ADVERTISEMENT

I think these 4 guards will go down in UK history as the greatest single season group of guards at Kentucky ever

HerrosHeroes

All-American
Aug 16, 2018
This is my starting five:

Shep
Dilly
Reeves
Mitchell
Bradshaw

Off the Bench:

Wagner
Edwards
Thiero
Ugo

• Haha
Reactions: NociHTTP
Why continue to try to mess with the best thing this team has going right now, i.e. Reed as the spark off the bench?

We lost to UNCW when he started. Just saying. Don’t mess with what’s working.

Completely agree. It has to be completely deflating to opposition if you have a good 3-5 minutes of even/close run and all of a sudden those two guys come in.

Completely agree. It has to be completely deflating to opposition if you have a good 3-5 minutes of even/close run and all of a sudden those two guys come in.
I don’t remember where I heard it but after the UNC game they were saying “when UNC went to the bench they brought in …. and ….., when UK went to the bench they brought in Sheppard and Dillingham, no comparison!”

Andrew, Aaron, Ulis and Devin were a pretty special 4. And a FF.
But the reason this team was so good, was yes the guards were good, but having 3 7footers made the biggest difference. This team was hard to score on. Only gave up 54 points a game

But the reason this team was so good, was yes the guards were good, but having 3 7footers made the biggest difference. This team was hard to score on. Only gave up 54 points a game
Yes. It was a complete team.

All 4 of those guards made the NBA though.

Unfortunately, in the last three minutes of the Wisconsin game, Cal left Booker and Ullis buried on the bench and the twins couldn’t hit a shot or even get one off that’s why we had two shot violations
All we needed was Ulis to get the ball to KAT.

Why continue to try to mess with the best thing this team has going right now, i.e. Reed as the spark off the bench?

We lost to UNCW when he started. Just saying. Don’t mess with what’s working.
Having coached myself, I can tell you that there is real value in having weapons on the bench to start the game. They impose a sense of dread on the other team. The spark they bring is so valuable.

Bringing Reed and dilly off the bench also forces the other team to leave their guys on the floor for extended periods of time to guard them.

In hindsight, yes. But I never blamed Cal for trusting the twins. They had shown they could be trusted. Aaron pretty much won 3 games on our FF run the previous year. I had faith they were going to carry us that win too. After the game I wished Cal had put in Ulis and Booker.
Never blamed him for trusting the twins, but still blame him for sitting on 3 timeouts and not using one to right the ship after the first shot clock and damn sure after the second.

How about 1980? UK had Kyle Macy, Dwight Anderson, Jay Shidler and Dirk Minniefield. All were highly sought after out of high school. Even though they all did not reach their full potential, that was a talented bunch.

How about 1980? UK had Kyle Macy, Dwight Anderson, Jay Shidler and Dirk Minniefield. All were highly sought after out of high school. Even though they all did not reach their full potential, that was a talented bunch.
OP just makes these kinds of posts to stir everyone up. Gets tiring. Thought he was a decent poster when he first started on this board but I now see his true colors.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Shidler is a notch below the other groups' 4th man. Top 3 are about as good as you get

This group is better in my opinion. The Harrison’s were decent but not that great. Ulis and Booker were studs
The twins weren’t stars, but they were much better than what we’ve seen from Edwards and Wagner so far.

We would’ve have been crazy in 2015 if Cal were comfortable with playing KAT like he does Mitchell on offense.

I disagree. This is exactly the style and mindset that led to that team’s demise IMO. In order to post the ball every possession, the game has to slow down to what is essentially then a halfcourt game. Just because ND couldn’t stop it doesn’t mean Wisconsin couldn’t.

That team was so much better playing more up tempo and having a freelance offense. We only took five 3s in that game and two were in the last 60/90 seconds. Pigeon holing that team into playing a slow, plodding halfcourt game killed our offense. Furthermore, we couldn’t get a shot off late because Wisconsin knew exactly where UK was trying to throw the ball to.

Reactions: fatguy87
The twins weren’t stars, but they were much better than what we’ve seen from Edwards and Wagner so far.

We would’ve have been crazy in 2015 if Cal were comfortable with playing KAT like he does Mitchell on offense.
THIS! He was in love with making KAT into a post player, so he would be drafted number 1, over Jokafor. No matter if it killed our season or not. I’ll never be convinced otherwise.

Andrew, Aaron, Ulis and Devin were a pretty special 4. And a FF.
And just like this team, the wrong two guards were coming off the bench. We start 3 guards and Sheppard can’t be one of them. Not that it matters as much, cause he is getting plenty of minutes. My bigger concern is that the best shooter on the team is sixth on the team in shots taken and the fact that our starting guards aren’t looking for him.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Problem has been that when those two come in we are usually behind. Not even or leading very many times this year.

It's gonna be up there for sure.

There two ways to measure this:

1. What these guards do for Kentucky. If they flame out early in the tournament, it's going to be hard to say they are better than the Twins/Booker/Ulis. But if they win the title? With that talent? Who is a better group of guards? Certainly Cals top group of guards. We'd have to go back 25+ years.

2. How good they are, regardless of Kentucky. This is where I think they might already be the #1 collection of UK guards. DJ, Dilly, and Shep look to already be NBA worthy players (still a little worried that Shep might run into NBAs athleticism and struggle, but he also might totally prove everyone wrong). Reeves as the 4th guy should get a few years bouncing around NBA teams. It's hard to imagine 4 guards more naturally talented than these. And I think 2 of them will be perennial NBA talents in DJ and Dilly. The Twins and Ulis, were not. It was just booker.

KAT acted halfway scared to shoot the ball that game. Also, I think you sub in Ulis for Andrew but keep Aaron in. Booker was getting abused on defense all night. Dekker took him to school that night. Something AP would have mitigated. If AP was healthy Dekker may only score 4 points all night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT