ADVERTISEMENT

Somto commits to UK

Okay, so if Cal doesn't get another big and Somto doesn't make it in time for this season, how do you guys think this plays out?

I honestly don't think Ugo is ready and if Bradshaw plays, he isn’t a post guy. Do you think Cal changes his offense to a 5 out style? I'd be on board with that, but if he tries to run his old school post offense with who we have, we're in for a frustrating year again.

Who knows, maybe he'll let Welch design the offense. Doubt it, but one can dream.

Please do. Please find posts from me where I am now proven wrong. I'll wait.

How did Cal prove anyone wrong? He brought in a couple 3* kids, begged Reeves to come back and apparently hired a cop to get Huggins drunk.

WTF are you smoking? He didn’t just land AD and MKG, he landed a couple guys with flaws and he still doesn't have a center that is worth a damn.

If anyone was proven wrong, it's you.
Ccc landed some bodies, not knocking those kids because they are the type that always cause uk problem. Reeves had no choice but to return,and Mitchell looks OK. Still no center, yet ccc us magically a hero again

Ccc landed some bodies, not knocking those kids because they are the type that always cause uk problem. Reeves had no choice but to return,and Mitchell looks OK. Still no center, yet ccc us magically a hero again
Exactly.
I'm excited to get Reeves back, Cal HAD to get him back, because he screwed up, but these guys don't see that.

Mitchell has potential, but he has some serious turnover issues too. I do think Cal will remedy that.

But you hit the nail on the head, Cal found some bodies to fill the roster, that’s it. We knew he would get bodies, he had to, but these Cal fans need to pump the brakes a little. They obviously haven't learned a damn thing.

As others have pointed out, I fail to understand why Somto declares now unless he intends to reclassify. If you didn’t, why not just wait?

I hope that is the case as we could def use him.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I've lost faith in him.He guaranteed Johnson was coming and implied we were getting the Miss State guy who stayed.I think he's guessing.
I do as well, and when he right he just repeats what Branham and slater say just with a spin on it. I think they add somebody, they need one more big

Okay, so if Cal doesn't get another big and Somto doesn't make it in time for this season, how do you guys think this plays out?

I honestly don't think Ugo is ready and if Bradshaw plays, he isn’t a post guy. Do you think Cal changes his offense to a 5 out style? I'd be on board with that, but if he tries to run his old school post offense with who we have, we're in for a frustrating year again.

Who knows, maybe he'll let Welch design the offense. Doubt it, but one can dream.
If Cal does not let Welch run the offense, then Cal will revert to "dribble drive" post offense.

I'd suspect there is another card to play this year before the roster is set -- if not Dante, some one else. Isaac Humphries signed on August 20, and provided some depth behind Bam on a team that was a shot off a full court scramble and 20 bad referee calls from a National Championship. No one had heard of Humphries in June, 2016.
That’s a good point

I'm glad we got him wrapped up. Baby Shaq. We need him this year or another big and we are set.

Noway can we go into this year as young as we are with 1 center who's unproven and thin.

We need 1 hoss and it could be really fun this year. Please dont let this talent be wasted with another year of we were 1 piece away.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
Trolls are going thru some things the past couple weeks.
trolling-trolling-disabled.gif

I mean why would he choose to commit, today.. if he wasn't going to reclass? This seems to be one of those sports news breaks, where the player/team says one thing, but there's just too much evidence to the contrary. Especially when you think of Cal's future tenure here being shaky... why would Somto commit to play here 16 months early?
On paper, lifetime contracts seem to be the complete opposite of shaky.

Either class he ends up in, it's a good commitment. Also leaves open the chance to get Dante this year if he did elect to transfer.

To all the people saying we need more, how many is going to be enough? Ugo, Bradshaw, Mitchell, with Edwards, Burks and Thiero able to backfill them is a pretty solid arsenal of frontcourt players. Obviously, if Bradshaw is a no go, it changes things a bit. It sounds like that isn't an expectation though.
A lot of bitching in light of getting a commitment from a 4* big man regardless of which class.

Reactions: pedroborbon

I think he should go back and watch the way he ran things with TJ and AD in 2012 and try a similar approach with Mitchell and Bradshaw.

And I know that Mitchell and Bradshaw are nowhere near as good as TJ and AD. That’s not the point. The point is, they didn’t run everything through the post when AD was the 5.

I would start Mitchell and Bradshaw together. Bring Onyenso and Thiero off the bench. When Onyenso is in, slide Bradshaw over to the 4 to give him more minutes. Something like this:

PF Mitchell(25)/Thiero(10)/Bradshaw(5)
C Bradshaw(20)/Onyenso(20)

Or if Onyenso is as great as some on here think, give him more minutes at the 5, play Bradshaw more at the 4 and give Thiero less minutes at the 4.

I just don’t know if Onyenso can handle playing more than half a game.

We shall see. But I see that as the rotation.

Reactions: dlh331 and Fox2monk
I think he should go back and watch the way he ran things with TJ and AD in 2012 and try a similar approach with Mitchell and Bradshaw.

And I know that Mitchell and Bradshaw are nowhere near as good as TJ and AD. That’s not the point. The point is, they didn’t run everything through the post when AD was the 5.

I would start Mitchell and Bradshaw together. Bring Onyenso and Thiero off the bench. When Onyenso is in, slide Bradshaw over to the 4 to give him more minutes. Something like this:

PF Mitchell(25)/Thiero(10)/Bradshaw(5)
C Bradshaw(20)/Onyenso(20)

Or if Onyenso is as great as some on here think, give him more minutes at the 5, play Bradshaw more at the 4 and give Thiero less minutes at the 4.

I just don’t know if Onyenso can handle playing more than half a game.

We shall see. But I see that as the rotation.
And 2011/12 was the only year he ran that offense. Teague used to drive the lane and throw the lob to whichever guy was open because his defender came off to check the ball. It was really hard to stop, especially with Doron on the floor.

Haven't seen him do it since. He can run that same stuff this year, hopefully he does.

And 2011/12 was the only year he ran that offense. Teague used to drive the lane and throw the lob to whichever guy was open because his defender came off to check the ball. It was really hard to stop, especially with Doron on the floor.

Haven't seen him do it since. He can run that same stuff this year, hopefully he does.
Exactly.

This team seems built to run that way.

As I said before, this team looks like a very poor (impoverished) man’s version of 2012 on paper.

Exactly.

As I said before, this team looks like a very poor (impoverished) man’s version of 2012 on paper.
I've never bought into the "built a certain way" nonsense. You can run any type of offense on any team you want, and if it's executed well it's going to be tough to beat regardless of the personnel running it. Cal just for whatever reason chose to not run that type of offense any more. I'm thinking it was a case of him letting his kids run what they want.

its
In the comments he said he expects a flurry of guys to enter the portal in august once they graduate, so I guess Kentucky goes after somebody from that group
its nice to be able to play couple games, see what we look like then add a big. We still got time to get better.

Exactly.

You know your stuff but I’m not buying this is a “very poor” version of 2012.

Just off the top this team’s guards are deeper and maybe better overall.

Haven’t seen Edwards play but is he that far behind MKG? Push?

Jones and Davis plus Miller are hard to match.

Overall depth is better this year and we sure weren’t saying that 3 weeks ago.

Reactions: dlh331
Exactly.

I hope he does it. If he does, I'll be the first one to stand and applaud. I've been waiting for Cal to modernize his offense for a long time.

You know your stuff but I’m not buying this is a “very poor” version of 2012.

Just off the top this team’s guards are deeper and maybe better overall.

Haven’t seen Edwards play but is he that far behind MKG? Push?

Jones and Davis plus Miller are hard to match.

Overall depth is better this year and we sure weren’t saying that 3 weeks ago.
How can you possibly know that?

We said the same stuff just before the 20/21 season. We thought the new freshmen were some of the best Cal ever landed.

We really need to see these guys play before we crown them.

How can you possibly know that?

We said the same stuff just before the 20/21 season. We thought the new freshmen were some of the best Cal ever landed.

We really need to see these guys play before we crown them.
I'm telling you right now, Wagner and Edwards are straight up animals. We've not had a guard or wing like these two in a few years. Wagner alone will be responsible for several wins, this kid just refuses to lose.

I'm telling you right now, Wagner and Edwards are straight up animals. We've not had a guard or wing like these two in a few years. Wagner alone will be responsible for several wins, this kid just refuses to lose.
I hope you're right. Thing is, Cal needs Dillingham and Bradshaw to be elite too. It can't just stop at Edwards and DJ.

That’s what everyone has to realize, when you create this one-and-done stuff and you have a bunch of freshmen, they all have to be great. Reeves, Mitchell, Ugo and Ado are not the type of players that can take up the slack if the freshmen falter.

Edwards and DJ are going to need to be elite, jaw dropping talents from the jump, if not, we'll be looking at 10+ losses and a really low seed. That crap can't happen this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT