ADVERTISEMENT

Starting 5 should be

I agree. It’s just a shame because Shai plays so well off the bench subbing multiple spots.
He's a great sub for sure but he's our offensive creation. Green has shown flashes of excellent court vision. Diallo SKJ Wenyen PJ in theory should bring a lot of energy off the bench

I can only say who shouldn't be starting, and for the time being, it's Diallo. Too many me-plays, bad shots and mistakes.

Curious how PJ and JV can handle true centers. Not that he's perfect, I still like Gabriel to bring energy and composure, especially to start the first 5 minutes of the half..

I can only say who shouldn't be starting, and for the time being, it's Diallo. Too many me-plays, bad shots and mistakes.

Curious how PJ and JV can handle true centers. Not that he's perfect, I still like Gabriel to bring energy and composure, especially to start the first 5 minutes of the half..
Composure and Gabriel shouldn't be used in the same sentence. I'll say JV is slowly looking to turn a corner and just gives us much more rebounding opportunities than WG

Reactions: ubtrapper
I think Gabriel's composure is fine, although he does make mistakes. He keeps his cool, and he keeps playing. He's our only non-freshman outside of SKJ (who might as well be a freshman). Gabriel I believe got the start today? The team didn't have that funk. He seems to take games more seriously, just like an older player would.

I think Gabriel's composure is fine, although he does make mistakes. He keeps his cool, and he keeps playing. He's our only non-freshman outside of SKJ (who might as well be a freshman). Gabriel I believe got the start today? The team didn't have that funk. He seems to take games more seriously, just like an older player would.
He tries hard and gives energy. One of our better 3 shooters as well, but I'd rather give Vandy the start and let WG sub. A) Bc teams won't guard vandy like WG and probably lax on his 3. B) because a Vet could control the 2nd group a little more than green. Green plays hero ball when he's the sub at times

Composure and Gabriel shouldn't be used in the same sentence. I'll say JV is slowly looking to turn a corner and just gives us much more rebounding opportunities than WG

Agree...the best way to describe Gabriel's composure is his mind is racing 70mph and his feet and hands are going 110 mph. Did you see him at the end of the game after he missed the two free throws? Up 10 points with 13 seconds left in the game, Gabriel is swiping at the Bama player trying to steal the ball until Calipari yells "Don't Foul" and then decides to back away. He has such a low basketball IQ that you can only play him in limited minutes throughout the game as he does bring energy.

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
He tries hard and gives energy. One of our better 3 shooters as well, but I'd rather give Vandy the start and let WG sub. A) Bc teams won't guard vandy like WG and probably lax on his 3. B) because a Vet could control the 2nd group a little more than green. Green plays hero ball when he's the sub at times

Can't say I disagree. Maybe Gabriel needs to be off the bench to bolster the 2nd squad. I think just NOT having Diallo start is the big difference maker.

Green and Knox have to start, IMO. Shai and PJ are the next must-starts.. Maybe we get JV more minutes to get him as ready as possible?

Reactions: UK90
I think Diallo played a decent game today. He didn' hurt us today. Had some shots go in and out again. He'll have a monster game soon.

Part of the reason Wenyen makes so many dumb plays offensively is that Calipari doesn't play to his strengths. Cal has him out at the top of the key setting picks and trying to make plays 30 feet from the basket by putting the ball on the floor. He needs to be on the baseline looking for alley-oop dunks and offensive rebounds. He brings in good energy and would be tough to keep off of the offensive glass with his length.

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
ADVERTISEMENT