ADVERTISEMENT

Somto commits to UK

I hope you're right. Thing is, Cal needs Dillingham and Bradshaw to be elite too. It can't just stop at Edwards and DJ.

That’s what everyone has to realize, when you create this one-and-done stuff and you have a bunch of freshmen, they all have to be great. Reeves, Mitchell, Ugo and Ado are not the type of players that can take up the slack if the freshmen falter.

Edwards and DJ are going to need to be elite, jaw dropping talents from the jump, if not, we'll be looking at 10+ losses and a really low seed. That crap can't happen this year.
Agreed. This year needs to be a 30+ win team and reach the E8 and hopefully a F4. It's been way too long. If this is another 10+ loss team, no SEC title, no SECT title and no E8 or F4, I don't see how Cal can survive.

You know your stuff but I’m not buying this is a “very poor” version of 2012.

Just off the top this team’s guards are deeper and maybe better overall.

Haven’t seen Edwards play but is he that far behind MKG? Push?

Jones and Davis plus Miller are hard to match.

Overall depth is better this year and we sure weren’t saying that 3 weeks ago.
I hope you are right, but looking at this 12 vs. ‘24 on paper.

PG Teague vs. Wagner- ranked about the same spot, I actually think Wagner will be better.

SG Lamb vs. Reeves- Lamb by a country mile.

SF Kidd-Gilchrist vs. Edwards- ranked about the same, but it would surprise me if Edwards turns out to be that good. MKG was a beast and a great leader as a Freshman. And built like a grown man.

PF Jones vs. Mitchell- Mitchell will be good, but he is not on Jones’ level.

C Davis vs. Bradshaw- highly unlikely that Bradshaw or anyone on this roster is remotely as good as AD. AD was a once in a lifetime freak of nature. Expecting Bradshaw to be that good is asking a lot.

Bench

Miller vs. Dillingham- Miller was a 6’8 Senior with guard skills and could play almost any position. On paper, no one on this roster is like that. Dillingham could match his scoring, but won’t shoot it like Miller.

Vargas vs. Onyenso- probably a push. Vargas was a grown man, though. He wasn’t really needed as much as Onyenso will probably be needed.

Wiltjer vs. Thiero- probably a push. Wiltjer was likely better on offense and Thiero will be better on defense. Wiltjer was a great shooter, but his defense was atrocious.

2012 didn’t go much deeper than 8, but next year’s team has Sheppard, who could play meaningful minutes.

So the ‘12 starters are, IMHO, way better than ‘24 on paper.

‘24 might have slightly more depth, but if you can avoid injuries, depth doesn’t really matter past your 8th man.

So I stand by my “very poor man’s” description.

Reactions: G-PIP and Fox2monk
How many fouls per minute played? You know the refs already have their whistles ready the second he checks into a game.

I hope you're right. Thing is, Cal needs Dillingham and Bradshaw to be elite too. It can't just stop at Edwards and DJ.

That’s what everyone has to realize, when you create this one-and-done stuff and you have a bunch of freshmen, they all have to be great. Reeves, Mitchell, Ugo and Ado are not the type of players that can take up the slack if the freshmen falter.

Edwards and DJ are going to need to be elite, jaw dropping talents from the jump, if not, we'll be looking at 10+ losses and a really low seed. That crap can't happen this year.
I think Mitchell and Reeves can definitely pick up some slack and will be responsible for many wins this year. Reeves will probably lead us in scoring.

I hope you are right, but looking at this 12 vs. ‘24 on paper.

PG Teague vs. Wagner- ranked about the same spot, I actually think Wagner will be better.

SG Lamb vs. Reeves- Lamb by a country mile.

SF Kidd-Gilchrist vs. Edwards- ranked about the same, but it would surprise me if Edwards turns out to be that good. MKG was a beast and a great leader as a Freshman. And built like a grown man.

PF Jones vs. Mitchell- Mitchell will be good, but he is not on Jones’ level.

C Davis vs. Bradshaw- highly unlikely that Bradshaw or anyone on this roster is remotely as good as AD. AD was a once in a lifetime freak of nature. Expecting Bradshaw to be that good is asking a lot.

Bench

Miller vs. Dillingham- Miller was a 6’8 Senior with guard skills and could play almost any position. On paper, no one on this roster is like that. Dillingham could match his scoring, but won’t shoot it like Miller.

Vargas vs. Onyenso- probably a push. Vargas was a grown man, though. He wasn’t really needed as much as Onyenso will probably be needed.

Wiltjer vs. Thiero- probably a push. Wiltjer was likely better on offense and Thiero will be better on defense. Wiltjer was a great shooter, but his defense was atrocious.

2012 didn’t go much deeper than 8, but next year’s team has Sheppard, who could play meaningful minutes.

So the ‘12 starters are, IMHO, way better than ‘24 on paper.

‘24 might have slightly more depth, but if you can avoid injuries, depth doesn’t really matter past your 8th man.

So I stand by my “very poor man’s” description.
I think it’s pretty close for sure, nobody will be AD but everyone else can match the production of the other spots for sure. Now rebounding and defense are another story. That team were monster on both sides of the ball.

I think it’s pretty close for sure, nobody will be AD but everyone else can match the production of the other spots for sure. Now rebounding and defense are another story. That team were monster on both sides of the ball.
Mitchell and Bradshaw are highly unlikely to match TJ/AD production levels. Just not going to happen, IMHO.

Mitchell and Bradshaw are highly unlikely to match TJ/AD production levels. Just not going to happen, IMHO.
Jones was at 12.3pts and 7.2 boards. Pretty close to what Mitchell averaged last year. AD was at 14.3points and 10.4 rebounds. I don’t see Bradshaw getting that high but he could be a 10 point and 9 rebound player. Production will be close but impact overall won’t be on defense.

Jones was at 12.3pts and 7.2 boards. Pretty close to what Mitchell averaged last year. AD was at 14.3points and 10.4 rebounds. I don’t see Bradshaw getting that high but he could be a 10 point and 9 rebound player. Production will be close but impact overall won’t be on defense.
I just know if you are expecting Mitchell and Bradshaw to be the second coming of TJ/AD, you are likely going to be very disappointed.

We needed a ‘24 class signing but we will not be physical at all at the 4-5 spots this coming season.

Will be a huge issue.
That is why you finish the roster with the biggest football players that didnt get Playing Time so they dont transfer to keep them happy!

We are Kentucky!!!

I have never nor will ever try to compare a team I haven't seen play real games vs 2012 BUT on talent alone . Edwards is better then MKG and Wagner is light years beyond Teague. Dillingham IMO is better then him as well. Also depth is better 23-24 then 12 IMO . That team had no depth luckily no injuries that year. Still 12 had Jones and AD which is the single best front court at the 4 and 5 spots I have witnessed since I started following UK b-ball in 93 .

Reactions: bucsrule8872
I don't quite get the post who said "you can run any offense with any personnel. ' Ugh no you can't. Personnel determines what you can run. You can run DDO if you don't have a point guard that can, you know drive. It takes a very talented, strong at the rim guard to run DD. Lol, yeah "we are going to run dd offense, I don't give a damn what our make up is. " that is the very definition of trying to put a square peg in a round hole. THIS team is a ideal team to run it. You have guards galore, elite penetrator in Wagner, elite wing in Edwards, athletic front court players in Mitchell and Bradshaw, and capable shooters in Reeves, Dillingham. Last year's team would have been horrible at DD with Wallace at PG. Love the kid, but driving and dribbling wasn't exactly his strengths.

I've never bought into the "built a certain way" nonsense. You can run any type of offense on any team you want, and if it's executed well it's going to be tough to beat regardless of the personnel running it. Cal just for whatever reason chose to not run that type of offense any more. I'm thinking it was a case of him letting his kids run what they want.
No you can't. IF the players aren't capable of executing it, you can't run it. It's not IF it's executed, it's if the player is capable of executing. This team with Wagner (DD needs a great guard who penetrate AND finish at the rim) is perfect for DD. Wagner is the prototype guard for DD, Edwards on the wing and an athletic front court also helps in running DD. I to think it's a roster suited to run the DDO, but because we have players CAPABLE of running it. Not just run it and if it's executed it will work thought. Last year Wallace would have been terrible at running it. Fox ran it, once again elite PG. Without a elite , capable pg, you CANT run it, i dont give a damn how hard you try to.

• Haha
Reactions: kyjeff1
No I don’t think they are the second coming, just that they will be good enough I believe to man the post and do what we need.
Agreed.

We understand this, but some people on this board will jump on a comparison and say, “2024 is like 2012, so let’s order our championship shirts now.” LOL!

Reactions: Fox2monk
I think Mitchell and Reeves can definitely pick up some slack and will be responsible for many wins this year. Reeves will probably lead us in scoring.
I'm thinking Edwards will be our leading scorer with Wagner a close second.
Well, that's what I feel needs to happen for this team to be any good.

You literally CAN run any style of play you want. It’s not like it's illegal to rin a spread offense if all you have is a team full of Wheeler's.

Cal has been running the exact same system on both ends of the court his entire career, yet he hasn’t had two teams that were anything alike.

Skal was no KAT, but he was asked to do the exact same back-to-the-basket style of play. So, you can play however you want, it doesn't mean you'll be the best at it, but there is literally zero reason why one can't run whatever offense they want.

Heck, Cal could have Cuz at the 1 and Wheeler at the 5, he would STILL run a post offense.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I'm thinking Edwards will be our leading scorer with Wagner a close second.
Well, that's what I feel needs to happen for this team to be any good.
I think Wagner will end up our leading scorer, but Edwards will be our best all-around player.

I think Reeves and Mitchell will put up similar numbers as last year. Might go down a tad because the Freshmen will have the ball a lot.

If Bradshaw is as good as the rankings make him out to be, we could have five guys close to double digits in scoring.

No one over 15ppg.

Balanced scoring.

No you can't. IF the players aren't capable of executing it, you can't run it. It's not IF it's executed, it's if the player is capable of executing. This team with Wagner (DD needs a great guard who penetrate AND finish at the rim) is perfect for DD. Wagner is the prototype guard for DD, Edwards on the wing and an athletic front court also helps in running DD. I to think it's a roster suited to run the DDO, but because we have players CAPABLE of running it. Not just run it and if it's executed it will work thought. Last year Wallace would have been terrible at running it. Fox ran it, once again elite PG. Without a elite , capable pg, you CANT run it, i dont give a damn how hard you try to.
My ole stalker KY Narcissist quotes another post of mine. Only with a Ha Ha. But didn't list ANYTHING debating my post. No facts , no info, no opinion. Just childish ass ha ha. Lol, you are one dumb individual. You can't be a grown adult, at least with a full mental capability anyway.

Agreed.

We understand this, but some people on this board will jump on a comparison and say, “2024 is like 2012, so let’s order our championship shirts now.” LOL!
I think even if they were that Cal isn’t the same coach that could get that kinda result anymore.

My ole stalker KY Narcissist quotes another post of mine. Only with a Ha Ha. But didn't list ANYTHING debating my post. No facts , no info, no opinion. Just childish ass ha ha. Lol, you are one dumb individual. You can't be a grown adult, at least with a full mental capability anyway.
Nobody is stalking you. Get over yourself, you simply aren't that important.

You're getting quoted a lot, because your takes are so bad, that’s it, that’s the big secret that you're struggling to figure out.

You literally said you can’t run offenses that don't fit your personnel, that is 100% incorrect and I gave you literal examples. Examples you should already know, because you're such a huge Cal fan.

With the exception of 2011/12, Cal has run the exact same post offense regardlesss of personnel.

You knew you were proven wrong, so instead of debating, you chose to deflect by playing the victim card. Grow up.

You quoted yourself 😂😂😂

I think you're right about Wagner having the right skill set for Calipari's version of DD (which is a huge difference from the way Vance Walberg designed it). There may have been some Calipari Guards that were better getting into the lane than Wagner - which remains to be seen - but it sure seems like he works harder at getting into the lane as any I remember.

You can run any play you want, ya maroon. Whether the players execute that play and make the shot is down to them. Implementation and running the plays is up to the coach.
Hey Moron why would you try to run a offense that your PG and /or team is not capable or co.fortable running ? Sounds like a recipe for failure to me. So you and all of your cronies think every team no matter personel, can run DD offense and be good at it, simply by coaching it ? Cal is the best known at running it (not debatable), if he doesn't run it, he knows it's not the best offense to run based on his team makeup. Why don't EVERY just run it if any team can ??

Hey Moron why would you try to run a offense that your PG and /or team is not capable or co.fortable running ? Sounds like a recipe for failure to me. So you and all of your cronies think every team no matter personel, can run DD offense and be good at it, simply by coaching it ? Cal is the best known at running it (not debatable), if he doesn't run it, he knows it's not the best offense to run based on his team makeup. Why don't EVERY just run it if any team can ??
You should ask Cal that question. You sit here and blindly defend that guy, but you just unknowingly critisized Cal for what he has been doing since he got here.

He runs the same system regardlesss of personnel. Prove me wrong.

Last edited:
You should ask Cal that question. You sit here and blindly defend that guy, but you just unknowingly critisized Cal for what he gas been doing since he got here.

He runs the same system regardlesss of personnel. Prove me wrong.
This is true. He made and exception right at the end of conference play and into post season in 2011 with Knight and Jorts. So I know he could do it if he put some energy into it. But he doesn’t.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Glad to have him on board and give the Cats much needed depth in the front court.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT