ADVERTISEMENT

Yet Another Post on Coach Options

Coach Marrow

Blue Chip Prospect
Mar 23, 2020
I have mentally accepted that Cal will likely be here next year because UK is not a win at all costs athletic program like Bama.

But…
Would Tommy Lloyd leave Arizona this soon? Is Scott Drew just a younger Cal? Is Brad Underwood that good? Does anyone like Oats? Sampson is older and has previous NCAA issues. Pearl is a known commodity in a good and equally bad way(I also wouldn’t want his son as an assistant). I don’t know much about Golden from Florida? Is Sean Miller like a worse version of Cal?

Who could win and make the fan base mostly happy? I would probably vote for Scott Drew at this point.

Edited original post

Last edited:
Billy Clyde, never, ever forget that lesson. I'll pass one any one or two year flavor of the moment coach. You have to get a proven coach or keep Cal.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Lloyd literally just got an extension. We don't move on from Cal for Leonard Hamilton jesus Christ.

Pearl is really the only one that I think rejuvenates this thing. IMO Drew should be the backup option in case the big splashes don't work.

Lloyd literally just got an extension. We don't move on from Cal for Leonard Hamilton jesus Christ.

Pearl is really the only one that I think rejuvenates this thing. IMO Drew should be the backup option in case the big splashes don't work.
I’m not saying we should ever hire Hamilton. Just saying he might even be an upgrade over apathetic NBA draft focused content Cal.

The hatred of Drew on this board is weird. So, the guy who built a program from scratch into a title winner and year in year out contender is a backup option to a greasy carnival barker with one Final Four on his resume?

Drew isn’t my first choice, but he’s a mile above Pearl

Reactions: gbl97
I’m not saying we should ever hire Hamilton. Just saying he might even be an upgrade over apathetic NBA draft focused content Cal.
Doesn't matter that he's an upgrade though. You cannot fire Cal with the financial impact and not have a hire in mind AND have contacted them. This isn't a coaching search if we move on, there will be a handful of names that will already have been contacted before the move is made.

I have mentally accepted that Cal will likely be here next year because UK is not a win at all costs athletic program like Bama.

But…
Would Tommy Lloyd leave Arizona this soon? Is Scott Drew just a younger Cal? Is Brad Underwood that good? Does anyone like Oats? Sampson is older and has previous NCAA issues. Pearl is a known commodity in a good and equally bad way.

Who could win and make the fan base mostly happy?

Edited original post
Don’t mentally accept anything because all options are on the table bud.

Clyde had no business being hired. Acie Law beat UL in Rupp and that was good enough for our AD. The laziest and most pathetic hire ever.
Acie Law must have been incredible to carry BCG like that. Probably out played his athletic talent level as much as any player I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: BlueRunner11
The hatred of Drew on this board is weird. So, the guy who built a program from scratch into a title winner and year in year out contender is a backup option to a greasy carnival barker with one Final Four on his resume?

Drew isn’t my first choice, but he’s a mile above Pearl
Drew also has that single run to the final championship. So they both have 1 final four. Yeah he's way better.

Say what you want but Cal is right about one thing, UK is not right for everyone. Not players or coaches. People on here say they don’t like Cal’s ego but it takes a big ego to be the UK coach. I’m not sure who that new big ego coach will be. Pearl, maybe but I doubt MB would ever hire him.

Drew also has that single run to the final championship. So they both have 1 final four. Yeah he's way better.
UK has never hired a coach who won a title at another school. I believe that’s why these guys pitino, cal, tubby won from day 1. I mean it took pitino a couple years but hell that was coming off a near death penalty

Reactions: rivercatinfl

But…
Would Tommy Lloyd leave Arizona this soon? Is Scott Drew just a younger Cal? Is Brad Underwood that good? Does anyone like Oats? Sampson is older and has previous NCAA issues. Pearl is a known commodity in a good and equally bad way(I also wouldn’t want his son as an assistant). I don’t know much about Golden from Florida? Is Sean Miller like a worse version of Cal?

Who could win and make the fan base mostly happy? I would probably vote for Scott Drew at this point.

Edited original post
Mark miller off your list. What the hell has he done? Where’s his team this year. Lloyd let’s see what happens. I’m open but I need to see him make a final four. Underwood is underachiever. If Oates makes a final four then we can talk. Barney is crapping his pants at the prospect of having to hire another coach so he may take the easy way out here. But if he doesn’t move cal along Barney won’t be here next year. That’s my call

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT