ADVERTISEMENT

Somto Cyril

SkyPrince1

Junior
Aug 17, 2004
Does anyone know if Somto is draft eligible in '24?
Seen a 3-11 update on nbadraft.net and they had Somto at 51 in 24.
This is the first time he has shown up on their draft boards this season.
May have been a mistake. Idk.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
Does anyone know if Somto is draft eligible in '24?
Seen a 3-11 update on nbadraft.net and they had Somto at 51 in 24.
This is the first time he has shown up on their draft boards this season.
May have been a mistake. Idk.
I believe he is eligible, but I highly doubt he makes the jump this year. He seems all in and very eager to be at UK next season.

I believe he is eligible, but I highly doubt he makes the jump this year. He seems all in and very eager to be at UK next season.
Didn't know if there were any whispers out there about Somto going the pro route.
Especially on the heels of UK's pursuit of Maluach.

Yes, his graduating class was 2023. Somto isn’t one I would worry about going to the NBA draft at least. He’s got a long way to go before being seen as a first round pick. For UK next year he will give defense, lobs and rebounding. His offense has a long way to go.

Yes, his graduating class was 2023. Somto isn’t one I would worry about going to the NBA draft at least. He’s got a long way to go before being seen as a first round pick. For UK next year he will give defense, lobs and rebounding. His offense has a long way to go.
Disagree completely with ya. I think Somto is gonna kill it early. To me his rating doesn't even make sense.

Only thing about Somto, I believe anyway, is he will go where the money takes him regardless.

Last edited:
Disagree completely with ya. I think Somto is gonna kill it early. To me his rating doesn't even make sense.
He's definitely right about his skill level. He's a raw beast of a specimen.

Having said that he could just physically dominate dudes and make a bigger impact than many think.

I am surprised at his ranking too, because they usually rank by potential and physical gifts early. He's got those in spades.

I'm excited about him either way. Love guys that treat the rim like it slapped their mom.

He's definitely right about his skill level. He's a raw beast of a specimen.

Having said that he could just physically dominate dudes and make a bigger impact than many think.

I am surprised at his ranking too, because they usually rank by potential and physical gifts early. He's got those in spades.

I'm excited about him either way. Love guys that treat the rim like it slapped their mom.

True, and I still don’t understand why he’s rated so low. Just doesn’t make much sense to me. But I definitely see a guy who’s going to be this years Dillingham in terms of wow factor. I thought dilly was being under appreciated last season and this season I definitely see that as Somto. I’ve been loading up on his OTE’s because I really believe he’s a great investment. Everyone expecting that he isn’t an impact I believe, and hope, they’re wrong.

I think it all boils down to what our current bigs do.
Most draft sites have moved some or all to the '25 draft.
Somto has options.
He could honor his commit to UK.
Return to OTE for another year like Knox was contemplating.
Sign with Ignite.
De-commit and go elsewhere.
It's a moot point now but I don't think Somto and Maluach could have coexisted at UK

Somto Cyril looks more like a weight lifter than a basketball player. I don't have a clue how that's going to play out on the court. He doesn't really dominate for rebounds like an Oscar Tshiebwe or even a Julius Randle, but if you're impressed by body shape and muscles, he'll be your guy. 6'10/255.

My first -- and probably trivial -- take is that Calipari got freaked out by how easily our current team has been pushed around. A front line of Quaintance, Cyril, and Knox is going to look like a bouncer convention in contrast. (I see Knox as a 3)

Somto is like a taller Joey Dorsey who Cal had at Memphis. Physical, athletic, and tough.

He's an excellent defensive player. Watched him hedge/recover in the OTE Finals Game 2 (they play best of 5 championship series) down the stretch and way he could show/recover/contest was impressive but also the way he hedged, moved with the perimeter guy he was defending was high level. Also netted 2 FT's with his team down 3 at the time under a minute left and they were all net-form was very good. But mental toughness to make them is what I liked. For instance Karter Knox was 5-9 or 5-10 from the FT line and he's got a nice looking shot but this aspect of his game is the negative PJ Washington part I've not liked when I watch--time of game he faded and those FT's were just yakked.

If UK keeps more than 2 bigs---NBA is a legit option. If not, he's set to come and was a big factor in Knox choosing Kentucky too-and was tight with Dillingham last year.

One thing I love about Somto-you won't have to tell him to dunk the ball near the rim. He's trying to rip that MF'er down when he's got any opportunity.

Exactly, people better get their expectations in check for him. He’s not refined. No handle. Honestly not the strongest hands in the sense of catching a pass and making a move. That said, he’s athletic, strong, and can rebound. He can run the court and catch lobs as you said. Any progress on skill work will be a bonus.

Somto is like a taller Joey Dorsey who Cal had at Memphis. Physical, athletic, and tough.

He's an excellent defensive player. Watched him hedge/recover in the OTE Finals Game 2 (they play best of 5 championship series) down the stretch and way he could show/recover/contest was impressive but also the way he hedged, moved with the perimeter guy he was defending was high level. Also netted 2 FT's with his team down 3 at the time under a minute left and they were all net-form was very good. But mental toughness to make them is what I liked. For instance Karter Knox was 5-9 or 5-10 from the FT line and he's got a nice looking shot but this aspect of his game is the negative PJ Washington part I've not liked when I watch--time of game he faded and those FT's were just yakked.

If UK keeps more than 2 bigs---NBA is a legit option. If not, he's set to come and was a big factor in Knox choosing Kentucky too-and was tight with Dillingham last year.

One thing I love about Somto-you won't have to tell him to dunk the ball near the rim. He's trying to rip that MF'er down when he's got any opportunity.
I do really like that about him, don’t have to worry about him rebounding and blocking himself trying to lay it up. If he can be Joey Dorsey that would be amazing. He was really solid big man that did the dirty things needed to win.

Somto Cyril looks more like a weight lifter than a basketball player. I don't have a clue how that's going to play out on the court. He doesn't really dominate for rebounds like an Oscar Tshiebwe or even a Julius Randle, but if you're impressed by body shape and muscles, he'll be your guy. 6'10/255.

My first -- and probably trivial -- take is that Calipari got freaked out by how easily our current team has been pushed around. A front line of Quaintance, Cyril, and Knox is going to look like a bouncer convention in contrast. (I see Knox as a 3)
On a positive note, I’ve noticed all the basketball guys talking about how Cal has totally changed everything we run on offense this year. I hope it stays the same, if we have enough guys to run the action. It’s easy to see in how we score but we run all kinda different actions to get 3’s now. When we struggled the last 4 years or so we ran Floppy action every time down, or gave the ball to our best guard and had them curl around and drive. That was it other than throw it in to the post.

Only thing about Somto, I believe anyway, is he will go where the money takes him regardless.
Not sure how you could think he will kill it offensively. I doubt you have watched him play in games. He’s not even a starter on his OTE team. He’s a project offensively, that doesn’t have great hands and very little post game.

True, and I still don’t understand why he’s rated so low. Just doesn’t make much sense to me. But I definitely see a guy who’s going to be this years Dillingham in terms of wow factor. I thought dilly was being under appreciated last season and this season I definitely see that as Somto. I’ve been loading up on his OTE’s because I really believe he’s a great investment. Everyone expecting that he isn’t an impact I believe, and hope, they’re wrong.
I’m not trying to be disrespectful here . Have you seen him play ? I have not. Some people that have list him as “very raw” and a “ project “ . Everyone agrees that he is an athletic beast though.

I’m not trying to be disrespectful here . Have you seen him play ? I have not. Some people that have list him as “very raw” and a “ project “ . Everyone agrees that he is an athletic beast though.

In person? No. I’ve watched a few of his games and did some digging a while back, I see no reason how or why he’s rated so low and why so many think he’s nearly a project that can jump. This kid has an element to him that you rarely see and when you do, it’s as a top player in the class. When he gets the ball around the rim I feel sorry for the rim, he does not hesitate he plays with fire and to embarrass his opponent.

I will be shocked if Cyril isn’t a major player for us year 1.

I guess his game needs work to complete but so do the rest. His defense is also off the charts, if you don’t make the right move you are going to pay for it.

How that guy is rated so low I still cannot find the answer. Where people see project I don’t know either.

On a positive note, I’ve noticed all the basketball guys talking about how Cal has totally changed everything we run on offense this year. I hope it stays the same, if we have enough guys to run the action. It’s easy to see in how we score but we run all kinda different actions to get 3’s now. When we struggled the last 4 years or so we ran Floppy action every time down, or gave the ball to our best guard and had them curl around and drive. That was it other than throw it in to the post.
I’m REALLY hoping Welch is back next year!

In person? No. I’ve watched a few of his games and did some digging a while back, I see no reason how or why he’s rated so low and why so many think he’s nearly a project that can jump. This kid has an element to him that you rarely see and when you do, it’s as a top player in the class. When he gets the ball around the rim I feel sorry for the rim, he does not hesitate he plays with fire and to embarrass his opponent.

I guess his game needs work to complete but so do the rest. His defense is also off the charts, if you don’t make the right move you are going to pay for it.

How that guy is rated so low I still cannot find the answer. Where people see project I don’t know either.
I havent seen anything but highlights. I’ll admit that I’m terrible at predicting how high school kids games translate to college. I’m been wrong so many times! lol

Reactions: Jeff2Reed
Not sure how you could think he will kill it offensively. I doubt you have watched him play in games. He’s not even a starter on his OTE team. He’s a project offensively, that doesn’t have great hands and very little post game.

I just think that if people were thinking Adou was going to be a major player how in the world they also think Somto is a project. Makes no sense.

Man I think the reason he isn’t starting was due to injury. When he has started he was the leading scorer / rebounder in the OTE. Also he’s been known to foul so I guess that might be why too. He is not at all a guy who cannot start and he was starting IIRC.

Yes his half court offense needs work but to my knowledge all of Calipari’s typically do. AD was also billed as a rusty half court guy at one time. Didn’t change the impact at all.

I have watched several of his games.

Somto is going to be a highlight reel and fan favorite day 1. His impact on the defensive end will be immediate. He can change the entire course of our games if he’s grabbing offensive rebounds. The ball will be scored quickly. Tough as nails player that’s going down as one of the most underrated players of the Calipari era coming in.

Y’all bookmark me.

I havent seen anything but highlights. I’ll admit that I’m terrible at predicting how high school kids games translate to college. I’m been wrong so many times! lol

You’re not lying, I’ve missed a few too. But I’ve called a lot more. I did think Green was the guy over SGA, but then I also told most here they were nuts for thinking SKJ was going to be anything. So I guess it’s gone both ways, but I don’t think I’m wrong here and stand by it if I am. Somto is going to be what I said above, I believe it.

Also of note, he’s still growing at 7’0 250. We don’t even know how big he’s going to be. He’s around the size of Shaq at this stage but Shaq had none of his explosiveness. I’m going all in.

Reactions: yoshukai

He averaged 9 pts. and 9 reb. on 37% FT shooting in the regular season.
He is currently averaging 8 pts. and 8 reb. on 57% FT shooting during the playoffs.

I see Somto as a complimentary piece at UK, few minutes here and there, better minutes depending on the opponent and situation. Sometimes no minutes at all.

I agree with the opinion he is a physical specimen that needs lots of development. Not worried about the NBA calling his name, he won't be in demand short term (However, he may not see it that way).

Regards

Everyone needs to remember that history tells us bits come along much slower than other players. Heck, Rob Locke could barely walk and chew gum when he got to UK but when he left was a good player. Jolts will be remembered got what he did to Ohio St. but was very good when he arrived. Someone is one I haven't seen in person but have watched a lot of him in game on you tube, he definitely has some takent.

From what I’ve seen the biggest flaw is his hands, drops a lot of balls and easy passes.

He’s an enforcer. He can look at me and I’m shouting my drawers. I’ve seen a few skirmishes this year. What I noted was they all talk shit to him as they’re backing up, hoping their coach gets in front of them. He is further along defensively. Basically dunks everything. I like him in the SEC next year.

Somto is going to be a highlight reel and fan favorite day 1. His impact on the defensive end will be immediate. He can change the entire course of our games if he’s grabbing offensive rebounds. The ball will be scored quickly. Tough as nails player that’s going down as one of the most underrated players of the Calipari era coming in.

Y’all bookmark me.

You’re not lying, I’ve missed a few too. But I’ve called a lot more. I did think Green was the guy over SGA, but then I also told most here they were nuts for thinking SKJ was going to be anything. So I guess it’s gone both ways, but I don’t think I’m wrong here and stand by it if I am. Somto is going to be what I said above, I believe it.

Also of note, he’s still growing at 7’0 250. We don’t even know how big he’s going to be. He’s around the size of Shaq at this stage but Shaq had none of his explosiveness. I’m going all in.
He is 6’10 and 250. Don’t get carried away. lol

He is 6’10 and 250. Don’t get carried away. lol

I’ve seen it listed all over. He looks close to a 7 footer to me. I think you’re right though, I don’t think he’s 7 foot, but he will be probably.

Everyone is going to be wrong about Somto. He’s more legit than a lot of guys I’ve seen come through with higher rankings and more expectations. He will at least be a lot better than many here believe he will. I believe he’ll be an impact player few saw coming. We’ll see.

I’ve seen it listed all over. He looks close to a 7 footer to me. I think you’re right though, I don’t think he’s 7 foot, but he will be probably.

Everyone is going to be wrong about Somto. He’s more legit than a lot of guys I’ve seen come through with higher rankings and more expectations. He will at least be a lot better than many here believe he will. I believe he’ll be an impact player few saw coming. We’ll see.
He gets rave reviews from coaches and he's definitely a big big man, but he doesn't show up well in his Youtube highlight clips. "Oh, another dunk." Whoever edits those leaves out things like running, dribbling, passing, defense, and shooting.

He gets rave reviews from coaches and he's definitely a big big man, but he doesn't show up well in his Youtube highlight clips. "Oh, another dunk." Whoever edits those leaves out things like running, dribbling, passing, defense, and shooting.

Exactly my thoughts on the exposure. YouTube and his games are vastly different. He’s a special player.

does he have a decent 3 ball

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT