ADVERTISEMENT

Something we all should be able to agree on

To his credit, I think Cal opened his eyes this past season. I think we've been in a lull since 2015. And I think the 9-16 season woke him up. I think he realized we need change.

He overhauled the coaching staff. He's embraced shooting at the cost of the elite athleticism he's always coveted so much. He went out and got veterans in the transfer portal instead of bragging about how many freshmen we start.

Since the ND game, the offense has been better. A lot better. So I think we're starting to see SOME results of the changes. That being said, I think we're a year or 2 away from really seeing where this thing will go with Cal. I want results now as bad as anyone. But Cal deciding in the past off-season to change things probably means it takes a year or 2 to see the ultimate results.

I really thought everyone would see the point of the post and actually agree for once, I knew there would be someone that would screw it up, I thought it would be Bass, or KL, but nope, it's you.
Why don't you re-read your post and tell me why you think any of what you said is something everyone would agree on?

I'm somehow screwing up your post because you wanted everyone to agree with you?

I'm lost at what you're trying to accomplish with this?

I don't want Cal to leave, I don't think he is doing a bad job. I wanted to see some changes and he has been implementing them. Am I disappointed we've lost two games I feel we should have won? Sure. But do I think Cal is the one best able to right the ship? Yup!

Do I want Brad Stephens? Nope.

Do I care he yells during the game? Nope.

Do I think he talks down to fans? Nope.

And because I disagree with you I'm messing up the post? Lmfao.

You sir are ridiculous. Your post should have been titled: Another rant of opinions.

Reactions: 4Pinocchios
I don't know how you can go to getting tight in big games, and then look and see that he has won more tournament games than anyone since he has been at UK. Don't give me the talent excuse either, there is one other particular coach that is considered the best of all time that has had the same talent or better over the same period that hasn't won as many games.

The issue with us as fans is that we pay really close attention to every game UK plays. So we see all the flaws as well as the positives. Other coaches have some of the same flaws, but we aren't paying attention to those guys as much. Here is the issue I have with most of the arguments about Cal, neither side can be objective. All the ones that don't like Cal will give the credit to the players when we win, and blame the coach when we lose. And all the people that love Cal will blame it on anything but the coach. It is actually a combination of both in both situations.

You might not like what Cal does at the end of games, but it seems to be at least as effective, if not more effective than other options. Not to mention, if you listen to the James Young interview after the season in 2014 on KSR, you likely get a clue as to why Cal doesn't draw up plays very often. Apparently, against Wichita State, Cal drew up a play before the James Young 3 that put us ahead, and Young says that when the ball came to him, he had forgotten what he was supposed to do, so he just shot it.

I don't agree with all of the original post, but one thing I can agree on is Scott Drew's offense. It is exactly how a college team should play. It may be a little overkill to even call it an offense, as structurally, it isn't much different than what Cal is doing. It isn't an offense as much as it is just general actions, but what he likes to do is run PnR on one side of the floor, targeting 2 less than stellar defenders. He does a better job than Cal in my opinion, of isolating the advantages he has and using them.
Part of the problem with your thought process is, you're lumping Cal's 2009-2015 seasons together with 2016-2021. You know as well as I do that the recruiting dropped off the table as soon as WWW was moved away from the program and Cal didn’t do himself any favores when he pissed off Phil Knight.

The bottom line is, the game has changed since 2015 and all that supreme talent is not coming to UK. Every year we think we're getting the next generational talent, but more times than not, they're closer to Boston than John Wall.

Since the 2015 season, Cal's NCAAT wins have been way down and his wins over Power 5 teams in the NCAAT are too embarrassing to even talk about.

Then there is the 23-25 record he is sporting now.

You can't ignore the true facts, but you are doing just that when you use 2009-2015 to prop up 2016-2021.

I mean, are you guys actually reading this stuff?

First of all, I didn't mock you for suggesting Bruce Pearl. You are the biggest exaggerator I have ever seen on this board. You take a simple comment and turn it into some crazy ass reach and act like you've been wronged.

We all know Kentucky won’t hire Bruce Pearl. If you read my OP in this thread, it CLEARLY states that I don't want to hire BP, I want his style of play.

Read with your eyes please.
Just giving you a taste of your own medicine. Find where I say I wanted Bruce Pearl. Go ahead. I got more medicine in the cabinet if you need it.

So, you just joined us last Sunday, huh?
Morgousky was banned, told to move on and then came back and not only do you know this, you and all you're little friends yuck it up with him. Why? Because he has the same agenda as you do: "Call sucks". Don't be angry with me if I don't have any respect for any of you because I find hypocrisy to be pathetic. You go after any new username that laughs at the Cal haters, meaning they are laughing at you while giving any new users that hate Cal a pass......even when you know they are retreads like Morgousky. I'd be ashamed if I were you all, but I know you aren't. One set of rules for yourself, another set of rules for those that disagree with you.......... Weak sh*t. Don't hate me of I don't give you the time of day going forward. : )

This is my biggest gripe too.

I think he's taken steps/tried to mitigate it. I think he created the culture year 1 when he talked about how the day we had 5 1st round draft picks was the greatest day in UK history. He spent years and years talking up player's first. And I genuinely think this was a recruiting move. I think he practices what he preaches. But I also think he preaches it hoping better players are coming for "player's first." He talks up all the money our NBA guys have made--again--trying to pull guys into UK.

But the recruiting boon fell off after 2015. But throughout the entire Calipari tenure, we've lost guys that had no business going pro. Some of that you can't control. Someone told the story that Calipari told Archie Goodwin he needed another year, Archie said ok, then left and signed with an agent. Some kids come here with their minds made up. And that goes back to the "players first," "Look at all the NBA money UK guys are making." We recruit using our NBA success--and kids hear that they're coming here to go one and done.

Some guys however, you can influence. And I think this is Cal's biggest failure. I think it was this past off-season or maybe the year prior. He says he gathers information and goes over it with each kid. But he doesn't try to talk them into coming back. He doesn't spend more than 10 or 15 minutes on it.

And I think in a lot of cases, this is probably why Duke and UNC and Louisville get guys like Grayson Allen, Russ Smith, etc. back. Their coaches do the sell job. I remember talk of MKG wanting to come back in 2013. And I don't fault Cal for telling the kid he has to go pro. He went 2nd overall. If you're top 5, you just need to go ahead and go. But at the same time, how many kids have been torn and considered coming back for another year--for Cal to talk them INTO the NBA.

I've always thought everything Cal does comes down to recruiting. I don't think he cares MORE about the NBA stuff than our actual results. He thinks the NBA stuff will lead to better recruiting. But for a while now, it hasn't. And I think being 6-7 years from our last Final 4, people are tired of hearing about the NBA. People are tired of hearing about player's first. All that stuff is a cherry on top of my Sundae when I'm going to Final 4's. Without the ice cream, I don't really care about the cherry.
One-and-done relies on Cal hitting a grand slam at every position EVERY year. If one ends up being a foul ball, which is usually the case, it won't work.

Actually, even if he was able to get the entire top 10 recruits, it still won't do any good if at least one isn't a generational talent.

Young teams aren't winning jack. When you look at the college basketball landscape right now, there are just too many teams that have juniors and seniors that are sound basketball players. They’re better college basketball players than our NBA potential players are and this is why Cal can't beat even average power 5 teams in the NCAAT and is also why he is 23-25 against ranked teams right now. You simply cant do this with young kids that are bred for the NBA game.

Now, Cal has NIL in his corner, if he STILL can't get Wheeler, Toppin, Hopkins, Collins and Allen back, then that tells me it's just never going to happen and it also tells me he's not even trying to get those guys back.

If Cal is just going to keep fielding a brand new team every year, it's over, it was a good run at first, but it’s over. You can't relearn all the trials and tribulations last years team learned, all over again every year. It just won't work.

Just giving you a taste of your own medicine. Find where I say I wanted Bruce Pearl. Go ahead. I got more medicine in the cabinet if you need it.
What the F are you even talking about? You just accused me of mocking you for suggesting UK hires Bruce Pearl and now you're asking me to show YOU where YOU wanted Bruce Pearl.

Am I in the twilight zone?

Just how much alcohol have you pounded down today?

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Why don't you re-read your post and tell me why you think any of what you said is something everyone would agree on?

I'm somehow screwing up your post because you wanted everyone to agree with you?

I'm lost at what you're trying to accomplish with this?

I don't want Cal to leave, I don't think he is doing a bad job. I wanted to see some changes and he has been implementing them. Am I disappointed we've lost two games I feel we should have won? Sure. But do I think Cal is the one best able to right the ship? Yup!

Do I want Brad Stephens? Nope.

Do I care he yells during the game? Nope.

Do I think he talks down to fans? Nope.

And because I disagree with you I'm messing up the post? Lmfao.

You sir are ridiculous. Your post should have been titled: Another rant of opinions.
I found it, I did, I found what the problem is… ..

You're a tard.

What the F are you even talking about? You just accused me of mocking you for suggesting UK hires Bruce Pearl and now you're asking me to show YOU where YOU wanted Bruce Pearl.

Am I in the twilight zone?

Just how much alcohol have you pounded down today?
You did mock me for suggesting UK hire Bruce Pearl. Which is something I did not suggest. So I just turned the tables right back at you is all. Consider it your lesson for the day. I can do it again, if it helps your comprehension

I’m ready for Cal to move on…

IF someone can guarantee me a can’t miss, grand slam hire of a coach that will win multiple titles.

Or

IF Cal continues the trend of losing games he should win and doesn’t make more changes/improvements he needs to make to be a dominant program again.

So I guess I am in wait and see mode right now. No one can guarantee we get a great replacement, so I’m waiting to see if Cal can get us back to dominance.

Reactions: Lempface
One-and-done relies on Cal hitting a grand slam at every position EVERY year. If one ends up being a foul ball, which is usually the case, it won't work.

Actually, even if he was able to get the entire top 10 recruits, it still won't do any good if at least one isn't a generational talent.

Young teams aren't winning jack. When you look at the college basketball landscape right now, there are just too many teams that have juniors and seniors that are sound basketball players. They’re better college basketball players than our NBA potential players are and this is why Cal can't beat even average power 5 teams in the NCAAT and is also why he is 23-25 against ranked teams right now. You simply cant do this with young kids that are bred for the NBA game.

Now, Cal has NIL in his corner, if he STILL can't get Wheeler, Toppin, Hopkins, Collins and Allen back, then that tells me it's just never going to happen and it also tells me he's not even trying to get those guys back.

If Cal is just going to keep fielding a brand new team every year, it's over, it was a good run at first, but it’s over. You can't relearn all the trials and tribulations last years team learned, all over again every year. It just won't work.
Agree 100%.

If guys won't stay here with all that NIL $$ on the table, then Cal won't ever be able to do it. The monster has become too powerful.

Bahahahhahahahahahahhaha.

Ad hominem--When you run out of arguments eh?
No, I just don't feel like arguing with a guy that obviously isn't comprehending what’s being said.

You guys talk about how argumentative the 'fire Cal' guys are, but there are several of you Cal fans in here doing nothing but stirring the pot.

You did mock me for suggesting UK hire Bruce Pearl. Which is something I did not suggest. So I just turned the tables right back at you is all. Consider it your lesson for the day. I can do it again, if it helps your comprehension
Just how many times did you get dropped on your head?

No, I just don't feel like arguing with a guy that obviously isn't comprehending what’s being said.

You guys talk about how argumentative the 'fire Cal' guys are, but there are several of you Cal fans in here doing nothing but stirring the pot.
You need to go back to the drawing board on getting your point across then. I only know what you wrote.

The basis of your post is entirely flawed when you assume, for example, that everyone would want Brad Stephens as a coach when you (should) clearly know some people don't want Cal to leave.

Then you get irritated when several people call you out for being presumptive and you get frustrated because apparently what you wrote isn't what you meant in spirit. Learn to convey your thoughts then guy.

Part of the problem with your thought process is, you're lumping Cal's 2009-2015 seasons together with 2016-2021. You know as well as I do that the recruiting dropped off the table as soon as WWW was moved away from the program and Cal didn’t do himself any favores when he pissed off Phil Knight.

The bottom line is, the game has changed since 2015 and all that supreme talent is not coming to UK. Every year we think we're getting the next generational talent, but more times than not, they're closer to Boston than John Wall.

Since the 2015 season, Cal's NCAAT wins have been way down and his wins over Power 5 teams in the NCAAT are too embarrassing to even talk about.

Then there is the 23-25 record he is sporting now.

You can't ignore the true facts, but you are doing just that when you use 2009-2015 to prop up 2016-2021.
Yea, but the problem is, I compared the same time period for all coaches, and that includes the one coach I pointed at. In fact, that very coach has the same record since 2015 as Cal has, and he has signed the number 1 recruiting class every year. Just because you choose to look at different facts doesn't make my facts any less true. Just because you want to cut off the successful years of Cal to further your point doesn't make it right.

It's like people that want to compare Tubby's last 5 years to Cal's last 5. Statistically they are similar, but the problem is, you are comparing the height of Tubby (post championship) to the low of Cal. I'm not ignoring facts, you are the one doing that, as you want to cut the time period off at 2015. So who is the one ignoring facts?? I used Cal's entire time here, you want to simply use the seasons he hasn't been as good. You would have had a better argument if you had said you can't cut it off at his time here, but use his whole career. I didn't cut the time period off at 2015, I used the entire time period he has been here.

But just for the sake of argument, both Scott Drew and John Calipari have exactly 9 NCAA tournament wins wince 2015, since that is one of the coaches you wanted to use. Are there coaches with more, yes. Mark Few, Jay Wright, and Roy Williams for certain. But like Tubby, it's a little ridiculous to compare Cal's worst part of his career at UK to the height of others coaching career. Even with Cal missing 2 tournaments, he is still 5 NCAA tournament wins ahead of second place coach K since 2010.

Just how many times did you get dropped on your head?
I grew up just fine thank you very much. People have been catchIng on to your ways, I saw through it from the get go. Ole kyjeff got exposed again, must be a day that ends in y.

You need to go back to the drawing board on getting your point across then. I only know what you wrote.

The basis of your post is entirely flawed when you assume, for example, that everyone would want Brad Stephens as a coach when you (should) clearly know some people don't want Cal to leave.

Then you get irritated when several people call you out for being presumptive and you get frustrated because apparently what you wrote isn't what you meant in spirit. Learn to convey your thoughts then guy.
It looks to me like there are 50 people that totally understand what this thread is about, then there is you and gumboots, the 2 stinky kids in the back of the classroom.
Do better.

I grew up just fine thank you very much. People have been catchIng on to your ways, I saw through it from the get go. Ole kyjeff got exposed again, must be a day that ends in y.
The more you post, the more I see similarities between you and kybassfan. That’s not good, in case you were wondering.

It looks to me like there are 50 people that totally understand what this thread is about, then there is you and gumboots, the 2 stinky kids in the back of the classroom.
Do better.
Such well thought out retorts. Good day sir.

Yea, but the problem is, I compared the same time period for all coaches, and that includes the one coach I pointed at. In fact, that very coach has the same record since 2015 as Cal has, and he has signed the number 1 recruiting class every year. Just because you choose to look at different facts doesn't make my facts any less true. Just because you want to cut off the successful years of Cal to further your point doesn't make it right.

It's like people that want to compare Tubby's last 5 years to Cal's last 5. Statistically they are similar, but the problem is, you are comparing the height of Tubby (post championship) to the low of Cal. I'm not ignoring facts, you are the one doing that, as you want to cut the time period off at 2015. So who is the one ignoring facts?? I used Cal's entire time here, you want to simply use the seasons he hasn't been as good. You would have had a better argument if you had said you can't cut it off at his time here, but use his whole career. I didn't cut the time period off at 2015, I used the entire time period he has been here.

But just for the sake of argument, both Scott Drew and John Calipari have exactly 9 NCAA tournament wins wince 2015, since that is one of the coaches you wanted to use. Are there coaches with more, yes. Mark Few, Jay Wright, and Roy Williams for certain. But like Tubby, it's a little ridiculous to compare Cal's worst part of his career at UK to the height of others coaching career. Even with Cal missing 2 tournaments, he is still 5 NCAA tournament wins ahead of second place coach K since 2010.
You make a lot of valid points, but with Cal, there is a clear drop off that started right after 2015 and that can’t be ignored.

Morgousky was banned, told to move on and then came back and not only do you know this, you and all you're little friends yuck it up with him. Why? Because he has the same agenda as you do: "Call sucks". Don't be angry with me if I don't have any respect for any of you because I find hypocrisy to be pathetic. You go after any new username that laughs at the Cal haters, meaning they are laughing at you while giving any new users that hate Cal a pass......even when you know they are retreads like Morgousky. I'd be ashamed if I were you all, but I know you aren't. One set of rules for yourself, another set of rules for those that disagree with you.......... Weak sh*t. Don't hate me of I don't give you the time of day going forward. : )
😄😄😄 Bless your little heart. You're an angry little piss ant retread.
As for Morgousky, I had no idea we "yuck it up". As for friends, it's an anonymous message board. Are you stupid or something? Friends lol. I think of you took the time to look back, I've given numerous likes to members I don't normally agree with. And had civil conversations with them.
Something else, Coachx11, you've been banned 100 times. There's a difference in a guy being banned once, and a guy who gets canned over and over, on here. Find something real in life to get into. You're lonely and you need help. Find it.

Yeah, I understand why UK fans wouldn't want him here, apparently home barbeque's are awful things, but nobody can say his stle of play isn't effective. The guy can coach and he definitely gets our attention whenever we play Auburn (or UT when he was there).
His style of play isn’t effective. He gathers a bunch of shooters and jacks threes. Looks good till they stop falling. They always stop falling. It’s a fools strategy. Not to mention that he is a cheating scumbag, back stabbing individual. Nothing more than a massively corrupt blob of fools gold.

I can see how you might think he is a good fit….

You make a lot of valid points, but with Cal, there is a clear drop off that started right after 2015 and that can’t be ignored.
Only a blind person wouldn't see that. The one question we should have, was pre 2015 Cal one that we will ever see again? I certainly hope so.

Having said that, I have seen people compare Tubby's last 5 years to Cal's last 5 years, and that isn't fair. That is comparing Tubby's height as a coach (post Championship) to Cal's worst of his tenure. Nobody was OK with last season, or at least I hope they weren't. COVID isn't really an excuse. No UK team should ever finish the season kess than .500. NONE. However, I am not as down on Cal's years before last season as many. Not because that level of success satisfies me, but because I know coaches go through hills and valleys, and I hope that another hill is just around the corner. If in 3 more years he hasn't returned to at least the Final Four, then I think there are no more hills to climb. The only reason at this point I am even willing to give him 3 more years is because of COVID. Not an excuse, but it caused one team to not even get a shot, and severely hampered another team, though I'm not sure that team could have been much over .500 even with a full season and typical schedule.

I think you know Cal is not going to change...it has been the same way for 13 years. At this point , any of the coaches you mentioned above would be a good replacement for Cal. My pick would be Rick Pitino, even with the baggage, we would be winning championships. But, it don't matter ...Barney gave Cal a lifetime contract so he is here for the duration unless some one comes up with $$$$$ for the buyout.
One thing that’s easily forgotten about that lifetime contract. Barney offered him that contract at a time when everyone was worrying their ass off that he was gonna take another job. It was done to appease the fan base and assure that we keep him. So it’s fair to bitch about the product on the floor if you’re unhappy but it’s not totally fair to bitch about the contract.

I certainly did, you used a lot of terms like we and our as if wanting Cal gone was a foregone conclusion for everyone, in a post titled, Something we all should be able to agree on. Perhaps you're not as adept at reading as you think you are.
I'm not seeing where he said anything about wanted Cal gone. It looks like you are reading things into what he is saying. In fact, I think he said the opposite of wanting Cal gone.

I
His style of play isn’t effective. He gathers a bunch of shooters and jacks threes. Looks good till they stop falling. They always stop falling. It’s a fools strategy. Not to mention that he is a cheating scumbag, back stabbing individual. Nothing more than a massively corrupt blob of fools gold.

I can see how you might think he is a good fit….
If that's what you see when you watch Auburn play, you don't have a clue what you're looking at.

I mean that in the nicest way.

I

If that's what you see when you watch Auburn play, you don't have a clue what you're looking at.

I mean that in the nicest way.
I see that cheating bastard in the coaches box. I see you writing more of your PlayStation strategy. Both sights are a disgrace.

Just my constructive criticism.

Which is why he'll never be offered the UK job, but he can coach, that’s why some would be willing to forgive.
Cal wasn't squeaky clean before he got here

Which is why he'll never be offered the UK job, but he can coach, that’s why some would be willing to forgive.
Cal wasn't squeaky clean before he got here either.
I have nothing but disdain for the ncaa. If this had been Ky under their scope we would have gotten post season bans. As far as pearl goes he is an ok coach,let me know when he wins something.

Every one of his threads is a carbon copy. He thinks his threads have to be agreed upon 100% by the masses. If you don't agree, you're dense or dumb. He's a dingbat.
Be careful. Little Jeffy will stick out his lower lip and accuse you of being Ellen. It’s his goto comeback.

Reactions: 4Pinocchios
I'm not seeing where he said anything about wanted Cal gone. It looks like you are reading things into what he is saying. In fact, I think he said the opposite of wanting Cal gone.
How can you say we all want Brad Stephens without meaning you don't want the current coach? Lol

Pumpers suck, too. Make your point and move on. Pumpers and bashers that never shut up and start threads over and over with the same point stated a different way are the worst. Oh, and enjoy ignore - make the best of it.
Oh no the newbie who joined Sunday and has 70 posts is gonna block me?!?!

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

How can you say we all want Brad Stephens without meaning you don't want the current coach? Lol
I think the overall point of his post was that Cal is the right fit but he needs to adapt to a more modern offense. You are taking one generic comment where he said we would all love to get Brad Stephens and using it out of the context of his overall post. He didn't say we would all love to fire Cal and replace him with Brad Stephens. You are reading that into his post. Would I love to get Brad Stephens? Yes. Would I fire Cal tomorrow to get him? No. Context matters. I think a large percentage of the fan base would love to get Stephens at some point in time. I see nothing wrong with that comment. I don't see anything in his post saying lets fire Cal to get brand X. You are reading that into his post.

Cal has much of chance as changing as the goobers on here do.

Also the NBA controls the one and done...I am quite sure Cal would love to have his great players for 3 years like football does or baseball (if they do not go pro straight out of HS). One and done is stupid...it should be like baseball and football rules.
Look when you coach the #1 basketball program on the planet and make $10 million per year you need to be responsible, accountable, flexible, innovative, etc. to maintain ...in Cal's own words "THE GOLD STANDARD". Despite his baggage, the rug doctor from Kansas has been amazingly consistent at a lesser program, with less talent and not $10 million per year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT