ADVERTISEMENT

Something we all should be able to agree on

Wait, you're judging Allen by the little bit of extended minutes he got to play last year and you're comparing his results to a guy (Boston) that got to play 35mpg and never get yanked for poor play? Allen got yanked the second he did one thing wrong, but Boston was allowed to do everything possible to ruin any chance UK had to win without a worry of getting yanked. That just seems like an unfair comparison to me. Allen sat on the bench and didn't even get to play some games. I don't think it’s fair to compare players like that. I don't care that Boston's ceiling was higher, after the Richmond game, his reins should have been pulled way back, but that never happened.

As far as Cal touting the NBA a little too much, it's a lot too much and is the reason why this program is going backwards. If he's not willing to stop the turnstile bullshit, he’s going to continue to lose fans, especially if he comes up short of the FF this year, then stands idly by while most of the team jumps ship again.
You are letting your dislike for Cal's system cloud your judgement. If you aren't comparing Allen to Boston, then who are you comparing him to. You were the one that started the judgement. But I never compared the players themselves, I simply viewed Allen in the light of changing actual outcomes, which it seems he didn't actually do. Let's examine Allen fully. Cal didn't start out hating and not playing Allen, he played him early in the season, and Allen was getting some minutes until they played Georgia Tech. There Allen had 3 turnovers and was 0-1 from the field in the only 4 times he even as much as touched the ball. In fact, in the first half of the game Cal put Allen in, and he turned it over on 2 straight possessions causing UK to lose the lead. Cal took him out and talked to him. Couple minutes later put him back in after UK got the lead again, and he immediately turned it over, then missed a 3 and fouled the guy for an and 1, causing UK to lose the lead again, only this time they would never get it back. He didn't yank him after one mistake, but you can't play playing like that. But then we lost a lot over the next few games and the sentiment went from he is unplayable right now, to why isn't Allen playing. If you play scared or can't hold you own, Cal ain't going to play you. Fanbase got loud, and Cal finally played him against Miss St. He has a great game, the fans started yapping, and thus Allen's demise. Bot saying Cal's management of Allen has been correct, but Allen basically had 2 games of note last year, both against the same team. And he had several games following his first game against Miss St where he played a lot, but was ineffective. Problem is, fans were so enamored by his one performance that they blamed every bad performance on Cal. Kid just isn't really that good right now, and I'm including last year. Boston wasn't good most games, but neither was Allen. Allen beginning with the fir Miss St game played 15 or more minutes in 9 of 10 games, over 20 the first 6 games of that. Let me read you his outputs: 23, 14, 6, 8, 8, 3, 6, 12, 0, 3. That certainly doesn't scream I got to play. That culminated in 3 points in 19 minutes in a loss to UT. From there, his time started dwindling. He played 18 minutes combined in the next 2 games scoring a grand total of 3 points. He played spot/cleanup minutes the next few games before spotting us 2 points in 10 minutes against USC. He found a groove against Miss St, in the next games and played 29 minutes and scored 23 points. Sure doesn't seem like a guy that wasn't given a chance to play. He was given the chance, and his play dwindled as his performance dwindled. In the games where he had it going a bit, Cal played him. He didn't get jerked for every mistake. Much like this year, he was given opportunities to play last year and just did not capitalize. The fantasy of Allen is made up by the fans because they got enamored by the games against Miss St.

I wanted to kick your ass at one point but that don't mean I can't agree with some of what you said. The roster turnover does kill us. In fact I've never seen anything like it. Whether it's leaving to soon for the NBA, transferring ect.

I've been a very vocal critic of the stall ball. We are almost always the more athletic team in a game. We should play, and please forgive me for saying this, the way Roy Williams teams played. Push for a bucket and if nothing's there use the secondary break. This allowing the other team to establish the tempo is ridiculous. I can't think of two clearer examples of how dumb this is than Notre Dame, a game we were lucky to win, and even more egregious was the Wisconsin game. WE should be forcing the tempo.

Taking time to figure out the team is understandable if we make noise in March. But it does mean ugly basketball half the year. And to me grabbing transfers who are acclimated to the game is the same as one and done in the sense that they have to learn to play together with a knew team.

I must admit I thought you were a troll when we went at it but I can see you just really care about the cats.

Not directed at you but we've also had terrible luck since 2015 in the tournament.

2016 we had to play a criminally underrated Indiana who won the big 10 outright and was our 5 seed.

2017 still really haunts me. We had the longest win streak going into the tournament and were playing better than anyone. I don't blame refs often but every starter had 2 fouls with with over 8 mins in the first half. Not only did we stay in it, it took a buzzer beater from the eventual champs.

2018 we shit the bed plain and simple.

2019 against Auburn, a team who constantly reaches in and somehow v didn't commit a foul the final 9:25 seconds of regulation, boggles the mind.

2020 i truly believe that team could've won it all.

In conclusion I think everything bounced our way v through 2015 and now we're experiencing the complete opposite.

My bad for the memoir, as I agree with a lot of what your saying. I still have a lot of faith in Cal. I would cease being a fan if Bruce Pearl became our coach. K is done after this year and I think Cal is gonna dominate recruiting, like he's been doing, but more and better with K gone.
Yeah, I mean so many of us don't want Cal fired, but what he is doing is not what's right for this program and the results show that.
I don't want to replace him with Drew, Pearl, Oats or Stevens, I want him to model the program off of what those guys are doing (refined version of what Oats is doing).
But if Cal continues to churn the roster, it doesn't matter what system he runs, it won't work. We’re getting lucky this year, guys like Oscar don't come around often. If he wasn't a crazy rebounder, we'd have more losses coming. I don't think Cal knew he was going to be this good.
If he truly wanted to fix this, he would get Toppin, Wheeler, Brooks, Allen, Hopkins and Collins back. Those guys aren't going pro, so Cal needs to recruit them back to UK.
I appreciate your reply to me. I'm definitely not a troll, I'm just a UK nut that wants what's best for UK and this culture is not what's best.

Well then it must irk you to no end that Morgousky was banned and told to move on yet has come back as Gromcat and continues to bash Cal, tell people they are dumb if they don’t agree with him, etc. That sticks in your craw, right??

Let me know when you confront him on that or I’ll have to add you to the trash heap of empty suits who’s are FOS and whose posts I never even see anymore.

PS, if you are a accusing me of posting under other names, post them up and let’s have a moderator take a look at it. #fakenews.
Wait, you're talking about Morg creating a new username and continuing to post on here, but you're obviously doing the same thing. You're also trolling.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
You are letting your dislike for Cal's system cloud your judgement. If you aren't comparing Allen to Boston, then who are you comparing him to. You were the one that started the judgement. But I never compared the players themselves, I simply viewed Allen in the light of changing actual outcomes, which it seems he didn't actually do. Let's examine Allen fully. Cal didn't start out hating and not playing Allen, he played him early in the season, and Allen was getting some minutes until they played Georgia Tech. There Allen had 3 turnovers and was 0-1 from the field in the only 4 times he even as much as touched the ball. In fact, in the first half of the game Cal put Allen in, and he turned it over on 2 straight possessions causing UK to lose the lead. Cal took him out and talked to him. Couple minutes later put him back in after UK got the lead again, and he immediately turned it over, then missed a 3 and fouled the guy for an and 1, causing UK to lose the lead again, only this time they would never get it back. He didn't yank him after one mistake, but you can't play playing like that. But then we lost a lot over the next few games and the sentiment went from he is unplayable right now, to why isn't Allen playing. If you play scared or can't hold you own, Cal ain't going to play you. Fanbase got loud, and Cal finally played him against Miss St. He has a great game, the fans started yapping, and thus Allen's demise. Bot saying Cal's management of Allen has been correct, but Allen basically had 2 games of note last year, both against the same team. And he had several games following his first game against Miss St where he played a lot, but was ineffective. Problem is, fans were so enamored by his one performance that they blamed every bad performance on Cal. Kid just isn't really that good right now, and I'm including last year. Boston wasn't good most games, but neither was Allen. Allen beginning with the fir Miss St game played 15 or more minutes in 9 of 10 games, over 20 the first 6 games of that. Let me read you his outputs: 23, 14, 6, 8, 8, 3, 6, 12, 0, 3. That certainly doesn't scream I got to play. That culminated in 3 points in 19 minutes in a loss to UT. From there, his time started dwindling. He played 18 minutes combined in the next 2 games scoring a grand total of 3 points. He played spot/cleanup minutes the next few games before spotting us 2 points in 10 minutes against USC. He found a groove against Miss St, in the next games and played 29 minutes and scored 23 points. Sure doesn't seem like a guy that wasn't given a chance to play. He was given the chance, and his play dwindled as his performance dwindled. In the games where he had it going a bit, Cal played him. He didn't get jerked for every mistake. Much like this year, he was given opportunities to play last year and just did not capitalize. The fantasy of Allen is made up by the fans because they got enamored by the games against Miss St.
The reason you can’t fairly compare Boston and Allen is because BJB was allowed to play through some of the worst play I've ever seen and Allen wasn't.
UK went on a 6 game losing streak after beating Morehead State and BJB did everything in his power to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory in each one of those games. That guy should never have been allowed to be on the court in a UK jersey, but he was getting 35mpg and was always in the game at crunch time.
Allen was never allowed to play through his mistakes.
Also, you said "Cal" allowed him to play in that Mississippi State road game, that’s not true, Cal got thrown out, Bruiser is the one that put Allen in and left him in and he single handedly won the game. Boston never took a game over like that.
You just can't compare a guy that got 35mpg to a guy that didn’t even get to play in a lot of games and when he did play, he had a short leash.

If I am contrary, that means you take issue with anyone that disagrees with the incessant Cal whining. Sorry man, some of us don't focus on negativity, especially after 2 players got hurt and we missed 10 foul shots on the road. Anybody taking advantage of that to advance a "Cal Sucks" narrative is not cool, IMO. I'm sorry that bugs you. Actually, I'm not sorry.
Baller left as an ass and 4pinocchios comes back as the same ass.

The bastard has cheated every place he has been , I don’t want him associated with the University of Kentucky.
That’s fair, but his style of play is fun to watch snd very effective on both sides of the ball.

I think this thread has some "Pearls" of truth.

But to be honest, I dont think Coach Cal will change.

We see what happens with his system and its tough to watch.

You want to develop your players "in order to make the NBA" but you don't just shuffle them off when there are more games to win in college....Do you? Its a tough decision but ideals have changed in the younger crowd.

We've had like 30 guys in the past 11 years make the NBA........something similar to that thinking.

Just imagine, if they had the guts to delay the gratification and actually win some more games or perhaps a national title? But at the same time, the "injury" issue has always been a concern. You'd want to make the NBA before sustaining an injury.... it's just tough to reason it out.

I think this thread has some "Pearls" of truth.

But to be honest, I dont think Coach Cal will change.

We see what happens with his system and its tough to watch.

You want to develop your players "in order to make the NBA" but you don't just shuffle them off when there are more games to win in college....Do you? Its a tough decision but ideals have changed in the younger crowd.
Well, Cal wants to develop his players to make the NBA, but the difference between him and the other coaches I listed in my OP, is Cal is bringing in 5* kids that are already slated to go to the NBA. When you do that, you have no shot at retaining them for very long. So in essence, you are bringing those players in knowing that kid has no plans on staying beyond two years.

But the problem is, a lot of these kids aren't actually good enough to go pro, but they leave anyway.

Programs like Baylor, Villanova, UVA… well, everybody else, is bringing in 3 and 4 star kids, developing them to win college games, then, if they're good enough, they go pro. Now to me, that is how you truly help kids reach their dreams. Taking 5* kids that are already going pro and getting them drafted, is like jumping on a dead deer, stabbing it and claiming you killed it.

Reactions: CatsIndy2010
We've had like 30 guys in the past 11 years make the NBA........something similar to that thinking.

Just imagine, if they had the guts to delay the gratification and actually win some more games or perhaps a national title? But at the same time, the "injury" issue has always been a concern. You'd want to make the NBA before sustaining an injury.... it's just tough to reason it out.
Here's the thing, all those guys that went first round, should have left and no fan should critisize those guys for leaving. Got no problem with that.

It’s the ones that leave after 1 or 2 years for the GL, or overseas that really have hurt this program and Cal hasn't fixed that problem, he just shrugs his shoulders at it, then tells us this is great for the program. That’s bullshit.

Well then it must irk you to no end that Morgousky was banned and told to move on yet has come back as Gromcat and continues to bash Cal, tell people they are dumb if they don’t agree with him, etc. That sticks in your craw, right??

Let me know when you confront him on that or I’ll have to add you to the trash heap of empty suits who’s are FOS and whose posts I never even see anymore.

PS, if you are a accusing me of posting under other names, post them up and let’s have a moderator take a look at it. #fakenews.
Nothing related to this site “sticks in my craw” lol. You take yourself, and this site, way too seriously, bro.

Nothing related to this site “sticks in my craw” lol. You take yourself, and this site, way too seriously, bro.

Says the guy that got agitated enough to post garbage at me today, even though I have no idea who you are. Took you long enough to come up with a response, albeit a dumb one. You missed the sarcasm. Of course you have no problem with Morgousky doing what you are accusing me of doing because you have a set of rules for him a set of rule for others.

I hear Jeff's available since you seem to want to get in his pants.

33,000 posts and 3,000 likes. LOL, at least 1 out of 10 of your posts is found of interest to others. See ya. Hypocrites are pathetic.

Last edited:
Says the guy that got agitated enough to post garbage at me today, even though I have no idea who you are. Took you long enough to come up with a response, albeit a dumb one. I hear Jeff's available since you seem to want to get in his pants.
You really need to do some growing up. That’s the thing with posters like you. You can keep changing usernames, but you can’t change what you are.

Says the guy that got agitated enough to post garbage at me today, even though I have no idea who you are. Took you long enough to come up with a response, albeit a dumb one. You missed the sarcasm. Of course you have no problem with Morgousky doing what you are accusing me of doing because you have a set of rules for him a set of rule for others.

I hear Jeff's available since you seem to want to get in his pants.

33,000 posts and 3,000 likes. LOL, at least 1 out of 10 of your posts is found of interest to others. See ya. Hypocrites are pathetic.
Hey Baller, it's 'Mr. Jeff' to you. A little respect aye!

Yeah, I mean so many of us don't want Cal fired, but what he is doing is not what's right for this program and the results show that.
I don't want to replace him with Drew, Pearl, Oats or Stevens, I want him to model the program off of what those guys are doing (refined version of what Oats is doing).
But if Cal continues to churn the roster, it doesn't matter what system he runs, it won't work. We’re getting lucky this year, guys like Oscar don't come around often. If he wasn't a crazy rebounder, we'd have more losses coming. I don't think Cal knew he was going to be this good.
If he truly wanted to fix this, he would get Toppin, Wheeler, Brooks, Allen, Hopkins and Collins back. Those guys aren't going pro, so Cal needs to recruit them back to UK.
I appreciate your reply to me. I'm definitely not a troll, I'm just a UK nut that wants what's best for UK and this culture is not what's best.
Yeah I see that you're a die hard fan now. My apologies for being a dick to you when we had our little spat.

Yeah I see that you're a die hard fan now. My apologies for being a dick to you when we had our little spat.
No need to apologize at all, I don't blame anyone for getting angry at me or battling me on this and you didn't ever say anything out of line.
Everyone should stand behind the coach of their team, until they feel it's time to question what they're seeing.
I have no problem with anyone that supports Cal, it just means they're more patient than I am.

Reactions: michaeluk26
I just want Cal to run to run a good modern offense. Apparently that's too much to ask and I'm just a Cal hater for stating the obvious about our offense.

Okay, fine, but Cal didn’t win one until he got to UK and he still only has one with far more talent than BP has ever had.
Ok fine back to my post, call when he WINS something. And by the way the warbeagles website will take you as a member if you show your I hate Cal card.

Ok fine back to my post, call when he WINS something. And by the way the warbeagles website will take you as a member if you show your I hate Cal card.
How many titles did Cal win before he made it to UK?
He has 1 more final 4, pre UK, than Bruce has.
I don't know how you can look at what BP is doing at Auburn and not be impressed.
Again, I don't want BP as UK's coach, but I would love it if Cal ran his complete system here.

Bro he doesn't hate Cal. I thought he did too and me and him went at it. I was fighting mad. But once I calmed down and understood his criticisms I realized he's def a fan, just tired of seeing a stagnant offense.

Reactions: kyjeff1
How many titles did Cal win before he made it to UK?
He has 1 more final 4, pre UK, than Bruce has.
I don't know how you can look at what BP is doing at Auburn and not be impressed.
Again, I don't want BP as UK's coach, but I would love it if Cal ran his complete system here.
I can agree with that he is has winning record as a coach. I believe there is more to coaching college athletes than a system that says cheat at any cost to win. The aforementioned system was fostered and taught to young men that should be learning honesty and values now Pizz on BP and the warbeagles too.

Bro he doesn't hate Cal. I thought he did too and me and him went at it. I was fighting mad. But once I calmed down and understood his criticisms I realized he's def a fan, just tired of seeing a stagnant offense.
I agree improvements can be made in the offense. But I can disagree on how much I dislike pearl.

Reactions: michaeluk26
I can agree with that he is has winning record as a coach. I believe there is more to coaching college athletes than a system that says cheat at any cost to win. The aforementioned system was fostered and taught to young men that should be learning honesty and values now Pizz on BP and the warbeagles too.
But you're not following me. This has nothing to do with who cheated, this has everything to do with high octane offense, extremely physical and smothering defense and player retention.
Yeah, BP cheated, but honestly, he didn't have to.

I agree improvements can be made in the offense. But I can disagree on how much I dislike pearl.
As a person, I don't like Pearl either, that’s why I said I only want his systems, not him.

But you know what I hate worse than Bruce Pearl? Our 'leave-UK-as-fast-as-you-can' culture that we have at UK. That has done more damage to each roster than anything else since Cal got here.

But you're not following me. This has nothing to do with who cheated, this has everything to do with high octane offense, extremely physical and smothering defense and player retention.
Yeah, BP cheated, but honestly, he didn't have to.
When he wins a title with that high octane offense let me know.

When he wins a title with that high octane offense let me know.
Well, if there was no NBA lockout, Cal would'nt have the one he has. His system isn't working very well these days if we're being honest.

But here's the thing you need to look at, Baylor is very, very similar to Auburn, the difference is, Baylor is more sound on both sides of the ball, because they have more veterans.

Don't sit there and act like the system Pearl is running, can't win a title, it just did last year and AU was in a FF just a few years ago and he beat us to get there.

Honestly, you're being quite ignorant right now.

Well, if there was no NBA lockout, Cal would'nt have the one he has. His system isn't working very well these days if we're being honest.

But here's the thing you need to look at, Baylor is very, very similar to Auburn, the difference is, Baylor is more sound on both sides of the ball, because they have more veterans.

Don't sit there and act like the system Pearl is running, can't win a title, it just did last year and AU was in a FF just a few years ago and he beat us to get there.

Ty for that Dr fill. Now back to where this started without if buts ands etcs. Let us know win he WINS not almost WINS.
aU did not win the title last year lol.
AS far as personal attacks that is for people that can win with facts. Now if you use google I am certain you can find and join the auburn board.

Ty for that Dr fill. Now back to where this started without if buts ands etcs. Let us know win he WINS not almost WINS.
aU did not win the title last year lol.
AS far as personal attacks that is for people that can win with facts. Now if you use google I am certain you can find and join the auburn board.
Yeah, you can go get bent for all I care. If you don't like the facts that I've placed at your feet, then that is a YOU problem.

I didn’t know Auburn won a title. I must have missed that. When was that?

We keep asking each other to come up with a list of who can come in and replace Cal, but every list one side makes, gets immediately discredited by the other side. It's usually something like "he'd never come here", or "he had a string of bad seasons 12+ years ago". Truth is, there is no perfect fit and honestly, the pickin's are slim.

After some thought on this, I came to the realization that even though I have Scott Drew on my list, I don't actually want Scott Drew, no, I want his system and I want Cal to coach it. Scott Drew doesn’t cater to the NBA, he gets kids that are program guys, redshirts some of them and develops them, then they step on the court as juniors and seniors and they play like a well oiled machine. He’s not yelling all game long, because he did his coaching over the course of several years.

I don't actually want Nate Oats, I want his gritty attitude and his ideas. His system needs fine tuning, but he runs a high octane style that utilizes long and athletic shooters that defend well. Give him a few years. But Nate isn't worthy of the UK job, but I wouldn't mind if Cal played a tuned 'Nate Oats' style.

I don't want Bruce Pearl, but damn, I want Cal to run the stuff Pearl runs. Hell yeah, he presses, he gets athletic freaks that drive hard to the rim, they open the floor up with good outside shooting and he makes great adjustments. His system is probably the best out of all of them. Also, I love his passion.

I think we would all love to get Brad Stevens, that’s very unlikely to ever happen, but I would love his coaching mind here. I think we all know how brilliant he is as a coach. He can take non-athletic kids and beat anybody. He runs an offense that is difficult to guard, with back cuts and a lot of misdirection plays that get easy baskets. This isn’t something Cal would ever do, but as a fan, you should want what Brad runs.

All these coaches are good player developers, they all use the 3 point shot effectively and they care about winning more than anything else.

Our issues with Cal are pretty simple. The roster turnover is a big issue, the offense, the stall ball, talking down to fans, the yelling all game long, taking half the season to figure out his team, the culture he created, which promotes leaving as fast as you can and the lousy pre-conference scheduling where we only play bigtime opponents when forced to or on neutral courts.

Most of us don't want Cal to quit or get fired, we just want him to stop the one-and-done, stop the pro days, change the offense and develop players over time instead of trying to microwave these kids' games.
Only thing we can agree on is that this is a useless thread as well as not smart

Reactions: kl40504
Peacefully? So I get to burn your house down and steal all your shit on my way there?
Let's not bring politics in it, a mod doesn't really value my politics and removes them and asks me not to be political. Can we have same rules for malcontents

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT