ADVERTISEMENT

My suggestion regarding Thiero

megablue

All-SEC
Oct 2, 2012
Start Thiero and let Edwards come off the bench to share minutes. This may well be a difference-making move to elevate both of them, but more importantly, the team. It may work out as well as the great decision Pitino made in 1996 mid-season, starting Derek Anderson and bringing Ron Mercer off the bench as a Freshman. We went on to win the title and I think that move was a big part of improvement on the road to the March run.

Last edited:
I agree with Thiero starting at the three spot. He can also be used with Mitchell as the four man for a quicker lineup. Hopefully that will motivate Edwards, cause nothing else Cal has done is working.

Start Thiero and let Edwards come off the bench to share minutes. This may well be a difference-making move to elevate both of them, but more importantly, the team. It may well work out as well as the decision Pitino made in 1996 mid-season, starting Derek Anderson and bringing Ron Mercer off the bench as a Freshman. We went on to win the title and I think that move was a big part of improvement on the road to the March run.
I think this is pretty much the consensus at this point. Only alternative I could see would be going with a three guard lineup to start so you have either Sheppard or Dillingham in to start as well. I can't imagine there's anyone left that wants to see Edwards continue to start. I held on to this position for the longest time but finally gave that up a few games ago. Will our coach see the light on that?

I think this is pretty much the consensus at this point. Only alternative I could see would be going with a three guard lineup to start so you have either Sheppard or Dillingham in to start as well. I can't imagine there's anyone left that wants to see Edwards continue to start. I held on to this position for the longest time but finally gave that up a few games ago. Will our coach see the light on that?
The 3-guard line-up merits consideration and would probably be good offensively, but defensive match-ups would be key. I’m not sure we could regularly play a trio of guards.

I wouldn’t complain if he started over Edwards obviously but I honestly don’t think it changes much. More about overall minutes. Think he’d be a more effective 4 but tough to play him over Mitchell.

Have to at least try running Adou at 4 with Mitchell, O or Bradshaw at 5.

I'm told by Cal defenders that Edwards has to start or else he'll become a cancer in the locker room.

• Haha
Reactions: shodaman
I wouldn’t complain if he started over Edwards obviously but I honestly don’t think it changes much. More about overall minutes. Think he’d be a more effective 4 but tough to play him over Mitchell.

Have to at least try running Adou at 4 with Mitchell, O or Bradshaw at 5.
I agree that pre-injury Thiero was more effective at the 4. But at the same time, he was also a better 3 than Edwards. Still, I don't believe either should be playing the 3 this season except for necessary backup minutes.

Also, what Thiero brings now is still to be seen. Is he 100% (physically and mentally)? If not, how long will it take him to get back to where he was?

I'd definitely be for Thiero starting in place of Edwards. And I'd be fine with Edwards coming in with Shep and Dilly at the first sub.
I haven't seen anything to make me think Edwards should be coming in with Sheppard and Dillingham at that approx. 4 minutes in mark of each half. I would 100x rather see Reeves or even Wagner stay in. If I brought anybody else in with those 2 Guards it would be Big Z or Onyenso for Bradshaw.

I'm told by Cal defenders that Edwards has to start or else he'll become a cancer in the locker room.
I don’t think Edwards “has to start or will be a cancer”. But I also don’t think starting is that important. Minutes matter more! And Edwards has averaged 17-18 the past 9-10 games. Although maybe it’s time to cut further to 10-12 if not less.
But I could see that starting Edwards isn’t to prevent him from being a cancer, but rather maybe to boost his confidence and get him “going”. But I think it’s been long enough now, and with Theiro back and Z, Edwards should take the biggest cut in minutes.

Reactions: gojvc
No way he starts ... kid hasn't played in a month. Wasn't starting healthy & now he will have to play himself back in game shape.
No way Cal bows to the Edwards pressure. If anything he will play him more.
My thoughts all along are we don't win #9 if we can't get Edwards and Wagner to play to their potential.
Also somebody needs to "remind" Bradshaw he is a 7 FOOTER ! We have the best 3 point shooter in the SEC. Rebound the ball and kick it out to him. Or .. or ... crazy thought ... play like a 7 FOOTER where they will have to double team you ... which ... amazingly will leave a better shooter open.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT