here is how I currently see it, and I am sure I will be wrong about some of these.

Joel Williams- UK bound, sign in Dec.
Octavious Oxendine- UK-bound, sign in Dec.
RJ Adams- UK-bound, sign in Dec.
Vito Tisdale- leaning toward UK, candidate for Feb. signing
Josaih Hayes- UK, Ole MS, or Auburn, Dec. or Feb. decision depending on how hard Kiffin pursues him
Jimmy Calloway- UK or UT, Dec. decision
Damien Alford- UK, UF, FSU, or VA, Dec. or Feb.
Michael Drennen- AZ St, OH St, FL, or UK, Feb. decision
Tyler Baron- UT or OH St, Dec. decision

Last edited:
Hoping UK can get a verbal after this weekend and signature this month from Josaih Hayes. Otherwise, I have a feeling that Kiffin will convince him to recommit to Ole Miss.

Hoping UK can get a verbal after this weekend and signature this month from Josaih Hayes. Otherwise, I have a feeling that Kiffin will convince him to recommit to Ole Miss.

Yeah, Ole Miss moved quickly, and I may not agree that it is a good hire, Kiffin and his name will keep their recruiting class largely intact. JMHO.

Reactions: UKat1
Also, it seems UK and UT are neck and neck for Tyler Baron. Ultimately, I still lean UT, but I will not be surprised if UK pulls the stunner. I'd only be truly surprised if OSU were the choice.

We agree Oxendine is UK-bound. You are more confident than I am about Baron, but let’s say you are right and Baron commits to UK in 11 days. In that case, do you think UK has room in the class for Hayes? It’s getting tight.

We agree Oxendine is UK-bound. You are more confident than I am about Baron, but let’s say you are right and Baron commits to UK in 11 days. In that case, do you think UK has room in the class for Hayes? It’s getting tight.

Yes, I still think the staff really wants all three. They've been all over those guys. I think they are very confident on Ox, Hayes will be determined by this weekend and the Kiffin factor and Baron, I just think is way closer than most realize.

Yes, I still think the staff really wants all three. They've been all over those guys. I think they are very confident on Ox, Hayes will be determined by this weekend and the Kiffin factor and Baron, I just think is way closer than most realize.
So, then-

J. Hayes
O. Oxendine
T. Baron
R. Adams
J. Williams
V. Tisdale
Plus 2 best available in Feb.

Are we getting warmer?

So, then-

J. Hayes
O. Oxendine
T. Baron
R. Adams
J. Williams
V. Tisdale
Plus 2 best available in Feb.

Are we getting warmer?

Think that is right on. I still expect Drennen to sign with UK in February. I honestly think the names above is very reasonable, hinging mostly on Baron among those.

Think that is right on. I still expect Drennen to sign with UK in February. I honestly think the names above is very reasonable, hinging mostly on Baron among those.
In 2019, every UK true freshman is redshirting. If the 2020 class unfolds like we are hypothesizing here, I have to think 4-5 will get into more than 4 games as true freshman next year.

Adams
Branham
Rogers
Maybe Joel Williams
Baron and Drennen, if they actually sign with UK

Been preaching for a couple of months not to sleep on this...
Yes, you have.

Physically, Baron looks like a true DE for Stoops' multiple 3-4 system. Unless Stoops thinks he could play the Jack LB. Is that a factor in his recruitment?

With Sean Martin and Eric Taylor apparently out of the picture now, it looks like a 3, 4, or 5 man UK DL class, depending on what happens with Baron and Hayes, and assuming Stoops hangs onto Rogers, Anaele, and Rybka.

There are still several open scholarships.

Reactions: jwsiegel
Please list the 6 seasons “until Stoops’” arrival that we were .500 or better in the SEC?

Our mediocrity in the prior 50 years is proof of his success!
That sounds like a pop quiz. If you want to conduct a discussion about mediocrity, please start another thread for that purpose. This thread is committed to a discussion about our 2020 recruiting class. Not trying to start anything. I enjoy your posts. Just don't want to see this recruiting thread diverted to a discussion of people's misgivings about the past when everything is looking better now. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Just an fyi, Andrew Bone, Rivals analyst for the Alabama site just flipped his UT pick to UK on Baron...
All the circumstantial evidence this weekend points to a probability that Tyler Baron or someone close to him must be spilling the beans about a tentative UK commitment. Too much smoke. Too many unconnected sources now seem to be hinting at it. Would be a huge recruiting development for UK.

So this question occurs to me now. Might it be possible that Baron is one of Vince Marrow's two "silent verbals"?

But the most remarkable thing about this might he that we could still have a legitimate debate about what is the biggest and most interesting 2020 UK recruiting story. Baron? Rogers? Maybe even Drennen, before we are done.

Thanks in advance.

The very purpose of my posts is to point out how much better we are, today with Stoops.

I did not know you were a moderator of this forum.

Your responses to my thoughts, here, will earn you the opposite of what you seek: I assure you I will be a frequent participant in any thread you start discussing anything I desire.

I would appreciate it if you did not respond to me.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
The very purpose of my posts is to point out how much better we are, today with Stoops.

I did not know you were a moderator of this forum.

Your responses to my thoughts, here, will earn you the opposite of what you seek: I assure you I will be a frequent participant in any thread you start discussing anything I desire.

I would appreciate it if you did not respond to me.

Thanks in advance.
This is hostile and unnecessary. Obviously, I never suggested I am a moderator. I only asked you, nicely, not to hijack this thread to rekindle a redundant complaint about water under the bridge in the program's distant past. I am asking again. Let's discuss 2020 recruiting.

Have you revised your expectation recently regarding how many scholarships Stoops will award in this class? Gatewood is taking a scholarship, but Kelvin was listed on our fall roster. Given the usual expectation for spring and summer attrition and recent departures of Garner, Wilkins, and Knight Goff, I am expecting 24-25 signees in the final class.

If that turns out to be accurate, if all 16 current commitments sign, and if Stoops also signs Baron, Oxendine, Adams, Tisdale, and Joel Williams, Stoops would still have 3-4 other scholarships to give. Maybe Drennen takes one. Maybe Hayes. That still leaves more room.

Yes.

And so was cropping my quote, above, to make it sound like I was questioning Stoops.

Rembrandt, by picking a fight with me, you insured a multitude of posts in this very thread that deviate from.
your opinion as to what should be discussed.

Ye shall reap what ye sow!
I clearly was not picking a fight with you. You are manufacturing one, but I can't see why. All I did was ask you nicely to help us keep this thread focused on 2020 recruiting. I have enjoyed your posts and given you a ton of likes. If you really want to start something with me now, that's your choice. I will again ask nicely that we keep this thread focused on 2020 recruiting.

Current 2020 UK commits-

Beau Allen, QB
Samuel Anaele, DL
Kalil Branham, WR
Deondre Buford, OL
Izayah Cummings, WR
Torrance Davis, RB
Rickey Hyatt, DB
D'Eryk Jackson, LB
Joshua Jones, OL
Jutahn McClain, RB
Andru Phillips, DB
Justin Rogers, DL
Tre'Vonn Rybka, DL
Earnest Sanders, WR
Carrington Valentine, DB
John Young, OT

Reported current leaners toward UK-

RJ Adams, OL
Tyler Baron, DL
Octabious Oxendine, DL
Vito Tisdale, DB
Joel Williams, DB

This guy just cannot help himself! Truly an example of being his worst enemy. Inflexible defensiveness complicated by projection along with insistence on other people's behavior is indicative of insecurity issues. I hope he gets help because he can be a very good and informative poster. For some reason he just cannot handle people with a different POV insisting they are wrong and he is right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT