ADVERTISEMENT

Somto commits to UK

Great name "Cyril". People my age remember Cyril Richard who played Captain Hook in the early TV version of Captain Hook.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Glad to have him on board in any class. But Kentucky still needs one big for this years team. Maybe go after that south caorlina hig that entered for depth of hope Dante enters or do something

While there was significant talk of Cyril potentially reclassifying and joining UK a year ahead of schedule for the 2023-24 season, the plan, as of now, is for Cyril to remain in the class of 2024.

From the Herald …Cam Drummond …in the online print the words as of now is highlighted …suggesting things can change

Great get for the ‘24 class.

Now let’s hope it’s Dante for next season.

Mitchell, Dante, Bradshaw, and Onyenso would be a killer frontcourt. Plenty of length. Should block shots and own the boards.

Dante would be perfect. A pure 5 man that will allow Mitchell and Bradshaw to stay on the perimeter a little more.

I just hope Onyenso isn’t scared off and sticks around and continues to develop.

We needed a ‘24 class signing but we will not be physical at all at the 4-5 spots this coming season.

Will be a huge issue.
Wouldn't say that yet. Somto Cyril was the focus and they got him on board, he may be trying to reclass still, but main thing was to get his commitment public and that's done. Now that's said.....there are guyS (plural) still in works and interested in coming to Kentucky to play the 5 spot--no matter what role WITH Ugo and Bradshaw--yes he'll play some 5 despite what some people want to hold as gospel. He's very well liked within the program and from what those around have interacted with.

Team is coming together but not quite done. Big get though!

Now what ? We wait until the end of July to see what happens. WHY would he take classes to reclassify and everyone said he has pretty much done enough but just a few loose ends to qualify for the reclass, then not do it ? I will tell you. It is so he can officially commit to satisfy UK and come aboard, then when he finishes his coursework, he will THEN announce the move up to 23. Watch and see. Save this post and I will admit im.wrong if it doesn't happen.
Good point ; I agree.

Maybe he can't announce a reclass until he actually completes the required coursework? Just a thought.

He has already walked the line in graduation at his high school so he is not going back to take classes for another year. He will be a re-class...
I will admit to being completely ignorant on the rules here. If he's technically already graduated, why can't he reclass now?

1. Somto is a good prospect to get.
2. But can't go into 2023 season with just Bad-Foot-Bradshaw, Burks, Ugo and Tre Mitchell......that ain't going to work for next year. You can't hardly argue this is a good enough group to play well along a very young backcourt.
Justin Edwards would be fine at PF too. Plus, from statements he purportedly made he doesn't mind playing PF, Center or anything else the team needs. That was one of the things I liked about him. He wants to win.

He has already walked the line in graduation at his high school so he is not going back to take classes for another year. He will be a re-class...
Think you are on right track...but they just want to tread lightly here. Many announcements go like this when a reclass guy is still working on it. But will say this, they really wanted him to go public with a commitment that has been private since his OV. He's been on board.

If he has to wait and say join at midseason, while they go get someone else--that's fine seeing they'd have 3 bigs and Somto can practice/prepare for following year in a scenario that more than acceptable seeing the team would have 3 bigs.

There are multiple Grad Big Men reaching out to UK too just in case Somto's transcripts weren't going to get him eligible to play right away.

Trust UK admissions and staff on this one 100% on how they handle it.

Justin Edwards would be fine at PF too. Plus, from statements he purportedly made he doesn't mind playing PF, Center or anything else the team needs. That was one of the things I liked about him. He wants to win.
I hear ya....and hope Edwards isn't like Livingston with personal demands. But that being said, I have zero belief Cal is going to play small ball and Edwards will play PF next year.

Reactions: Fox2monk and G-PIP
Think you are on right track...but they just want to tread lightly here. Many announcements go like this when a reclass guy is still working on it. But will say this, they really wanted him to go public with a commitment that has been private since his OV. He's been on board.

If he has to wait and say join at midseason, while they go get someone else--that's fine seeing they'd have 3 bigs and Somto can practice/prepare for following year in a scenario that more than acceptable seeing the team would have 3 bigs.

There are multiple Grad Big Men reaching out to UK too just in case Somto's transcripts weren't going to get him eligible to play right away.

Any names on those possibilities,Ralph?

I will admit to being completely ignorant on the rules here. If he's technically already graduated, why can't he reclass now?
OTE let him walk but UK got his transcripts and works with eligibility committee (not sure if they still call it clearinghouse) and with him being in need of some work, might not be something he can get done in time for Fall-but maybe he joins mid year to practice against team if he chooses. Or just come in with '24 class.

Main goal since his OV was to get this public and now it is. John Welch is excited as he loves what he Somto can be when he gets to work with that frame/athleticism.

I trust our compliance office more than just about anything. The NCAA is always looking for a way to stick it to us.

"Woah. Did UK just give a ball to Cal for a win record? Ready the guillotine!"

I hear ya....and hope Edwards isn't like Livingston with personal demands. But that being said, I have zero belief Cal is going to play small ball and Edwards will play PF next year.
Edwards is what UK fans have been dying to have-he's willing to play the Center spot if he can help the team. WINNER. Period. Leader. Mature. Justin is 20 and that is old for a FR, but also nice to have. He's already on record saying "I want to win and will do what it takes to win".

This!!! 💯

1. Somto is a good prospect to get.
2. But can't go into 2023 season with just Bad-Foot-Bradshaw, Burks, Ugo and Tre Mitchell......that ain't going to work for next year. You can't hardly argue this is a good enough group to play well along a very young backcourt.
"bad-foot-bradshaw" man give it a rest. By all accounts a really good kid.

He's a Wildcat, he represents UK. Through no fault of his own, kid has an injured foot and has surgery. That nonsense nickname is not only not funny, it's just petty nonsense.

Don't you know that on this message board, you aren't allowed to trust the staff????

On a side note. I totally agree with you.

"bad-foot-bradshaw" man give it a rest. By all accounts a really good kid.

He's a Wildcat, he represents UK. Through no fault of his own, kid has an injured foot and has surgery. That nonsense nickname is not only not funny, it's just petty nonsense.

Agreed.

I've hurt my foot before and my elbow bad last year and it sure wasn't my fault.

Now what ? We wait until the end of July to see what happens. WHY would he take classes to reclassify and everyone said he has pretty much done enough but just a few loose ends to qualify for the reclass, then not do it ? I will tell you. It is so he can officially commit to satisfy UK and come aboard, then when he finishes his coursework, he will THEN announce the move up to 23. Watch and see. Save this post and I will admit im.wrong if it doesn't happen.
Does Cal have anymore buddies that can get a DUI and get fired so he can land a legit 5 and everyone has to "apologize to him", because he had that planned the whole time?

Asking for a friend.

That takes care of next season. But what about..?

john-cena.gif

Also according to Ben Roberts the classes he’s taking don’t finish for a few more weeks

Is there any mention of credit recovery? If so it's a lock he's going to reclassify. If he's taking classes now, it sure seems like he's positioning to reclassify. Otherwise why take summer classes at all? Assuming no grade issues of course, which seems to be a thing of the past for athletes nowadays

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT