ADVERTISEMENT

Potential Change to Starting 5

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
I was told last night and I’ve seen it posted on another forum but there is a potential change coming to the starting 5 tonight, they didn’t fully elaborate on who it would be. I think we all know who it should be though.

I hope this is true but you never truly know when it comes to Cal….

If it happens likely somebody for Edwards(surely it can't be Thiero after a month layoff) Dillingham for Wagner would make sense. Can't imagine it would be Sheppard. and I think Reeves, Mitchell and Bradshaw are safe.

Reactions: UKortho and KT34
It won’t be Shep, he’s too “nice” and had a rough game, and it won’t be Adou, because Cal never starts a player coming back from injury, so it should be Dillingham… But I have some serious doubts!

Reactions: UKortho
Might be interesting to see how Edwards would do coming off the bench beside Sheppard instead of starting beside DJ. Might be able to get Edwards going more as a sub, playing beside the more unselfish player.

Then you have DJ driving and kicking to our two most aggressive offensive players: Rob and Reeves.

I would be fine with Dillingham starting as well but the question begs (if true) is cal doing this because it’s best for the team or that dilly is the highest rated player on the draft boards.

I would be fine with Dillingham starting as well but the question begs (if true) is cal doing this because it’s best for the team or that dilly is the highest rated player on the draft boards.
I think it should be Reed over Edwards, having Reeves and Reed out there together would create a lot more space. Plus there are the two of the best shooters in the country

Ivisic for Bradshaw?

Don’t see Cal giving in to the fans and media and putting Edwards on the bench. He always doubles down when anyone second guesses his tactics, so we will probably continue to see Edwards start and play lots of minutes
This is what I was thinking, have Big Z start

We have a coach who is more obsessed with nba draft night than we do winning titles at UK and you have the nerve to ask that? If you don’t think cal wouldn’t insert him into the starting lineup for that very reason you don’t know our coach very well.
qqABRAp.png

Z for Edwards.
Lol at the thought of Reeves and Shep being the main back court. Are we trying to get better on defense or just giving up all hope of stopping teams ?

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
The change is that Calipari is moving Mitchell to the 5, Edwards to the 4, and Bradshaw to the 3.

My source is "source."
That's a good one, Saul ! ! ! And such a move would actually not be surprising at all, if directed by the incomparable and utterly incompetent CCC !

Honestly the starting backcourt should be Reed, Rob and Reeves.
3 players for the back court ? What exactly has Wagner done to be benched ? If you say defense, he is better than Reeves, Shep, and Dillinham. That's not saying alot, none are good defenders. The winner of best defender out of those is more like the tallest midget winner. But to bench a guy to bring in someone not as capable ?

3 players for the back court ? What exactly has Wagner done to be benched ? If you say defense, he is better than Reeves, Shep, and Dillinham. That's not saying alot, none are good defenders. The winner of best defender out of those is more like the tallest midget winner. But to bench a guy to bring in someone not as capable ?

We don't play any defense so I want the best shooters playing the most minutes.

Bradshaw and Edwards needs to come off the bench. Start UGO and Big Z in their place and tell Wagner to pass the ball. You know Cal wants to have two bigs in at the same time.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I disagree that Wagner is better defensive player than Shep.

Bradshaw and Edwards needs to come off the bench. Start UGO and Big Z in their place and tell Wagner to pass the ball. You know Cal wants to have two bigs in at the same time.

So you want Wagner, reeves, mitchell at the 3, z and ugonna? Lol

I think there should be multiple starting lineup changes but if it's only one I can't figure out which of Bradshaw, Reeves, Mitchell, or Wagner will sit...

The lineup should be Dilly, Shep, Reeves, Mitchell, Z just because it's our best 5 players and it does have a center, power forward, and 3 guards with one at 6'5" for the 3 spot. That lineup has a shot blocker, 5 shooters, several nice passers, and a couple guys that can drive. We won't know how good this team could be until this lineup gets some clock.

We have a coach who is more obsessed with nba draft night than we do winning titles at UK and you have the nerve to ask that? If you don’t think cal wouldn’t insert him into the starting lineup for that very reason you don’t know our coach very well.
Indeed. If Cal were to bench a 5 star player, top recruits would go elsewhere. Can you imagine Cal trying to coach 3 and 4 stars?

Theiro has to start over Edwards! Difference maker and bring in Rob or Reed in
Wagner
Sheppard or Dillingham
Reeves
Theiro
Mitchell

I think there should be multiple starting lineup changes but if it's only one I can't figure out which of Bradshaw, Reeves, Mitchell, or Wagner will sit...

The lineup should be Dilly, Shep, Reeves, Mitchell, Z just because it's our best 5 players and it does have a center, power forward, and 3 guards with one at 6'5" for the 3 spot. That lineup has a shot blocker, 5 shooters, several nice passers, and a couple guys that can drive. We won't know how good this team could be until this lineup gets some clock.
Reeves sit ? Lol, even mentioning he or Mitchell is an insult to the people who actually know the game of basketball. Who fo you replace the veteran leaders with ? Bench your leading scorer, you most consistent front court player, and think it would help make them better ?

Reeves sit ? Lol, even mentioning he or Mitchell is an insult to the people who actually know the game of basketball. Who fo you replace the veteran leaders with ? Bench your leading scorer, you most consistent front court player, and think it would help make them better ?

He's being a smartass stating that if there is a lineup change will be someone other than edwards.

Perhaps you would have understood my post better if you read the 2nd paragraph in addition to the 1st?
I've read your posts; you don't really disagree with me on this...

Last edited:
Z being included in the best 5 is a bit premature until he shows consistency. That said, I agree with this lineup due to his potential.
I agree I think Bradshaw is better defensively but not by a lot. The problem with Big Z is they put him in a pick and roll and he’s very slow when switching. I think the best 5 are…..

Rob
Reed
Reeves
Mitchell
Bradsahw

But Cal wont start all of them instead he will mostly likely start

Wagner
Reed
Reeves
Mitchell
Bradshaw

I agree I think Bradshaw is better defensively but not by a lot. The problem with Big Z is they put him in a pick and roll and he’s very slow when switching. I think the best 5 are…..

Rob
Reed
Reeves
Mitchell
Bradsahw

But Cal wont start all of them instead he will mostly likely start

Wagner
Reed
Reeves
Mitchell
Bradshaw
I hope one or the other is right but I'm afraid we'll still see Edwards in the lineup and who the hell know which one Cal might sit because it may not be a decision backed by logic.

Yeah, because that would be a great lineup…if you want to be down 20-2

• Haha
Reactions: westerncat
Someone saying Z should start is laughable. He has played 2 games . Was amazing in one and HORRIBLE in other.
The entire team save Dilly was horrible in the one game and Z showed more the other game than the other bigs have in all their games. He's better than Bradshaw and Ugo in several areas; don't think either of the three has earned a starting spot yet but Z is the most talented of the three.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT