ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Pope - The winning ticket

SacramentoKat

Sophomore
Jan 25, 2006
Pitino - too old,

Hurley - just flipped us off after he won the tourney

Scott Drew - bleh, boring offense.

Bruce Pearl - Scandals, so much hate for KY over the years, best years behind him.

Nate Oats - Just flipped us off on social media.

Donovan - He already passed on us once. He’d end up just taking a check. His best years are over.

Mark Pope truly loves Kentucky and he has proven he can coach. No he hasn’t got a NC in his belt, but neither did Pitino, or Cal, or Tubby or many coaches for that matter. That just means he has the fire to get it done. He would bring the passion back to the bluegrass, and wouldn’t have to go to $10M and could use funds for other means.

Pitino - too old,

Bruce Pearl - Scandals, so much hate for KY over the years, best years behind him.

Donovan - He already passed on us once. He’d end up just taking a check. His best years are over.

Mark Pope truly loves Kentucky and he has proven he can coach. No he hasn’t got a NC in his belt, but neither did Pitino, or Cal, or Tubby or many coaches for that matter. That just means he has the fire to get it done. He would bring the passion back to the bluegrass, and wouldn’t have to go to $10M and could use funds for other means.
Not only has he not won a title, he hasn’t won a single tournament game, and he’s the only name on that list who hasn’t. Not my team, but seems like a major black hole on his resume for a program like UK, unless it was a hire from your own staff, like Jon Scheyer, which this is not.

Pitino - too old,

Neither Oates or Hurley flipped us off. Get out of your emotions. Bruce Pearl has had scandals, and while he’s not my first pick, he’s only had good things to say about our program and has only ever shown our program respect.

I agree with you about Donovan. Pitino’s age is a near the bottom of my list of why I’d stop watching if UK lowered the dignity of the head coaching position by hiring him. But yes, he is too old, and his best days are wayyyyyy behind him.

Pitino - too old,

Why don't you go LARGE on Mark Pope. 🤡

Pitino - too old,

Did you go large on Pope? Has anyone heard Pope say a word about UK since he’s been a coach?

Pitino - too old,

To dismiss Drew so easily and bang the drum for Mark freaking Pope is insanely comical. What an absolute moronic idea.

Pitino - too old,

life suicide GIF by David

I doubt it. Honestly he’s a guy that might be ready in 5 years…I think you could consider offering Pitino to come back as a bridge and make a new hire in 5 years, but that’s a lot of what ifs

Mark Pope is a winner guys. Yes, he doesn’t have the resume, but he has it. He’s like a scheyer hire or Hubert Davis. They are succeeding just fine.

Last week, Pope was in Arizona for the Final Four and participated in a live interview with Rob Dauster from The Field of 68 Media Network. Pope was asked how he balances his love for Kentucky from his playing days and his love of BYU as a coach.

RELATED STORIES​

“Oh, I love Kentucky. You don’t understand; I love Kentucky. Like, in my soul, I love Coach P (Pitino) and I love Kentucky,” said Mark Pope to the Field of 68 on April 4. “And I’m trying to get a game with St. John’s so we can beat him. I would love to play Kentucky because I want to beat them. That doesn’t mean I don’t love them. I love them like crazy. I love them in my soul. But right now, BYU’s trying to win, man. We’re trying to win. So there’s no conflict for me at all.”

Pitino - too old,

Yes, he’s one of us, but can he recruit?

New name to consider. Bill Self. Will he get a call? He is a pretty good coach. Will he excite you guys? Let’s wait and see.

• Haha
Reactions: Fox2monk
Mark Pope is a winner guys. Yes, he doesn’t have the resume, but he has it. He’s like a scheyer hire or Hubert Davis. They are succeeding just fine.

Last week, Pope was in Arizona for the Final Four and participated in a live interview with Rob Dauster from The Field of 68 Media Network. Pope was asked how he balances his love for Kentucky from his playing days and his love of BYU as a coach.

RELATED STORIES​

“Oh, I love Kentucky. You don’t understand; I love Kentucky. Like, in my soul, I love Coach P (Pitino) and I love Kentucky,” said Mark Pope to the Field of 68 on April 4. “And I’m trying to get a game with St. John’s so we can beat him. I would love to play Kentucky because I want to beat them. That doesn’t mean I don’t love them. I love them like crazy. I love them in my soul. But right now, BYU’s trying to win, man. We’re trying to win. So there’s no conflict for me at all.”
I would love to have him. He would recruit better and loves UK. Runs great stuff. Very smart guy.

Not only has he not won a title, he hasn’t won a single tournament game, and he’s the only name on that list who hasn’t. Not my team, but seems like a major black hole on his resume for a program like UK, unless it was a hire from your own staff, like Jon Scheyer, which this is not.
None of our previous coaches had won a title. Where has that requirement come from. Neither Duke or NC had that as a requirement and they seem to be doing alright. I think winning your probably one in a coach's career title before getting here in not good. Makes me feel like they have been used up.

Pitino - too old,

Cal already had major tournament success with Memphis and UMASS.

Pope is interesting, but down the road perhaps. Heck, he does have BYU ranked in preseason polls for next year (I thought I saw #12, with Drew's Baylor at #10).

Reactions: IIIBradIII
I would love to have him. He would recruit better and loves UK. Runs great stuff. Very smart guy.
Mark Pope would end up recruiting guys that want to win. We’ve had teams full of McDonald’s all Americans… it doesn’t work if they are just here for ride to the NBA. I’m not saying Mark Pope can’t get 5 stars, but I want the right 5 stars.

Mark Pope gets us back to KY basketball and not the NBA D-league. We could save an extra 3-4M on this hire to help lure recruits?

If we're taking flyers on a coach, then I'm on the Todd Golden wagon. This is just my opinion, but to want Pope over Drew is crazy. If Pope didn't have the Kentucky connection, this wouldn't even be a conversation.
What do you think about Hubert davis at NC? He had no record of anything. Not doing too bad.

What do you think about Hubert davis at NC? He had no record of anything. Not doing too bad.
I'm not the biggest fan of Davis, but his results speak for themselves. That's why I'm a Todd Golden fan. Is he ready for the big stage yet? Probably not, but his future is bright. I've said this before, Kentucky can make a good coach great and a great coach a superstar. As a fellow fan, I think we need to remember that. There are only two guys who didn't win a title here. That says more than you think.

Pitino - too old,

Bb25 GIF by Big Brother

The fact is there are no great coaches out there any more besides Pitino and he is not getting a call. You are taking a chance with anyone you hire. Everyone on this board bitches at every name that is brought up and there are no sure fire names out there, besides Hurley. It’s a crap shoot. Hell I am 70 years old and know enough about our history and the game itself having been a coach and ref, that I am willing to take a chance on a guy like Pope. Anyone we hire, we are taking a chance on. Standards are ridiculously high on this board and the coaches that meet them are gone. Anyway, whoever Mitch hires I am all in. Not sure how many years I got left but I want to be excited again. Peace.

Pitino - too old,

You're as bad at this as you are gambling

Jon Scheyer = Duke Head Coach with no previous head coaching experience done decent so far . Duke Alum

Hubert Davis= North Carolina Head Coach with bo previous Head Coaching experience done well so far. North Carolina Alum

Mark Pope 9 years head coach has done decent where he’s been. UK Alum.

Why wouldn’t he do good here given all the resources that KY has to offer and he loves the University…. I like this better than the options past Donovan and Hurley…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT